Starship Excalibur

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Stardate 7009.22: The U.S.S. Excalibur, nearly destroyed and all hands lost during the disastrous Star Fleet war games of Stardate 6803.08 involving the experimental tactical computer known as the M-5 multitronic unit, has finally been refurbished and repaired and deemed ready for duty.
Excalibur.jpg
A new crew of the best and brightest of Star Fleet has been transferred to the prestigious Constitution-class starship, under the command of Captain Dan Conway, and entrusted by Galaxy Exploration Command with a five-year mission to survey the Xanthine Expanse: to explore strange new worlds...to seek out new life and new civilizations...to boldly go where no man has gone before!

The Xanthine Expanse is a largely unexplored region at the fringe of Federation territory, occupying several sectors uncomfortably abutting space known to be claimed by the Klingon Empire. The region is known mainly from data transmitted by primitive unmanned probes that traversed the sector nearly a hundred years past. You've just spent an uneventful month cataloguing stellar phenomena and anomalies of the Pleurotus Nebula and transmitting the data back to Star Fleet via subspace radio.
Mushroom Nebula.jpg
The Pleurotus Nebula

As the Excalibur moves on to the Sylva System, Lieutenant Anjali Chopra places her slender fingers on the transdator earpiece in her left ear even as Lieutenant Therenim, your morose-looking Andorian science officer, straightens from his sensor activity monitor.

"Captain, there's a signal from the fourth planet--a regular repeating pulse but no intelligible message," announces Lt. Chopra.

"Captain," remarks Mr. Therenim, "our sensors indicate Sylva IV is a Class M planet. Additionally, there are isolated, non-naturally occurring energy readings suggesting it is inhabited by technologically advanced sophonts."
Sylva IV.jpg
Sylva IV
 
Last edited:

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
2,362
Chief Engineer Commander Travis, who had been on bridge to deliver reports to get signed, peeks over Theremin's shoulder.

"Sure is purty."

He hopes to check out the undiscovered tech but leaves it to the captain to decide what to do, unless asked for an opinion. Exploration isn't his department.
 

Toric

Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2019
Messages
497
Reaction score
467
Lt. McLennan was on deck 6 in the gymnasium pounding away at the heavy bag hanging in front of him when the Excalibur slipped out of warp. He could tell by the subtle vibrations in the deck plating that the ship had dropped from warp. He stopped punching the bag, leaving it to sway wildly back and forth for a moment before slowly coming to a stop. He grabbed the towel on the floor next to him and wiped the sweat from his face. He then draped the towel around his neck and left the gym, heading to his quarters to get into uniform. He hoped the Captain would need him soon, perhaps for an away mission, and he hurried to get ready for when that call inevitably came.
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,836
Reaction score
4,698
Gideon is in the medical bay, attending to the day-to-day responsibilities of a Chief Medical Officer.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
I believe we are pending Supervisor194 Supervisor194 before we can really move forward here, but if anyone else wants to say or do anything, feel free to post. The Excalibur is approaching the planet but not in orbit at this time. It might be best to assume that First Officer Travis currently has the conn and the captain is in his quarters or in the rec room or somesuch place.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
I will be off the bridge running a regularly scheduled diagnostic test on the computers. The current update for the new OS was acting most illogically the other day. I think Starfleet is currently using Windows 125, which is not as good as 124 was...
 

Supervisor194

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
407
Reaction score
622
Captain Conway swivels the command chair to face Lt. Chopra.
"Is that signal directed at us, Lieutenant?"
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
OOC: Once the test is complete in the main computer room, he will make his way to the bridge and check the primary bridge computer.
 

Supervisor194

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
407
Reaction score
622
Conway turns back to the viewscreen.
"Ensign Ploog, plot a course to that planet. If it's possible I'd like to approach undetected. Mr. Therenim, keep scanning. I want to know everything we can about that signal. Lieutenant Chopra, have Mr. Ta'kar report to the bridge"
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Conway turns back to the viewscreen.
"Ensign Ploog, plot a course to that planet. If it's possible I'd like to approach undetected. Mr. Therenim, keep scanning. I want to know everything we can about that signal. Lieutenant Chopra, have Mr. Ta'kar report to the bridge"
"Aye, Captain," replies the Tellarite helmsman in his harsh snort of a voice.
OOC: Once the test is complete in the main computer room, he will make his way to the bridge and check the primary bridge computer.
Down at the main computer, Lt. Commander Ta'kar finds that the duotronic computer is running at peak efficiency thanks to his diagnostics and corrections. However, one can't help but consider it most unfortunate that Dr. Daystrom's M-5 multitronic unit didn't work out as planned. As if on cue, the usually dulcet tones of the Excalibur's chief communications officer take on a tinny aspect as they pipe down through the intraship address system: "Lt. Commander Ta'kar, report to bridge. Acknowledge."

