Starship Excalibur

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Gideon stays alert, trying to hide his discomfort at the presence of the Klingons. He is glad that more of the crew is on the planet, but he doesn't like that things seem to be escalating, rather than calming down.

No spoilers on the audio being transmitted, but spoilers on what's going on in the room:

Conway turns to look at Yunas as he continues to speak,
"Yes, there are also Klingons down here with us. We have not made contact with the shuttle party you sent down but we did leave a security officer on the surface. Your first priority is the safety of the ship. We will try to stay in contact and figure out what's going on down here."

Still looking at Yunas (and transmitting to the Exalibur) he says,
"There, Yunas, did you hear? The Klingons do indeed have a ship in orbit and they are capable of hiding it."
Turning to Krawz he adds,
"the question is, what else are they lying about?"

The Klingon crewmen begin to reach for their disruptors, but Krawz puts out his hands to stop them. He smiles and says quietly, "There is no need." Laughing, he remarks, "Why, Yunas, the Earthers claim we have a ship in orbit, therefore it must be true!" He then arches a brow and adds, "Or perhaps you should use your scanners and see for yourself. I pledge on my honor that there is no Klingon vessel in orbit. The Earthers lie."

"Captain Conway, do you object to verification as suggested by Captain Krawz?" asks Yunas.

Last edited:
McLennan puts his hand on his own phaser when the Klingons begin reaching for weapons but stops short of drawing it when the situation calms down a moment later.

Conway shakes his head. "No, Yunas, I do not. But as Captain Krawz says, your scanners won't detect his ship. The Klingons have found a way to hide it."

McLennan puts his hand on his own phaser when the Klingons begin reaching for weapons but stops short of drawing it when the situation calms down a moment later.

SInclair does the same, though perhaps a bit more quickly, owing to his growing unease...

Ta'kar, in an attempt diffuse the rising tension, responds. "Captain, if I may? Yunas, let logic guide us for a moment. The equipment in this room is of advanced design and purpose. We were detected by your computers well before we arrived on the planet surface. The Klingons were no doubt similarly tracked. Such equipment can most certainly also track any ships departing the system. Since the Klingon vessel would have left orbit, and the system after our arrival, I suggest that you instruct your robots to display the departure route that the Klingon vessel took. If such a route can be displayed, then logically the Klingon Captain is being truthful, and we have no reason for alarm."

I want to give Stan Stan a chance to reply to the earlier dialogue Commander Travis had going with Captain Conway before I move this along, so I'll give it till tomorrow and then update either way.

ooc: I hadn't noticed that there was anything to respond to.

Travis responds to the captain, "Very good sir. We'll wait further command. Until then, we'll sit tight with shields up in case the Klingons try anything.

Yunas walks to a console and depresses a button. The robot stirs and activates controls. On the visual display, a screen not unlike that on the bridge of the Excalibur, you see geometric shapes representing detected objects. Yunas nods and says, "There is but one vessel in orbit, which belongs to the Earthmen. There is an indication that a Klingon ship was in orbit, but no longer is; this is does not contradict the Klingon's assertion that their ship has left them here to negotiate in peace. But you say the Klingons have a way to hide from our scanners."

Yunas is interrupted by a response from Commander Travis: "Very good, sir. We'll await further command. Until then, we'll sit tight with shields up in case the Klingons try anything."

Yunas looks downcast for a moment and then says, "Seknod, Traya, I regret that it has come to this, but you know what we must do." He looks over the assembled Star Fleet and Klingon crewmen and dolefully says to you all in a weary tone, "Forgive us, but it's the only way."

Suddenly the room fills with a senses-shattering high-pitched wail that you realize is emanating from Yunas, Seknod, and Traya. The sound is so agonizing you can hardly think as your hands reflexively move to your temples. You can see the Klingons are suffering the same effects.

Everybody make an Endurance roll and tell me (1) did you roll under? and (2) if so, by how much? Then I can update what effect the sonic blast has on each of you.

The bridge is suddenly filled with a senses-shattering high-pitched wail so agonizing you can hardly think as your hands reflexively move to your temples. Then, just as suddenly, the sound cuts out and you realize communication with Captain Conway has been cut off. Lieutenant Chopra pulls her transdator earpiece out and stares in disbelief at her communications board.

Yunas walks to a console and depresses a button. The robot stirs and activates controls. On the visual display, a screen not unlike that on the bridge of the Excalibur, you see geometric shapes representing detected objects. Yunas nods and says, "There is but one vessel in orbit, which belongs to the Earthmen. There is an indication that a Klingon ship was in orbit, but no longer is; this is does not contradict the Klingon's assertion that their ship has left them here to negotiate in peace. But you say the Klingons have a way to hide from our scanners."

