Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
That's something that could be interesting. It would be even better if they made the sets and tech look like what we saw in "The Cage." I recently got a hold of a Marvel comic book series set in the Captain Pike era.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
But I still think Star Trek needs to stop with the "prequels" and make another leap forward about 70-80 years like they did when The Next Generation went on the air.

But I still think Star Trek needs to stop with the "prequels" and make another leap forward about 70-80 years like they did when The Next Generation went on the air.

Didn't Discovery jump forward past the time of Next Generation?

And yet people bitched and moaned about Picard. Which I really enjoyed.

I don’t know my Star Trek that well. Is the Pike here the same one that was in the JJ verse? He directly proceeded Kirk as captain? What happened to him after that?

I don’t know my Star Trek that well. Is the Pike here the same one that was in the JJ verse? He directly proceeded Kirk as captain? What happened to him after that?

Since this is an offshoot of Discovery, he should be the one from the original (or Prime) universe, not the Abrams one

Since this is an offshoot of Discovery, he should be the one from the original (or Prime) universe, not the Abrams one
Yes, this. For some reason there's a lot of people on the internet who will tell you that any or all of the recent "All Access" era shows are part of the universe of the Abrams films, but they're not (you would be forgiven for thinking so based solely on art design, in some cases, but in terms of storytelling it's all the Prime universe).

So what happened to Pike in the prime universe?

latest

He was the captain in the first pilot, parts of which were worked into the episodes for The Menagerie story. I don't know if they say why he left the Enterprise.

Pike was the captain in the original pilot for Star Trek "The Cage", then Gene redid the pilot with Shatner as Kirk, but Pike was kept in-cannon as the second captain of the Enterprise (after Robert April).

Then, as shown above, the character was brought back in the OS episode "The Cage", which made use of footage from the (then unaired) pilot and portrayed his later fate as having an accident where radiation destroyed his body, being stuck in a brainwave-operated wheelchair that can only communicate through a blinking light.

This also led to this section from Trekkies that had my friends and I buckled over in tears the first time we saw it:

I just had this random question pop up in my mind. It seems like the ships stay in service for over a hundred years. Don’t they eventually retire ships as they become outdated? I know Enterprise was rebuilt, but why not just retire the name? I guess the merchandising answer is $$$ but I was thinking “in universe”.

I just had this random question pop up in my mind. It seems like the ships stay in service for over a hundred years. Don’t they eventually retire ships as they become outdated? I know Enterprise was rebuilt, but why not just retire the name? I guess the merchandising answer is $$$ but I was thinking “in universe”.

In the 6th film, the Enterprise is set to report to space dock to be decommissioned - so I don't think they stick around for over a hundred years. As to re-using the name, it's really no different in the US Navy, just tradition leads to certain ship names being popular and re-used.

The carrier Enterprise is the 8th U.S. ship with the name and they're building the 9th.
Big ships stick around a while as they're so expensive. The recent carrier Enterprise was in service for 60 and on the inactive roster for another 5.
It's cheaper to upgrade weapons and stuff to extend their life. Selling to a weaker navy is also an option - WWII ships were in navies around the world for 50 years afterwords.
Some wooden ships lasted up to a century - depends on speed of tech change.

According to lore, TOS Enterprise was in service for 40 years, which sounds reasonable.

That's something that could be interesting. It would be even better if they made the sets and tech look like what we saw in "The Cage." I recently got a hold of a Marvel comic book series set in the Captain Pike era.

Not going to happen. This is the bridge of the Enterprise under Captain Pike now:

st-pikespock.jpg

pike.png

This series has been all but officially confirmed for several months now. Rumors of it began around August of last year. It was officially confirmed Friday, and it has also been officially confirmed that this series will be more episodic than Discovery and Picard, and much more optimistic in tone.

In the Prime Timeline, Captain Christopher Pike was near retirement and was overseeing a training cruise of cadets when an accident happened which flooded the ship with radiation. He managed to save all of the cadets, but was completely paralyzed from the head down in the process. In the Kelvin Timeline, he was paralyzed from the waist down by Lord Nero, got better and was walking with a cane, and then was shot and killed by Khan Noonien Singh.

Spock was emotional in "The Cage." Openly smiling, and screaming "The WOMEN!" It was only later that he began to better emulate the Vulcan philosophy, which I imagine the series will depict.