Chief Engineer Commander Travis, who had been on bridge to deliver reports to get signed, peeks over Theremin's shoulder.

"Sure is purty."

He hopes to check out the undiscovered tech but leaves it to the captain to decide what to do, unless asked for an opinion. Exploration isn't his department.
Lt. McLennan was on deck 6 in the gymnasium pounding away at the heavy bag hanging in front of him when the Excalibur slipped out of warp. He could tell by the subtle vibrations in the deck plating that the ship had dropped from warp. He stopped punching the bag, leaving it to sway wildly back and forth for a moment before slowly coming to a stop. He grabbed the towel on the floor next to him and wiped the sweat from his face. He then draped the towel around his neck and left the gym, heading to his quarters to get into uniform. He hoped the Captain would need him soon, perhaps for an away mission, and he hurried to get ready for when that call inevitably came.
Gideon is in the medical bay, attending to the day-to-day responsibilities of a Chief Medical Officer.
Lt. McLennan and Dr. Sinclair, hearing the summons of the Excalibur's chief science officer to the bridge, know something more interesting than cataloguing space clouds must be afoot.
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
As the turbolift doors open onto the bridge for Chief Science Officer Ta'kar, the entire bridge is suddenly suffused with a dull red glow as a strange energy pulse from the planet strikes Excalibur. Sparks crackle and fly loose at the science station and Lt. Therenim lets out an anguished moan and falls to the floor with a thud. His hands, operating the science station console a moment ago, seem to be smoldering. Just as suddenly as it began, the red glow dies and bridge lighting returns to normal. However, the ship's computer has begun noticeably emitting far more clicking and bleeping than the usual background noise the bridge crew has learned to tune out.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
Ta'kar quickly makes his way to the science station, glancing down at the wounded officer for a second to see if Therenim is alive.

OOC: If Therenim is in distress, and no one is attending to him, Ta'kar will stop to give aid. If, however, he is stable, or being tended to, he will continue to the science station and try and figure out what is happening to the computer.
Has anyone else been injured, or affected by the red glow?
 

Supervisor194

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
407
Reaction score
622
"Sickbay, to the bridge!" calls out Captain Conway. Seeing Ta'kar he adds, "Mr. Ta'kar, report! What the devil was that?"
Conway moves to aid Therenim as best as he can until someone from Medical arrives.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
"Unknown Captain. It would appear to be some type of energy surge, which caused a feedback injuring Mr Therenim. I will require a moment to give you a more precise explanation" Ta'kar states as he goes to his post.

OOC: What does he see when he arrives at the science station?
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Ta'kar quickly makes his way to the science station, glancing down at the wounded officer for a second to see if Therenim is alive.

OOC: If Therenim is in distress, and no one is attending to him, Ta'kar will stop to give aid. If, however, he is stable, or being tended to, he will continue to the science station and try and figure out what is happening to the computer.
"Sickbay, to the bridge!" calls out Captain Conway.

Conway moves to aid Therenim as best as he can until someone from Medical arrives.
Mr. Therenim is alive but appears to have sustained bad burns to both hands. His injuries are non-life-threatening assuming he receives medical treatment readily available at sickbay. There's nothing Ta'kar or Conway can do for him without the appropriate medical equipment.

I'll let Gringnr Gringnr respond, but the presumption is that Dr. Sinclair will report to the bridge with a medical team.
Has anyone else been injured, or affected by the red glow?
No one else appears to have been affected by the red light: it looks to have been aimed directly for the science station computer.
Seeing Ta'kar he adds, "Mr. Ta'kar, report! What the devil was that?"
"Unknown Captain. It would appear to be some type of energy surge, which caused a feedback injuring Mr Therenim. I will require a moment to give you a more precise explanation" Ta'kar states as he goes to his post.

