Starship Excalibur

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Once the beans are spilled about the Klingons already being down below the structure, McLennan moves away from the door and back to stand beside the Captain. He was curious if Yunas was going to take offense at the Starfleet crew not wanting to join the Klingons.

In light of this revelation, Sinclair has begun to rethink his recent, "The Devil you know..." position, and nearly chuckles at himself. Realizing how inappropriate to the situation this would be, he raises a fist to his mouth in an attempt to disguise his self-deprecating chortle as a cough.

Last edited:
"Ensign Ploog, lower shields. Lt. Chopra advise the shuttle to launch."

(once the shuttle is away)
"Well done everyone, Ensign Ploog, raise shields. Lt. Vonnegut, I will note in the log your skill with getting some place and looking like you're not going anywhere. Edge us back in sight of the Klingon ship, if you please. Now we and the Klingons stare awkwardly at each other until something happens on the surface."
The main viewscreen shows the shuttlecraft Galahad get smaller and smaller as it descends from orbit and enters the atmopshere of Sylva IV. Meanwhile, Ensign Ploog reports that shields are back up but Lt. Vonnegut observes that you've lost sight of the Klingon vessel.

Ensign Chen at the science station reports, "Commander, sensors aren't picking up anything--could they be cloaked? I've heard the Klingons recently acquired that rechnology from the Romulans."*

* https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Time_Trap_(episode)

"No, Yunas, I think we are okay for now. In fact, we would prefer that the Klingons not be made aware of our presence just yet. They are not...friendly towards our people."
Once the beans are spilled about the Klingons already being down below the structure, McLennan moves away from the door and back to stand beside the Captain. He was curious if Yunas was going to take offense at the Starfleet crew not wanting to join the Klingons.
"Come now, Captain," says Yunas in a kindly manner, "you are all our guests. There is no reason you cannot put aside any past grievances and make amends. I assure you the Klingons are no threat to you while they are here."
As the figures in the distance come closer, you realize it is a landing party of three Klingons. They trudge directly toward the domed structure which your group is inside. Their disruptor pistols are drawn and at the ready, though not aimed anywhere in particular. They are about 50 meters away now.
In light of this revelation, Sinclair has begun to rethink his recent, "The Devil you know..." position, and nearly chuckles at himself. Realizing how inappropriate to the situation this would be, he raises a fist to his mouth in an attempt to disguise his self-deprecating chortle as a cough.
Finished with his fruitless efforts to find a problem with the robot, Seknod asks, "Yunas, have they no women? The Klingons at least brought a woman."

Let's give Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel a chance to respond before we get too far along.

Last edited:
Ta'kar places the Tricorder by his hip and walks closer towards Captain Sinclair. "Captain, if I may? Yunas, your Robot is functioning correctly. We chose not to enter the elevator until we had ascertained the risks. A question. How many Klingons are there in the lower levels?"
OOC: while Ta'kar is speaking to Yunas, he is trying to "probe" with his mind to see if he can detect any type of psychic activity emanating from him.

Ensign Chen at the science station reports, "Commander, sensors aren't picking up anything--could they be cloaked? I've heard the Klingons recently acquired that rechnology from the Romulans."

Travis shakes his head. "It just keeps getting more complicated. Keep shields up and stay alert, we don't want to get caught with our pants down. It's time for a game, record all sensor readings in the area. Even if we can't spot the ship, we might pick up something that can be combined with readings of other cloaked ships to figure out a pattern. And who knows, maybe we'll get lucky as the cloaks were made for Romulan ships and the retrofit may not work perfectly."

McLennan moves closer to Yunas, eager to hear the answer to Ta'kar's query about the number of Klingons present below.

