Stay Frosty II - Hitching a ride

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
For everyone but Raul:
I send a message back to Ling and Raul in case he can see it. ‘Griff and I are both alive but badly banged up. The creature is dead. Send us your coordinates, we’re in the ruins of a swimming pool.’ I send our coordinates and move out once we get Ling’s.

I'm a little confused as to where we are in relation to each other. Am I on a different level?
If the elevator is functional, I send a message to the others: "I've located an elevator and I have the keycard in my possession." I also give my location in relation to theirs. If it's not functional, I'll ask if anyone has located a way to the drive room or the bridge and, if not, suggest we may be able to use the elevator shaft even if the elevator itself is not working.

As Raúl opens the elevator doors a fat slug like creature leaps out at him. Fortunately he was prepared and downs it midair. With the coast clear he steps inside to look at the lift...

OOC: Everybody in contact now so dropping the spoilers

Everybody receives Potter's message:
‘Griff and I are both alive but badly banged up. The creature is dead. Send us your coordinates, we’re in the ruins of a swimming pool.’

And Raúl's message:
"I've located an elevator and I have the keycard in my possession."

Raúl's keycard can be inserted into a slot in the lift, which then lights up and a sign displays six floors:

1. Bridge (Bridge Staff Clearance required)
  2. Library & Shopping
  3. Security, Ballroom, Guest Rooms & Lounge
  4. Pool and Kitchens
  5. Restaurant, Promenade and Sports Facilities
  6. Engineering and Drives (Engineering Clearance required)
The signs for floors 1. and 6. are lit up in red.

OOC: Relative Locations:
Map.jpg

I assume the red lights indicate security clearance required. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I send a message to everyone: "This is no time for relaxing poolside, niños. This elevator can take us to the bridge or the drive room. Let's hustle. The sooner we avert this collision course, the sooner we can leave. I'm coming down."

I hit the button to go down one level and unlimber my flamethrower to be ready to scorch anything unfriendly.

The elevator doors close smoothly as muzak comes on. The inside of the doors are actually a display screen that begins advertising Extreme Paint Ball to him. "Play it now on the fifth floor solider! One of the many games in our sports facility!" a computer generated sergeant roars.

The ad ends suddenly and the elevator doors open. In front of Raúl is a long steel walkway that runs between six vats of bubbling green liquid, three on the left, three on the right. Each vat has eight seats perched on its rim and each seat has accompanying breathing masks. Signs on the sides of the vats read "Anagathic Baths".

Beyond the vats themselves is a kiosk, clearly where one pays for the treatments.

The area of the roof above the last two vats and the kiosk is gone, collapsed from Potter's rocket blast. Some of the debris has landed in on the kiosk itself. The vat room would be quite dark without the light coming through from the hole in the roof.

Suddenly a voice enters Raúl's head.

"WHO ARE YOU? WHY ARE YOU HERE?"

Everybody receives a communication from Raúl:

"This is no time for relaxing poolside, niños. This elevator can take us to the bridge or the drive room. Let's hustle. The sooner we avert this collision course, the sooner we can leave. I'm coming down."

OOC: Assuming Griff heads with Potter, let me know if not Smith Smith

Potter and Griff cross the swimming pool area and pass through the door into the kitchen where they see Ling surrounded by the fat slug like creatures she mentioned. The large kitchen is mostly destroyed due to the collapsed roof. Debris lies everywhere and the stoves, ovens and deep fryers are smashed in from impacts with beds and wardrobes from above.

The ad ends suddenly and the elevator doors open. In front of Raúl is a long steel walkway that runs between six vats of bubbling green liquid, three on the left, three on the right. Each vat has eight seats perched on its rim and each seat has accompanying breathing masks. Signs on the sides of the vats read "Anagathic Baths".

Beyond the vats themselves is a kiosk, clearly where one pays for the treatments.

The area of the roof above the last two vats and the kiosk is gone, collapsed from Potter's rocket blast. Some of the debris has landed in on the kiosk itself. The vat room would be quite dark without the light coming through from the hole in the roof.

Suddenly a voice enters Raúl's head.

"WHO ARE YOU? WHY ARE YOU HERE?"
I switch to my rifle and open fire to destroy all the vats--and anything in them--while doing my best to keep my mind clear of all thoughts aside from Mi mamacita me dijo que no hablara con extraños over and over again like a mantra.