Yunas is interrupted by a response from Commander Travis: "Very good, sir. We'll await further command. Until then, we'll sit tight with shields up in case the Klingons try anything."

Yunas looks downcast for a moment and then says, "Seknod, Traya, I regret that it has come to this, but you know what we must do." He looks over the assembled Star Fleet and Klingon crewmen and dolefully says to you all in a weary tone, "Forgive us, but it's the only way."

Suddenly the room fills with a senses-shattering high-pitched wail that you realize is emanating from Yunas, Seknod, and Traya. The sound is so agonizing you can hardly think as your hands reflexively move to your temples. You can see the Klingons are suffering the same effects.

Everybody make an Endurance roll and tell me (1) did you roll under? and (2) if so, by how much? Then I can update what effect the sonic blast has on each of you.

The bridge is suddenly filled with a senses-shattering high-pitched wail so agonizing you can hardly think as your hands reflexively move to your temples. Then, just as suddenly, the sound cuts out and you realize communication with Captain Conway has been cut off. Lieutenant Chopra pulls her transdator earpiece out and stares in disbelief at her communications board.

OOC: Was Yunas able to track the "departing" Klingon vessel be as per Ta'kar's suggestion?

I rolled a 72, that's a fail

OOC: Sorry for the delay; I am doing a lot of OT this week and don't want to half-ass the PBP by posting an update without reading everything and making whatever rolls are needed.

Once we have Toric Toric's Endurance roll for Lt. Donal McLennan, I'll update events on Sylva IV.

OOC: Yeah, sorry... been dealing with. Stupid medical issues in our family.

Endurance is 66, rolled a 22 for McLennan

My Endurance is 71, and I roll an 08.
I rolled a 72, that's a fail
My Endurance is 62, and I roll an 95.
OOC: Yeah, sorry... been dealing with. Stupid medical issues in our family.

Endurance is 66, rolled a 22 for McLennan
Ta'kar and McLennan watch with curiosity and dismay, respectively, as their captain and chief medical officer stumble forward and lose consciousness. All the Klingons except Captain Krawz and one other also fall to the ground. Though you remain conscious, your senses--particularly sight and hearing--are hampered by acute, debilitating pain.

Traya remarks, "These specimens show superior stamina, Yunas."

"No matter," replies Yunas. "It merely means we must increase the intensity. I regret what must be done." He reaches out to turn a dial on the console...

Ta'kar and McLennan (as well as the two Klingons) have a small window of time in which to act--should you choose to do so--before you need to make another Endurance roll with a negative modifier. Also note that any actions you attempt may also suffer a negative modifier due to the pain and sensory impairment you are currently experiencing.

Ta'kar and McLennan watch with curiosity and dismay, respectively, as their captain and chief medical officer stumble forward and lose consciousness. All the Klingons except Captain Krawz and one other also fall to the ground. Though you remain conscious, your senses--particularly sight and hearing--are hampered by acute, debilitating pain.

Traya remarks, "These specimens show superior stamina, Yunas."

"No matter," replies Yunas. "It merely means we must increase the intensity. I regret what must be done." He reaches out to turn a dial on the console...

Ta'kar and McLennan (as well as the two Klingons) have a small window of time in which to act--should you choose to do so--before you need to make another Endurance roll with a negative modifier. Also note that any actions you attempt may also suffer a negative modifier due to the pain and sensory impairment you are currently experiencing.
Ta'kar will attempt to give Yunas a Vulcan nerve pinch in order to prevent him from turning the dial. I'm not sure what that would fall under but I roll a 41 for Endurance.

Travis shakes his head in anger. "Damn overpowered aliens. I was afraid of something like this when they fried the sensor board. Everyone keep monitoring the planet. But the planets inhabitants have made it clear that we are not to speak to the captain. Unless someone has a clever idea, we have to consider that our actions might further endanger the captain and the landing party."

"Lieutenant Chopra, once you've recovered, try hailing the shuttle. Maybe they can see things we can't."

McLennan wants to pull and fire his phaser at the dial that Yunas is trying to turn.

Shoot the dial=22 (if I need to roll anything else, let me know, but that should be well below my weapon skill)

Everyone in the house has been taking turns getting sick this week, but I'm going to try to update all the PBPs tonight and/tomorrow. Sorry for the wait.

OOC: take care of you and yours, that's all that's really important. Hope everyone feels better soon...

Ta'kar will attempt to give Yunas a Vulcan nerve pinch in order to prevent him from turning the dial. I'm not sure what that would fall under but I roll a 41 for Endurance.
McLennan wants to pull and fire his phaser at the dial that Yunas is trying to turn.