Ta'kar places the Tricorder by his hip and walks closer towards Captain Sinclair. "Captain, if I may? Yunas, your Robot is functioning correctly. We chose not to enter the elevator until we had ascertained the risks. A question. How many Klingons are there in the lower levels?"
McLennan moves closer to Yunas, eager to hear the answer to Ta'kar's query about the number of Klingons present below.
"There are three below," replies Yunas. "Would you like to meet them?"
OOC: while Ta'kar is speaking to Yunas, he is trying to "probe" with his mind to see if he can detect any type of psychic activity emanating from him.
Make a PSI % roll and I'll tell you the results. If you're curious how it works, the various modifiers are on page 36 of the Game Operations Manual, but of course you can't be sure which ones may apply.
Travis shakes his head. "It just keeps getting more complicated. Keep shields up and stay alert, we don't want to get caught with our pants down. It's time for a game, record all sensor readings in the area. Even if we can't spot the ship, we might pick up something that can be combined with readings of other cloaked ships to figure out a pattern. And who knows, maybe we'll get lucky as the cloaks were made for Romulan ships and the retrofit may not work perfectly."
"Aye, sir," responds Ensign Chen. "I'll monitor for any aberrations that might indicate the presence of another vessel."

"Aye, sir," responds Ensign Chen. "I'll monitor for any aberrations that might indicate the presence of another vessel."

Travis makes the best of the waiting game by making log entries on what has happened so far.

ooc: I don't expect to be able to find the Klingon ship - that's what cloaks do. I'll understand if this part of the story pauses.
ooc: Are subspace communications traceable? if the Excalibur sent messages back to starfleet would the Klingon ship know?

Travis makes the best of the waiting game by making log entries on what has happened so far.

ooc: I don't expect to be able to find the Klingon ship - that's what cloaks do. I'll understand if this part of the story pauses.
ooc: Are subspace communications traceable? if the Excalibur sent messages back to starfleet would the Klingon ship know?
If they are still in your immediate vicinity, they would likely detect a transmission being sent from your starship unless it was somehow disguised as a naturally occurring phenomenon, but they would not be able to understand what was sent or know to whom it was sent if it is encoded...unless Klingon codebreakers have managed to break the most recent Star Fleet codes, which seems unlikely.

"There are three below," replies Yunas. "Would you like to meet them?"

Make a PSI % roll and I'll tell you the results. If you're curious how it works, the various modifiers are on page 36 of the Game Operations Manual, but of course you can't be sure which ones may apply.
Ta'kar rolls an 88.

You're only mildly surprised to find you are unable to read any of the Sylvans as you had no logical basis to assume success, given that, although they are humanoid and identical to Terran humans in appearance, they possess an unidentified gland where a human would have an appendix, to say nothing of the unusual Theta and Alpha waves in their brains.
The door to the domed building pulls open and you see a group of three surly-looking Klingons. Their disruptor pistols are drawn and at the ready, though not aimed anywhere in particular. The lead figure is garbed in the uniform of a Klingon captain and remarks to the others loudly enough to make sure everyone inside hears his words "Put away your weapons, men. We won't need them to deal with the local pacifists"--he spits the word with disdain, as if it left a bad taste in his mouth--"and these Federation weaklings."

Imagine this music playing when the Klingons enter:

Let's give Toric Toric, Supervisor194 Supervisor194, and Gringnr Gringnr a chance to catch up and post before we continue.

At the sight of the Klingons, Sinclair reflexively draws his phaser.

At the sight of the Klingons, McLennan instinctively moves towards them, putting himself between them and the rest of the landing party. His hand hovers near his phaser but as the Klingons put away their disruptor pistols, he refrains from drawing his own weapon. He tenses, waiting for the surprise attack that he almost expects to happen at any moment.

"I'd be happy to allow you to test your weaklings theory," he says quietly, but loud enough for the Klingons to hear.

Sinclair, phaser drawn but not pointed, looks to Conway for direction, while glancing frequently at the Kilingons...

"Easy, Lieutenant," Conway says to McLennan. Eyes still on the Klingons he sarcastically adds, "I'm sure they're just here for their midday meal with their friends."

Travis decides it's better safe than sorry and and that he should tell the higher ups in case of disaster. Travis directs the communications officer to send a coded message back to Starfleet. The note describes the alien message, the fried computer, the coordinates, the presence of the D7 and Klingons on the planet, and the fact that the ship seems to have a cloak. The message ends with a note that a fake note will be following in 5 minutes.

The second note is in an older code believed to be cracked. "New Equipment working as designed. The psychic officer is able to use it to track cloaked ships."

At the sight of the Klingons, Sinclair reflexively draws his phaser.
At the sight of the Klingons, McLennan instinctively moves towards them, putting himself between them and the rest of the landing party. His hand hovers near his phaser but as the Klingons put away their disruptor pistols, he refrains from drawing his own weapon. He tenses, waiting for the surprise attack that he almost expects to happen at any moment.

