Shapeshifter ttrpg suggestions?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Thorns555

Pubber
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have any suggestions on tabletop rpgs that use shapeshifters as a focus? Looking for something more than say, Werewolf (WoD), but with a variety of shapeshifting types.

Liminal, Witchcraft? Though it's not the focus in either of them, it's a possible character type.

Or, you know, Exalted with a Lunar campaign.

Liminal, Witchcraft? Though it's not the focus in either of them, it's a possible character type.
Either of these could work, although I would be inclined to recommend WC over Liminal for a game focused solely on shapeshifters - Abomination Codex has rules for all sorts of different Ferals (WC shapeshifters) and background to how they’re created and factions etc. Liminal’s rules are simpler and focused either on Werewolves (there’s a specific sourcebook, but it’s mainly fluff) or magicians who can assume a variety of forms (shape shifting as a a type of magic). That’s not to say you can’t have shifters other than werewolves in Liminal (werebears are mentioned), but there’s not a lot to differentiate a bear shifter from a wolf shifter mechanically.

Either of these could work, although I would be inclined to recommend WC over Liminal for a game focused solely on shapeshifters - Abomination Codex has rules for all sorts of different Ferals (WC shapeshifters) and background to how they’re created and factions etc. Liminal’s rules are simpler and focused either on Werewolves (there’s a specific sourcebook, but it’s mainly fluff) or magicians who can assume a variety of forms (shape shifting as a a type of magic). That’s not to say you can’t have shifters other than werewolves in Liminal (werebears are mentioned), but there’s not a lot to differentiate a bear shifter from a wolf shifter mechanically.
Awesome, thanks! I have the Abomination Codex but haven't read it yet. I was also just looking at GURPS Shapeshifters. I'm surprised there's never been a stand-alone ttrpg with a complete shapeshifting world setting (all animal types). I know there's got to be a Palladium Games supplement out there, too, or with bits and pieces of shapeshifter stuff. There's one called NightLife but not sure what's in it.

AsenRG AsenRG this is no laughing matter, comrade. Some people might read this and decide to play WW style shapeshifters, locking themselves into an anti-humanist spiral of "why can't I play the shapeshifter I want?", and this outcome would make Luna cry. Cry sloopy, grey-coloured, moon-dust tears.

Funny, that's exactly why I'd recommend Liminal: it doesn't rely much on mechanics to differentiate characters, but it's got wizards that can shapeshift into anything - a player type that I find a lot more interesting than "afflicted" shapeshifters:thumbsup:.

Also, Witchcraft Ferals are either semi-hereditary, or they really hate their lives. Trust me, I was playing a Feral who didn't have that advantage for quite a long time...:shade:
Mythras with After the Vampire Wars.
...but of course, that would be my main suggestion. I don't know what had gotten into me to forget mentioning it:grin:!

AsenRG AsenRG this is no laughing matter, comrade. Some people might read this and decide to play WW style shapeshifters, locking themselves into an anti-humanist spiral of "why can't I play the shapeshifter I want?", and this outcome would make Luna cry. Cry sloopy, grey-coloured, moon-dust tears.
I hope my previous reply clarifies the laughing emoji. I basically agree with the recommendation otherwise...though I've played a shapeshifter that I wanted in W:tF...and in Exalted2e, too:grin:!

I hope my previous reply clarifies the laughing emoji. I basically agree with the recommendation otherwise...though I've played a shapeshifter that I wanted in W:tF...and in Exalted2e, too:grin:!
Lunars are okay so long as you remember that the whole point of Exalted is to save as many humans as you can when you launch the Lifeboat Creation into outer space.

Low-key shapechangers are cool so long as you remember you're the Wolf of God put in place to protect humaity from like the stupid 80s horror movie villains.

So, Doctor AsenRG AsenRG , it seems we agree!

Lunars are okay so long as you remember that the whole point of Exalted is to save as many humans as you can when you launch the Lifeboat Creation into outer space.
...what lifeboat? You mean "when we trample the Yozis beneath our hindpaws and set to fixing them via their captured Infernals", right:grin:?
Low-key shapechangers are cool so long as you remember you're the Wolf of God put in place to protect humaity from like the stupid 80s horror movie villains.
...funny, I've never met one of those:shock:!
I tended to run into the smart ones. I guess your GM used up the available supply:tongue:!
So, Doctor AsenRG AsenRG , it seems we agree!
Indeed we do!

