So, Psionics, What Do You Think?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Jamfke

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Okay, so, talking about classes in that other thread spilled over into that other thread, and I've shifted my thoughts to another kinda sorta quasi-mystical-like aspect of a lot of RPGs - Psionics.

Several games turn Psionicists into their own separate "class" and only allow those other professions to have them if they roll an insanely high roll with a thin margin of success, or pay a ton of XP to "buy" into the field, allowing them to become a "Wild Card". So should this be the way psionics is handled or are there other ways that I haven't discovered yet? I skimmed through Psi World and a few others that were suggested to me a while back, but nothing has stuck in my craw so far.

So, what do you think?

I love the idea, especially when you give it a bit of Magic: The Gathering blue flavor, but in most fantasy settings it's just kitchen-sink redundancy.

5th edition's implementation of it so far has been the best compromise I've seen to date, just a few discrete subclasses and feats with Lovecraftian undertones rather than a book-sized subsystem.

Probably most appropriate to a 1950s game about the cold war and alien infiltrators. Huh, Dark Conspiracy is actually a 1950s game. Oh well, I can live with psionics in science fiction. I can live with them in sword and planet games. I'm not fond of them in fantasy unless you're doing something like Ethshar where there are dozens of magical traditions, each with their own specialties.

Going along with your class question. I split them out as a separate path, so if good in the role of psionic you cannot be as good in some other role as a non-psionic could be. Can do it by class features, point cost, many ways. Same as I view magic vs non-magic.

On psionic I tend to treat them differently than magic if they exist with magic, otherwise what is the point of the name but flavor.

I want my psionics to be able to emulate (at some point in character progression) what have seen in movies and books I've read. Like Fire Starter (Stephen King), The Demolished Man (Alfred Bester), World of Ptavvs (Larry Niven), Psion (Joan Vinge), Caverns (Kevin O'Donnell, Jr.), Babylon 5, Star Wars, Jumper (2008), Push (2009).
...of course with limitations/need to really level up to emulate certain powers. Most fiction show the psionic paying a price to use powers...always nose bleeds it seems. :smile:

EDIT: can’t believe forgot mystical like martial arts. I consider such as in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) and many powers of the Bene Gesserit to be forms of psionics so want to be able to emulate those as well.

Last edited:
Great for certain modern or sci-fi settings. When it first arrived as a supplement for OD&D my whole group thought "Huh? That doesn't fit." None of us had ever read a fantasy novel that described any special powers as "psionic-not-magic". I still don't put it in any of my fantasy settings.

Of course one can imagine a setting that has both. Just like one can imagine broccoli in their ice cream. I just don't enjoy the kitchen sink settings at all.

I'm having a bit of trouble untangling my opinions on this matter-- I generally like the idea that some kind of psychic powers exist in my games. I generally prefer it to be separate from the D&D standard arcane/divine sort of magic, but I also separate primal from divine, but but I also kinda hate that artificial and contrived distinction.

In Shroompunk, psychic/psionic/ki is the power source everyone has, like an extension of martial power.

In my untitled space opera, generic psychic ability is a precursor to either more specialized psionic abilities or actual magic.

If a game is going to have Classes (or Races, which is kind of like the same thing) and psionics, then might as well make psi-guy a class. It's as good a class differentiator as any. Unless of course it is the sort of setting where everyone has psionic powers. One size does not fit all.

By and large, is see psionics as magic for settings with modern sensibilities. The typical psionic trapping tend to be more subltle and dressed up in very bad science and as such tonally very different from summoned demons and ancient spellbooks. If the settting already has magic, having psionics as well is a little redundant, unless one is aiming for Rift's style, kitchen-sink, the more the merrier approach. Again, one size does not fit all.

I have mixed feelings on psionics. Stylistically the idea of "psionics" works well in some settings (particularly modern/sci-fi), and some settings (like Dark Sun) incorporate them well as part their backstory and how things operate in the world. However, mechanically and conceptually speaking I tend to think of psionics the same way I think of clerics and the Arcane/Divine magic split in D&D: it's largely an artificially distinction made to present different stylistics representations of what's essentially supernatural abilities or just "magic".

