Starship Excalibur

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
ooc: sorry, I need to put a watch on the thread.

"Travis jump sin to help Ta'Kar. "Looks an a simple overload, I hope. But if they can cook components at that distance, just imagine what they could do us if we go down there and they decide they don't like us."

ooc: sorry, I need to put a watch on the thread.

"Travis jump sin to help Ta'Kar. "Looks an a simple overload, I hope. But if they can cook components at that distance, just imagine what they could do us if we go down there and they decide they don't like us."

"Perhaps it would be prudent to acquire more data before we initiate contact. Once the repairs have been completed I shall do a thorough sensor sweep."

"Mr. Travis, how long before we have sensors online again? We may be welcomed as compatible lifeforms but I'd like to have some idea of what we are getting ourselves into."

"Sir, 10 minutes if we are lucky, 20 minutes if not. I estimate 15 minutes with median luck."

Gideon addresses Captain Conway. "With your leave, Captain, I'd like to take Therenim to Sick Bay, and see to his hands personally. Unless, of course you need me for anything else."
Unless Captain Conway orders otherwise, we can assume Dr. Sinclair takes Lt. Therenim to Sickbay and administers the synthetic skin applause without issue. Your skills are such that there's no need to roll for a routine treatment. Lt. Theremin should, however, spend the rest of the day in Sickbay where he can be monitored, just as a precaution. Fortunately you have a nurse who minored in Andorian physiology at Star Fleet Academy.
"Perhaps it would be prudent to acquire more data before we initiate contact. Once the repairs have been completed I shall do a thorough sensor sweep."
"Mr. Travis, how long before we have sensors online again? We may be welcomed as compatible lifeforms but I'd like to have some idea of what we are getting ourselves into."
"Sir, 10 minutes if we are lucky, 20 minutes if not. I estimate 15 minutes with median luck."
Unless there is something you wanted to do in the meantime, we can move the clock forward 15 minutes and consider that the combined efforts of Chief Science Officer Ta'kar and Chief Engineer Travis render the science station console repaired and the Excalibur's sensors fully operational. Either way Lt. Chopra reports that there is no further response from the planet. If you want to skip ahead, I'll update with the sensor readings.

Toric Toric, as Security Chief your character can report to the bridge anytime you're ready if you want to participate in what's going on.

Last edited:
Sorry for my absence. I'll catch up and drop a post later this evening or tomorrow at the latest.

As the two men leave the bridge, Dr. Sinclair says, "Perhaps, if you feel up to it, Thenerim, you can tell me what's going on. I gather it's more than a technical malfunction that's got everyone on edge."

As the two men leave the bridge, Dr. Sinclair says, "Perhaps, if you feel up to it, Thenerim, you can tell me what's going on. I gather it's more than a technical malfunction that's got everyone on edge."
As the turbolift descends to Sickbay, Therenim replies, "My impression, Doctor, is that our initial scan of Sylva IV activated an automated in-kind response. I would hypothesize that the response was done by means of an energy type not fully compatible with our own, thereby shorting the console at my station. I expect Commander Ta'kar will learn more soon."

He seems to have recovered from his shock and is acting his usual stoic self, no doubt aided by the analgesic you applied.

As the turbolift descends to Sickbay, Therenim replies, "My impression, Doctor, is that our initial scan of Sylva IV activated an automated in-kind response. I would hypothesize that the response was done by means of an energy type not fully compatible with our own, thereby shorting the console at my station. I expect Commander Ta'kar will learn more soon."

He seems to have recovered from his shock and is acting his usual stoic self, no doubt aided by the analgesic you applied.

"Interesting. I'm glad you weren't seriously injured. However with your permission, I'd like to run a full battery of tests while we see to your hands. Just to make sure there are no effects that we're not seeing. Besides," he cocks an eyebrow in Thenerim's direction, "it'll give you an excuse to chat with Nurse Timmons. You are aware that she minored in Andorian physiology, yes? Well, I get the feeling she'd like to major in yours. Just between us." He resists the urge to elbow the Amdorian playfully.