...what lifeboat? You mean "when we trample the Yozis beneath our hindpaws and set to fixing them via their captured Infernals", right:grin:?

...funny, I've never met one of those:shock:!
I tended to run into the smart ones. I guess your GM used up the available supply:tongue:!

Indeed we do!
Okay Infernal Exalts, get Crossfitting, we've a planet-sized spaceship to power with Yozi-sized engines!

All the other shapeshifters can relax while we watch "Penny Dreadful" and send them out into the populace to sniff out contraband bubblegum and pocket knives.

Okay Infernal Exalts, get Crossfitting, we've a planet-sized spaceship to power with Yozi-sized engines!
That's one solution. The other is to get them to fix the Creation as it was...
All the other shapeshifters can relax while we watch "Penny Dreadful" and send them out into the populace to sniff out contraband bubblegum and pocket knives.
:thumbsup:

Funny, that's exactly why I'd recommend Liminal: it doesn't rely much on mechanics to differentiate characters, but it's got wizards that can shapeshift into anything - a player type that I find a lot more interesting than "afflicted" shapeshifters:thumbsup:.

Also, Witchcraft Ferals are either semi-hereditary, or they really hate their lives. Trust me, I was playing a Feral who didn't have that advantage for quite a long time...:shade:

...but of course, that would be my main suggestion. I don't know what had gotten into me to forget mentioning it:grin:!
Don’t get me wrong, I love Liminal - and Liminal’s shifters - but for a game totally focused on shapeshifters and nothing else, the mechanical differentiation of shifters in WC is (IMO) better.

In the oft-maligned Immortal: the Invisible War, every character has a Himsati, or a form they can change into. There is almost no limit to what a Himsati can be, IIRC.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Liminal - and Liminal’s shifters - but for a game totally focused on shapeshifters and nothing else, the mechanical differentiation of shifters in WC is (IMO) better.
Yeah, I just don't put that much stock in mechanical differentiation these days. Unless it's really original.
But I would like shape-shifting to allow for both wizards transforming and for cursed/hereditary cases.

Mythras with After the Vampire Wars
And while not as dedicated as AtVW (which is semi WoD flavored), animism provides for shape shifting spirits and there are several “ manimal” options in the bestiary, like centaurs, panthotaurs, etc. the pieces are there at least

What are Liminal shifters like?
I'm a huge fan of Witchcraft's take on were-critters, so there is that for me. As I do have the books for it. Sadly Levi Kornelson's Skinchangers has had a re-release yet.

What are Liminal shifters like?
Off the top of my head because my books are out in our sleep-out, it’s basically a form of magic - a magician who knows shapeshifting can know multiple forms, and gets the characteristics of that form (so a bird can fly, a wolf has a good sense of smell and sharp teeth etc). Where their current form is helpful to a situation they get a bonus to a skill roll, when it’s unhelpful it’s a penalty. If the form is bigger than human, they get a bonus to Endurance (HP), if smaller a penalty.

A shifter still effectively uses magic to change form (it’s not a disease or curse*, but something you are initiated into) but is limited to that one ‘spell’ and a single form. The upside is that means they don’t need to take the Magician focus (access to all magic) and can be Tough (extra Endurance, access to Tough talents) or Determined (extra Willpower, access to Determined Talents) and can internalise more of the form into their human self.

So a Tough Focus werewolf can get supernatural strength whether they’re in their wolf form or their human form, but being in wolf form will probably also get additional skill bonuses to things like combat etc. A Magician Focus shapeshifter with access to a wolf form, would get the skill bonuses, but not the supernatural strength.

Basically, dedicated Shifters are still fundamentally users of magic but are just better at their single form and can tap therefore tap into powers that Magician shifters can’t. Magician shapeshifters however can learn multiple forms.