From a mechanical point of view in particular, a damage effect is just a damage effect. You could say that damage may come from different sources, and I agree, but mechanically speaking those sources tend to come down to powers, weapons/gear and environmental hazards. And when it comes to "powers", I tend to think that the only real distinction is Trained vs. Natural vs. Supernatural, rather than fifty different flavors of "Supernatural". Granted, I would probably divide "trained" powers by skills or skill categories (like combat, social, etc.), and similarly, I would also divide "supernatural" powers into more specific types, but more by effect groups or "Spheres" of reality that can be affected (elemental, mental, life/death, animals/plants, etc.), rather than by "method of use" (i.e. Spellcasting, Religious Ritual, Mind-Over-Matter/Psionics, etc.).

So I tend to view "Psionics" vs Arcane Wizardry vs Priestly magic more as methods or styles to call upon "Supernatural" powers than distinct categories of supernatural power. As I mentioned in another one of these class-related threats (Clerics, I think) I like the way that Shadowrun handles the Hermetic Mage vs Shaman distinction. Both use essentially the same magic system, but shamans get certain modifiers to reflect their totem and style. Psionics could be handled the same way, perhaps giving them a bonus to mind-related powers or something like that.

However, a lot of this depends on the setting and what you're trying to accomplish. If "psionics" are a fact of life in the world, where everyone has a chance to get them, like in Dark Sun, I would probably handle it like something you could pay "XP" or something to get specific powers. But then again, I tend to prefer handling magic in general that way.

My feelings of psionics in SF were recently expressed at length by my Traveller PC, who was facing an assassin helped by a psion, who was also his lover:devil:.

Boris murdered them both. He's a PC who tries not to kill...most of the time.
These guys were an exception partly because of the psionics...how do you arrest someone who can teleport:grin:? Yes, we assumed they're both psions. Turned out to be wrong, but they were both dead, anyway. Mind-controlling an NPC ally was a big mistake.

The other two or three parts were 1) we had a price on their heads by their own supposed superiors, 2) them being the damned couple of an assassin and a priestess of a death cult-some things shouldn't be combined, and 3) they were killing lots of people. I say "two parts" because most of those killed were of the kind that Boris assumed are better off dead...but given their policy on witnesses, which was supposedly along the lines of "send them to our goddess", it was still a factor:shade:.

Conversely, I like it in Sword and Planet stories. I don't really need it in the games, though...

I find psionics simply redundant in fantasy. Unless, as stated above, it's a kind of fantasy with competing magic schools.

I use psionics in my fantasy. It is the power of Mythos creatures, not magic, Demons use psionics Devils use magic, use the same split with good extraplanar type creatures.

It operates differently from magic mechanically and intentionally keep the overlap in effects between psionics and magic low. Really did it for my PA and sci-fi games, but do limit what areas get used in fantasy. My “monks” use psi to drive their amazing martial arts powers.

I like psionics, as long as they aren't treated the same as magic. They have to have a distinct flavour, their own bespoke rules and approach.

Because Professor X isn't Doctor Strange, and vice-versa

I use psionics in Traveller. It's not easy to get them...

These days I have no interest in them in my fantasy. Now if you want to have a form of magic that's more mental, that's fine.

I have joked before that Cold Iron has a psionic system rather than a magic system. Cold Iron magic doesn't require verbal, somatic, or material components. The effects aren't visible in any way unless that's specifically part of the spell. All casting a spell requires is concentration and mana points to power it. And there are no armor or weapon restrictions on casters.

In terms of D&D I prefer the 2e and Dark Sun approach where it is distinct from magic and I like the idea of a Psionicist class as opposed to a psionic subclasses. Just more flavourful.

In a fantasy setting I'd like it to be more of an integrated part of the setting like in Dark Sun or Julian May's The Many Coloured Land which seems to be a big influence on 2e's approach to psionics.

Not a big fan of the rando Wild Card approach in 1e (the entire psionics system in 1e is a mess in general). Reducing it to another kind of magic makes it all seem pointless and bland.

I like it in sf but again prefer it to be central to the setting's concept rather than a bolt-on.

I like psionics, as long as they aren't treated the same as magic. They have to have a distinct flavour, their own bespoke rules and approach.