"Interesting. I'm glad you weren't seriously injured. However with your permission, I'd like to run a full battery of tests while we see to your hands. Just to make sure there are no effects that we're not seeing. Besides," he cocks an eyebrow in Thenerim's direction, "it'll give you an excuse to chat with Nurse Timmons. You are aware that she minored in Andorian physiology, yes? Well, I get the feeling she'd like to major in yours. Just between us." He resists the urge to elbow the Amdorian playfully.
"Really, Dr. Sinclair, your ribald sense of humor is liable to start scandalous shipboard rumors," responds Therenim in a haughty tone. He then winks and adds, "Besides, human females are far too warm-blooded. I fear I would melt." The turbolift doors then open into the corridor where Sickbay is located.

OOC: I'm good with moving forward to get the sensor readings.
A thorough scan takes four hours upon entry into standard orbit of Sylva IV.
Salient points from your sensor readings:
  • Sylva IV is a Class M world in fourth position from its sun
  • It has one moon
  • Gravity is approximately 0.8 that of Earth
  • Planetary diameter is 10,400 km
  • Equatorial circumference is 32,000 km
  • Total surface area is 408,000,000 km²
  • Surface is 55% land/45% water
  • Total land area is 224,400,000 km²
  • Length of day is 29 hours
  • Terrestrial atmosphere
  • General climate is warm temperate
  • Low concentration of normal metals and useful radioactives
  • Unusually high concentration of dilithium*
  • Relatively low life readings for a Class M world
  • Residual but safe levels of Berthold radiation, which may partially explain the prior data point
  • Multiple empty cities on the surface
  • One land mass contains a vast scrapyard comprising numerous small space vessels of various manufacture, both known and unknown
  • The unusual energy readings previously reported by Lt. Therenim appear isolated to the largest land mass, emanating from an empty city
* The Federation in general and Star Fleet in particular will be especially interested in the possibility of obtaining a trade agreement or mining rights vis-à-vis the dilithium.

Last edited:
OOC: I'll write up Ta'kar's report to Conway this afternoon when I get home from work.

"Captain, scans show that Sylva IV is a Class M planet, fourth in orbit from its sun. Gravity is 0.8 of Earth's, and has a similar atmosphere. Climate is generally warm temperate. It has low concentrations of useful metals and radioactives. However scanners indicate that there are unsually large deposits of dilithium crystals. It is sparsely populated for a Class M planet, and there are multiple empty cities on the surface. One land mass seems to be some type of, I believe the correct term would be 'scrap yard,' that contains numerous small space vessels of various manufacture, both known and unknown. The unusual energy readings noted by Lt. Therenim are originating from an empty city located on the largest land mass. I advise caution if we beam down a lanfing party."

"Really, Dr. Sinclair, your ribald sense of humor is liable to start scandalous shipboard rumors," responds Therenim in a haughty tone. He then winks and adds, "Besides, human females are far too warm-blooded. I fear I would melt." The turbolift doors then open into the corridor where Sickbay is located.

Upon entering sick bay, Gideon sees Timmons, and notes the look of concern on her face at the sight of Thenerim's injured hands. "Just some burns, nurse Timmons, well within your capabilities. We believe it was a power surge, or short of some kind. But, let's run a full array of diagnostic tests, just to be sure?" He pats Thenerim on the shoulder and motions for the Andorian to have a seat on one of the examination tables. "Nurse Timmons will take good care of your hands. And give you instructions for your recuperation. Which. You. Are. To. Follow." He points a Stern finger at the blue-skinned officer. Turning to Timmons, he says, "After we apply the skin grafts, we need to perform scans for radiation, brain activity, and metabolic function as well as cellular diagnostic imaging. And I need it all in a hurry. Understood, Timmons?" He asks.

Last edited:
Donal enters the bridge, the lift door hissing shut behind him. He moves to stand before Captain Conway. "Reporting for duty, Captain. One of my officers brought me up to speed before I came up here. Shall I organize a security detail for a landing party, sir?"