OOC: What does he see when he arrives at the science station?
The console has been blown and controls are fused, meaning you cannot operate it from this station; however, the actual computer and other equipment appear to be undamaged. In fact, it appears the computer is running at double-speed as if someone were remotely sifting through the library. The most logical conclusion to you is that someone or something planetside sent some type of energy probe directly to the science station computer, perhaps in response to the Excalibur's scans of the planet.

To repair the console will take a competent computer specialist approximately half an hour. The time can be cut in half if that person gets assistance from an engineer.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
"Captain, we are are being probed from that planet. It would seem that they did not like being scanned. I will endeavour to terminate the intrusion. "

OOC: Ta'kar will go to another station on the bridge and use his computer knowledge to try and create some type of 'firewall' to keep it from reaching any further into the ship's memory banks. Do I need to make a roll?
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,836
Reaction score
4,698
Dr. Sinclair touches a communicator panel, saying "Aye, Captain". He nods to his assistant, in a wordless communication understood by both of them: You have the 'Bay.

Gideon then hurries to the bridge, with a mixture of excitement and apprehension. The Captain's tone was clear enough. Something serious had happened.
 
Last edited:

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
"Captain, we are are being probed from that planet. It would seem that they did not like being scanned. I will endeavour to terminate the intrusion. "

OOC: Ta'kar will go to another station on the bridge and use his computer knowledge to try and create some type of 'firewall' to keep it from reaching any further into the ship's memory banks. Do I need to make a roll?
No, your Computer Technology rating is high enough that it's a piece of cake to cordon off the intrusion. The probe has sampled mainly your library data regarding various species comprising and known to the Federation.
Dr. Sinclair touches his communicator, saying "Aye, Captain". He nods to his assistant, in a wordless communication understood by both of them: You have the 'Bay.
Head Nurse Newton nods her understanding and replies, "I'll takes notes if any of the spores or fungi react to external stimuli." It's been quiet in Sickbay for the past few weeks, with only a few bruises and bumps from recreational activities.
Gideon then hurries to the bridge, with a mixture of excitement and apprehension. The Captain's tone was clear enough. Something serious had happened.
When Dr. Sinclair arrives on the bridge, he immediately hears the low moaning of the usually stoic science officer Therenim and sees the Andorian's seared hands, normally a light blue, that have turned almost purple from the burns. They're still smoldering, but fortunately your medical tricorder diagnoses the injury as merely third-degree burns, nothing you can't easily alleviate--first here with a topical antibacterial analgesic spray from your medical kit and then with a synthetic skin appliqué in Sickbay.
 
Last edited:

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
"Captain. I have contained the alien intrusion. They seem to be primarily concerned with acquiring knowledge on the various races within the Federation. They have not entered, or compromised, any secure areas."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
After a few moments, Lt. Chopra turns a dial on the communications console and advises, "Captain, we have received a voice-only message: 'Compatible lifeforms, you are welcomed.' Shall I play it back for you on the audio relay system?"
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,836
Reaction score
4,698
No, your Computer Technology rating is high enough that it's a piece of cake to cordon off the intrusion. The probe has sampled mainly your library data regarding various species comprising and known to the Federation.

Head Nurse Newton nods her understanding and replies, "I'll takes notes if any of the spores or fungi react to external stimuli." It's been quiet in Sickbay for the past few weeks, with only a few bruises and bumps from recreational activities.

When Dr. Sinclair arrives on the bridge, he immediately hears the low moaning of the usually stoic science officer Themerin and sees the Andorian's seared hands, normally a light blue, that have turned almost purple from the burns. They're still smoldering, but fortunately your medical tricorder diagnoses the injury as merely third-degree burns, nothing you can't easily alleviate--first here with a topical antibacterial analgesic spray from your medical kit and then with a synthetic skin appliqué in Sickbay.

"What happened in here?" Gideon asks, looking around for the source of the injury. Returning his attention to Themerin, he sprays a topical painkiller on the Science Officer's hands. "You won't feel a thing until after I've fixed your manicure", he smiles. "Now can someone please tell me what the Hell is going on?
 

