Shadowrun 6E

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
That’s some Kevin Siembieda shit right there.

A D&D5 version would be cool but cybernetic would probably be fiendishly hard to integrate without throwing assumptions of balance to the wind.

Maybe SWN can be tweaked to work with it.

Curious about Anarchy. Might check it out.

It would look very different. Augmentations would give advantage a lot. Class powers would be wrapped into some cybernetic enhancement. It would be greatly simplified. Perhaps too much so for some tastes, but probably a better introduction

As much as i am not a fan of anything d20 right now, I would go for that version of the game over the current one. I think it would be an easier introduction for new players.

Between Polychrome and Codex of the Black Sun, it already basically could - urban sci-fantasy is even one of the default presentations of Black Sun's classes.

I haven’t looked at SWN since 2nd edition came out. I really like the idea!

Crawford’s tackled Exalted and done an awesome job of it; pretty sure he’d ace Shadowrun.

the full rulebook is on DriveThru now. . . Some folks in the comments are saying the rules are "dumbed down" and not in a good way. Did you see that in the play test, Séadna Séadna . Big difference in streamlining and dumbing down.
It was simpler than 5E no doubt about it. It also clearly does not admit "build culture" as much. At least from what I saw. This is due to Edge.

1. Roughly speaking the core rule was:
    Roll Attribute + Skill D6, 5 or 6 is a hit, GM sets a certain number of hits need for success

2. On top of this there is magic and hacking. Hacking though is just special skill checks non-Deckers don't have access to and setting detail on being in Augmented or Virtual Reality. Magic is just a single skill check -> Effect if successful -> Check for stun damage (called "drain").

3. Finally there is Edge, a metacurrency reflecting a combination of natural luck, planning and equipment.

Say if you run after somebody down a darkened ally and you have IR googles and your gun has armour piercing and it's raining and you timed it so a train was going past etc

All these situational aspects are distilled into an Edge score for each character. Edge can then be spent on various benefits. In order of how objectionable they will be: rerolls, guaranteed successes, healing, cancelling the Edge of others and some narrative control (e.g. getting a pipe to burst in the enemy's face, police appear, etc)

Characters have an attribute Edge that determines how much Edge they can store between scenes.

Note as an example all guns have an Attack Rating. It varies by distance and includes special aspects like armour piercing. All protection of any form sums into a Defence Rating. These are compared and a difference of 4 gives Edge to the superior side. The point here is that mechanically details of weapons (apart from damage) and armour are represented in Metacurrency terms.

Now I will admit I am a dope and love the setting so much that I'd play Shadowrun even if the creators came over every session to call me a bollocks. However the way player planning is Edge, a lot of equipment mechanically is Edge, Edge can cancel Edge or be burned to create situations that make more Edge and that the game comes with cards summarising the Edge details of weapons suggests the game played RAW would lean toward Magic: The Edge Gathering.

I think being "dumbed down" is tangential to what the change really is. It's replacing hyper-simulation with a metacurrency subsystem.

If you ignore Edge it's basically a servicable World of Darkness like dice pool system. You'd have to convert weapon and armour details into some kind of bonus to attack and soak rolls however.

Yeah, sounds like it has pulled well away from anything I's find fun.

Thanks for the update. Ive been looking forward to a new edition after 5th became unplayable for my group, now im not so sure.

It's going to be interesting to see how Shadowrun 6 fares, being the first Shadowrun edition in a while up against a fully new edition of Cyberpunk as competitor.

It's going to be interesting to see how Shadowrun 6 fares, being the first Shadowrun edition in a while up against a fully new edition of Cyberpunk as competitor.

Well, currently well enough to be the top seller on drivethrurpg. 3 of the top 5 are cyberpunk titles (eclipse phase being the third). So at least enough to explore.

Shrug, maybe I’ll pick it up anyways.

Well, currently well enough to be the top seller on drivethrurpg. 3 of the top 5 are cyberpunk titles (eclipse phase being the third). So at least enough to explore.

Shrug, maybe I’ll pick it up anyways.

I was looking at Eclipse Phase but didn’t pull the trigger yet. I’d like to know more about that game’s system

Thanks Sedna, that looks better than I thought. A reasonably simple system with a lot of metacurrency might be just the thing.

I had and played first edition. It was a reasonably simple dice pool game. A bit crunchier than d6 Star Wars but not by much.

I was looking at Eclipse Phase but didn’t pull the trigger yet. I’d like to know more about that game’s system
The creators released it under Creative Commons and allow filesharing of their game so you can always pick it up that way and then purchase it if you like it enough to use it.

I haven't had the opportunity to spend quality time with 2nd Edition yet, but 1st Edition was basically a properly streamlined and superior in almost every way possible version of Shadowrun 4th Edition adapted to a percentile system instead of a dice pool.

You'd need to do a lot of homebrewing to actually use it for Shadowrun (since it's designed for a transhuman kitchen sink and not a fantasy cyberpunk), but it's one of my favorite games.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back