Discovery will now be in the 32nd Century, so that will be new. There are no plans for Discovery to come back from the 32nd Century. Indeed, there's already plans for a fourth season where the crew of the Discovery examine what happened to the Dominion between the 24th and 32nd Centuries, if rumors are to believed.

Well, this is the timeline where Spock angrily punches khan in the face repeatedly while screaming, so - yeah...
Actually it's supposed to be the original timeline from what I have heard, despite all the discrepancies and inconsistencies.

I'm getting 404 errors from the links.
Spock's emotions on display:

The second season of Discovery involved a lot of time travel, and Captain Pike got a glimpse of himself disfigured in the life-support chair if he were to continue with the destruction of CONTROL. He recoiled in terror at first, but then went through with it anyway, accepting his fate.

dsc-212-pikechair-640x267.jpg

The second season of Discovery involved a lot of time travel, and Captain Pike got a glimpse of himself disfigured in the life-support chair if he were to continue with the destruction of CONTROL. He recoiled in terror at first, but then went through with it anyway, accepting his fate.

View attachment 18231

One of the truly sublime scenes in the haphazard construct that Discovery turned out to be. What a magnificent badass. (Total Kirk stand-in but I was strangely okay with that.)

One of the truly sublime scenes in the haphazard construct that Discovery turned out to be. What a magnificent badass. (Total Kirk stand-in but I was strangely okay with that.)
No wonder they gave him his own pre-TOS show and shuttled Discovery off to the grim darkness of the far future.
Well, this is the timeline where Spock angrily punches khan in the face repeatedly while screaming, so - yeah...
(sigh) No, it isn't - the three Abrams/Pine movies are the only (non-comic) examples we have that aren't part of the Prime universe.

And yet people bitched and moaned about Picard. Which I really enjoyed.
People bitched because what they got was not the real Captain Picard. The real Captain was a diplomatic hero, some would say self-righteous, but he saved the Federation and galaxy multiple times. The show made him into a doddering fool, who got led around by a hot topic crew, being blamed for things he had no control over. There was a rewriting of iconic species and characters, changing them into dark and corrupted vision of themselves, in the modern nihilistic approach that most American Television prides itself as being 'topical' and 'relevant'.

They bitched because they know Star Trek better than Secret Hideout and Bad Robot ever did, that it's a hopeful setting, that we can believe that we will be better than we are now. The fans don't need another pessimistic show about doom and gloom, they can look outside their window for that. The show runners also wanted to keep the show topical and relevant, but they don't seem to realize that these ideas are fleeting, what is topical now, won't be in a few years.

Most of ToS and Next Gen stays popular because the themes and stories are timeless.

Actually that's not quite correct. The 'Prime' universe is another Bad Robot/Secret Hideout a spin off because the Kelvin Universe flopped, and the fact Paramount and CBS had complex right issues. Not to mention that Abrams' companies having a deal of their own for Star Trek merchandise (the real money maker) that CBS literally scoffed at. The rumour is that BR wanted CBS to stop selling the Original and Next Gen toys so they 'wouldn't compete with itself', and CBS looked at them and laughed in tens of millions of dollars at Abrams.

The 'Prime' universe is Bad Robot/Secret Hideout's attempt at trying to make their projects linked to the Original universe for the money. They want to insinuate that their stuff is just as 'important' as the ToS/NG stuff is, but no one is buying it, often quite literally. There's almost no merchandise for Discovery and Picard, not in the numbers that ToS brought. Most of the toy makers are not willing to make anything from anything Abrams' projects. Star Wars toys are proving of that, as almost everything from their Trilogy and spinoffs, which was started by Bad Robot has been sitting on shelves and clearance bins within months of movie releases.

If this new show comes out, we'll found out then. There's the question of: Where are they getting the money? Netflx blew CBS off after Season 1 of Discovery when that show bombed, so they had to scramble to get cash for the second season, which I believe Amazon forked over, likely thinking 'Holy hell! Netflix is not interested in a STAR TREK SHOW? Are they stupid?' and when they got the numbers in then Amazon was 'Oh, now we see why... Um, yeah, this third season? We is out after.' Part of Picard's Budget got siphoned to STD to cover the last season.

And that's the reason we're getting a Pike show. Anson Mount's and Rebecca Romijn's performances on STD was the one bright spot that the Star Trek watchers liked so they're trying to capitalize on it. Because if STD and STP were popular we'd be getting more seasons of those. Yes, I know Picard is getting a second season, but that's because they bought two seasons straight out. It's like CW's Batwoman, withj the viewership ratings as the lowest of it's ilk, but it's getting at least two more seasons because they got a deal for it from the start.

