Spider-Man: No Way Home

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I have some questions. Like, what is Steven's motivation here? This is clearly a dangerous spell, so why is he doing it? And Peter just *didn't* think it through at all? Is he stupid? Like, I don't get it.

I will watch and enjoy the movie I'm sure, but from the trailer it looks like a dumbass asked God for a favour that had the potential to ruin the world, and God was like 'Absolutely, let's do this'.

Summary of Spider-Man: Far From Home Trailer

1. Spider-Man is declared the number 1 public menace
2. Spider-Man distracts Strange while meddling with space and time on his behalf.
3. Strange screws up all of space and time.
4. Spider-Man is responsible for screwing up space and time.
5. J Jonah Jameson is proven right that Spider-Man is the public’s biggest threat.

And now I lump Spidsr-Man in with those hypocritical muties.

Dope trailer.

You know, I have a huge gripe with the way MCU handled Spidey.

Homecoming treated him as Tony Stark’s bumbling sidekick. A shame, too, because Tom Holland isn’t half bad and Michael Keaton’s Vulture was amazing (and God knows the MCU needs good villains). And I still hope we get to see the Scorpion in action.

Far From Home made him an agent of SHIELD in all but name, and a fairly ineffective one at that. Also gave him a swarm of killer drones because plot device. Jake Gyllenhaal’s Mysterio was a pretty effective antagonist actually, but of course Tony Stark had to be involved somehow.

And now he’ll be the guys who screws up a Dr. Strange spell, Sorcerer’s Apprentice style. Really?

Which leads me into a larger point: before the MCU, Spider-Man was probably the most widely recognizable Marvel character. He does not need to be hitched to Tony Stark to be a viable movie.

Raimi’s movies did just fine because they grasped the essence of the character — the hardworking, salt-of-the-Earth, well-meaning working-class loser kid from Queens who fumbles his way through work, study, family and superheroics.

(The casting did help. Maguire, Dunst, Dafoe, Molina, Simmons, those movies are crawling — pardon the pun — with good talent.)

Now what we get is Tony Stark’s intern/heir. And all because Marvel’s executives are now Disney executives, and traded their maverick attitudes that carved out an empire into the same old risk-averse Hollywood exec bullshit.

As if goddamn Spider-Man was too much of a risk to stand on its own feet.

Fuck that shit.

Homecoming treated him as Tony Stark’s bumbling sidekick. A shame, too, because Tom Holland isn’t half bad and Michael Keaton’s Vulture was amazing (and God knows the MCU needs good villains). And I still hope we get to see the Scorpion in action.

Far From Home made him an agent of SHIELD in all but name, and a fairly ineffective one at that. Also gave him a swarm of killer drones because plot device. Jake Gyllenhaal’s Mysterio was a pretty effective antagonist actually, but of course Tony Stark had to be involved somehow.

And now he’ll be the guys who screws up a Dr. Strange spell, Sorcerer’s Apprentice style. Really?

Which leads me into a larger point: before the MCU, Spider-Man was probably the most widely recognizable Marvel character. He does not need to be hitched to Tony Stark to be a viable movie.

Raimi’s movies did just fine because they grasped the essence of the character — the hardworking, salt-of-the-Earth, well-meaning working-class loser kid from Queens who fumbles his way through work, study, family and superheroics.

(The casting did help. Maguire, Dunst, Dafoe, Molina, Simmons, those movies are crawling — pardon the pun — with good talent.)

Now what we get is Tony Stark’s intern/heir. And all because Marvel’s executives are now Disney executives, and traded their maverick attitudes that carved out an empire into the same old risk-averse Hollywood exec bullshit.

As if goddamn Spider-Man was too much of a risk to stand on its own feet.

Fuck that shit.

1110C367-3290-4A75-B07B-90EC5CB69A34.jpeg

Fuck that shit.

I agree with all that. The newest Spider-Man movies are alright but suffer from two things:
1. The strategy that every movie has to connect to every other movie.
2. Robert Downey Jr. is very popular so they tried to maximize his screen time while he was still under contract.

Last night I was talking to my daughter about this trailer and she said she was looking forward to seeing Tobey MacGuire again. She said he was her favorite Spidey.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Spider-Man 3. Yeah it does a crappy Venom story but I just love all the Harry and Peter parts.

“I’m gonna kick your ass!”
“Oooooooh!”

Yes I'm one of those weirdoes who LOVES the Tobey MacGuire spidey films.

I never heard that as being weird. All of my friends and coworkers who express having a favorite Spider-Man all agree on MacGuire..Or McGuire, as we always thought it was spelled.

Homecoming was essentially where my love affair with the MCU ended. I have not seen the second Spidey film, and I won't see this one.

I never heard that as being weird. All of my friends and coworkers who express having a favorite Spider-Man all agree on MacGuire..Or McGuire, as we always thought it was spelled.
I love those films, too, of course... but Holland is by far my favorite Peter Parker.

Qualitatively I do not see much of a difference between the Raimi Spidermans (Spidermen???) and the new ones. I think they each add something that the other was missing, but also are not complete themselves. The Amazing Spiderman was trash though. Absolute garbage.

Qualitatively I do not see much of a difference between the Raimi Spidermans (Spidermen???) and the new ones. I think they each add something that the other was missing, but also are not complete themselves. The Amazing Spiderman was trash though. Absolute garbage.

Yeah I turned Amazing Spiderman off about a half hour in, which I usually don't do. I was just not engaged at all but I couldn't put my finger on way outside of toxic mediocrity.

