Stay Frosty II - Hitching a ride

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Which of us knows how to operate and fly the strike sphere?

OOC: All of you would be more than capable of operating it

"Prop me up against the wall and gimme a pistol. I'll hold em off as best I can wi' somebody. I ken I'm no in fightin' shape but I'll do what ah can."
While continuing to fire with her assault rifle, Ling unslings her shotgun and hands it to Griff, an action made easier by the reflex-enhancing drugs coursing through her veins.

"Mind the kick," she says tersley, continuing to fire at the xeno. "Brace it against the wall if you have to."

While continuing to fire with her assault rifle, Ling unslings her shotgun and hands it to Griff, an action made easier by the reflex-enhancing drugs coursing through her veins.

"Mind the kick," she says tersley, continuing to fire at the xeno. "Brace it against the wall if you have to."
The final few xenos coming through the ceiling or emerging out of the rubble are killed by the group's fire. A silence passes over the Engineering deck. It's been a while without gunshots or explosions.

The Jump Drive has begun to glow and loud noises start to emanate from its interior as it prepares the jump to the uninhabited system.

OOC:
115 minutes to Pitstop collision
30 minutes until Jump to AS23 system

"All right, let's book, two by two into the elevator and up."

I'm grabbing Griff and making him come with me in the first trip in the elevator. Once we arrive at the right level, I'll send it down for the others if I can do that.

Raúl and Griff head up the lift first which opens up to a long blue corridor on Level 3. To the right are two large sets of double doors, to the left is a corridor that seems lined with guest rooms and a sign along it indicates a spacewalk attraction and security office at the other end. The lift heads back down to Potter and Ling.
As they wait for the lift to come back down Potter and Ling hear and see no enemies, though sections of the deck light up as the jump drive begins gathering power

Raúl and Griff head up the lift first which opens up to a long blue corridor on Level 3. To the right are two large sets of double doors, to the left is a corridor that seems lined with guest rooms and a sign along it indicates a spacewalk attraction and security office at the other end. The lift heads back down to Potter and Ling.
“Let’s wait for the others,” Raúl says, “but keep our eyes open for anything that looks, sounds, smells, or feels wrong. Keep your weapon ready.”

The lift arrives and takes Ling and Potter to the third floor. The doors open onto a long blue corridor. To the right are two large sets of double doors, to the left is a corridor that seems lined with guest rooms and a sign along it indicates a spacewalk attraction and security office at the other end.

Raúl and Griff are next to the lift doors as they open. Griff is just about strong enough now to stand unaided.

OOC: Not sure what weapons I have left with ammo, I think Ling has lent me her shotgun?

Pushing himself off the wall, Griff takes a few uneasy steps and rights himself. "Well, fuck me. That wasnae fun, I'll tell ya that for nuthin'." He slings his firearm and pulls out his motion scanner. "Let's try and avoid any more suprises, ya ken?" Staggering forward, Griff rubs his neck with his free hand gingerly, lest he accidentally break it again somehow.

‘Let’s roll,’ I say and move at a jog towards the security office.

"Let's get to the strike sphere as fast as we can. I have a feeling we'll get another surprise or two before we're safe."

I start moving in the direction of the strike sphere with my flamethrower ready and alert as always due to my utter mistrust of everything around me.

‘Let’s roll,’ I say and move at a jog towards the security office.
"Let's get to the strike sphere as fast as we can. I have a feeling we'll get another surprise or two before we're safe."

I start moving in the direction of the strike sphere with my flamethrower ready and alert as always due to my utter mistrust of everything around me.
The group head along the corridor toward the security office. They pass all the guest rooms, some of the doors are melted a bit. Nothing leaps out at them though or triggers the motion sensors. They reach the point where the corridor meets the other guest room corridor that had collapsed from Potter's rocket.

Continuing on and passing the spacewalk attraction they reach the security office. The hatch they had entered earlier is in lock down due to the jump procedure being underway. However Raúl's earlier hacking of all the hatches makes this simple to override.

The hatch springs open, lit up by neon red lights unlike the last time they used it. A ladder leads down.

Raúl's flames rush into the hatch flowing down the ladder and into the red tinged tunnel beneath. The group hear no screeches and growls or other alien sounds in response.