Because Professor X isn't Doctor Strange, and vice-versa

How would you handle that distinction in practical game terms, though? Not asking just you specifically, but anyone who feels this way, since this is a sentiment I often see come up when discussing psionics.

In a system like FASERIP, for example, psionics are just handled through the power system just like everything else. But a magician would still have access to stuff like Telepathy or Mind Control, and the distinctions would just be handled thematically part of the character's background and the use of the Mystic Origin talent. But mechanically they all work on Power Rank intensity generating the specified effects, just like every other power.

How much does it really add to the play experience to separate different styles of supernatural abilities at a core mechanical level and treat them as fundamentally distinct abilities, vs simply treating them like an RP or stylistic element as part of the character's background (or perhaps like situation modifiers like Shamans vs Hermetic Mages in Shadowrun)? Particularly considering that many of them do mostly the same thing.

How would you handle that distinction in practical game terms, though? Not asking just you specifically, but anyone who feels this way, since this is a sentiment I often see come up when discussing psionics.

In a system like FASERIP, for example, psionics are just handled through the power system just like everything else. But a magician would still have access to stuff like Telepathy or Mind Control, and the distinctions would just be handled thematically part of the character's background and the use of the Mystic Origin talent. But mechanically they all work on Power Rank intensity generating the specified effects, just like every other power.

How much does it really add to the play experience to separate different styles of supernatural abilities at a core mechanical level and treat them as fundamentally distinct abilities, vs simply treating them like an RP or stylistic element as part of the character's background (or perhaps like situation modifiers like Shamans vs Hermetic Mages in Shadowrun)? Particularly considering that many of them do mostly the same thing.

Have you looked at Dark Sun? That seems the clearest example both mechanically and in terms of setting/impact/context.

I don't like how FASERIP handles magic in the base set - as a collection of Powers. Realms of Magic improved this substatially, and the third system in Ultimate Powers isn't bad, but there's a reason I've completely overhauled the system for Phaserip.

I don't mind Psionics being treated as a category of Powers - there's no practical difference between "fire Manipulation" and "Pyrokenesis" as it were, but even then in Phaserip, Mentalism has some very distinct rules from other Power categories.

In terms of D&D I prefer the 2e and Dark Sun approach where it is distinct from magic and I like the idea of a Psionicist class as opposed to a psionic subclasses. Just more flavourful.

In a fantasy setting I'd like it to be more of an integrated part of the setting like in Dark Sun or Julian May's The Many Coloured Land which seems to be a big influence on 2e's approach to psionics.

Not a big fan of the rando Wild Card approach in 1e (the entire psionics system in 1e is a mess in general). Reducing it to another kind of magic makes it all seem pointless and bland.

I like it in sf but again prefer it to be central to the setting's concept rather than a bolt-on.

The problem with 2e Dark Sun is that some of the distinctions between magic vs psionics make sense (sort of) on a setting backstory level, but mechanically they're a mess. Most 2e Psionic powers are weak compared to magic or just do stuff you can already do with spells, and add extra steps requiring checks on top of paying psionic strength points (PSP) from you limited pool. Then they had psionic combat, which was a separate mess that dried up all your PSP just keeping enemy psionics from doing anything (while you did nothing either), making it largely a wasted effort. It's been years since I've looked into them, so I don't recall all the details, but psionics in D&D had so many issues WotC largely abandoned the class, and had to be dragged by the community into adding newer supplements for it.

I don't like how FASERIP handles magic in the base set - as a collection of Powers. Realms of Magic improved this substatially, and the third system in Ultimate Powers isn't bad, but there's a reason I've completely overhauled the system for Phaserip.

I don't mind Psionics being treated as a category of Powers - there's no practical difference between "fire Manipulation" and "Pyrokenesis" as it were, but even then in Phaserip, Mentalism has some very distinct rules from other Power categories.

Ah, the only one I really got was one of the base sets (I think it was called Marvel Super Heroes Advanced Set, or something) and never got around getting the other supplements. So I always went with the basic rules for magic.

