Sexy men & The Goose Conspiracy

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Well good. I was worried he had died or something.

Unfortunately Tenbones felt the No Politics rule was too restrictive for him and had a falling out with Endless over it

OHT sadly passed apparently - That was a blow

EDIT: turns out OHT's passing is unconfirmed, I misread something, so sorry about that. We still don't know what happened, he disappeared suddenly from the internet - here, the site, his social media profiles.

Last edited:
Well good. I was worried he had died or something.
He left because we got into a debate about Marvel comics and he thought I pinned him into not talking about politics when he insisted that I was skirting around the rule myself. I didn’t know what he was talking about and still don’t.

He left because we got into a debate about Marvel comics and he thought I pinned him into not talking about politics when he insisted that I was skirting around the rule myself. I didn’t know what he was talking about and still don’t.

Yeah, I didn't really understand the argument either - a shame because I liked him, but if he feels more comfortable posting at The Site, I wish him the best.

Not the only member I noticed quietly leave. Was looking for tenbones the other day and realized I hadn’t seen anything in a good long while

It wasn't that quiet and wasn't a case of someone leaving the forum out of frustration or anger: Seadna announced that he had a RL major (believe it was a writing) project that he had to focus on and the net and this forum in particular was going to be too tempting as a distraction so he was going cold turkey. He didn't promise to return but he didn't say it was forever either.

Yeah, I didn't really understand the argument either - a shame because I liked him, but if he feels more comfortable posting at The Site, I wish him the best.
Don't want to restart the discussion, but my understanding was, these days it's impossible to talk here about the comics industry, due to the admittedly political nature of many of the decisions.

It wasn't a generalization though. It was statistical that women have a higher chance of a fatal decision on a date than men. It was taken as a generalization in an uncharitable reading imo.

The point was clarified and after that clarification it was apparently needed to say lwts move on... but this was brought up. Why do we need a ruling... just a glitch and move on as happened.
I think what Shipyard Locked Shipyard Locked was saying, he can correct me if wrong, is that certain statistics are commonly used in political arguments to the point that they become a form of shibboleth. As an example, it's a CDC statistic that the leading cause of death for Black males aged 1-44 is by Homicide, overwhelmingly by other Black males. Chances are...the majority of the time you're going to hear specific political arguments following that statistic.

Personally, I think "women have a greater reason than men to be wary of other men" is axiomatic, and speaks directly to the topic of women in a hobby dominated by men without painting with too broad a brush, or as a stand-in for political argument.

Don't want to restart the discussion, but my understanding was, these days it's impossible to talk here about the comics industry, due to the admittedly political nature of many of the decisions.

which is fair - I don't talk about the comics industry here myself, much, besides broadstrokes, But I haven't had an issue talking about superhero RPGs.

The comics industry’s biggest problem isn’t their political agenda, it’s that they haven’t come up with an original idea since the 90s. In some ways I feel that is a result of the market imploding right around that time and they are still playing it safe decades later.

The comics industry’s biggest problem isn’t their political agenda, it’s that they haven’t come up with an original idea since the 90s.

To paraphrase Tolkien, Evil can't create, it can only corrupt the creations of others

In this case "Evil" meaning fanboys (and fangirls), as I think the industry has been (to it's detriment) essentially take over by fans.

BTW, something really cool about Earthdawn was that everyone had artistic skills, because anyone possessed by a Horror couldn't create a piece of art.

I like that. I liked a lot of Earthdawn's ideas, the thorn elves whose attempt to thwart the Horrors ended up backfiring and leading to them essentially cenobiting themselves were particularly cool.

Honestly, this is what drove me towards anime - just the desperation for stories that weren't formulaic and predictable recycled attempts to profit off my nostalgia.

High school setting, high school setting, high school setting, middle school setting!... high school setting, isekai, isekai, isekai, high school setting but thinly disguised as isekai...