Shoot the dial=22 (if I need to roll anything else, let me know, but that should be well below my weapon skill)
In the interest of moving events along, I went ahead and rolled for Ta'kar's Vulcan nerve pinch attack as well as an Endurance check for McLennan. (For future reference, the Vulcan nerve pinch is just rolled as any other Unarmed Personal Combat attack--only it's effect is different.)

Their actions dangerously uncoordinated with each other, Ta'kar and McLennan both react in their own unique fashion. Even as Ta'kar reaches out for the neck and shoulder area of Yunas, knowing from earlier tricorder readings that the latter's physiology generally conforms to humanoid norms, McLennan fires his phaser at the controls by Yunas' own outstretched hand. Sparks fly from the console and burn Yunas' hand, but his yelp of pain and shock is cut short as Ta'kars sensitive fingers find the assailable nerve and render the elderly man unconscious.

As you see Yunas' eyes roll back in his head and he slumps to the ground, you hear the baleful shriek of a panicked Traya: "They've killed him!"

Seknod steps between Traya and the Star Fleet officers and states flatly, "You should not have harmed him."

Travis shakes his head in anger. "Damn overpowered aliens. I was afraid of something like this when they fried the sensor board. Everyone keep monitoring the planet. But the planets inhabitants have made it clear that we are not to speak to the captain. Unless someone has a clever idea, we have to consider that our actions might further endanger the captain and the landing party."

"Lieutenant Chopra, once you've recovered, try hailing the shuttle. Maybe they can see things we can't."
"Aye-aye," replies Lt. Chopra before turning to her work.

The interval that passes is surely briefer than it feels due to the tension on the bridge, but either way Lt. Chopra eventually says, "I have Lieutenant Zither aboard shuttlecraft Galahad, sir. Audio only."

After some crackling static, you hear the security officer's voice: "All clear at our end, Commander Travis. This place is what I imagine your Earth's Old West ghost towns would be like." You recall that the Andorian if enamored of Western novels and the hot, dry American Southwest so unlike the frigid climes of his homeworld. "I think your term for it is spooky. It's almost too quiet. We have seen no Klingons, nor any natives."

Ensign Chen reports from the science station, "Sensors show no indication of any other lifeforms in the vicinity, sir. They are within meters of where Captain Conway beamed down."

The interval that passes is surely briefer than it feels due to the tension on the bridge, but either way Lt. Chopra eventually says, "I have Lieutenant Zither aboard shuttlecraft Galahad, sir. Audio only."

After some crackling static, you hear the security officer's voice: "All clear at our end, Commander Travis. This place is what I imagine your Earth's Old West ghost towns would be like." You recall that the Andorian if enamored of Western novels and the hot, dry American Southwest so unlike the frigid climes of his homeworld. "I think your term for it is spooky. It's almost too quiet. We have seen no Klingons, nor any natives."

Ensign Chen reports from the science station, "Sensors show no indication of any other lifeforms in the vicinity, sir. They are within meters of where Captain Conway beamed down."

Travis nods. This is what he expected. But it isn't great news. "Thanks Lieutenant Zither. Maintain your station and keep an eye out. Scan the building but do not enter it."

After the connection is dropped, Travis speaks to Ensign Chen. "They must have gone in where our sensors can't reach. Maintain a scan of the area and let me know if the number of bodies present goes up or down."

In the interest of moving events along, I went ahead and rolled for Ta'kar's Vulcan nerve pinch attack as well as an Endurance check for McLennan. (For future reference, the Vulcan nerve pinch is just rolled as any other Unarmed Personal Combat attack--only it's effect is different.)

Their actions dangerously uncoordinated with each other, Ta'kar and McLennan both react in their own unique fashion. Even as Ta'kar reaches out for the neck and shoulder area of Yunas, knowing from earlier tricorder readings that the latter's physiology generally conforms to humanoid norms, McLennan fires his phaser at the controls by Yunas' own outstretched hand. Sparks fly from the console and burn Yunas' hand, but his yelp of pain and shock is cut short as Ta'kars sensitive fingers find the assailable nerve and render the elderly man unconscious.

As you see Yunas' eyes roll back in his head and he slumps to the ground, you hear the baleful shriek of a panicked Traya: "They've killed him!"

Seknod steps between Traya and the Star Fleet officers and states flatly, "You should not have harmed him."

"Seknod. Yunas is not harmed, merely unconscious. We mean you no harm, and the sonic attack was not required. You have no doubt searched our library banks with your scanners and know that we are peaceful. It is the Klingons who mean you, and us harm. They are an illogical and perfidious species that glorifies war and conquest. Peace through enslavement, exploitation and death is their desire. You must understand that as a Vulcan I speak the truth. Vulcans do not lie.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back