Supervisor194

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
407
Reaction score
622
"Captain. I have contained the alien intrusion. They seem to be primarily concerned with acquiring knowledge on the various races within the Federation. They have not entered, or compromised, any secure areas."

Good work, Ta'kar. Do what you can to keep them out of our systems.

After a few moments, Lt. Chopra turns a dial on the communications console and advises, "Captain, we have received a voice-only message: 'Compatible lifeforms, you are welcomed.' Shall I play it back for you on the audio relay system?"

Audio on, Lieutenant.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
"They have been contained. However, the Science Station has been severely damaged. I estimate 30 minutes to repair it."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
"They have been contained. However, the Science Station has been severely damaged. I estimate 30 minutes to repair it."
Don't forget Stan Stan's chief engineer/X.O. Commander Travis is on the bridge as well.
Audio on, Lieutenant.
Lt. Chopra touches a button and the bridge is filled with a loud, piercing, metallic staccato voice reminiscent of metal scraping against metal: "COM-PAT-I-BLE-LIFE-FORMS-YOU-ARE-WEL-COMED." Nothing more is said. To your ears it sounds more mechanical than organic, but it's a large--and largely unexplored--galaxy.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
"With Commander Travis' aidbI should be able to effect repairs more efficiently, and possibly quicker."
 

Supervisor194

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
407
Reaction score
622
Lt. Chopra touches a button and the bridge is filled with a loud, piercing, metallic staccato voice reminiscent of metal scraping against metal: "COM-PAT-I-BLE-LIFE-FORMS-YOU-ARE-WEL-COMED." Nothing more is said. To your ears it sounds more mechanical than organic, but it's a large--and largely unexplored--galaxy.

"Lieutenant, open hailing frequencies."
After acknowledgement from Chopra, "This is Captain Daniel Conway of the starship Excalibur, representing the United Federation of Planets. We have received your message. We are on a peaceful mission of exploration. We mean no harm to you."

While speaking, Conway waved a hand at Commander Travis indicating that he should assist Mr. Ta'kar.
 

Shemek hiTankolel

Tsolyani Refugee
Joined
Jun 23, 2018
Messages
808
Reaction score
821
Ta'kar will consult with Commander Travis, and as soon as they determine what needs to be done, he will summon a Damage Control Team to the Bridge with the required parts.
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,836
Reaction score
4,698
Gideon addresses Captain Conway. "With your leave, Captain, I'd like to take Therenim to Sick Bay, and see to his hands personally. Unless, of course you need me for anything else."
 

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
15,064
Reaction score
30,600
Ta'kar will consult with Commander Travis, and as soon as they determine what needs to be done, he will summon a Damage Control Team to the Bridge with the required parts.
"Lieutenant, open hailing frequencies."
After acknowledgement from Chopra, "This is Captain Daniel Conway of the starship Excalibur, representing the United Federation of Planets. We have received your message. We are on a peaceful mission of exploration. We mean no harm to you."

While speaking, Conway waved a hand at Commander Travis indicating that he should assist Mr. Ta'kar.
I want to give Stan Stan a chance to respond here. He may not be aware we've moved forward.

Lt. Chopra transmits your message across the vacuum of space, then frowns slightly as she says, "No response, Captain. There is nothing jamming the frequency. It's as if we're being ignored."
Gideon addresses Captain Conway. "With your leave, Captain, I'd like to take Therenim to Sick Bay, and see to his hands personally. Unless, of course you need me for anything else."
Just FYI, you have another doctor and some medics and nurses in Sickbay, so you don't necessarily have to personally attend to Therenim.
 

Gringnr

Part-Time Booty Goon
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,836
Reaction score
4,698
I want to give Stan Stan a chance to respond here. He may not be aware we've moved forward.

Lt. Chopra transmits your message across the vacuum of space, then frowns slightly as she says, "No response, Captain. There is nothing jamming the frequency. It's as if we're being ignored."

Just FYI, you have another doctor and some medics and nurses in Sickbay, so you don't necessarily have to personally attend to Therenim.

OOC I figured as much, but I wanted to show Sinclair's personal connection to the party members, while also leaving an "out" in case the story would be better served by his remaining on the Bridge.
 
Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Top