Shadowrun in the Sprawl

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lessa

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I will just leave this baby here. It's a Shadowrun hack for The Sprawl (a PbtA cyberpunk game) I did a while ago. It showed up in RPGnet and Google+ but I don't think it showed up in these parts. I purposefully used the Apocalypse World layout with Tim Bradstreet and Aulisio art from 1st/2nd ed Shadowrun books to give it that dirty, gritty feel. :hehe:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zAPjs8AprkpoW_u3lvNNTja9vI1oOuav

Preview team:

The Fixer:
2dcbynk.png

The Street Samurai:
zv5zwy.png

The Rigger:
2n0mxsg.png

The Technomancer: (I like to think she is inside the Matrix here, so her art is softer than the rest :wink: )
jjvcyf.png

Last edited:
I haven't played much PbtA yet, but your playbook was a fun read and definitely felt very "Shadowrun" to me. Nice work and thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

Have you ran a game with these? If so, how did it go using the Sprawl/PbtA for Shadowrun?

Thanks!

Have you ran a game with these? If so, how did it go using the Sprawl/PbtA for Shadowrun?
I was about to update this when I saw your question. In fact, we played around 6 sessions now and it's been a huge blast. We're playing loose with the Sprawl missions structure, though, as we prefer things more "open" with the group actively searching for jobs (or personal vendettas against Corps/Gangs/etc), and the GM also intertwining an overarching plot of his here and there.

We are using the map of Seattle from the newest german Seattle box set opened in the center of the table (it's gorgeous, take a look at this preview ! ).

The team has 3 members:

- a Rigger: Rowan, an irish elf.

- a Decker: Phantom, his/her ID is a mistery and everytime we met him/her in meat space he/she was a different person - a hobo first, then a child, then an old woman, etc. Cool concept.

- an ex-Company Man who also happens to be a Shaman of the dog totem (this is me). For those who know he is actually Jake Armitage from the SNES videogame (:shade:) coming back from retirement for a last batch of jobs. I created him primarily as an Mercenary playbook, with a couple advances from the Shaman (notice the old Rutger Hauer face, just like the videogame hehe)

Face
10s9g95.png

Back
b4gw2e.png

Awesome! Thanks for the update. So does it feel like Shadowrun? Or are the mechanics so different that it changes it?

Haha that's from 2nd edition corebook. Blame Tim Bradstreet.

Awesome! Thanks for the update. So does it feel like Shadowrun? Or are the mechanics so different that it changes it?
Oh it totally feels like Shadowrun, yes. We have two Shadowrun vets who never touched a PbtA game before and by the 2nd session they were immediately at home. The game captures perfectly the legwork and mission structure of Shadowrun, as well as the runners specialties and activities. And the moves from The Sprawl are more "grounded" than your typical PbtA game.

The only caveat, as I said previously, is that the game perhaps mimics the mission-based structure too well, and it may feel limiting if you want to go out of it sometimes (like, say, spending a couple sessions to pursue personal goals outside missions). We had to make some small changes to use it in a more looser way.

Last edited:
Thanks, Silva!

I've run one campaign of the Sprawl a year ago, but haven't played Shadowrun since the 1990s. I'll give it a go!

So...

Anyone has a suggestion for an image of the Houngan (voodoo practicioner), in similar style to the others? Something from Tim Bradstreet would be ideal, but I don't remember seeing anything from him in that vein.

Link for the current playbooks with the art style I'm looking for:

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back