Short Labyrinth Lord pbp Game

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Stan

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I started with Moldvay Basic and it's still one of my favorite games for it's simplicity. Labyrinth Lord is very close and it's available for free, so anyone who wants in can join.

I have a play-by-post format which I pretentiously call 30 Minutes Until Midnight. Every day of real time is a minute in the game - no waiting for slow posters, things keep moving. The game lasts a month so you're not committing to a years long pbp game. The set up is generally something desperate so there's a chance everybody will die if they don't do something. It's one extended encounter, no chance to rest up and try again.

I think we'll start at 5001 xp, 3rd level except elves are 2nd and thieves are 4th. Backgrounds should be no more than one sentence. The basic setup is an oracle lets a limited number of people ask questions once a month. All the characters were selected to get a question answered, then crap happens. Characters would not know each other in advance. We would start October 1st and go through October 31st. You'd need to be able to post at least once a day.

If I can get enough interested people (3+), I'll post more details and some chargen rules.

I would but my hands are full running OD&D and Classic Traveller right now like the old school old fool I am! Plus I need to continue my series on James Bond 007...real life (ridiculously busy at work) keeps delaying that endeavor.

Cool.

Dumarest, no problem.

I'm torn on whether to go totally vanilla or add a list of extra abilities that everyone gets one of. The abilities are along the lines of +3 to one save, cast a cantrip a few times a day (more like unearthed arcana cantrips not the 5e cannons) , or getting a +2 bonus from a shield. Thoughts?

Ok, chargen rules:
Everything in the core LL book is allowed, nothing outside of it.

You start with 5002 xp.

For ability scores, modified roll in order. Before rolling, designate one ability to be 6d6 best 3, one 5d6 best 3, one 4d6 best 3, the rest straigth 3d6. You get some ability to affect the outcomes but not perfect control of your abilities.

After setting aside money to pay the oracle, you have 225 gp to buy equipment.

In addition, previous adventures have yielded a piece of magical treasure. Pick one from the following list:
dagger+1
5 pieces of magical ammunition (arrow, bolt. or sling stone)
one scroll with either a single 1st or 2nd level spell, or a ward scroll
potion of healing
shield +1
potion of levitation

Rule changes:
I'm throwing thieves a bone, you made add your Int score to one thief ability and your dex score to one thief ability.
If you drop to exactly 0 hp, you are unconscious.

For die rolls, we'll use the honor system.

If there are some characters rolled up by the 26th (a week from today), we'll start on the 1st. If not, I'll shelf this.

I’m on it. Post my PC soon.

Name: Johrs the Retributor
Class: Cleric
Alignment: Law
Level: 3
AC: 5
HP: 13

STR: 15 (5d6 roll)
DEX: 7
CON: 15 (4d6 roll)
INT: 5
WIS: 14 (6d6 roll)
CHAR: 10

Equipment: Backpack, Crowbar, Holy Symbol, 10xPreserved Rations, Vial, Hemp Rope, Manacles, Block and Tackle, Bedroll, Winter Blanket
Bonus Equipment: Healing Potion
Weaponry and Armour: Mace, Chain Mail

Remaining Money: 95 GP and 4 SP

Name: Brookmyre
Class: Elf
Alignment: Law
Level: 2
AC: 3
HP: 9

STR: 15
DEX: 14
CON: 15
INT: 11
WIS: 10
CHAR: 16

Equipment:
  • Flint and steel
  • Waterskin
  • 50 ' Silk Rope
  • Crowbar
  • Rations, preserved 2 days
  • Backpack
Bonus Equipment: Shield +1
Weaponry and Armour: Long sword, Long bow, 10 arrows, Chain Mail

Spells: Charm Person, Sleep

Remaining Money: 11 SP

Dark hair, green eyes

Pic

WoodElfArcher.jpg

Last edited:
Both characters are awesome. If anyone else wants in, there's still time.

I forgot to add some basic posting rules.
There is no initiative - if NPCs/monsters have won initiative, I'll post their actions right away. Otherwise, post and do things in any order. You must wait until at least one other person has posted before posting again. In combat, give me at least 6 hours to post before posting another action - players can't take turns posting every 5 minutes to make 20 attacks before I respond.

We'll use honor system for rolls. There might be a fair amount of roll under attribute rolls, taking into account class, if appropriate.

I'll put up the initial IC post on the weekend. The basic setup is that you're going to be trapped and have 30 minutes to get out before you all die. Horribly.

Last edited:
Hey Stan,

Meant to say thanks for running this

Thanks!
I kept meaning to write a final post. Maybe I can do that this weekend.

I finally got to finishing the adventure. I had a lot of fun with it. Thanks for playing!

Last edited:
It was fun, thanks for running it!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back