*That’s not to say a magician couldn’t curse someone to turn into a ravening monster, but it’s not the default shifter.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head because my books are out in our sleep-out, it’s basically a form of magic - a magician who knows shapeshifting can know multiple forms, and gets the characteristics of that form (so a bird can fly, a wolf has a good sense of smell and sharp teeth etc). Where their current form is helpful to a situation they get a bonus to a skill roll, when it’s unhelpful it’s a penalty. If the form is bigger than human, they get a bonus to Endurance (HP), if smaller a penalty.

A shifter still effectively uses magic to change form (it’s not a disease or curse*, but something you are initiated into) but is limited to that one ‘spell’ and a single form. The upside is that means they don’t need to take the Magician focus (access to all magic) and can be Tough (extra Endurance, access to Tough talents) or Determined (extra Willpower, access to Determined Talents) and can internalise more of the form into their human self.

So a Tough Focus werewolf can get supernatural strength whether they’re in their wolf form or their human form, but being in wolf form will probably also get additional skill bonuses to things like combat etc. A Magician Focus shapeshifter with access to a wolf form, would get the skill bonuses, but not the supernatural strength.

Basically, dedicated Shifters are still fundamentally users of magic but are just better at their single form and can tap therefore tap into powers that Magician shifters can’t. Magician shapeshifters however can learn multiple forms.

*That’s not to say a magician couldn’t curse someone to turn into a ravening monster, but it’s not the default shifter.
Interesting, I've been looking at Liminal and just have not had the money..

Interesting, I've been looking at Liminal and just have not had the money..
I tend to run a lot of urban fantasy and Witchcraft/Armageddon was my go-to for a long time, supplanted by the Dresden Files RPG for a while. Bar a trial of Urban Shadows 2e and the last two modern day (I’ve also run Vaesen as a game) urban fantasy games have all been Liminal (c. 12 episode seasons in on ongoing campaign) and I am mulling over a third season. I’d still lean towards DFRPG if I want a high power game but I now get torn between WC and Liminal - the flavour of Liminal is just great and the system is simple and light weight meaning its quick and easy to run. It also has (IMO) better GMing advice for creating mysteries

I tend to run a lot of urban fantasy and Witchcraft/Armageddon was my go-to for a long time, supplanted by the Dresden Files RPG for a while. Bar a trial of Urban Shadows 2e and the last two modern day (I’ve also run Vaesen as a game) urban fantasy games have all been Liminal (c. 12 episode seasons in on ongoing campaign) and I am mulling over a third season. I’d still lean towards DFRPG if I want a high power game but I now get torn between WC and Liminal - the flavour of Liminal is just great and the system is simple and light weight meaning its quick and easy to run. It also has (IMO) better GMing advice for creating mysteries
Neat! Knowing me, I'd probably use WC and use their advice for Mysteries, but I love Urban Fantasy, and while I'm not a Dresden Fan (for reasons), I am considering Liminal. Though I admit to loving the WC lore for the most part.

Neat! Knowing me, I'd probably use WC and use their advice for Mysteries, but I love Urban Fantasy, and while I'm not a Dresden Fan (for reasons), I am considering Liminal. Though I admit to loving the WC lore for the most part.
Liminal has a (primarily) UK focus (I find it reminiscent of Rivers of London without being beholden to that setting) - and more a focus on fae, magicians, vampires and werewolves rather than the ‘kitchen sink’ approach to the supernatural in WC/Armageddon. Magic is also less flamboyant then WC.

I love both but find they fill different niches - I tend to like Liminal for more low-key supernatural type drama vs WC (let alone Armageddon) where I typically find the characters tend to be higher power spell-casters and supernaturals.

Liminal has a (primarily) UK focus (I find it reminiscent of Rivers of London without being beholden to that setting) - and more a focus on fae, magicians, vampires and werewolves rather than the ‘kitchen sink’ approach to the supernatural in WC/Armageddon. Magic is also less flamboyant then WC.

I love both but find they fill different niches - I tend to like Liminal for more low-key supernatural type drama vs WC (let alone Armageddon) where I typically find the characters tend to be higher power spell-casters and supernaturals.
That all sounds good to me, personally. Might be a harder sell for my players, if I could talk them into it, but I'm good with it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back