High school setting, high school setting, high school setting, middle school setting!... high school setting, isekai, isekai, isekai, high school setting but thinly disguised as isekai...
No one can speak ill of Ping Pong Club. When we first saw this back in the 90s, when we understood far less about Japanese culture than we do now, it was the funniest, most absurd thing ever:

giant robot battles, genetically engineered teenagers fighting aliens, Sherlock Holmes told from the PoV of Moriarty mixed with Japanese folklore, medieval epic tale of revenge, disgraced samurai cursed with an inability to die, teen romance comedy of manners with shapeshifting inserted, a deep exploration of the nature of evil set in post-unified Germany, a pastoral coming of age story set against a backdrop of British folklore, an exploration of medieval economics centered around a merchant's unlikely friendship with a forgotten agricultural god, a superhero that is so powerful that no one believes he is real and never receives credit for his accomplishments, a generations-spanning space opera cataloguing an intergalactic war between two opposing (but equally empathetic) sides, a philosophical exploration of artificial intelligence developing in the internet attempting to communicate with and experience the outside world, a neglected orphan who accidentally earns a favour from a Lovecraftian Old One and wishes for them to take the role of an elder sibling they never had, a psychological folk horror where time constantly resets leading up to inevitable horrific deaths at a harvest festival, a werewolf systematically taking on the yakuza organized crime families, a sex-comedy about a travelling student out to learn as many different trades as he can after dropping out of law school, a generational horror about eugenics and the evolution of a new species set to replace mankind...

No need to get protective TristramEvans TristramEvans, I'm teasing from a place of love. :wink:

But I am pretty tired of watching dull children having adventures more suitable to 20-30somethings, even if those adventure are highly imaginative.
I kind of get it though. Some tropes ARE rampant and kind of annoying.

I've been reading the original Vampire Hunter D novels. I got bored after 4 of them and stopped. Why?

The protagonist is a bore: no emotion, no expression, no flaws, and he looks like a 17 year old that everyone, women AND men, fall head over heels in love with at a single glance. In each book there's a drop-dead gorgeous female "love interest" who is also a 17 year old. Every single time.

I mean... okay. But sometimes it feels like wish fulfillment of the authors...

I kind of get it though. Some tropes ARE rampant and kind of annoying.

I've been reading the original Vampire Hunter D novels. I got bored after 4 of them and stopped. Why?

The protagonist is a bore: no emotion, no expression, no flaws, and he looks like a 17 year old that everyone, women AND men, fall head over heels in love with at a single glance. In each book there's a drop-dead gorgeous female "love interest" who is also a 17 year old. Every single time.

I mean... okay. But sometimes it feels like wish fulfillment of the authors...

Yeah I gave up after about t3 volumes, despite both Vampire Hunter D films being some of my favourites of all time. The books felt like...well, fanfic (even though they technically aren't).

Yeah I gave up after about t3 volumes, despite both Vampire Hunter D films being some of my favourites of all time. The books felt like...well, fanfic (even though they technically aren't).
"Fanfic"! You nailed it. That's exactly what they felt like. I'm still pissed I got that Humble Bundle. At least the money went to charity.

"Fanfic"! You nailed it. That's exactly what they felt like. I'm still pissed I got that Humble Bundle. At least the money went to charity.

I did wonder at the time if some of the blame fell on the translation - maybe they are more beautifully or subtly worded in the original Japanese.

Seadna is working on making a book about Celtic/Irish folklore. Apparently, a lot of that is not written down and he wants it to be, so it can be better preserved for the future. Also, it would make it more available to the rest of the world too.
This forum and the internet in general, was to tasty a morsel. So he had to go cold turkey on it. The world would be a better place, if more people learnt to do the same.

Seadna is working on making a book about Celtic/Irish folklore. Apparently, a lot of that is not written down and he wants it to be, so it can be better preserved for the future. Also, it would make it more available to the rest of the world too.
This forum and the internet in general, was to tasty a morsel. So he had to go cold turkey on it. The world would be a better place, if more people learnt to do the same.

I've been tempted to from time to time. I can't help but think of how much more productive I would be without the distractions.

I think the biggest issue with American comics is distribution. When Diamond increased their minimum sales volume they drove the indie market onto the internet where there's very little chance of making a buck or getting "discovered" It's not just no new stories, it's no new talent.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back