"Mr. McLennan, perfect timing. Mr. Ta'Kar was just advising caution and you and your team can help with that."
Captain Conway turns to his Chief Science Officer. "Mr. Ta'Kar, you're with us. Lt. Chopra, have Dr. Sinclair meet us in the Transporter Room, we're beaming down to investigate those energy readings."
As he moves toward the turbolift he says to Travis, "Commander Travis, you have the conn."

Ta'kar motions a junior officer to take over the Science Station, and follows Captain Conway into the Turbo Lift.

"Lt. Weathers and Ensign Groth, report the the Transporter Room on the double for landing party duty," McLennan says as he follows the Captain out of the bridge.

Donal enters the bridge, the lift door hissing shut behind him. He moves to stand before Captain Conway. "Reporting for duty, Captain. One of my officers brought me up to speed before I came up here. Shall I organize a security detail for a landing party, sir?"
"Mr. McLennan, perfect timing. Mr. Ta'Kar was just advising caution and you and your team can help with that."
Captain Conway turns to his Chief Science Officer. "Mr. Ta'Kar, you're with us. Lt. Chopra, have Dr. Sinclair meet us in the Transporter Room, we're beaming down to investigate those energy readings."
As he moves toward the turbolift he says to Travis, "Commander Travis, you have the conn."
Upon entering sick bay, Gideon sees Timmons, and notes the look of concern on her face at the sight of Thenerim's injured hands. "Just some burns, nurse Timmons, well within your capabilities. We believe it was a power surge, or short of some kind. But, let's run a full array of diagnostic tests, just to be sure?" He pats Thenerim on the shoulder and motions for the Andorian to have a seat on one of the examination tables. "Nurse Timmons will take good care of your hands. And give you instructions for your recuperation. Which. You. Are. To. Follow." He points a Stern finger at the blue-skinned officer. Turning to Timmons, he says, "After we apply the skin grafts, we need to perform scans for radiation, brain activity, and metabolic function as well as cellular diagnostic imaging. And I need it all in a hurry. Understood, Timmons?" He asks.
Sickbay echoes with the familiar call of the body's whistle followed by Chief Communications Officer Chopra's voice over the tannoy: "Dr. Sinclair, report to the Transporter Room."

"Duty calls, Doctor," replies Nurse Timmons. She then turns to Lt. Therenim and says, "Start undressing, mister."

"Doctor, you're not really going to leave me alone with her, are you?" says the Andorian as his antennae wriggle upward. You're not quite sure whether his protest is feigned or sincere .
Ta'kar motions a junior officer to take over the Science Station, and follows Captain Conway into the Turbo Lift.
Ensign Chen takes Ta'kar's place at the science station before the turbolift doors close with a pneumatic hiss.
"Lt. Weathers and Ensign Groth, report the the Transporter Room on the double for landing party duty," McLennan says as he follows the Captain out of the bridge.
"Weathers here," responds a basso profundo voice. "Aye, aye, Chief. I'll collect Groth en route. He's in the rec room refereeing a karate match between a couple of ensigns with steam to let off."

We can pick up in the Transporter Room with your instructions to Transporter Chief Weaver regarding where to beam you down.

Also, Stan Stan, let us know if you want to beam down as well or take the conn. We can always fob off the conn onto the helmsman or someone if you prefer to visit the planet. I promise there will be something to do if you want to stay aboard the ship, though. :devil:

Last edited:
Sickbay echoes with the familiar call of the body's whistle followed by Chief Communications Officer Chopra's voice over the tannoy: "Dr. Sinclair, report to the Transporter Room."

"Duty calls, Doctor," replies Nurse Timmons. She then turns to Lt. Therenim and says, "Start undressing, mister."

"Doctor, you're not really going to leave me alone with her, are you?" says the Andorian as his antennae wriggle upward. You're not quite sure whether his protest is feigned or sincere .

Ensign Chen takes Ta'kar's place at the science station before the turbolift doors close with a pneumatic hiss.

"Weathers here," responds a basso profundo voice. "Aye, aye, Chief. I'll collect Groth en route. He's in the rec room refereeing a karate match between a couple of ensigns with steam to let off."

We can pick up in the Transporter Room with your instructions to Transporter Chief Weaver regarding where to beam you down.

