Shelfies

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Wait they go on shelves? Probably 2/3 of my stuff is still in boxes from my last move (only been 9 years, hey I'll get to it).
You got time. I mean we only get younger right?

I arrange by label first, then by number if the label numbers their releases, year of release otherwise. With some exceptions...

You are seeing Twilight Time, Kino, Criterion, Indicator (including Region B locked releases), my steel books, and my Kiera Knightley collection. Been Hur and Casablanca boxes used as book ends.

Kiera Knightly collection? Is The Phantom Menace in there?

I have Phantom Menace on VHS in the collector's box with a strip of 35 MM film...Im not upgrading that one to blu...

When we lived in the condo, all our DVDs were in this big ass entertainment center we had. I lost count after a couple hundred before I started buying blu-rays. What I ended up doing was boxing up the DVDs after we lost the entertainment center in a flood in 2006. I stuck them in storage and only got them out when we moved into our house in 2019. They are in my garage. I actually was wondering what I am going to do with them because I’ll never watch them again or put them in any bookcase. I hate seeing stuff like that in a landfill. That’s why I buy digital now.

When we lived in the condo, all our DVDs were in this big ass entertainment center we had. I lost count after a couple hundred before I started buying blu-rays. What I ended up doing was boxing up the DVDs after we lost the entertainment center in a flood in 2006. I stuck them in storage and only got them out when we moved into our house in 2019. They are in my garage. I actually was wondering what I am going to do with them because I’ll never watch them again or put them in any bookcase. I hate seeing stuff like that in a landfill. That’s why I buy digital now.
You could see if your local library wants them - mine inherited a large DVD collection this summer, and rumor is it was 3-4x as many as they would have been able to afford to buy this year.

I resisted the switch to Blu Ray for as long as I could, until stuff started getting released on BluRay that I couldn't get on DVD. When I did finally decide to rebuy my collection in BluRay I put a strict limit on myself of my top 100 films. Anything beyond that, something else has to go.

There were only a handful of titles I upgraded from DVD to blu and I haven't upgraded any blu to 4K.

I still have VHS on the shelves, not even sure I have a working VHS player anymore... I've replaced most of my favorites with DVD, both smaller format and fewer made the cut, although I'm still adding the occasional hard to find classic as they turn up. Anything that isn't a definite repeat view just gets streamed.

Dammit you guys are going to make me clean up the place so I can get some pics of the shelves.

Was Charlie Brown bad? Is that why he's in the corner?
Funny you mentioned it. I noticed after I took the picture twice that he was that way, but I was too lazy to do it a third time. I’ll make sure he’s facing out when I leave for work.

I thought a "shelfie" was always of your own shelf: selfie + shelf = shelfie.

Does anyone else get the sensation of paging through a magazine you bought in a plain brown paper wrapper?

By the way, I would like to add notes to my pics, but I find that adding text into a photograph tends to decrease the quality/resolution of the picture, at least in IrfanView. I'm a total noob though, so maybe there's a way to do it more properly.

Every Shelfie is of somebody's shelf
Sure, but strictly speaking you probably have to take it yourself for it to be a shelfie.

By the way, I would like to add notes to my pics, but I find that adding text into a photograph tends to decrease the quality/resolution of the picture, at least in IrfanView. I'm a total noob though, so maybe there's a way to do it more properly.

If you save it as a tiff/PNG, there shouldn't be a resolution loss. A jpg definitely will

If you save it as a tiff/PNG, there shouldn't be a resolution loss. A jpg definitely will
Great, thanks! Well, at the moment there's little to no structure to the way my gaming books sit on my shelves so there's really no way to clarify anything by adding notes, but I'll definitely look into doing that once I've restructured my collection.

I no longer trust my various streaming services to keep a copy of what I already bought around for free so I started ripping all mine to a personal server. Maybe not as good a quality but I can at least watch it when I want without hunting down who currently has it for free.

I no longer trust my various streaming services to keep a copy of what I already bought around for free so I started ripping all mine to a personal server. Maybe not as good a quality but I can at least watch it when I want without hunting down who currently has it for free.
I’m not really too worried about that. If for some reason Amazon goes out of business, the digital content that people bought would be sold off to another company in the liquidation process.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back