In D&D I like the idea of characters having some inborn magic-like talent rather than getting everything either from studying books or granted from divine beings. And I also like it being on top of regular class abilities - so a thief who has minor ESP or telekinetic ability or is preternaturally lucky, a fighter who can make himself temporarily impervious to fire or walk on water or whatever - rather than being its own class (which just makes it feel like another mostly-redundant type of magic). I also like the idea of mental combat and the threat that demons and other powerful mostly-extra-planar beings can destroy your mind in an instant without having to physically attack you if you'e not careful. I like these concepts and think both of them fit with and should be part of the game. I just don't like the way they're implemented in the actual OD&D or 1E rules - where it's pretty much totally random, one die roll determines how good you'll ever be, it's all free (OD&D at least made an effort at having psionic abilities be a trade-off for normal class abilities, but in 1E it's all bonus), psychic combat is pretty much totally deterministic (the higher psi strength score is almost guaranteed to win), etc. This aspect of the game needed a lot more development, and then later edition versions took it in a different direction.

I like there way psionics work in Traveller, including/especially all the meta setting-based stuff that balances them (that psionics are illegal and feared in the Imperium so psionic institutes are all underground and hard to locate and are often fraudulent or fronts for the perfidious Zhodani) - it gives a nice Cold War sort of feel that fits well with Traveller's retro-future vibe.

Ah, the only one I really got was one of the base sets (I think it was called Marvel Super Heroes Advanced Set, or something) and never got around getting the other supplements. So I always went with the basic rules for magic.

It's fine as a patch if you're primarily just running supers and a magic character is just a random guest-star or villain, but the Realms of Magic really do give much more definition and individual flavour for characters like Strange or Magik.

The problem with 2e Dark Sun is that some of the distinctions between magic vs psionics make sense (sort of) on a setting backstory level, but mechanically they're a mess. Most 2e Psionic powers are weak compared to magic or just do stuff you can already do with spells, and add extra steps requiring checks on top of paying psionic strength points (PSP) from you limited pool. Then they had psionic combat, which was a separate mess that dried up all your PSP just keeping enemy psionics from doing anything (while you did nothing either), making it largely a wasted effort. It's been years since I've looked into them, so I don't recall all the details, but psionics in D&D had so many issues WotC largely abandoned the class, and had to be dragged by the community into adding newer supplements for it.

Sure there were issues with 2e psionics, mainly the ability roll to activate and psionic combat which always seemed pointless to me (and we just dropped entirely) but the idea and setting concept was strong and appealing.

That's what I thought we were discussing: why have a distinct psionics system. Not getting into the weeds of how said system is implemented.

But it is interesting that you think 2e psionics were too weak compared to magic as the most common complaint I've seen was that it was OP. Never seen the claim that they were weak (ability rolls aside) until now.

I mean for the majority of D&D editions thief skills, etc. were underpowered too. To disappear down that rabbithole leads to madness.

Good resources those! I took a lot from Realms of Magic when working on magic and psionics for 4CX, but I tried tying some of the 2E D&D Psionics energy tracking to it and slowed things down too much for the players. I'm revamping things to make playing a mage or psionicist more streamlined while trying to keep things different enough to tell the difference.

I love psionics in my games. Doesn't matter if magic exists, or not. I like having it side-by-side, or standalone. As long as it's properly contextualized in my setting.
Really this is me, though I wish in the case of D&D, I wish it HAD been its own subsystem, so it feels different to magic. The UA Mystic class has that and did it in a few pages, I'd like to have had it expanded a bit more (a tiny bit), I'm playing something fun but it is a psychic-sorcerer (still could use a lot of tweaks.) But I definitely prefer it to be a Sorcerer class if not a mystic, but even that's an odd fit. For superheroes I love them. I like playing psychic/psi's, in other settings it varies. Sci Fi? I like it better than Star Wars Force since it's not hand-wavy as the Force is..

Though I admit REALLY hard SF probably shouldn't have it, unless that's its primary change for the setting from "real physics" (other than FTL) 2E AD&D's system in Dark Sun 2E was better, than core Psionics (Hear Light? Sheesh, guys, I mean stretching powers to weird ways, unless someone wants to be a blind fighter, with basically Daredevil's ability (not exactly but..)

