Sexy men & The Goose Conspiracy

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
TBH I don't think comics were all that original BITD, but we were kids then. Things will naturally look different nowadays.

Tho I will say the prevalence of Whedon-esque dialogue isn't really something I dig.

The Pub's thoughts on Whedon-esque dialogue...

View attachment 52499
I must be the only person who still enjoys that. But it's got to be done in moderation. I feel like some of the latest Marvel movies have gone "More is better!!!" which generally I approve of but it's not working for me for some reason.

I must be the only person who still enjoys that. But it's got to be done in moderation. I feel like some of the latest Marvel movies have gone "More is better!!!" which generally I approve of but it's not working for me for some reason.
I do enjoy some of it. I mostly quite enjoyed Robert Downie Jr doing it for example, he's more of an exception than the rule.

I'm the same, I like snappy patter, just not when it undermines any genuine emotion or stakes

I've been tempted to from time to time. I can't help but think of how much more productive I would be without the distractions.

1670269181577.png

It's been my goal for some years now. Problem for me, is finding something I'm so interested in doing, that'll just fill my time automatically. Because of my schizophrenia, I suffer heavily from lack of motivation to just get started. But I really do want to do something creative myself.
This year I did start on playing around with Blender, to get into 3d modeling. I also downloaded Unity and played around with that.

But this year, has sadly also been very hard on a personal level. My mom hasn't been doing so well this year. So I've spent a lot of time helping her out with things. It stresses me out. So I simply don't have the energy to be creative.

You lot are as bad as the 'Thanos was right' crowd. Grokk the wise was called that for a reason. His treaty let us live after the Geeses strategic loss to the Neanderthals allowed them to triumph over the homosapiens but allowed us to live in fear under their benevolent tyranny.

Call me goose-lover all you want. When our feathered overlords rise up to sweep away the masquerade of mammalian hegemony, I'll be sat at their right wing, not getting eaten. And where will you be?

Getting eaten. That's where.

Sherlock Holmes told from the PoV of Moriarty mixed with Japanese folklor

teen romance comedy of manners with shapeshifting inserted, , a philosophical exploration of artificial intelligence developing in the internet attempting to communicate with and experience the outside world, a neglected orphan who accidentally earns a favour from a Lovecraftian Old One and wishes for them to take the role of an elder sibling they never had,

a werewolf systematically taking on the yakuza organized crime families,

Tell me about these. I recognize most of the others...

Call me goose-lover all you want. When our feathered overlords rise up to sweep away the masquerade of mammalian hegemony, I'll be sat at their right wing, not getting eaten. And where will you be?

Getting eaten. That's where.
I've missed such madness.

No, your not! A good story means I will enjoy a movie/show once. A good story with Whedonesque dialogue means I can rewatch the movie/show an indefinite number of times and still love it. Whether it Firefly, the MCU movies or the Justice League animated series (not scripted by Whedon but with the same stlye of dialogue) it's the banter that keeps me coming back. Whether it's Fury asking captive Loki is "Real power wants a magazine" or Cap telling Widow, with regards to Thor and Loki "There is only one God and I am pretty sure he doesn't dress that way", the banter is entirely in character.

The Deadpool and the lastest Thor movies push a different style of humour, and I can see how the more slapstick approach can undermine the drama and emotion. But Whedonesque banter, when done correctly, helps establish the character and is something I personally really enjoy.

So, do I hand in my Pub membership card ?

No, your not! A good story means I will enjoy a movie/show once. A good story with Whedonesque dialogue means I can rewatch the movie/show an indefinite number of times and still love it. Whether it Firefly, the MCU movies or the Justice League animated series (not scripted by Whedon but with the same stlye of dialogue) it's the banter that keeps me coming back. Whether it's Fury asking captive Loki is "Real power wants a magazine" or Cap telling Widow, with regards to Thor and Loki "There is only one God and I am pretty sure he doesn't dress that way", the banter is entirely in character.