That site by the way is owned by CBS. So yeah, trust them to be honest with everything about their parent company.
Yes, CBS owns it, which is why they have access to actual information instead of unsupported assertions such as those you constantly post about Star Trek, Star Wars, and every other IP out there, just as I said.

Yes, CBS owns it, which is why they have access to actual information instead of unsupported assertions such as those you constantly post about Star Trek, Star Wars, and every other IP out there, just as I said.
And you think they don't lie about their properties and how well they're doing, to keep their investors happy? Really? You've never worked in the corporate world have you? (Not a slight, most people don't.) In fact, I'm almost certain that the information I've been given has been sugar coated for my benefit.

And you think they don't lie about their properties and how well they're doing, to keep their investors happy? Really? You've never worked in the corporate world have you? (Not a slight, most people don't.) In fact, I'm almost certain that the information I've been given has been sugar coated for my benefit.
You claim insider information on every IP and yet can never support anything you say and we both know you don't work in the industry. Based on your prior statements, you don't work at all. You're the same guy who claims Star Wars is losing money, etc. Why should anyone believe anything you post about these topics? Upload your supporting evidence. We both know you won't because per usual you're talking out of your ass just like your bizarre political screed about She-Ra. You see boogeymen everywhere.

(sigh) No, it isn't - the three Abrams/Pine movies are the only (non-comic) examples we have that aren't part of the Prime universe.

Then why do events in the Kelvin timeline affect the Picard series?

People bitched because what they got was not the real Captain Picard. The real Captain was a diplomatic hero, some would say self-righteous, but he saved the Federation and galaxy multiple times. The show made him into a doddering fool, who got led around by a hot topic crew, being blamed for things he had no control over. There was a rewriting of iconic species and characters, changing them into dark and corrupted vision of themselves, in the modern nihilistic approach that most American Television prides itself as being 'topical' and 'relevant'.

They bitched because they know Star Trek better than Secret Hideout and Bad Robot ever did, that it's a hopeful setting, that we can believe that we will be better than we are now. The fans don't need another pessimistic show about doom and gloom, they can look outside their window for that. The show runners also wanted to keep the show topical and relevant, but they don't seem to realize that these ideas are fleeting, what is topical now, won't be in a few years.

Most of ToS and Next Gen stays popular because the themes and stories are timeless.

Actually that's not quite correct. The 'Prime' universe is another Bad Robot/Secret Hideout a spin off because the Kelvin Universe flopped, and the fact Paramount and CBS had complex right issues. Not to mention that Abrams' companies having a deal of their own for Star Trek merchandise (the real money maker) that CBS literally scoffed at. The rumour is that BR wanted CBS to stop selling the Original and Next Gen toys so they 'wouldn't compete with itself', and CBS looked at them and laughed in tens of millions of dollars at Abrams.

The 'Prime' universe is Bad Robot/Secret Hideout's attempt at trying to make their projects linked to the Original universe for the money. They want to insinuate that their stuff is just as 'important' as the ToS/NG stuff is, but no one is buying it, often quite literally. There's almost no merchandise for Discovery and Picard, not in the numbers that ToS brought. Most of the toy makers are not willing to make anything from anything Abrams' projects. Star Wars toys are proving of that, as almost everything from their Trilogy and spinoffs, which was started by Bad Robot has been sitting on shelves and clearance bins within months of movie releases.

If this new show comes out, we'll found out then. There's the question of: Where are they getting the money? Netflx blew CBS off after Season 1 of Discovery when that show bombed, so they had to scramble to get cash for the second season, which I believe Amazon forked over, likely thinking 'Holy hell! Netflix is not interested in a STAR TREK SHOW? Are they stupid?' and when they got the numbers in then Amazon was 'Oh, now we see why... Um, yeah, this third season? We is out after.' Part of Picard's Budget got siphoned to STD to cover the last season.

And that's the reason we're getting a Pike show. Anson Mount's and Rebecca Romijn's performances on STD was the one bright spot that the Star Trek watchers liked so they're trying to capitalize on it. Because if STD and STP were popular we'd be getting more seasons of those. Yes, I know Picard is getting a second season, but that's because they bought two seasons straight out. It's like CW's Batwoman, withj the viewership ratings as the lowest of it's ilk, but it's getting at least two more seasons because they got a deal for it from the start.
Star Trek has always been politically inspired by the time it is made. In other news, so are almost all tv, movies and literature.