Good resources those! I took a lot from Realms of Magic when working on magic and psionics for 4CX, but I tried tying some of the 2E D&D Psionics energy tracking to it and slowed things down too much for the players. I'm revamping things to make playing a mage or psionicist more streamlined while trying to keep things different enough to tell the difference.

I love the AD&D 2nd ed Psionicist's Handbook. Not exactly playable as written, but just as a resource of ideas, it's fantastic

Sure there were issues with 2e psionics, mainly the ability roll to activate and psionic combat which always seemed pointless to me (and we just dropped entirely) but the idea and setting concept was strong and appealing.

That's what I thought we were discussing: why have a distinct psionics system. Not getting into the weeds of how said system is implemented.

But it is interesting that you think 2e psionics were too weak compared to magic as the most common complaint I've seen was that it was OP. Never seen the claim that they were weak (ability rolls aside) until now.

I mean for the majority of D&D editions thief skills, etc. were underpowered too. To disappear down that rabbithole leads to madness.

Implementation is part of the topic, I think, since the OP asked near the end "So should this be the way psionics is handled or are there other ways that I haven't discovered yet?", which deals with the matter of "handling" psionics in the game, and therefore implementation. I was also curious, since I often see people say they want psionics distinct from magic, but I don't normally see them elaborate on what they would like in game terms or how it could be handled mechanically.

I've also seen the complaint that 2e psionics were "OP" crop up in forum discussions before, but that is mostly about the Disintegrate ability, which is way more expensive to use than any other psionic power, and not any stronger than the magic equivalent. Plus I strongly suspect that the reason that people complain about it is because it's potentially a perma-death ability, since you can only raise a disintegrated body with full blown Resurrection or a Wish spell. But no other 2e psionic ability is that strong and Disintegrate itself is not really any more OP than magic disintegration. It just shines in comparison by the fact that it's the only psionic ability that actual does something powerful. So many people end up taking it, and gives it a bad wrap. But most other abilities are just weak sauce and/or have a prohibitive maintenance cost that drastically reduce their effectiveness, IIRC.

I love the AD&D 2nd ed Psionicist's Handbook. Not exactly playable as written, but just as a resource of ideas, it's fantastic
Quite true. The Thirteen Letter was good, for them. Though I wonder what could books are out there now with psionics in them, I've not looked recently.

Those leatherettes were killer, taken as a whole. Despite its commercial decline, the Nineties were really D&D's Golden Age.

The Complete Handbook line was freaking awesome. I think I got them all at one point, or least most of them. They’re still hidden somewhere around the house. They were packed with lots of cool suggestions for players and DMs a like for how to get the most out of each class and race or build entire campaigns around them. Plus kits, new proficiencies, customization options, etc. Those books are probably my favorite D&D product to this day.

They did two books on Psionics for 2e, though. The 1st was part of the Complete Handbook line, but can’t recall what the second one was. Think it came out around the time of the second Dark Sun boxed set. Was it part of the boxed set? Imma have to check tomorrow.

The Complete Handbook line was freaking awesome. I think I got them all at one point, or least most of them. They’re still hidden somewhere around the house. They were packed with lots of cool suggestions for players and DMs a like for how to get the most out of each class and race or build entire campaigns around them. Plus kits, new proficiencies, customization options, etc. Those books are probably my favorite D&D product to this day.

They did two books on Psionics for 2e, though. The 1st was part of the Complete Handbook line, but can’t recall what the second one was. Think it came out around the time of the second Dark Sun boxed set. Was it part of the boxed set? Imma have to check tomorrow.

It is a Dark Sun supplement: The Will and the Way.

The_Will_and_the_Way_(D&D_manual).jpg

I often see people say they want psionics distinct from magic, but I don't normally see them elaborate on what they would like in game terms or how it could be handled mechanically.
Well I can briefly give an overview of how I handle Psionics and how I handle Magic in Phaserip.

Mentalism (aka Psychic abilities/Psionics) is divided into 3 categories ("Disciplines"): ESP (Extra-Sensory Perceoption), PK (Psycho-Kinesis), and PMD (Psychokmetic Disciplines):

ESP - involves psychic perception and senses - clairaudience, clairvoyance, telemetry, etc
PK - involves "mind over matter" - the ability to affect the world through the exertion of Willpower - Telekinesis, Telelevitation, Psychometabolisis, etc.
PMD - involves the ability to enter, manipulate, and alter the minds of others - Entopticism, Menticide, Metanoia, etc.

