So apparently DC Comics/WB has the rights to reprint Mayfair's DC Heroes line...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Tulpa Girl

"MEMALITY!"
Meme Moderatrix
Reaction score
...not that they're otherwise interested in doing so, I imagine, but they've just reprinted a single-volume collection of the Watchmen Sourcebook and the two Watchmen adventure modules that Mayfair released back in the day (no doubt as a cash grab tie-in to the HBO series).

I think I read somewhere that Ray Winninger actually owns the rights to the actual game system, but I just find it curious that that the rights for the actual games. sourcebooks, and adventures that Mayfair released apparently reverted back to DC Comics.

Ray said that the system is owned by DC as well. I think Greg Gorden is the person who felt like he or Mayfair still owned it, but that’s not what the copyright says in any DC Heroes product. I think they are well aware that they own it but dont really care to do anything with such an ancient (joke) game.

Based on the copyright notice in the game itself, the rights were always owned by DC, not Mayfair, which is why Pulsar ran into trouble with Blood of Heroes.

Some people even like it better....

(Ducks for cover)

I don't know about better, but it is certainly the most up-to-date and available version. Just rip out the setting section.

Winninger writes a new intro for this and it has been published by DC comics and even includes a reprint of The Question #17. I think its pretty cool, if it sells well enough maybe DC will consider republishing the core rules, the Batman supplement, etc.

If I remember correctly, Sorcery was a meta power that could emulate any other power. Dr. Manhattan had this power at eleven billion-trillion, or 25, which was where most of Superman's abilities capped.

Winninger writes a new intro for this and it has been published by DC comics and even includes a reprint of The Question #17. I think its pretty cool, if it sells well enough maybe DC will consider republishing the core rules, the Batman supplement, etc.

When i read this I was wondering what you were talking about, but I looked it up and am kind of shocked.

This is the first time anything has been printed for DC Heroes since 1994. So technically it is not a dead system any longer.

When i read this I was wondering what you were talking about, but I looked it up and am kind of shocked.

This is the first time anything has been printed for DC Heroes since 1994. So technically it is not a dead system any longer.
Just Mostly dead. If we get a Doom cloak, a miracle pill and true loves kiss we just might get it back!

Last edited:
For those who might not have read this. I wrote it quite a few years ago.

I'm surprised that they don't have the Batman game available. I mean if you have the rights and it's already written, you could release it in PDF and/or POD and just let it sit until you decide to license it out.

Wasn't there also a World's Finest adventure as well?

Wasn't there also a World's Finest adventure as well?

Yes. It was titled “Deadly Fusion”.It was called a “match-play” adventure for two players. One player would play Batman and the other Superman and they would GM for each other during the adventure.

Yes. It was titled “Deadly Fusion”.It was called a “match-play” adventure for two players. One player would play Batman and the other Superman and they would GM for each other during the adventure.

Yep, that's the one. The first GM I ever had wanted to play this, but we couldn't quite sort the system out one the first night. Then I didn't get a chance to see them again for years.

I'm surprised that they don't have the Batman game available. I mean if you have the rights and it's already written, you could release it in PDF and/or POD and just let it sit until you decide to license it out.

Perhaps they will for The Batman movie.

I'd love to see DC ask Ray to do another edit of the rules and release a fourth edition. It would be one of my dream scenarios for bringing an old game back to life. Put in some full-color Jim Lee, John Romita Jr. and other really top-notch art in there.

The real question is: Does anyone here have the full collection of DC Heroes Newsletter from Mayfair Games?

The real question is: Does anyone here have the full collection of DC Heroes Newsletter from Mayfair Games?

I have a few of them. Anything in particular you are looking for?

I've got like three of them from late 1989 to Summer 1990, I was just curious how long Mayfair produced them and how many total issues.

Hmm, that reminds me I did Supers! Revised builds for every one of the old V&V characters in those Dragon magazine ads. They all had names but I found one unnamed Jeff Dee drawing for a Different Worlds article I decided to call 'Vanguard' to match the shield insignia. I had to create the character details too, which amounted to him being an actor playing a super hero to promote a movie and.... getting lost in the part.

elTt4Zk.png

So I stumbled across the Watchmen Companion at the local bookstore today in their comic instead of their rpg section and couldn’t resist picking it up. Here are some quick and sloppy pics.

95F23C25-58D8-4C8E-B914-9547945CF7EF.jpeg

92C6CF57-E0BE-4103-A18E-05C0612B27A0.jpeg
5385D1A2-D20F-4471-9210-939996C1BFEE.jpeg

For anyone interested, here's what's in the book:
  • Introduction and a DC Heroes Watchmen timeline by Ray Winninger
  • Reprints of the two DC Heroes Watchmen modules: Who Watches the Watchmen? and Taking Out the Trash (both 1987)--for those who don't have them, they take place in 1966 and 1968, respectively, long before "present day" events of Watchmen
  • Reprint of the DC Heroes Watchmen Sourcebook (1990)
  • Sketches, unused artwork, and promotional artwork by Dave Gibbons
  • A lengthy and interesting preview article from Amazing Heroes #97 (1986)
  • Who's Who covers and Watchmen-related entries (1987)
  • The Question #17 (1988), wherein the title character reads Watchmen and mentions Rorschach: too cutesy a concept to work for me, but great artwork by Denys Cowan, although I never cared for Denny O'Neil's reinterpretation of the character
I already have the adventure modules and sourcebook.

Amusing side note: in the indicia for Taking Out the Trash, DC claims to hold the trademark for the name "Archie." I highly doubt that:
archiecomics_head.jpg

I have a few of them. Anything in particular you are looking for?

Sorry for bringing this back up, but I was googling and found this thread.
I don't suppose you would have the newsletter that detailed breaking into a computer by determining the passcode?

IIRC, it was in the issue that also covered a JLI embassy?

I lost my copy years ago.
Well, I lost all the newsletters I had. Don't remember what ever happened to them.

I don't suppose you would have the newsletter that detailed breaking into a computer by determining the passcode?

Well, I lost all the newsletters I had. Don't remember what ever happened to them.

Let me check and see which ones I have.

I looked through what I had and do have the JLI embassy newsletter, but there are no rules in it for breaking into a computer. None of my newsletters have that, actually.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back