"I'd be happy to allow you to test your weaklings theory," he says quietly, but loud enough for the Klingons to hear.
Sinclair, phaser drawn but not pointed, looks to Conway for direction, while glancing frequently at the Kilingons...
"Easy, Lieutenant," Conway says to McLennan. Eyes still on the Klingons he sarcastically adds, "I'm sure they're just here for their midday meal with their friends."

The Klingon leader pointedly ignores all of you and states, "Do you see, Yunas? Everything I have told you about these Earthers and their Vulcan slave is true. Do they not outnumber we Klingons by two to one? And yet they reach for their weapons even as we put ours away! They lack courage and fear our strength." He steps forward to place himself directly in front of Dr. Sinclair's phaser. "We Klingons have no fear of such as these."

"The Klingon speaks truth, Yunas," interjects Traya.

"Captain Krawz," says Yunas, "there is much to consider in what you say. Perhaps we can all descend and discuss matters in a civilized manner?"

"Do the Earthers even fear to accept your hospitality?" says the Klingon captain with a nasty laugh. "I, on the other hand, thank you for your gracious overtures and accept on behalf of the crew of the Sword of Retribution as well as the entire glorious Klingon Empire." He looks at all of you and adds, "If these belligerent guests of yours will allow us to pass, we would like to join our comrades below and attempt to come to terms for the rights to mine your dilithium."

"Please, Captain Conway, make your men stand down," pleads Yunas. "There is no need for conflict when all are welcome."

"Even now they have a starship in orbit waiting to destroy your entire world if you do not give them access to your mineral resources," says Captain Krawz with a smirk.

"Is this true?" asks Seknod.

"It is their way," says Captain Krawz. "Naturally the Klingon Empire would be obliged to defend you--if we are able to come to a mutually agreeable arrangement."

Last edited:
Gideon looks to his superiors for guidance, not pointing his phaser, but not putting it away, either.

Travis decides it's better safe than sorry and and that he should tell the higher ups in case of disaster. Travis directs the communications officer to send a coded message back to Starfleet. The note describes the alien message, the fried computer, the coordinates, the presence of the D7 and Klingons on the planet, and the fact that the ship seems to have a cloak. The message ends with a note that a fake note will be following in 5 minutes.

The second note is in an older code believed to be cracked. "New Equipment working as designed. The psychic officer is able to use it to track cloaked ships."
A few uneventful minutes pass...

"Your messages have been sent, Commander," acknowledges Lt. Chopra. "Do you think the Klingons are still out there watching and listening?"

"Destroy this world?" McLennan blurts out with a snort. "Starfleet are peaceful explorers. It is you who enjoy conquering civilizations, Klingon!" The Lieutenant then falls silent, waiting for orders from the Captain.

"Lieutenant McLennan is right," Captain Conway says. "It is the Federation that respects other civilizations and are peaceful explorers. It is the Klingons that are a military dictatorship. They would take your dilithium from you and turn your planet into a slave labor camp and then use that dilithium to conquer other worlds. Is that what you want?"

"Slave? Well it would be illogical to expect higher level intelligence from such a primitive and savage species. Sir, might I suggest that you re-examine your data on the Federation? Slavery is outlawed in the United Federation of Planets. Although I may be in error in assuming that you can in fact read. Should the Captain permit it I will send you some children's instructional recordings. They have little text, but are quite image heavy. (OOC: The following sentence he will say Klingon) I can of course also provide a suitable translation should your language skills not be up to the task."
Ta'kar.jpg

A few uneventful minutes pass...

"Your messages have been sent, Commander," acknowledges Lt. Chopra. "Do you think the Klingons are still out there watching and listening?"

"I think so, Chopra. The only other option is that they transported everyone up and scrambled out of here in the short time we didn't have visual. It's better safe than sorry. Everyone, stay alert, keep the shields up.

ooc: I'd totally forgotten about alert status.
Travis smacks his head. He blames his lack of command experience for his lapse. "Lt. Chopra, signal yellow alert. They might try testing their ability to decloak and fire."