What people didn't like was the same thing they always don't like. They didnt let the show breathe for itself and instead wanted their version.

So instead of old, careworn and 30 years older Picard, they wanted The Inner Light redux. They wanted Best of Both Worlds part 3.

As for funding, I think Amazon outbid everyone else. Much like they did when Clarkson and co left Top Gear.

My advice, leave the YouTube conspiracy theories alone and either enjoy it for what it is, or don't watch.

Either way you'll be happier.

Then why do events in the Kelvin timeline affect the Picard series?
Because that's the PRIME timeline that Bad Robot/Secret Hideout created. This is how they want to get their projects to be accepted as 'real' Star Trek, most fans don't buy.

This is how they want to get their projects to be accepted as 'real' Star Trek, most fans don't buy.

I guess that's "easier" than actually writing stories and characters that are consistent with the prior series?

Star Trek has always been politically inspired by the time it is made. In other news, so are almost all tv, movies and literature.

What people didn't like was the same thing they always don't like. They didnt let the show breathe for itself and instead wanted their version.

So instead of old, careworn and 30 years older Picard, they wanted The Inner Light redux. They wanted Best of Both Worlds part 3.

As for funding, I think Amazon outbid everyone else. Much like they did when Clarkson and co left Top Gear.

My advice, leave the YouTube conspiracy theories alone and either enjoy it for what it is, or don't watch.

Either way you'll be happier.
What does YouTube to do with this? Most industry papers reveal most of this information. And here's the thing, if they audience wants 'Their Version', then maybe they should have made it. This idea that the audience is 'too entitled' is frankly garbage. The AUDIENCE is who determines what's good and what's profitable. And if the Audience doesn't like it, well, sucks to be you, go back to the drawing board and try again.

Which is, by the way, exactly what CBS is doing with this Pike show, people didn't care for Michael Burnham or Picard so they're trying to recoup the money they spent. It's how they're wooing their investors to give them money for Star Trek. Will it work? Most of the investors have no been happy with how the property has been losing money. There's a reason the fourth Star Trek movie is in limbo.

What does YouTube to do with this? Most industry papers reveal most of this information. And here's the thing, if they audience wants 'Their Version', then maybe they should have made it. This idea that the audience is 'too entitled' is frankly garbage. The AUDIENCE is who determines what's good and what's profitable. And if the Audience doesn't like it, well, sucks to be you, go back to the drawing board and try again.

Which is, by the way, exactly what CBS is doing with this Pike show, people didn't care for Michael Burnham or Picard so they're trying to recoup the money they spent. It's how they're wooing their investors to give them money for Star Trek. Will it work? Most of the investors have no been happy with how the property has been losing money. There's a reason the fourth Star Trek movie is in limbo.
Feel free to provide the links to these industry paper articles. But you won't since these exposés don't exist outside your head.
tin-foil-hat-for-cats-0.jpg

I guess that's "easier" than actually writing stories and characters that are consistent with the prior series?
This is actually a matter of contracts. For the longest time, the split between Paramount and CBS muddied the waters. Paramount owned all the rights to the OLD stuff, which is the movies and everything to about Enterprise, while CBS had the rights to make new Star Trek. But CBS couldn't use the old designs without having to pay Paramount a licensing fee. Which if you know anything about corporations, this is a no bueno. They HATE spending their own money on anything.

Also, Les Moonves, the previous CEO and Chairman of CBS hated Star Trek and science fiction in general (which is fine, I can barely tolerate most of it, myself. There's a reason I like Space Opera), he's the one who killed Enterprise during it's fourth season, despite a consensus that the series was getting better and better. So when Moonves, who wanted to get in on the Streaming business, decided (Smartly, as it was a money maker before the 2011) that Star Trek would be a good bet to market CBS All Access, which is the only reason he dusted off Star Trek anyway.

Unfortunately, JJ Abrams is seen in Hollywood as something of a Golden Boy, the protege of Steven Spielberg, despite most of his projects flopping after a while. But he almost always gone before he's called out on it. And since the 2009 movie did well, they figured that he would be the right person to head up the new Star Trek. Unfortunately...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back