The Deadpool and the lastest Thor movies push a different style of humour, and I can see how the more slapstick approach can undermine the drama and emotion. But Whedonesque banter, when done correctly, helps establish the character and is something I personally really enjoy.

You can but I'll hand it right back to you. I refuse your resignation!

TBH I don't think comics were all that original BITD, but we were kids then. Things will naturally look different nowadays.

Tho I will say the prevalence of Whedon-esque dialogue isn't really something I dig.
I don't know. I've been reading a lot of the old British 60s & 70s stuff like Fran of the Floods and The Spider and the creativity and passion leaps off the page. And this is all strips that I'm not old enough to have read the first time round, so it's not simple nostalgia.

If it helps, I can tell you that Whedonesque is considered an insult when your manuscript is appraised by professionals.
It's lazy, bores the reader to death and smells like a spoilt rich kid who killed a friend at summer camp.
So, it smells of drug use and nervous breakdown:grin:?

The dialogue in the Avengers movies seemed in character to me for the most part. A couple times it moved into forced comedy, but not very often.

Deadpool is supposed to be comedic in the Deadpool way. Mission Accomplished.

Thor becoming slapstick vaudevillian is something I never really expected.

There's a strange dynamic in recent movies where all the violence/death/villain things are happening, but then everything else is comedy around it. Remove the blood to get PG-13 and you're good to go. No matter how serious the topic, it's delivered in an ironic way with wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

The world needs mindless popcorn movies. The world doesn't need ONLY mindless popcorn movies.

There's a strange dynamic in recent movies where all the violence/death/villain things are happening, but then everything else is comedy around it.

This is one of the many reasons I despised Spiderman: No Way Home.

The entire mess starts like a doofy sitcom, with an idiot Dr. Strange failing to brief Spiderman on what exactly the spell will do before he starts casting it, then trying to course-correct the magic while idiot Spiderman keeps editing his request in a panic.

Har har har.

What does this light-hearted comedic buffoonery relentlessly lead to?
Aunt May dying somberly and Spiderman bawling his eyes out over the guilt.

It's like Homer Simpson pratfalling over mayonnaise, down a bowling lane and into the pins, then showing him tragically die from the resulting concussion and asking me to take it seriously. :eyeroll:

I have a terrible secret I have to share with you guys. You've been so kind and welcoming that I feel bad keeping it secret any longer...

I....

I.......

I am actually a goose in real life. I only pretend to be a human on the internet for the attention. :sad:

I don't know. I've been reading a lot of the old British 60s & 70s stuff like Fran of the Floods and The Spider and the creativity and passion leaps off the page. And this is all strips that I'm not old enough to have read the first time round, so it's not simple nostalgia.

There are lots of good comics in every era, including now, but most of the good work in American comics these days imo is in the creator controlled non-superhero comics.

Marvel comics had a good run from the 60s to the late 80s approx. but even then there are loads of disposable storylines. In general the artwork tended to outstrip the writing even in those days.

There are lots of good comics in every era, including now, but most of the good work in American comics these days imo is in the creator controlled non-superhero comics.

Marvel comics had a good run from the 60s to the late 80s approx. but even then there are loads of disposable storylines. In general the artwork tended to outstrip the writing even in those days though.
What I find interesting is the increasing number of creators who do the mainstream stuff and the creator controlled stuff as well.

It's not that Gillen's superheroes aren't good, but I suspect he partially does them so he can do his weird shit about D&D or the ghost of Britpop.

I have a terrible secret I have to share with you guys. You've been so kind and welcoming that I feel bad keeping it secret any longer...

I....

I.......

I am actually a goose in real life. I only pretend to be a human on the internet for the attention. :sad:
Thank you for admitting this. Please submit yourself to The Hague for your war crimes trial.

The first series of Spiderman films were decent (Toby McGuire) but the modern super hero films peaked with the first Iron Man and after The Avengers it has been really spotty. I will admit to loving the end of Thor Ragnarök with the Immigrant song sound track and Hulk whomping on Fenris Wolf. Unfortunately a great 10 minutes or so can't hold up a whole movie.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back