Star Frontiers: Return to Archangel

Toric

Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2019
Messages
477
Reaction score
442
Things never go easy.

One week ago...

Luna Laredo, Zinthos and Ixitak X'itac sat in a large auditorium full of people looking for a job. A Major Manning with the UPF performed the subsequent briefing. The lights were dimmed and then she pressed a button on her podium bringing up a small, UPF science vessel in open space clearly marked with the name Star Gazer.

"One month ago a passing UPF science vessel en-route to Starmist picked up a very faint signal from grid coordinates 09, P. They immediately investigated the signal and found it to have originated in a system at those coordinates. They transmitted their report with a brief summary of the new system and a voice file attached form some unknown source. Upon closer examination our UPF linguistics experts were able to pick out just two words, the rest was inaudible.

She pushed another button and the auditorium was filled with the sound of a garbled, synthetic voice: "....Archangel Clear...Archangel...Clear..." repeated again and again, masked by static.

Manning cut the audio and continued. "The crew of the Star Gazer has not been heard from since and is now five days overdue for their standard ship maintenance at Prenglar." She pauses and then changes the view on the holo-vid from the image of the ship in space to a readout of system data.

SYSTEM BRIEF
System: IO (09, P)
Habitable World: Archangel
Moons: 1
Star: Yellow
Total # of planets in the system: 5
Artificial Satellites: Beacons, x100
Gravity: .8 g
Length of Day: 20 hours
Length of Year: 351 days
Prevalent Race: Unknown
Population: Unknown
Trade: Unknown

Manning cleared her throat and continued. "A search of our databases turned up an old reference to a colony advance team with 100 colonists that went missing in this general area in the year 389PF, 500 years ago. The colony ship's name was Archangel and our scholars think that it is too much of a coincidence that a radio signal stating that name is now found in the same region of space where a ship bearing the name was lost. They believe that the Star Gazer has stumbled upon the Archangel and has now gone missing as well."

"The UPF's Planetary Survey Administration, in conjunction with the Human Relations Department, has immediately set about manning and outfitting the UPFS Seeker, the nearest planetary survey and research vessel, with plans to send it to the area to investigate, retrieve whatever scientific data was collected by the Star Gazer and recover the crew if possible. This is where all of you come in. We need people to fill in the gaps and round out the crew. All volunteers will be paid 50 credits per day once the work begins and 10 credits per day while traveling as well as food and lodging while on this mission.

The three of you signed up. Fourteen days round-trip to and from this system would net each of you an easy 140 credits. The fact that the UPF decided to remit these 140 credits up front sweetened the deal. Plus 50 credits a day just to investigate some missing science vessel? It all seemed easy enough.

Of course, things went terribly wrong shortly thereafter. Upon arriving in the system, it was discovered that there were 100 satellites orbiting the planet at 15,000 km. An old beacon message played stating that the quarantine of the planet was now clear. As the Seeker entered orbit, the satellites emitted some sort of EMP disabling most of the shipboard electronics. Then they attacked. During the attack, a scan of the planet turned up the ruins of a moderately large city. Despite the best efforts of the crew, along with Luna, Zinthos and Ixitak, the Seeker had to make a forced landing on the planet.

The space combat and subsequent hard landing unfortunately caused a console to explode one the bridge killing two of the crew members, the captain and pilot. Two members of the crew survived, a dralasite technician named Urb Slorb and a human female communications officer named Sissi Wilkins.

Present...

The Seeker has just put down hard on the planet's surface. If the Star Gazer encountered those satellites that brought down the Seeker, perhaps it's remains are on the surface of the planet somewhere as well. The Seeker was put down somewhere around 15 km from the ruins of the city seen from space. The surrounding terrain is rocky, uneven hills. Clearly getting off the planet will take some time. Either the Seeker will need to be repaired or the group will need to wait for rescue. Sissi reports that it would be a minimum of 21 days before any rescue could be expected. Hey, at least you'll be well-compensated when you return to civilization! 50 credits a day adds up quickly. But to get that money, you gotta survive and probably at least attempt to learn something about this planet, and perhaps the fate of the Star Gazer in the process. Secondarily, fixing the ship might be worth exploring in the event that no rescue ever comes, or does come and encounters the satellite defense system. It might take awhile before the UPF realizes that they need to send a military vessel to deal with that.

You all stand in or outside the downed Seeker. The ship is emitting some light smoke from its engines. You know that the ruins of the city you discovered before landing are 15 km to the northwest. Adventure awaits!

OOC: Feel free to spend the 140 credits you were paid before leaving on any gear you'd like.
 
Last edited:

Toric

Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2019
Messages
477
Reaction score
442
Galaxy.jpg

The Io system where you now find yourselves stranded is the unexplored system just below and to the right of Araks.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
OOC: I'm ready whenever everyone else is. I updated my gear in the OOC thread.