As with Powers, a Hero possess an Echelon (Rank) in one or more of the Disciplines, and then Ranks in any any of the specific Powers under that Discipline's purview ("Modes"), up to the overall Discipline's Rank. Other Modes of that same Discipline can be attempted as Power Stunts.

However, whereas with most Powers, the Rank determines the potency of that particular ability, with Psionics, it instead represents the character's control over it, with the potency determined by their Will Power Attribute.

Moreover, Psychic Modes require one turn of concentration before they are manifested, and only one can be used at a time. Further, extended use of Psionics inflicts Stress upon the Hero, reducing their Psyche point pool in a manner analogous to Endurance tests.

Magick In Phaserip, on the other hand, is the ability to alter reality by drawing upon supernatural energies.

These energies come from three primary sources, which determines both their potency and the difficulty/dangers of using them:

EVOCATION - the Magic user draws energy from themselves, simply powering a spell by spending their own Arete. This is the easiest and least dangerous manner, but also the most limiting. A magician will rarely possess enough Arete to cast more than a few smaller spells a day, or the reserves to power spells with any greater effects.However, they can make use of talismans, foci, charms, and other magical objects that store a certain amount of Arete.

INCANTATION - the Magic user powers the spell by channeling supernatural energy from the universe around them. This energy in turn comes in three types - Dynamis (universal energies drawn from ley lines and their Nexus points), Miasma (necromantic energies from the dead), orThelxis (energies derived from artistic passion or expression). Channeling energies poses several risks to the spellcaster, either through a loss of control or even (especially in the case of Miasma), deleterious effects inherent to the energies themselves.

INVOCATION - the Magic user calls upon the assistance or patronage of a spirit, diety, or daemon to power the spell. This is the only manner in which many greater magickal effects, especially those that permanently reshape reality, can be achieved. It is also potentially the most dangerous, especially longterm. An Invocation requires a magic user to go into "debt" to the spirits they invoke, a debt that must be repaid at the time and manner of the spirit's choosing (aka when it's most inconvenient).

Gathering the energy for an intended spell is only the first part of the equation, however. A Magic user can cast spells associated with any of the 9 Arts:

I. Abjuration ("banish")
II. Apportation ("move")
III. Conjuration ("summon")
IV. Consecration ("dedicate")
V. Divination ("sense")
VI. Nexation ('bind")
VII. Obfuscation ("hide')
VIII. Purification ("restore")
IX. Transmutation ("alter")

of course, there are also the 9 Dark Arts in contrast:

I. Deciperation ("deceive")
II. Decomposition ("decay")
III. Deformation ("twist")
IV. Desecration ("defile")
V. Divideration ("sunder")
VI. Domination ("control")
VII. Execration ("destroy")
VIII. Expropriation ("possess")
IX. Pollueration ("contaminate")

Moreover, Magic has it's own set of overall rules, the 6 Magicae Praecepta:

I. LEX DEMERGO The Law of Equivalence
II. LEX NOMINIS The Law of Names
III. LEX AEQUITAS The Law of Reciprocity
IV. LEX IUNCTIO The Law of Correspondence
V. LEX DESIDERO The Law of Contagion
VI. LEX ILLECEBRA The Law of Sympathy

This is only the very surface of a complex subject, without getting into Alchemy, Pharmakiea, Magical Items, Scrolls, Grimoires, Familiars, Foci, Anamism & Totems, demonic pacts, etc. etc. (There's a reason that chapter is taking me a while)

There's a reason why one of the few 3.5 books I didn't sell was the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

But mostly, this is what I think of psionics.

Last edited:
It is a Dark Sun supplement: The Will and the Way.

