So let's make a Post-Apocalyptic fantasy setting!

Silverlion

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Alright, the other thread got me thinking that it would be interesting is to make our "own" setting. I'm hugely fond of Dark Sun (and the miniature game Frostgrave which feels a bit p-a)

- It must still be recovering from the apocalypse thus-

Ground Rules
1) Resources are scarce, things like metal, food, and the like are hard to come by without hunting and scavenging for those things yourself.
2) The apocalypse was caused in some way by magic.
3) Magic is somehow dangerous and TOXIC if not carefully used. Magic fallout is what led to the world as it is and magic wielders are few and far between and likely feared and forced to wander.

We don't have to go the "mostly one" environment route, but big fertile fields of farmlands? Are out, unless in some very small way, and heavily protected because of their rarity.

Now: How does magic's toxicity impact the different environments, in the same way? Different ways? Are there places where the environments don't fit the region (like a frozen lake that stays that way inside a hot and humid swamp)

What kind of people should we have: I think any highly magical ones should be gone, or twisted and perhaps suffering the same with magical creatures.
Why and how did the magic change? Was it a war? a divine decree, or great powers tampering with things beyond their ken?

How about neatness and regularity being a sign of danger? The dungeon is a mansion with a fresh coat of paint and well-maintained hedgerows. Something is looking after the place and you can depend on it being utterly bonkers at this point.

How long ago was this apocalypse? Within peoples' living memory?

How about neatness and regularity being a sign of danger? The dungeon is a mansion with a fresh coat of paint and well-maintained hedgerows. Something is looking after the place and you can depend on it being utterly bonkers at this point.
I like that, if things look too good--something magic/worrisome is going on.

How long ago was this apocalypse? Within peoples' living memory?
I'd probably put it back a generation or two since there are SOME cities and such, just not big or safe ones and even then they're hewed out of ruins barely held together still

Since magic is a source of energy I imagine that certain plants and animals are beginning to find ways of making use of it, with all the weird effects and mutations that will entail.

1) Resources are scarce, things like metal, food, and the like are hard to come by without hunting and scavenging for those things yourself.

Isn't the food one going to be hard? I mean, thematically for a fantasy setting?

Isn't the food one going to be hard? I mean, thematically for a fantasy setting?
Some, but I think it is a choice of eating freaky stuff, or not--and while most will eat the freaky stuff a few will struggle to avoid it.

Some, but I think it is a choice of eating freaky stuff, or not--and while most will eat the freaky stuff a few will struggle to avoid it.

Oooh! Another good reason to go adventuring! Gotta go find stuff to kill...and eat!

Or bring back to the tribe so they can eat. Shades of Famine in Fargo, methinks...

If you will forgive me, I'm not sure that this is tenable without going into 40k "grimdarkery" territory.

Rather than making it hard to grow/find food, why not make it hard to do so on scale?

If the apocalypse was caused specifically by wild magic, this could be a reaction from a lawful cosmic force trying to create pockets of order and stem the spread of chaos. Perhaps a garrison of automata will "repurpose" any invaders. Still, these could be great sources of pristine food and gear if you can make it out.

Like corn on the cob? Well, you'll have to hunt living corn dollies to harvest it.

You could use a conjunction of the spheres like the Witcher. Imagine a bog standard medieval world hitting a dnd world...

The result ought to be a catastrophy of epic proportions.

Alright, the other thread got me thinking that it would be interesting is to make our "own" setting.

Have a wee look at this: https://www.lategaming.com/category/game-design/viride/

Things I think would be interesting.

• Messed up geographies. Not necessarily Skyrealms but I based the design of Viride on a diagram of proteins floating in lipid layers (cell membrane).
  • An assumption is a planet - much like Earth. Maybe or maybe not one ecology but what if you break that assumption. Maybe the world isn’t a globe, maybe it’s a fragment of the planet held together with indescribably powerful magic powered by the living souls of mages. Maybe the forces holding the planet together kidnap magic users and insert them into the “integrity web” holding the fragment together. They’re kidnapping and dooming people on a small scale just to keep everyone else on the planet alive.
  • Messed up weather. Storms or quakes, rains of glass or acid, lightning that is super attracted to metal armour and can chain.
  • Messed up flora and fauna. Like “durlig” in Jorune - people have to eat emergency food. There’s also a lot more consumption of things that would have been “vermin”. The killing of a large “dragon” is a celebration not just because it’s a dread beast but because it’s a lot of food.
  • The Integrity Mages are the bad guys. So we give them an evil name. We then discover they’re them only reason everyone is alive.
  • Delving too deep in mines can bring you to open space. That’s very ungood. Limits metal and gem mining. And a mine turns into a vacuum hole until sealed by the magi.
  • There are other fragments out there and the magi can visit them. They have devices. The laws out there differ depending on which magi faction rules the fragment.
That’s a riff on breaking the geographical assumptions. Shards. Fragments.

Like corn on the cob? Well, you'll have to hunt living corn dollies to harvest it.
Heh. See maybe? I mean I was thinking more of you see a field of what USED to be corn and approach and it spews toxic fume in the air and then SHOOTS you with a rock-hard kernel to drive you away, and you feel (But don't hear) that you are being laughed at. Hunters track a large animal, it appears to be a cow, but then it turns and hundreds of small mouths open up and wail at you. Of course killing and eating this stuff may make you very ill, or may change you too.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back