Gideon looks to his superiors for guidance, not pointing his phaser, but not putting it away, either.
"Destroy this world?" McLennan blurts out with a snort. "Starfleet are peaceful explorers. It is you who enjoy conquering civilizations, Klingon!" The Lieutenant then falls silent, waiting for orders from the Captain.
"Lieutenant McLennan is right," Captain Conway says. "It is the Federation that respects other civilizations and are peaceful explorers. It is the Klingons that are a military dictatorship. They would take your dilithium from you and turn your planet into a slave labor camp and then use that dilithium to conquer other worlds. Is that what you want?"
"Slave? Well it would be illogical to expect higher level intelligence from such a primitive and savage species. Sir, might I suggest that you re-examine your data on the Federation? Slavery is outlawed in the United Federation of Planets. Although I may be in error in assuming that you can in fact read. Should the Captain permit it I will send you some children's instructional recordings. They have little text, but are quite image heavy. (OOC: The following sentence he will say Klingon) I can of course also provide a suitable translation should your language skills not be up to the task."
"I am heartened to hear the Vulcan has been liberated," replies Krawz. "It speaks well of your Federation's growing enlightenment that you have finally outlawed slavery and come to recognize every sentient being has a right to freedom." He looks to Yunas and says, "As for this balderdash regarding conquest, let us all go below and you can verify with your scanners which of us has a starship in orbit ready to attack your world, and which of us does not." He eyes the Star Fleet officers and says, "Or are you afraid to come with us and have your lies exposed? We Klingons don't fear the truth."

"Truly," says Yunas, "our scanners will confirm this matter one way or the other. What say you, Captain Conway? Do you fear what we will discover as Captain Krawz alleges?"
"I think so, Chopra. The only other option is that they transported everyone up and scrambled out of here in the short time we didn't have visual. It's better safe than sorry. Everyone, stay alert, keep the shields up.

ooc: I'd totally forgotten about alert status.
Travis smacks his head. He blames his lack of command experience for his lapse. "Lt. Chopra, signal yellow alert. They might try testing their ability to decloak and fire."
Lt. Chopra broadcasts the yellow alert intraship as soon as Commander Travis presses the button set in the armrest of the captain's chair. Accordingly, deflector shields are at full power but weapons systems remain offline.
YA.jpg

"I am heartened to hear the Vulcan has been liberated," replies Krawz. "It speaks well of your Federation's growing enlightenment that you have finally outlawed slavery and come to recognize every sentient being has a right to freedom." He looks to Yunas and says, "As for this balderdash regarding conquest, let us all go below and you can verify with your scanners which of us has a starship in orbit ready to attack your world, and which of us does not." He eyes the Star Fleet officers and says, "Or are you afraid to come with us and have your lies exposed? We Klingons don't fear the truth."

"Truly," says Yunas, "our scanners will confirm this matter one way or the other. What say you, Captain Conway? Do you fear what we will discover as Captain Krawz alleges?"
"Indeed!" Ta'kar responds to Krawz' comment. Turning to Captain Conway he says: "Captain, a moment if I may?"

Gideon continues to look from the Klingons to Captain Conway, unsure what to do.

.Walking a bit away from the Klingons and Yunas' people, Ta'kar says quietly, and with his back to both groups: "Captain, I advise caution. It would be illogical to presume that the Klingon vessel has left orbit. When I was posted at Starfleet, there were 'indications' that the Klingons had acquired cloaking technology from the Romulans. I think it very likely that this might be the case, and we should proceed as if it were a fact."

"Interesting, Mr. Ta'Kar. That would be a very bad turn of events if true," Captain Conway says quietly to Ta'Kar. Then, turning back to Yunas, he pulls out his communicator.
"We will accompany you below, Yunas, if that is what you wish. First, I would like to contact my ship to let them know our whereabouts."

McLennan looks from the Klingons to Yunas to the Captain, unsure of what to do and waiting for his superiors to decide on a course of action. When the Captain pulls out his communicator, McLennan breathes a sigh of relief. Letting the Excalibur know what is occurring seems a prudent option.

Sinclair returns his phaser to his belt, suddenly feeling foolish for being the last one holding it.