Raúl's flames rush into the hatch flowing down the ladder and into the red tinged tunnel beneath. The group hear no screeches and growls or other alien sounds in response.
I'll give it however long it takes to cool down and then proceed with extreme caution, wariness, mistrust, paranoia, and willingness to kill.

Heading in, Raúl sees no enemies jumping out at him. He quickly reaches the part of the maintenance tunnel system beneath the ballroom by simply retracing their steps from last time.

Unfortunately the ladder leading back up to the ballroom has had debris collapse in on it. Looking around there are burn marks. It seems the satchel charge Griff planted has since gone off.

Heading in, Raúl sees no enemies jumping out at him. He quickly reaches the part of the maintenance tunnel system beneath the ballroom by simply retracing their steps from last time.

Unfortunately the ladder leading back up to the ballroom has had debris collapse in on it. Looking around there are burn marks. It seems the satchel charge Griff planted has since gone off.
Is there another way up? Or can we clear the debris? Or use something in the area to enable us to reach the ballroom without the ladder? Or all three?

Is there another way up?
There doesn't seem to be another way up that Raúl can see here. Back down the tunnel a bit there is a turn to left leading to a part of the maintenance tunnel complex they've never been to before. There might be another ladder in that direction.

Or can we clear the debris?
Raúl thinks the debris might be moveable. He can't quite do it on his own.

Or use something in the area to enable us to reach the ballroom without the ladder?
There is nothing else in the tunnel system that would seem to help.

There doesn't seem to be another way up that Raúl can see here. Back down the tunnel a bit there is a turn to left leading to a part of the maintenance tunnel complex they've never been to before. There might be another ladder in that direction.

Raúl thinks the debris might be moveable. He can't quite do it on his own.

There is nothing else in the tunnel system that would seem to help.
"Okay, let's use our muscle and see if this debris can be moved. I'll cover you. If we can't move it and use the ladder up, we'll try that maintenance tunnel back the other way and see if there's another way up."

OOC: Who moves the debris and who covers with Raúl?

OOC: If Griff has recovered enough, he will

I move the debris. Looking nervously over my shoulder, hoping the others don’t notice my nerves.

"Guys, I'm right here," Ling says, as she casually starts to grabs large pieces of debris and tosses them aside and out of the way. "Cover me."

I move the debris. Looking nervously over my shoulder, hoping the others don’t notice my nerves.
Dammit, I think, it looks like Potter's going to punk out on us!

The group clear the debris quickly until they come up against a collapsed steel girder. Though Potter and Griff cannot even budge it, Ling's drug enhanced physique lets her lift the girder up whereupon she tosses it into the ballroom like a caber. With the debris cleared the marines have a clear way up into the ballroom as the ladder is mostly intact.

"Everyone remember not to get Ling angry when she's on drugs," I say.

Once the ladder is cleared, I'll ascend one-handed with my flamethrower and shoot flames ahead of me before I move. If there's any indication of danger, I'll give it a nice big blast of hellfire and shout a warning to the others below.

"Everyone remember not to get Ling angry when she's on drugs," I say.

Once the ladder is cleared, I'll ascend one-handed with my flamethrower and shoot flames ahead of me before I move. If there's any indication of danger, I'll give it a nice big blast of hellfire and shout a warning to the others below.
As Raúl reaches the top of the ladder, just before the ballroom is visible, his flames are greeted with xeno screeches, but they sound weak to him. Nothing like the savage ferocity he has previously encountered.

OOC: Travelling so I will be slow in responding for a few days. Assume I do whatever Raul tells me to do. :wink:

As Raúl reaches the top of the ladder, just before the ballroom is visible, his flames are greeted with xeno screeches, but they sound weak to him. Nothing like the savage ferocity he has previously encountered.
I pour on the flames of Hades and cackle. "Die! Die! Die!" When it seems clear I'll go through and check it out, ready to kill any survivors.

I pour on the flames of Hades and cackle. "Die! Die! Die!" When it seems clear I'll go through and check it out, ready to kill any survivors.
As Raúl enters the ballroom he sees there are only two xenos, both badly wounded and pinned under debris. Victims of Griff's satchel charge. He quickly finishes them off with Old Scratch.

