Shadowrun 6E

finarvyn

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this? I guess they've released a starter set and a board game, with main rules to follow.

I've owned various editions of Shadowrun over the years, but never actually played the game. Read one novel, I think. The setting always seemed pretty cool.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
I hear about it often as I follow Catalyst's BattleTech releases pretty faithfully. As someone who hasn't followed Shadowrun since 2nd edition, Catalyst's approach seems to be doubling down on the Crunch, which is not really my bag in regards to RPGs.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The starter set isn't out over on this side of the pond at any rate. Was supposed to arrive late June, so seems a little late.

finarvyn

Legendary Member
Reaction score
So if the current company is "doubling down on the Crunch," are there any older editions which would be more useful to me? I'm not really a Crunch guy, either. :sad:

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
So if the current company is "doubling down on the Crunch," are there any older editions which would be more useful to me? I'm not really a Crunch guy, either. :sad:
2e is the only edition I'm familiar with. It's got some issues (mainly regarding the hacking rules), but the basic system and character creation I'd say is probably only about as crunchy as the D6 system

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Wow.

5e was obtuse. Not sure how you get worse.
Well Catalyst is a company run by a fiction writer who is a huge fanboy of a very complex wargame. I took one look at what they did with the Mechwarrior RPG, and was like "I do not have enough hours in my life left to run this system"

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Reaction score
From what I've been reading it sounds like 6E is going to be simpler overall. With a few odd mechanics choices. We'll see. If not, well, there is Corporia (though humans only pretty much, as its monster are monsters) but I could hack it. I also have Shadowrun: Anarchy which with the GM running a game actually works as a really stripped down SR game. Plus, at the end of the day, I have got a game, I can adapt I wrote (High Valor) that's pretty darn flexible for action-oriented gaming.

tenbones

Grand Poobah of the D.O.N.G.
Reaction score
I plan on checking this edition out. If I don't like the system (which is my *only* hesitation)... I'll seriously consider getting it anyhow and do a conversion of it to CPRed. I figure the core Interlock system has all the non-magic stuff covered, I can probably extrapolate the magic stuff from the Witcher RPG pretty easy.

If I go this route - I'll make it public. Hopefully I won't have to. Most of my players come from the Shadowrun side of the fence, so getting them to buy into trying 6e would be a snap. (though they're pretty frothy about wanting to CPRed).

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
I've not played since 2E, but I've always wanted to come back. I got some of the 5E but it was a bit crunchy for causal play, and we jump around from games and systems so easier is better.

Shadowrun Anarchy sounds appealing, but the critics give it hell. Anyone here actually played it?

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Shadowrun Anarchy sounds appealing, but the critics give it hell. Anyone here actually played it?

Yes. We ignored the "cues" which are meant for GMless play as ways to hand around the Gm-ing/Players role and found it a much much simpler ruleset that a GM could utilize to make Shadowrun move fast, and quite well. Though it moves fairly firmly from cafeteria-style powers/cybernetic/etc to more effects-based style. It maintained fairly solid playability. I enjoyed it quite well, but the game died due to outside causes.

I offered it to be used for the current game I'm running, but one player insisted on 4E. I'd have broken his mind if I'd said 5th instead. But I enjoy 4E, which is to me as a GM the cleanest of the complex versions. Though sadly once this campaign is over (or stopped for another game for a while) I'll ask if we can move to a simpler system. Simply because I'm doing all the hard work and they forget things like naming their force for spells before casting (and boy, there are some things that are clear mistakes which we realized that are not corrected in any of the text with 20A version.) Though I do enjoy the game, I could have more time to add more plotting, action, interaction, challenges and more if I weren't weighted down by rules.

So I'll be one of the few who pick SR: A over other versions. (As much as I did love 1E and its moving parts.) There are some fair criticisms, I could share if I'd played it recently; but honestly. None stand out clearly to me so they couldn't have been large issues.

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
So I'll be one of the few who pick SR: A over other versions. (As much as I did love 1E and its moving parts.) There are some fair criticisms, I could share if I'd played it recently; but honestly. None stand out clearly to me so they couldn't have been large issues.
I wonder how streamlined SR:A rules would compared (in complexity) to PbtA rules in the Sprawl (and it's Shadowrun like supplements)? Any thoughts?

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Its more flexible in many ways than SOME PbtA games, but not others. (For example Same Flexibility as Monster of the Week, slightly more than Sixth World (harder archetypes)--itself a Shadowrun hack, or Dungeon World.) A lot depends on how "class" based the version of PbtA character types are handled. As there is nothing that prevents mixing a lot of different things in SR: A, beyond a few notes here and there. Of course only so much stacks. So there are limits.

I've not seen the Sprawl, or its fantasy bits are handled.

tenbones

Grand Poobah of the D.O.N.G.
Reaction score
I've softened my views on Shadowrun dramatically since 2e. Not for any other reason than I like the ideas of the setting. I've never been a fan of the system. I can get past that.