Yeah I turned Amazing Spiderman off about a half hour in, which I usually don't do. I was just not engaged at all but I couldn't put my finger on way outside of toxic mediocrity.
It was just such a low effort movie.

And it wasn't fun. Which is a crime.

I think that's overreaching.

The problem with moving Spider-Man to the MCU is the fact that Spider-Man hasn't "gone away" as a franchise long enough to do a regular reboot. You mention the Raimi films. Those are great. The first problem is they weren't that long ago. You can only do the reboot well if there's enough absence.
And the other problem is Hollywood politics -- this isn't just Disney. The problem is when Marvel was not owned by a movie house, they licensed characters to studios. But when Disney acquired Marvel and got success after success, the other studios see them as competition and don't want to give something back they may have given up before to further help the competition.

So we got the first reboot with "Amazing Spider-Man". I actually enjoyed it, but they had to make his Girlfriend Gwen Stacy right away to avoid retreading MJ and we got different villains. But that didn't work out so well. So Sony and Disney worked together.

I think they did what they had to do -- since the classic origin was done so many times, and they wanted to focus on High School rather than college, they redid elements, cribbing some elements of Ultimate Spider-Man, both from Parker's perspective as well as Michael Morales. I can't argue with success.

As far as the plots of the first two movies -- well, the point of the Sony/Disney team-up was to take advantage of the MCU, and these are referenced in the comics. Tony Stark's mentoring comes from the period where Spidey was an Avenger and Civil War happened. Nick Fury came from Ultimate Spider-Man during the Parker era. As time goes on, we should expect newer stories and villains to be explored. So I don't so that being a bad thing.

Personally I think they are taking more risks with the reboot -- MJ and several of the support cast is different, and they are exploring working with other characters. The safe mode would just to redo all the classic stuff IMO.

355 million views in 24 hours.
The one thing I am worried about is that all the pent-up expectation might lead to some disappointment.

This thing is a teaser, so of course there's not as much to go on. We see Spider-man dealing with his "outing", and going to Strange for help (likely touching on One More Day without the Mephisto angle that bugged so many people). It looks like Spider-Man is fighting with Strange later. And we now see the hints of all the villains from the other two movie continuities, likely going to touch upon the Sinister Six storylines.

I think the problem though is that there's too much trying to predict what's going to happen, memes, speculation, etc. If things don't go exactly to these expectations there's bound to be disappointment. Will Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield appears as alternate Spider-Men? Is there truth to the Charlie Cox cameo rumors?

I found Infinity War-Endgame suffering in my mind from that. The ultimate team up was hyped, but to me expectations sometimes lead to disappointment. I loved the interactions, but things went a different way, the action of the first movie prevented more of the cool dialog moments, while the second movie suffered from the reduced cast (I really would have explored a different plot, like the blipped characters stuck in the Soul Gem having their own adventures). When you start overthinking and having too much anticipation for these major events, it can affect the enjoyment. I'm trying not to think about any of the possible outcomes so I can enjoy the movie better.

That's why I pleased about Shang-Chi -- going to see that today. I have no idea what to expect -- I didn't read Master of Kung Fu, haven't seen much with the character, and there's so many things different in the MCU version, so I expect to have a good time.

Last edited:
New trailer drop. My daughter and I are very excited to see this probably because we want to see Tobey come back for one last curtain call.

giphy.gif

Thomas Hayden Church back for one last time too.

Where’s Topher Grace and James Franco at???

No Mageina Tovah?

No reason for me to watch.

Well, we know we're getting a multiverse of villains from the previous 2 incarnations, but I'm maintaining skepticism about Tobey or Andrew showing up, because I'd rather have lower expectations and be surprised instead of disappointed.

Marvel has kind of stated not to overthink this. I think the best case scenario is there will be a few cameos.

Well, Peter does say in the trailer “I can’t do this alone” meaning....

It’s wise in this day and age not to upset the fan base too much otherwise they’ll overrun Marvel’s Twitter.

Well, Peter does say in the trailer “I can’t do this alone” meaning....

It’s wise in this day and age not to upset the fan base too much otherwise they’ll overrun Marvel’s Twitter.
That would be Twitter working as intended; if you want Marvel/Disney to sit up and listen, you’ll have to cut into the box office and merchandise sales numbers… and good luck with that.

I'm looking forward to it myself. Venom was fun for what it was, and while I liked Eternals, it did leave a bad taste in my mouth over a few things (length and how they dumbed down the Deviants being the two biggest issues). This has that silly fun vibe Venom had (though likely a bit more serious), so I hope it will be a fun film

Hearing good things about Venom 2. At this point just another superhero movie ain't going to do it for me.

Last edited:
Hearing good things about Venom 2. At this point just another superhero movie ian't going go do it for me.
I wasn't even aware of that, class! And I see it has Stephen Graham.

Is that James Franco? Or blurry CGI of Franco at any rate.

james-franco-goblin.png

Hearing good things about Venom 2. At this point just another superhero movie ain't going to do it for me.
Venom was definitely not a superhero movie. It's got super powered people in it, and while Venom does good things, he's not a hero. Plus Woody Harrelson's character is much like his character from Natural Born Killers in many respects, just tone down a little.

Given the end credits of Venom, I suspect Spiderman vs Venom will be something down the road (or an eventual meeting, fight between them, then team up against a worse villain)

Can we talk about this already?
I mean, those of us who already saw it in theatre? :shade:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back