The sphere, embedded in the ceiling, emits a blue light directed at Raúl. The virtual intelligence housed in the sphere speaks.

"Lieutenant Rodríguez, is the mission accomplished?"

As it says this the last of the drugs run through Ling and Raúl's systems. Raúl just feels like shit, but Ling collapses onto her knees down in maintenance tunnel. Barely able to walk let alone climb the ladder.

"Come on, you sad sacks!" I call to Potter and Griff. I put Ling in a fireman's carry and enter the strike sphere, ready to draw my pistol if anything seems off when we get inside.

To the machine I respond, "It will be when we're all aboard and far away from here!"

As Potter and Griff enter the sphere they get strapped in as Raúl does likewise for himself and Ling. The artificial intelligence immediately replies.

"All are now aboard Lieutenant Rodríguez. Please hold on. I am detecting mounting gravitational disturbances. I assume you have set the The White Mare to jump. I will jump us out in case we don't get clear of the jump bubble in time"

There is some rattling and shaking as the strike sphere lifts itself out of The White Mare's hull and into space.

scott_halls_2.jpg

They drift momentarily as the sphere does some quick calculations. "Closest navel base with human personal identified...hold on there may be some momentary discomfort. The immediacy of the situation prevents a clean jump" The marines feel a sickening sensation in their stomach as the sphere lifts them out of the universe into a realm beyond sight and sound. The eerie quite of jump space with its occasional dull thuds fills their compartment.

Shortly afterward telescopes all over the sector pick up a massive explosion in the AS23 system. A few stock prices adjust as mining prospects in the system are cancelled

vVIk02.jpg

A few days later the marines reemerge into the material universe near a marine base on the ice planet Karith. Their radio comms receive an incoming signal with a well known voice.

Sarge After Funny.JPG

"Well, well, well. A fine mission marines. A bunch of reality destroying aliens teaming up with psychics. Good thing we had all of you nearby. That miniverse you've created in AS23 is technically marine property now. The tourist revenue alone means this mission is in the green. Success and I won't hear from accounts, couldn't be happier.

Lieutenant Rodríguez. I'm sure you're glad we hauled your ass out of that cop job. Sure you had the easy life, but what's the point if you're not at risk every time you turn a corner. The first thing to do when you get back here is have the tech boys take a look at that Flame Thrower of yours. She's still on the first cylinder, that's not natural. Good to see the old paranoia still holds up. Shoot first, shoot the corpse and the boys in paperwork can handle any questions afterward. And that kill count, how'd they fit that many aliens into that ship?

Sergeant Potter. You nearly blew yourself and your fellow marines to bits with a rocket at close range. That's the kind of stones it takes to make Lieutenant. Nice shot on the big one down in the drive by the way. You took some punishment, so that bioengineering was worth it. Your headset data showed some psychic activity. The Psi-Team thinks you'll manifest abilities in the next few weeks. Get down there for a reading, you'll be detonating heads remotely by the end of the week.

Private Ling. Well what can I say. If it wasn't for your surgeon hands and predilection for pushing narcotics on others I think this mission wouldn't have gone half as smoothly. Plus you picked up an almighty kill count for your first mission. In fact drugs agree with you so well we might have something cooking in biotech. Let's see if we can get the stuff in your blood on a permanent basis. Toughen you up enough you mightn't even need a rifle or armour. Think of it as a promotion.

Private Griff...." he whistles "...you took some nasty punishment. Melted facial structure, broken ribs, cracked neck. That trick with the drive, the head of jump tech here tells me it's a one in a million aptitude for jump space dynamics. With your natural resilience for punishment and jump insight the AIs had assigned you to navigator duty. I argued that your personality didn't suit being bio-grafted into a jump engine, so you can thank me for that when you get here with one of those Scottish ales.

Now get down here and let our bored guys and gals know all about the mission. Cigars and drinks for everybody. Sarge Out!"

The sphere sails on toward the planet....

The End. Thanks for playing and Stay Frosty!

Last edited:
Jesus love that song, use it in every Post-Apocalyptic game. Thanks for the credits Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl !

And Dumarest Dumarest Sly Stallone has confirmed he will guest GM any future game. Once he gets back from Nam and has a look at the Stay Frosty rules.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back