[Site Problem] - Problem with Notifications

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

chuckdee

Welcome To The Terrordome
Reaction score
I didn't see a generic thread for site problems, so excuse me if there is one.

I wanted to see if it was just me, or if it was something I was missing with notifications, or of there really is a problem.

I'll tag threads to watch them, and it seems to work fine. But after a while, I stop being notified about them if I haven't posted in them, even if I've visited the notifications.

Is this intentional? Or is there some way to make watched threads notify you no matter what?

This seems to be an issue for a lot of PbP post threads as well I've noticed.

I think the forum software tracks, if you actually look at the thread or not. Basically, it's not enough to just look at your notifications. You have to look at the thread itself. Otherwise, the software just assumes that your not interested in that thread anymore. Which then results in you not getting notifications anymore.
The same thing happens, if you don't log in for a while. Which is a good thing. I could just see someone taking a three month break, to when log in to several hundred notifications.

Man, I'm asleep for 6 hours and I've got close to a hundred notifications

Heavy is the burden for those who chose to be the right hand of doom....
And who choose to post a ton of half-naked artistic lady pictures and funny-ass memes. Those thumbs and Lols add up....

I don't know the specific rules for it, but subscriptions definitely expire if you don't post for a while. I always have a number of threads I subscribe to just to keep an eye on them. I always need to resubscribe to them from time to time.

It's a forums "feature." It figures that if you aren't actively participating in a thread for a while, that you are no longer interested. It's also to help prevent the forums from being registered as a spammer. Some people have notifications sent to go to e-mail... and when people are no longer interested, you have no idea how many people will just mark the e-mail as junk instead of logging on to unsubscribe from notifications. If enough people do that, then e-mail providers start marking all e-mail from the Pub as spam.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back