‘Let’s go,’ I call. ‘What’s up with these slugs?’

‘Let’s go,’ I call. ‘What’s up with these slugs?’
"Not certain," Ling answers as she rejoins Potter and Griff. "They didn't attack me while I was unconscious, so there's that, at least."

I examine the slugs and Delphine's body from a distance.

I switch to my rifle and open fire to destroy all the vats--and anything in them--while doing my best to keep my mind clear of all thoughts aside from Mi mamacita me dijo que no hablara con extraños over and over again like a mantra.
As Raúl opens fire the first vat easily bursts, spilling its contents onto the ground. As he rips open more and more vats, the anagathic begins to flood the room, reaching up to knee height.

Suddenly he feels a dull pressure inside his skull. It builds and builds to the point where he almost cries out in pain, however just in time he spots a human form lying in the fluid with a breathing mask around its face.

One bullet through its skull is enough to stop the pain Raúl feels. He then gets a metallic taste in his mouth, a stream of blood flowing from both nostrils.

OOC: 6HP lost, 1HP remains

Last edited:
"Not certain," Ling answers as she rejoins Potter and Griff. "They didn't attack me while I was unconscious, so there's that, at least."
Up close Ling notices that Griff's face is partially melted, reducing his nose to virtually the bone. The burn marks take the shape of a claw.

Potter on the other hand has a shockingly deep stomach wound. In fact she can see a bit of his spine and in places she can see right out through his back. Potter could only have survived this by having his genes augmented.

I examine the slugs and Delphine's body from a distance.
Delphine's body is heavily bruised and cut, but otherwise normal. The slugs shuffle about her body watching Potter with their four eyes. They take probing nibbles at Delphine but always maintain eye contact with Potter and never eat for too long.

I don’t want to leave Delphine to be consumed by these things but if we don’t save the ship it seems pointless to worry. ‘Let’s move out to the elevator,’ I say.

Oblivious to his own pain, and eyeing Delphine's body with a pang of guilt, Griff motions to the huge wound in Potter's chest. "Ling, reckon that'll scar?" He grins, but in reality it's just a grimace. He turns back to watch the slugs with a morbid curiousity. "Fuckin slugs are no interested in a live meal I take it, well that's only slightly comforting."

Ling pulls out her medpack. "Damn, boys, I can't leave you alone for a minute, can I?" She motions toward the elevator. "Let's see if I can give you two some relief before you aggravate those wounds any further." She will do what she can to repair the damage done to them, starting with Potter.

Ling applies the nanonic paste and guides the army of miniature chemical robots judiciously. She manages to heal both of her comrades in arms without wasting any, the paste rising out of Potter and Griff's mouths and returning to Ling's medkit. Potter still has some slight muscle tearing and the odd bruise that she missed, but overall in rude health.

The healing confirms Potter's denser bone structure and enhanced clotting factor from gene treatment, as well as a back up small third lung.

Griff's face looks intact now, though with baby smooth skin reconstituted from his genome.

OOC: Griff back to full health at 6 HP. Potter almost there at 15 HP out of a max 17 HP. Medkit supply dice still on d6

Rubbing his sore face, and spitting out some loose remainders of the paste out of his mouth, Griff grins. "I feel nearly good as new, cheers Ling. Right then, shall we rejoin LT 'fore he blows a gasket?"

Griff glances one last time before Delphine's body and bows his head, then heads towards the Elevator with the others.

Griff, Ling and Potter head back across the swimming pool. Ling notices the collapsed sauna crushed from above and the swimming pool itself is full of debris. They reach a door at the other end. As Potter opens it a thick green liquid flows out slowly.

Within they see the Lieutenant, bruised with two thick streaks of dried blood under his nose and similar streaks running from his ears to his neck. Between themselves and Raúl lies a body of a weak looking old woman with her head blown out.

‘What happened here?’ I ask. ‘Are they in human form?’

"Well ya no say, not like she got the upper hand over ya eh?" Says Griff, not entirely sure as to what even happened at all. "What's causin' this green goo?" he asks, trying to avoid getting any on his combat boots.