Gideon continues to look from the Klingons to Captain Conway, unsure what to do.
"Indeed!" Ta'kar responds to Krawz' comment. Turning to Captain Conway he says: "Captain, a moment if I may?"
"Of course, Mr. Ta'kar," Conway says.
Walking a bit away from the Klingons and Yunas' people, Ta'kar says quietly, and with his back to both groups: "Captain, I advise caution. It would be illogical to presume that the Klingon vessel has left orbit. When I was posted at Starfleet, there were 'indications' that the Klingons had acquired cloaking technology from the Romulans. I think it very likely that this might be the case, and we should proceed as if it were a fact."
"Do you see, Yunas, how they whisper and conspire among themselves to determine what deception to put forward to you?" smirks Krawz. "We Klingons are forthright and honest in our dealings and speak so that all may hear, for we have nothing to hide."
"Interesting, Mr. Ta'Kar. That would be a very bad turn of events if true," Captain Conway says quietly to Ta'Kar. Then, turning back to Yunas, he pulls out his communicator.
"We will accompany you below, Yunas, if that is what you wish. First, I would like to contact my ship to let them know our whereabouts."
"Certainly you are free to contact your people as you like, Captain," replies Yunas. "So you admit there is a starship in orbit as our friend Captain Krawz stated?"
McLennan looks from the Klingons to Yunas to the Captain, unsure of what to do and waiting for his superiors to decide on a course of action. When the Captain pulls out his communicator, McLennan breathes a sigh of relief. Letting the Excalibur know what is occurring seems a prudent option.
Sinclair returns his phaser to his belt, suddenly feeling foolish for being the last one holding it.
"Observe, Yunas, how they were prepared to kill if you had responded in the negative," says Krawz with a leering grin.

"Of course we have a starship in orbit, how else would we have arrived here?" McLennan says. "You can be certain that the Klingons have a starship somewhere nearby as well," he adds.

"Mr. McLennan is correct, Yunas. How do you think the Klingons arrived at this world? At least we are honest enough not hide our starship from you," Conway says.

"Of course we have a starship in orbit, how else would we have arrived here?" McLennan says. "You can be certain that the Klingons have a starship somewhere nearby as well," he adds.
"Mr. McLennan is correct, Yunas. How do you think the Klingons arrived at this world? At least we are honest enough not hide our starship from you," Conway says.
"Naturally we arrived on a starship," replies Captain Krawz. To Yunas, he nods knowingly and says, "Unlike the Earthers, however, our starship has no need to linger in orbit as a threat if our peaceful diplomatic negotiations reach an impasse. By all means, let the Earthers speak to their starship and let us go below where you can observe your scanners. I expect both will confirm there is no Klingon starship in orbit of your world."

"Well, Captain Conway?" asks Yunas.
Stan Stan, is there anything else Commander Travis wants to do while in orbit aside from monitor for the Klingon starship?

"I will contact my ship, Yunas, and consider this as I do. The Klingons may have found a way to hide their ship from your scanners and ours."
Conway flips open the lid on his communicator and says, "Conway to Excalibur."

Stan Stan, is there anything else Commander Travis wants to do while in orbit aside from monitor for the Klingon starship?
No, we're good for now. As an hour on the planet in the game might take a month, let me know if soemthing comes up that needs my attention.

No, we're good for now. As an hour on the planet in the game might take a month, let me know if soemthing comes up that needs my attention.
RCO017_1472271736~2.jpg

"I will contact my ship, Yunas, and consider this as I do. The Klingons may have found a way to hide their ship from your scanners and ours."
Conway flips open the lid on his communicator and says, "Conway to Excalibur."
You receive a loud crackle of static and the faint voice of your chief communications officer replying, "--Excalibur. Your signal...read me?...Do you...boost?...read me, Captain?"
After the passage of about half an hour, Lieutenant Chopra turns to you from her communications console, holding the transdator to her left ear as if she can physically boost a signal if she can just get it in deeper, and says, "Commander, we're receiving a very weak signal from the surface. I believe it's Captain Conway trying to contact you."

After the passage of about half an hour, Lieutenant Chopra turns to you from her communications console, holding the transdator to her left ear as if she can physically boost a signal if she can just get it in deeper, and says, "Commander, we're receiving a very weak signal from the surface. I believe it's Captain Conway trying to contact you."
"Lietenant, on screen if possible, broadcast to the bridge otherwise."

Once Chopra has done her thing, "Captain, we're here. What do you need? There should be a shuttle of marines nearby to help."

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back