"May as well salvage what we can and head for the ruins to see what we can find," suggests Luna Laredo as she surveys the wreckage and nonchalantly steps over any dead bodies. "You wanna waste time and energy burying these guys, be my guest."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,415
Reaction score
10,880
OOC - Updated character as well. Good to go!
"Who out the defense system in place? That's not a simple endeavor. And why? Who or what was attacking them to justify that effort?" Zinthos asks before adding
"Whoever did it might be coming to complete the job. We might want to exit quickly and cover our tracks. Should I erase our records from any operational computers? Or pull data storage?"
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,203
Reaction score
1,599
"I would pull the ztorage, click, so we, click would have a click cezz to it later if necessary. Iz every click click one alrightz? I will leave traclickz covering to you withz ze knowledge" (OOC: I can drop the clicks and let you assume them if you prefer.)
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,415
Reaction score
10,880
Zin sees if he can access any functional computers and/or failing that access any of the physical data storage quickly.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
"Enough felgercarb! Erase, delete, grab what you can," says Lunda. "Let's cover our tracks and get the frack out of here!"
 

Toric

Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2019
Messages
477
Reaction score
442
Zin is easily able to access a computer terminal. The system is still functioning, although there is some lag indicating some damage somewhere in the system. A quick inquiry is able to tell him that subspace radio, main engines and life support systems are all severely damaged and would need more than just simple repair. Spare parts will be required to make those repairs as the EMP that hit the ship damaged key electrical components. These spare parts would need to be sought out on the planet in order to fix the ship and leave. Otherwise, waiting for rescue is the only option. Maybe if the wreckage of the Star Gazer is located, or even the much older ship Archangel, parts would be available there?

If Zin or Ixitak wants to wants to erase computer records or pull data, either would need an Operating Computers roll, followed by a Manipulating Programs roll.

Luna casually steps over a couple of the crew that didn't survive the attack by the satellites and the hard landing. Urb and Sissi look horrified, although it is somewhat difficult to tell that with the dralasite. "Perhaps Urb and I should stay here and keep an eye on the ship? Or at least nearby? It could be our only way off this planet..." Sissi says hopefully, but looks as if she expects to be backhanded by Luna at any moment.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,415
Reaction score
10,880
Zin fires up the terminal poking around for records locating the ones for crew lists, cabin assignments, payroll and command structure. He attempts to delete anything pertaining to the survivors.

Operate Computers roll = 3(RAW)
Manipulate Program roll = 41 (RAW)
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
I scout around the wreck looking for anything worth salvaging and keeping an eye on our surroundings, watching the immediate vicinity as well as the sky and horizon, intermittently. I compose and mumble a work song while I go about my business:
"Alguien será apuñalado
Ellos no creerán el dolor
Alguien será apuñalado
Espero que su sangre tenga color."
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,203
Reaction score
1,599
I check everyone over, treating anything beyond bruises, "Lo <click> alz, pathog <click>ens may be dangers, keep wounds clean..wary of <click> "lo <click> water without <click> apsules" he says and does what he needs to do if anyone
 

Toric

Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2019
Messages
477
Reaction score
442
Ixitak finds nothing more than bumps and bruises amongst the crash survivors.

Zin is able to locate the information he wants, and attempts to wipe any data pertaining to the survivors. After a few minutes, he believes he has been successful in this endeavor. OOC: Nothing too tricky, 50% chance of success, which he beat.

Luna looks around for anything useful to salvage from the ship and finds nothing particularly helpful beyond what equipment has already been gathered. To the north and northeast are rocky hills, with the same on the horizon to the south and west. The ship was put down in a valley between these chains of hills. Somewhere to the northeast, about 15 klicks away is where the ruined city should be, just on the other side of the range of hills. There are no clouds in the sky, and the yellow sun shines slightly dimly, although the temperature is comfortable enough, perhaps 18 degrees celsius.

While Luna watches the horizon, she notices what appears to be an unkempt, half-naked human woman running through some scrubby brush perhaps 50 meters north of the downed ship. She appears frightened but casts a glance towards Luna and the Seeker, but continues running to the west without stopping. Moments later, a thunderous roar shatters the relative quiet and a huge bearlike creature shambles into view. The creature looks towards the running woman, then towards Luna and snorts. Then it begins loping towards Luna, picking up speed by the second. Luna is perhaps 5 meters away from the hatch leading into the ship, which is open. The bear is 40 meters away and closing. Ixitak and Zin are still inside, along with Urb and Sissi.

OOC: The bear looks very much like a prehistoric earth bear. It is 10 meters long and 5 meters high at the shoulder, so in other words, huge. It has a few bony protrusions that look much like spikes on its shoulders. Big teeth and razor sharp claws. Otherwise, looks like a big old bear.
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,415
Reaction score
10,880
Zin says excitedly 'All done! I think. We can go if you guys want now."
 

Silverlion

Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
1,203
Reaction score
1,599
Ixitak's antennas twitch for some reason and he glances outside ."<click> What's <sclick" going on out <click>there?" he asks aloud.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
14,734
Reaction score
29,273
If it looks like I can duck inside before the creature arrives, I'll do that and try to close the hatch behind me; if I don't have time I'll fire as many gyrojet rifle shots as I can before trying to jump aside so it runs into the wreck behind me. Either way I mutter under my breath, "This planet sucks donkey dick."
 
Top