Stay Frosty II - Hitching a ride

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
"So does anyone have any idea how we get to the ship's controls so we can steer this wreck away from Pitstop?" Ling was looking at Griff as she asked this; as an engineer she figured he probably had the best knowledge of deckplans and such.

Well, the flamethrower may be important to keep at maximum as long as possible given their reaction to the wall of flame, so let's put it to a vote: rocket or satchel for the booby trap?
OOC: I would vote for rocket. The satchel does more damage, but the LAW combined with the grenades should be enough to do the trick, and that way we can save the satchel for later.

Potter grits his teeth as Ling heals him up. I thank her, switch on my light and take last spot in the marching order.

OOC: I would vote for rocket. The satchel does more damage, but the LAW combined with the grenades should be enough to do the trick, and that way we can save the satchel for later.
OOC: We don't have any nades :sad:

"Err, yeah, err..." Griff's smile fades as he wracks his brain trying to remember if that info was ever provided to him. "Honestly I'm a little lost as to where we are. There might be some maintenance mapping terminals around that we could try and brute our way intae, that might give us an idea of where the Bridge's at."

Well, the flamethrower may be important to keep at maximum as long as possible given their reaction to the wall of flame, so let's put it to a vote: rocket or satchel for the booby trap?

I'd say keep the rockets for when we need the range.

"Okay, let's rig up this rocket so it explodes if those bastards get through this hatch and then let's beat it, orient ourselves, and figure out a way to the bridge," I say. "Griff, if we come across any terminals or displays, see if you can pull up some schematics or something. Everybody look sharp."

Is the maintenance shaft large enough for the nine-foot spaceturds to use to travel through?

Is the maintenance shaft large enough for the nine-foot spaceturds to use to travel through?
Looking around Raúl estimates that the creatures would have to stoop to fit in here as it is about seven foot.

Okay, let's rig up the booby trap and then move down to the junction and see what we can find to guide us to the bridge. Maybe we can just turn on the self-destruct mechanism and escape in our strike sphere, Pitstop be damned.

Sounds good as we don’t have any grenades I’ll have to use one of my rockets and do so.

OOC: As the resident Engineer, I can try handling the explosives, with the help of my Toolkit

[Going with rocket from Raúl's order, let me know if I'm wrong]

Griff takes the rocket from Potter and carefully examines it. Using his toolkit he manages to extract enough explosive powder to make a crude bomb and attach it to the hatch and then set up a rudimentary motion detector.

He then slowly reseals the rocket and hands it back to Potter.

[Griff's roll good enough to extract compound from rocket. Potter still has LAW but damage reduced from 5d6 to 3d6]

Griff offers Potter a wink in the lowlight. "See? I ken howtae make an effective boom, ah tell ya. Err, I mean, I know howtae. Anyways here's yer rocket back. Won't be as devastatin' but at least yer not firin' blanks."

Last edited:
"...at least yer not firin' blanks."
"That's not what I heard," I say. "You got your pitito fixed, Potter?" Pointing my weapon-mounted tactical flashlight down the passage, I start towards the nearest sign to see if we can get our bearings and figure out which way we should go from there.

'Hope that it's worth it,' I say and move out with the rest.

Reaching the junction Raúl's flashlight reveals the following on the signs:

Left: Kitchen
Right: Security
Continue ahead: First Class rooms

Reaching the junction Raúl's flashlight reveals the following on the signs:

Left: Kitchen
Right: Security
Continue ahead: First Class rooms
"Whaddaya think? Security sounds like it should have surveillance monitors or at least diagrams, maybe access to the ship's 'puter. Maybe we can detect where these turds are and seal off some hatches to keep them away for a while, or minimize the number we have to deal with. Maybe shut down life support in their areas--assuming they need it."

"Aye, I agree with security. That might even have a direct route tae bridge... Y'know, fer security purposes."

"Yeah, maybe we can score some more ammo while we're there."

The group head down the maintenance shaft turn right and head onto security. As they continue they feel a chill in the air.

After about four minutes they reach a dead end with a ladder that leads to a hatch similar to the one they had entered. The keypad looks fancier but that's about it and Raúl now knows the basic trick to all of them.

More unusual is the frost that covers the ladder.

"Wait! Don't open that. I've got a horrible feelin' it might be depressurized. We aren't wearin' our EVA suits so we'd get frozen tae fuck and explode an shite."

Griff sees if there is any readout he can access to confirm whether the other side of the hatch is exposed to space.

"Wait! Don't open that. I've got a horrible feelin' it might be depressurized. We aren't wearin' our EVA suits so we'd get frozen tae fuck and explode an shite."

Griff sees if there is any readout he can access to confirm whether the other side of the hatch is exposed to space.
Unfortunately Griff doesn't spot a terminal or anything similar nearby to confirm his suspicions.

I'll climb up the ladder and look to see what's on the other side, unless the ladder seems dangerous in itself for some reason.

Raúl climbs up the ladder and uses his algorithm on the hatch. When the magnetic locks release he can see into the security room through a small glass aperture in the hatch without needing to lift the hatch itself.

Floating in mid-air rotating slowly is a being with black chrome skin. It roughly has the same form as the other beings but an extra set of heads are mounted onto its back.

Raúl can see the space about it wobbling and the rest of the room looks frozen. There is no visible hull breach in the room. He can't make out any console readings or other signs that would indicate the status of the atmosphere to him.

Last edited:
Raúl climbs up the ladder and uses his algorithm on the hatch. When the magnetic locks release he can see into the security room through a small glass aperture.

Floating in mid-air rotating slowly is a being with black chrome skin. It roughly has the same form as the other beings but an extra set of heads are mounted onto its back.