View attachment 30562

Ah, I'm not sure I ever got that one. But looking at my Dark Sun Expanded & Revised boxed set, they included a tiny 32-page booklet "The Way of the Psionicist" with everything you need to use psionics in the revised rules. The booklet also mentions its rules are derived from Player's Options: Skills & Powers, so there were even more psionic variant rules floating around in 2e. I barely used this one, but it had some interesting concepts, like handling psionic combat and power activation by using mental equivalents to D&D combat stats, like THAC0 and AC. Don't recall how well it worked in practice*, but conceptually sounds like an interesting way to handle mental combat.

*I think you still needed to waste your PSP trying to drain a psionicist's full PSP to "open" their mind, which turns the whole thing into a PSP draining exercise that leaves you dry leading to "no more powers today".

Well I can briefly give an overview of how I handle Psionics and how I handle Magic in Phaserip.

Mentalism (aka Psychic abilities/Psionics) is divided into 3 categories ("Disciplines"): ESP (Extra-Sensory Perceoption), PK (Psycho-Kinesis), and PMD (Psychokmetic Disciplines):

ESP - involves psychic perception and senses - clairaudience, clairvoyance, telemetry, etc
PK - involves "mind over matter" - the ability to affect the world through the exertion of Willpower - Telekinesis, Telelevitation, Psychometabolisis, etc.
PMD - involves the ability to enter, manipulate, and alter the minds of others - Entopticism, Menticide, Metanoia, etc.

As with Powers, a Hero possess an Echelon (Rank) in one or more of the Disciplines, and then Ranks in any any of the specific Powers under that Discipline's purview ("Modes"), up to the overall Discipline's Rank. Other Modes of that same Discipline can be attempted as Power Stunts.

However, whereas with most Powers, the Rank determines the potency of that particular ability, with Psionics, it instead represents the character's control over it, with the potency determined by their Will Power Attribute.

Moreover, Psychic Modes require one turn of concentration before they are manifested, and only one can be used at a time. Further, extended use of Psionics inflicts Stress upon the Hero, reducing their Psyche point pool in a manner analogous to Endurance tests.

Magick In Phaserip, on the other hand, is the ability to alter reality by drawing upon supernatural energies.

These energies come from three primary sources, which determines both their potency and the difficulty/dangers of using them:

EVOCATION - the Magic user draws energy from themselves, simply powering a spell by spending their own Arete. This is the easiest and least dangerous manner, but also the most limiting. A magician will rarely possess enough Arete to cast more than a few smaller spells a day, or the reserves to power spells with any greater effects.However, they can make use of talismans, foci, charms, and other magical objects that store a certain amount of Arete.

INCANTATION - the Magic user powers the spell by channeling supernatural energy from the universe around them. This energy in turn comes in three types - Dynamis (universal energies drawn from ley lines and their Nexus points), Miasma (necromantic energies from the dead), orThelxis (energies derived from artistic passion or expression). Channeling energies poses several risks to the spellcaster, either through a loss of control or even (especially in the case of Miasma), deleterious effects inherent to the energies themselves.

INVOCATION - the Magic user calls upon the assistance or patronage of a spirit, diety, or daemon to power the spell. This is the only manner in which many greater magickal effects, especially those that permanently reshape reality, can be achieved. It is also potentially the most dangerous, especially longterm. An Invocation requires a magic user to go into "debt" to the spirits they invoke, a debt that must be repaid at the time and manner of the spirit's choosing (aka when it's most inconvenient).

Gathering the energy for an intended spell is only the first part of the equation, however. A Magic user can cast spells associated with any of the 9 Arts:

I. Abjuration ("banish")
II. Apportation ("move")
III. Conjuration ("summon")
IV. Consecration ("dedicate")
V. Divination ("sense")
VI. Nexation ('bind")
VII. Obfuscation ("hide')
VIII. Purification ("restore")
IX. Transmutation ("alter")

of course, there are also the 9 Dark Arts in contrast:

I. Deciperation ("deceive")
II. Decomposition ("decay")
III. Deformation ("twist")
IV. Desecration ("defile")
V. Divideration ("sunder")
VI. Domination ("control")
VII. Execration ("destroy")
VIII. Expropriation ("possess")
IX. Pollueration ("contaminate")

Moreover, Magic has it's own set of overall rules, the 6 Magicae Praecepta:

I. LEX DEMERGO The Law of Equivalence
II. LEX NOMINIS The Law of Names
III. LEX AEQUITAS The Law of Reciprocity
IV. LEX IUNCTIO The Law of Correspondence
V. LEX DESIDERO The Law of Contagion
VI. LEX ILLECEBRA The Law of Sympathy

This is only the very surface of a complex subject, without getting into Alchemy, Pharmakiea, Magical Items, Scrolls, Grimoires, Familiars, Foci, Anamism & Totems, demonic pacts, etc. etc. (There's a reason that chapter is taking me a while)

Ah, that is probably more complex than I'd probably go for, but it has some interesting considerations about how to handle magic energies and such. I tend to prefer a more simplified effect-focused approach to define different types of universal supernatural effect groups along the lines of your mentalist disciplines, but including non-mental stuff as well, then leave out the psionic vs magic specific stuff to a combination of RP, specializations, and maybe special methods of facilitating the generation those (otherwise generic/universal) powers along the lines of what you describe here for magic. Which could be used modularly to supplement the core rules for power usage.

Psionics are magic by any other name to me, but seem like the best way to fit those effects into an SF setting from the POV of genre convention.

When Ken St. Andre created the magic system for T&T he envisioned it as Psi powered which is why it is spell point based, and the casting of spells drains strength from the caster, with Wizards being more efficient in their use of it for effects. So all magic was an exercise in psionics if they were not by GM handwavium.

That does seem to be the way psionics has then gone in D&D, from the first AD&D supplementary rules on - casting by Psionics is governed by spell points rather than Vancian.

If you want spheres of magic than I guess Psionics owns mind stuff (Telepathy, tele-sending, exploding skulls scanner style), moving stuff by thinking about it rather than using another force to do so (Telekinesis), which then can evolve to altering temperature (Firestarter) and transporting yourself (Teleportation).

Once you go to Star Wars you then also have controlling dangerous forces (Lightsabers).

So I guess I like it when thought through and fit's in the setting, which is true of any concept around magic.

I case of psionic attack, I believe this advice works as well...
In case of psionic attack on your district, follow these rules
If you are making love it is imperative
To bring all bodies to orgasm simultaneously

Do not waste time blocking your ears
Do not waste time seeking a psi proofed shelter
Try to get as far away from the psionic source as possible

Do not panic, do not panic, do not panic
Do not panic, do not panic, do not panic

Use your wheels it is what they are for
Do not attempt to use your own limbs
Small babies should be placed inside the special cocoons
And should be left, if possible, in shelters

If no wheels are available metal, metal, metal, metal
Metal, metal, metal, metal
Not organic limbs should be employed whenever practical

Remember, remember, remember, remember
In the case of psionic attack survival means
Every man for himself, himself, himself, himself, himself, himself
Statistically more people survive if they think
Only of themselves, only of themselves, only of themselves

Do not attempt to rescue friends, relatives, loved ones
You have only a few seconds to escape
Use those seconds sensibly or you will inevitably die

Do not panic, do not panic
Think only of yourself, think only of yourself
Think only of yourself, think only of yourself

These are the first signs of psionic attack
You will notice small objects such as ornaments oscillating
You will notice vibrations in your diaphragm
You will hear a distant hissing in your ears
You will feel dizzy, you will feel the need to vomit

There will be bleeding from orifices
There will be an ache in the pelvic region
You may be subject to fits of hysterical shouting or even laughter

These are all sign of imminent psionic destruction
Your only protection is flight
If you are less than ten years old
Remain in your shelter and use your cocoon

Remember you can help no one else, no one else
You can help no one else, no one else
You can help no one else, no one else....

A public service announcement brought to you by your psychedelic overlords.

This as well for me...but more sci-fi...I imagine a war where the "attacks" are on a populations mind, and the "front" is somewhere in this mindspace...24/7

Man I love that song. Forget Don't Fear the Reaper, Veteran of the Psychic Wars is jaw droppingly good.
I case of psionic attack, I believe this advice works as well...

A public service announcement brought to you by your psychedelic overlords.
Sadly, that's Sonic Attack.

But it was written and performed by Michael Moorcock, so bonusn points there. The same Moorcock also co wrote Veteran of the Psychic Wars. So extra weird coincidence points for a very good score!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back