‘What happened here?’ I ask. ‘Are they in human form?’
"Well ya no say, not like she got the upper hand over ya eh?" Says Griff, not entirely sure as to what even happened at all. "What's causin' this green goo?" he asks, trying to avoid getting any on his combat boots.
Stepping in closer and looking around the trio sees the goo draining out through a metallic walkway Raúl is standing on. The walkway is flanked by six vats, three on each side, all burst open. However traces of the goo lie within each vat. On one of the vats they notice a sign saying "Anagathics", suggesting the green goop is an expensive anti-aging drug.

Last edited:
Carefully avoiding the green goo for the moment, Ling steps over to the Lieutenant and begins examining him. Damn, apparently I got off lightly, she thinks to herself. If possible, she will do a quick scan to see if there's any lingering psychic damage that might hinder him for whatever reason.

If there are no complications, she will then use her medkit to help heal the damage that Rodríguez suffered. If the nano-reserves aren't depleted too badly from this, she will then attend to her own injuries (unless those are minor enough that she can take care of them without needing the nanonic paste).

Finally, while carefully acquiring some samples of the anagathic goo for her own later studies, she comments, "A lot of shit ain't adding up." She motions to the headless corpse. "Why did she attack Rodríguez? Unless she just had a psychotic hatred for anyone wearing a military uniform, you would think that under the circumstances she would have been happy to see anyone that wasn't a murderous xeno."

"This whole place is todo jodido. We'll be lucky to get out alive. You'd think we'd be accustomed to it by now, eh, Potter?"

As Ling gets to work on Raúl she sees multiple microfractures along the base of the skull, ruptured blood vessels though out Raúl's head but thankfully no major ones within the brain itself. Overall the pressure looks like it was on the verge of cracking the cranium itself. (OOC: No joke very close! Most rolls would have killed him! :ooh:)

Once again she uses little of the paste while healing Raúl, who returns to full health aside from some very minor scrapes and bruises.

Ling then applies the paste on herself and repairs the bruising on her back and legs. Once again no paste is wasted.

OOC: Ling back to her full health of 8HP. Raúl up to 10HP out of 11HP.

Last edited:
"At least we're only missing a few body parts. There's something pernicious going on with psionics and these ugly XTs. Any theories? Shall we head down to the drive room and see what fresh horror awaits us?"

"Yer no sayin' that these eggheads are in league with the xenos are ya? So we cannae trust no-one?"

"I wish we had a psyker of our own to maybe help figure this out," Ling muses, "and believe me, those aren't words you're normally not going to hear coming out of my mouth."

"Yer no sayin' that these eggheads are in league with the xenos are ya?"
"I'm saying there's a link, but we don't know what it is. They've displayed hostility for unknown reasons. That's enough cause to keep them covered at all times."
"So we cannae trust no-one?"
"Not if you want to get off this ship alive."

‘Let’s skip the civs for now and go direct to the drive to mop this up,’ I say. I turn to Ling ‘Anything we can do or take to help against the psionics?’

Last edited:
‘Let’s skip the civs for now and go direct to the drive to mops this up,’ I say. I turn to Ling ‘Anything we can do or take to help against the psionics?’
I affectionately pat Old Scratch and remark, "She's never let me down yet. Don't see why psionics shouldn't burn just like anybody else."
YVlp.gif

OOC: Given Ling's biochemistry and narcotics background I'd say she can try and whip something up

Ling scoops up some of the anagathics and gets to work synthesizing an anti-psionic drug by combining it with the nanopaste. Hopefully the little chemical robots can use the anagathics to rebuild the brain as it's being attacked.

It's not an easy task but ten minutes later Ling produces two inoculations of a purple anti-psionic compound.

OOC: Psionics will be at a disadvantage against anybody inoculated for 1d10 minutes.

Eyeing the vials in Ling's hands, Griff takes a breath and speaks up. "While I'm no keen on the idea of a psionic fucker turnin' me brain to mush, it's probably for the best that Ling gets a dose as well as LT. She can patch any of us vegetables up afterwards. Obviously we need LT up to be in charge." Griff gulped, swallowing his fears about a psionic turning him into a gibbering fool.

‘We should keep the other dose til we need it,’ I suggest. ‘Did you want to keep it Ling?’

"Oh aye, ah dinnae mean pop em right this moment."

"How long will these doses retain their effectiveness once we pop 'em?"

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back