So what's wrong with Celerity in Vampire 20th?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Shipyard Locked

How long do I have?
Reaction score
So in some other thread, someone here mentioned that Celerity is really weak in Vampire 20th. How so? How should it be fixed?

I don't own the book so I can't check for myself.

The sad thing is, I came here to make the exact same joke.

I even get beat to the punch on my lame humor around here...

The sad thing is, I came here to make the exact same joke.

I even get beat to the punch on my lame humor around here...
At least thanks to your avatar, your comment reads well in a bemused Kermit voice.

So in some other thread, someone here mentioned that Celerity is really weak in Vampire 20th.

I did. But TBH I go back and forth on this.

V20 Celerity charges 1 blood point for each additional action you take. So if you have Celerity 3 and wade into a hairy combat and want to make use of every dot, it'll cost you 3 blood per round to take those sweet 4 actions. (You can choose to spend 1 or 2 only, meaning you get only 1 or 2 additional actions.)

To make up for this they've also made each dot in Celerity a passive Dexterity increase — Celerity 3 means 3 extra dice with every Dexterity roll. So Dex 3, Melee 3 and Celerity 3 means 9 dice on that "cut up a shovelhead" roll, which is not too shabby.

I go back and forth on this because Celerity was a huge deal back in our V2/VRev days and use to devastating effect in many a game. You wanted a combat monster, putting a ton of points in Celerity was your first stop — pretty obvious that getting multiple shots at each round trumps anything else. Charging 1 blood for each action sort of cramps this style, which may be desirable from a game balance PoV but doesn't quite feel like ye olde Masquerade.

On the other hand the Dexterity bonus is pretty sweet.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back