Also, Stan Stan, let us know if you want to beam down as well or take the conn. We can always fob off the conn onto the helmsman or someone if you prefer to visit the planet. I promise there will be something to do if you want to stay aboard the ship, though. :devil:

"You're in good hands, Thenerim." replies Sinclair, with a reassuring Pat on the shoulder. He touches a nearby comms panel, "Aye, Sinclair en route." Gideon then goes to a locker, and retrieves his away team kit (ooc, not sure what all would be in this, but whatever it is, let's assume Gideon takes it). He then turns to Timmons and, holding his communicator up to shoulder height, says, "I want those test results right away, Timmons. Thank you", before hastily departing for the Transporter Room.

OOC: I'm good with whatever Stan would like to do.
Once all of the landing party is in the Transporter Room:

As the landing party assembles on the Transporter pads, Conway says to Lt. Weaver, "Mr. Weaver, set us down in the best out of sight place you can closest to those energy readings. Mr. Ta'Kar will give you the coordinates."

OOC: I'm assuming everyone is equipped with the necessary equipment (ie, communicators, phasers, tricorders, medkits)

(I've deliberately left it vague for now as to whether Commander Travis is with the landing party as we haven't heard from Stan Stan.)

The landing party rematerializes at the center of a circular open space amidst an expanse of concrete, metal, and glass. Tall spires and towers rise high above you. You seem to stand within the remnants of a once-great metropolis. All around you are signs of decay: crumbled concrete, broken windows, weeds shooting through the ground, and trees growing through buildings; all indications are that nature is reasserting itself with a vengeance. In the far distance, in every direction beyond the city, you see rocky green hillsides and an abundance of flora in varying hues of red, orange, and yellow. All around you is silence--the only sound being Lt. Commander Ta'kar's tricorder as it takes readings of your surroundings.

Ta'kar's tricorder indicates that the energy source is approximately 100 meters to your north. At that location you can see a large round building topped with a bronze-colored dome. There is an obvious point of entry facing you at the front of the building: a large archway with glass doors. This particular building seems to have suffered less than those around it the ravages of nature's reclamation project.

Conway looks around and his gaze settles on the building with the large dome.
"Any lifeform readings, Mr. Ta'kar?"

ooc: sorry, ironically, work has been super busy. I'll take the conn. I'll catch up soon.
Ensign Chen reports from the science station, "Commander Travis, our sensors are having difficulty tracking the landing party. There's some sort of electromagnetic interference. "
Conway looks around and his gaze settles on the building with the large dome.
"Any lifeform readings, Mr. Ta'kar?"
There are no lifeform readings in the immediate vicinity. However, the domed building is constructed of an unknown material that blocks your tricorder from penetrating its interior.

However, if you want to spend approximately 10 minutes fine-tuning the tricorder and making modifications to make a second attempt, you can make a roll vs. your Small Equipment Systems Technology skill (0) averaged with your Intelligence attribute (90). The average is 45: if you roll 45 or less on % dice, there is a chance you may obtain more information due to successful recalibration of the tricorder and successful interpretation of new data. The lower the roll, the better the results will be. (Too bad Commander Travis didn't beam down with his Small Equipment Systems Technology rating of 29. :hmmm:)

"Captain, there are no life forms registering in the immediate vicinity. That domed building is intriguing. It is blocking my tricorder. I believe that I can overcome the resistance, however, it will take time. I estimate 10 minutes."

"Security team, spread out but not too far. We'll make our way to that structure. Keep scanning, Mr. Ta'kar." Captain Conway beings walking toward the domed building.
"I wonder what happened here?"

"Not enough data Captain. Speculation without facts is most illogical. I will endeavour to break through the interference."

OOC: Ta'kar rolls a 65.

"Officer Chopra, contact the away team to make sure the interference doesn't make that impossible. Let them know that we will have trouble tracking them due to the electromagnetic interference. Ensign Chen do your best to keep an eye on them. Let me know if you need help."