Raúl can see the air about it wobbling and the rest of the room looks frozen.
I'm not sure I follow...is this still inside the spaceship? Can I see if there's a hull breach or otherwise tell if there's an atmosphere in there?

I'm not sure I follow...is this still inside the spaceship? Can I see if there's a hull breach or otherwise tell if there's an atmosphere in there?
OOC: Sorry rewrote the post there to be clearer. Yeah still inside the ship, basically Raúl can see into the Security room through a window in the hatch without opening the hatch. You can't see a hull breach only that the room is frozen. It's not currently possible to be sure of the atmosphere

Last edited:
"Well, I still think getting in there would help a lot. But maybe we should check out the kitchen and first class to see if we can find anything useful before we wake Sleeping Beauty potentially at the cost of lives."

Last edited:
OOC: is the frost on the hatch more consistent with the other side being a vacuum, or the other side having an atmosphere and just being really, really cold?

I'm hoping that Ling has spent enough time on these types of vessels to maybe recognize and/or science her way through the answer.

OOC: is the frost on the hatch more consistent with the other side being a vacuum, or the other side having an atmosphere and just being really, really cold?
Ling uses her medkit to perform a chemical and thermal analysis of the frost. As far as she can tell the ladder frost is condensation from the air and froze in the last hour or so. The kind of freezing is more consistent with the atmosphere on the other side of the hatch being extremely cold at some point in the last hour.

"Boss, I'm pretty certain there's an atmosphere in there," Ling says to Rodriguez. "Given how high temperatures seem to adversely affect them, it makes sense they might prefer colder temperatures."

"Also, Griff, bodies don't actually explode in vacuum. I slept through half the classes in Basic and even I remember that part." Yes, basic training is where she had learned this... and not from ejecting someone out through an airlock... and then watching them die slowly.

Last edited:
"Also, Griff, bodies don't actually explode in vacuum. I slept through half the classes in Basic and even I remember that part."
Looking sheepish, Griff shrugs. "Maybe I got mixed up with a film then, ah dinnae ken."

"Boss, I'm pretty certain there's an atmosphere in there," Ling says to Rodriguez. "Given how high temperatures seem to adversely affect them, it makes sense they might prefer colder temperatures."

"Also, Griff, bodies don't actually explode in vacuum. I slept through half the classes in Basic and even I remember that part." Yes, basic training is where she had learned this... and not from ejecting someone out through an airlock... and then watching them die slowly.
"Let's open the hatch a crack and incinerate it with my flamethrower!" I say. "Somebody open the hatch just enough while I aim my flamethrower to send that creep back to Hades. If a vacuum starts sucking our air out, we'll slam it shut." After a short pause, I add, "And if we all die, blame Ling."

[Going to take Potter as the hatch opener, he got a crit on opening the hatch]

Potter lifts the hatch completely silently. Raúl carefully aims at the being's head and lets lose a stream of napalm. The entity's cranium bursts in a shower of grey goo that lands all over the consoles in the Security Room. The wobbling effect about its body ceases, but its headless corpse continues to float in the air.

Looking around Potter can the room contains the following:
East wall: Security monitors currently switched off
West wall: Exit Door
North wall: A set of two lockers with security pads
South wall: Mini kitchen with coffee machine and fridge

The hatch itself that Potter is holding open is located in the corner between the South and West walls.

"Let's switch on those security monitors after we check for booby traps or other tricks."

"Let's switch on those security monitors after we check for booby traps or other tricks."
There doesn't seem to be any traps in the room when Raúl checks.

The monitors are arranged in three rows of three. They all have labels with a number indicating row (1,2,3) and a letter indicating column (A,B,C). Raúl sees a switch and flips it with five monitors coming to life.

1A: What appears to be a large kitchen. Pots and pans are scattered everywhere and the dead bodies of eight chefs are visible. Five of the beasts prowl the kitchen opening and closing presses as if searching for something.
1B: A swimming pool, dimly lit by blue lighting within the water. A sauna lies next to the pool along with some lounging chairs. Just outside the sauna a torn officer's uniform is sitting in a pool of blood
2B: Corridor outside guest rooms. Twelve guest room doors are visible. A very large creature prowls the corridor. About twelve foot in height with four thick chitinous legs and block like arms that glow red.
2C: A sparse white airlock room with two spacesuits sitting in pods.
3C: What looks like a restaurant lit with a purple light. Fancy chrome black tables are tossed and piled against the door. Ten people are inside, two with guns trained on the doors.

There doesn't seem to be any traps in the room when Raúl checks.

The monitors are arranged in three rows of three. They all have labels with a number indicating row (1,2,3) and a letter indicating column (A,B,C). Raúl sees a switch and flips it with five monitors coming to life.

1A: What appears to be a large kitchen. Pots and pans are scattered everywhere and the dead bodies of eight chefs are visible. Five of the beasts prowl the kitchen opening and closing presses as if searching for something.
1B: A swimming pool, dimly lit by blue lighting within the water. A sauna lies next to the pool along with some lounging chairs. Just outside the sauna a torn officer's uniform is sitting in a pool of blood
2B: Corridor outside guest rooms. Twelve guest room doors are visible. A very large creature prowls the corridor. About twelve foot in height with four thick chitinous legs and block like arms that glow red.
2C: A sparse white airlock room with two spacesuits sitting in pods.
3C: What looks like a restaurant lit with a purple light. Fancy chrome black tables are tossed and piled against the door. Ten people are inside, two with guns trained on the doors.
I use my toolkit to see if we can get 1C, 2A, 3A, and 3B working. Whether or not we can, I'll then look for any schematics of the ship as well as any security controls for hatches, ventilation, life support, etc.

Whilst LT is doing officer things, Griff takes it upon himself to try and weld open the Security lockers, carefully so.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back