"Captain, there are no life forms registering in the immediate vicinity. That domed building is intriguing. It is blocking my tricorder. I believe that I can overcome the resistance, however, it will take time. I estimate 10 minutes."
"Security team, spread out but not too far. We'll make our way to that structure. Keep scanning, Mr. Ta'kar." Captain Conway beings walking toward the domed building.
"I wonder what happened here?"
"Not enough data Captain. Speculation without facts is most illogical. I will endeavour to break through the interference."

OOC: Ta'kar rolls a 65.
Unfortunately whatever material was used in the construction of the domed building is beyond your ability to compensate with changed triorder settings. Looks like the only way to find out what's inside would be to enter it.
I want to let Gringnr Gringnr and Toric Toric have a chance to catch up before I update anything else on the planet, but feel free to designate anything in particular your characters want to do, say, or look for, etc.

"Officer Chopra, contact the away team to make sure the interference doesn't make that impossible. Let them know that we will have trouble tracking them due to the electromagnetic interference. Ensign Chen do your best to keep an eye on them. Let me know if you need help."
Lt. Chopra responds, "I'm sorry, Commander, but there's something obstructing the frequency. I can't get through to any of the landing party."

Ensign Chen adds, "Aye, Commander, I'll do my best. Maybe it's something localized and will pass."

After a beat, your stocky blond helmsman Lt. Vonnegut looks up from his console scope and passes a sidelong glance with raised eyebrows Ensign Ploog in the navigator's seat as if to say "Are you ready for trouble?"
Constitution_helm_console_with_viewer.jpg
Lt. Vonnegut half turns back to the captain's chair and says, "Commander Travis, I'm picking up a ship coming around from the far side of Sylva IV. Looks to be in orbit."

Lt. McLennan takes point at the Captain's order to spread out, while motioning Weathers and Groth to take the left and right flanks respectively. He has his phaser in his hand, ready for anything, as his eyes scan left and right looking for any signs of potential trouble.

"Interesting. Captain, I am unable to penetrate the exterior surface material of the building. We will need to enter if we are to determine its contents. I advise caution."

Dr. Sinclair begins using whatever portable equipment he may have to run basic tests for toxins or harmful compounds in the atmosphere or environment, while trying to stay alert. Sinclair has been in Starfleet for decades, but isn't exactly "brave". He can be counted on to do what needs to be done, but dammit, he's a doctor, not a hero.

Commander Travis grits his teeth looking at the ship.

Fire a spread of proton torpedoes into the atmosphere to clear up interference and show the other ship who is boss. That's what they do in the old serials. But that would just cook the away team and possibly start a war. He'd have to be extra careful.

Commander Travis opens a channel to the transporter room. "Lt. Weaver, this is Commander Travis. Grab the nearest ensign you have and beam them down to the captain's location. Tell the ensign to report two things to the captain. First, interference is preventing tracking and communication between the ship and the landing party. Second, there is an unknown ship in orbit which might cause us to do more than sit here tuning the signals. They might be on their own for a while. And beam them down quick as we don't know this new ship's intentions."

With the captain at least informed of the basics, Travis turns to the situation at hand. "Lt. Vonnegut, do a full scan of the opposing ship to identify its design and origin. Officer Chopra, do a scan of all frequencies to detect any communication coming from that ship. But we don't say 'Hey' to 'em until we scan 'em. No need to alert them if they aren't the social type."

Last edited:
Lt. McLennan takes point at the Captain's order to spread out, while motioning Weathers and Groth to take the left and right flanks respectively. He has his phaser in his hand, ready for anything, as his eyes scan left and right looking for any signs of potential trouble.
Weathers and Groth follow your lead and fan out, phasers in hand. The only living things you see apart from the land party is the flora sprouting through cracks in the pavement and holes in the walls.
"Interesting. Captain, I am unable to penetrate the exterior surface material of the building. We will need to enter if we are to determine its contents. I advise caution."
Dr. Sinclair begins using whatever portable equipment he may have to run basic tests for toxins or harmful compounds in the atmosphere or environment, while trying to stay alert. Sinclair has been in Starfleet for decades, but isn't exactly "brave". He can be counted on to do what needs to be done, but dammit, he's a doctor, not a hero.
The atmosphere is similar to that of Earth. There is still residual Berthold radiation indicating a heavy bombardment of unknown source in the recent past--no more than 100 years ago. As you know, Berthold days are a deadly form of radiation that causes disintegration of carbon-based animal tissue, including humanoid flesh.This would likely account for the abandonment of cities in the surface of Sylva IV, though the current levels of radiation are no longer deadly. Based on your medical tricorder's readings, you believe it's safe to stay exposed for up to 24 hours before anyone would suffer any ill effects.
As the landing party approaches the bronze-domed building, a chill gust blows from the west across the cement ground of the clearing. The entrance to the building in an archway with a pair of glass doors. The archway itself is about 6 meters at its apex; the doors, based simply on their dimensions, appear to have been made for the use of humanoids; the glass is tinted to the point of being opaque. There is no obvious locking mechanism, keypad, or control panel, but there is a curved bronze handle built into each door.

Commander Travis grits his teeth looking at the ship.

Fire a spread of proton torpedoes into the atmosphere to clear up interference and show the other ship who is boss. That's what they do in the old serials. But that would just cook the away team and possibly start a war. He'd have to be extra careful.

Commander Travis opens a channel to the transporter room. "Lt. Weaver, this is Commander Travis. Grab the nearest ensign you have and beam them down to the captain's location. Tell the ensign to report two things to the captain. First, interference is preventing tracking and communication between the ship and the landing party. Second, there is an unknown ship in orbit which might cause us to do more than sit here tuning the signals. They might be on their own for a while. And beam them down quick as we don't know this new ship's intentions."I
"This is Transporter Chief Weaver. Acknowledged." After a brief pause, she resumes, "I have Ensign Wong en route to beam down as instructed."
With the captain at least informed of the basics, Travis turns to the situation at hand. "Lt. Vonnegut, do a full scan of the opposing ship to identify its design and origin. Officer Chopra, do a scan of all frequencies to detect any communication coming from that ship. But we don't say 'Hey' to 'em until we scan 'em. No need to alert them if they aren't the social type."
"Aye aye, sir," replies Lt. Vonnegut.

"Scanning all frequencies," responds Lt. Chopra. "So far nothing."

Ensign Chen is at the science station with the sensors so we'll assume he's also lending a hand.

"Commander, the ship is...." Ensign Chen's eyes go wide with concern and he continues, "Commander, it's a Klingon vessel. It's a...D-7 battlecruiser."
9e5760c1a565b79fd6bc1358196d9b30.jpg
"Commander," says Lt. Chopra, "the Klingon ship is hailing us."

Last edited:
Weathers and Groth follow your lead and fan out, phasers in hand. The only living things you see apart from the land party is the flora sprouting through cracks in the pavement and holes in the walls.

The atmosphere is similar to that of Earth. There is still residual Berthold radiation indicating a heavy bombardment of unknown source in the recent past--no more than 100 years ago. As you know, Berthold days are a deadly form of radiation that causes disintegration of carbon-based animal tissue, including humanoid flesh.This would likely account for the abandonment of cities in the surface of Sylva IV, though the current levels of radiation are no longer deadly. Based on your medical tricorder's readings, you believe it's safe to stay exposed for up to 24 hours before anyone would suffer any ill effects.
As the landing party approaches the bronze-domed building, a chill gust blows from the west across the cement ground of the clearing. The entrance to the building in an archway with a pair of glass doors. The archway itself is about 6 meters at its apex; the doors, based simply on their dimensions, appear to have been made for the use of humanoids; the glass is tinted to the point of being opaque. There is no obvious locking mechanism, keypad, or control panel, but there is a curved bronze handle built into each door.

Ta'kar will scan the door to see if there are any hidden control mechanisms, or powered mechanical actuators. He will also see if scanning through the glass will be more successful in determining the contents of the structure.

Sinclair turns to address Conway, in a voice loud enough to be heard by the entire Team. "Captain, I'm picking up residual Berthold radiation, probably from a decades-past event. Without protective equipment, I recommend not staying any longer than possible. The danger isn't immediate, but the less time we spend exposed, the better. Any longer than 24 hours, and we're likely to suffer from exposure to the radiation."

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back