Stay Frosty III - Interest Check

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Séadna

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Okay so the third game of Stay Frosty. A game that attempts to explore the human condition by analysing what drives a person to kill millions of aliens. It's an OSR ruleset focused on doing point crawls of interstellar marines trapped in weird locations, like Starship Troopers, Aliens or the Doom games. Summary of game here and two previously run games here and here.

The scenario is that you are called to a resort on a jungle planet. The resort houses a luxury hotel, a zoo and grounds for a hunting safari. The safarai big game and zoo housed mean critters taken from all over the universe such as the Necro-hunter and Warp-bleeder! Unfortunately the park has gone quiet as of late and the non-marine rescue team hasn't reported back either.

Get the wealthy survivors and get out.

Sounds fancy. Is this PbP?

Edit - Duh, check the links.

Can I scream Game over man! Game over! at some point? If so I'd love to play.

Honey. We're all redshirts ...
You find fragments of a torn red shirt.
I've been wearing my red shirt in the tropical sun long enough that it's now kinda pink. Perhaps I'll call my character Sharpe...

With regards to characters some of you already have characters, so you can either keep them (in which case I'll give you some new stuff they've earned) or if you want to roll a new less experienced marine no problem.

For those who are new Char Gen rules are below in the spoiler.

Making characters is very simple:

1. Roll 3d6 four times for your four stats (Brains, Brawn, Dexterity, Willpower). Lower is better.
  2. Roll 1d6 for you rank (1-3 Private, 4-5 Sergent, 6 Lieutenant)
  3. Roll 1d6 + 4 for Health

Then pick a career, square brackets is a requirement for the career:
Armour
Cyber [Brains 11]
Engineer [Brains 11]
Infantry
Intelligence [Brains 10]
Medical [Brains 9]
Psi Ops [Will 8]
Spec. Ops [Everything 10]

In brief all the careers give you an advantage when doing a check related to their area, advantage being roll 2d20 and keeping the best. They also give you some goodies when starting. Psi Ops gives you access to psychic powers.

I'll be throwing in a few more starting goodies that'll depend on how the party is composed.

Just follow Rodríguez's simple survival rules: trust no one and kill everything you meet, then set the place to blow while you flee. :thumbsup:
Otherwise known as Maxim #1:

Pillage, then burn.

Gotta play Ling again, of course.

After all, there are still some drugs out there in the universe she hasn't tried yet.

Okay, I rolled up a character. I can reroll using a die roller or whatever if that needs to be a thing. Here's what I rolled, and I have no real idea what's good or not.

Brains: 13
Brawn: 10
Dexterity: 8
Willpower: 8

Health: 6

I don't know about a career, is Psi Ops neat? That's the only thing I qualify for other than Infantry. The general gist I'm getting, if low is good, is that I'm a kinda dumb frail gymnast who might have spooky powers.

I'm willing to help whittle down that list of drugs btw. I've pretty much killed the psychotropic bucket list, but I still have some empty boxes.

A none-too-bright psychic with a taste for drugs...?

Awesome! I see no possible way this could end badly!

A none-too-bright psychic with a taste for drugs...?

Awesome! I see no possible way this could end badly!
I was angling for either glory or a bad end. I'm happy to play the bad ending bit to the hilt. :shade:

fYQn64bMuP5kYoQvmPDCShzF1WZ.jpg

So Raúl has gotten a bit brainier:
Brains: 7+
Brawn: 9+
Dexterity: 5+
Willpower: 10+

Health: 20

He has his original equipment:
Gear:
Back-and-breast armor
Helmet
Infantry rifle
Rations
Extra ammo
Toolkit
Flamethrower

Special abilities:
The old one. Once per encounter with enemies Raúl can give one other an advantage from his orders.
And a new one. He can act twice per round in combat rather than once.

Also he now has two gravity bombs. When detonated the local gravity in an area circa 20' in radius increases to 10G. If detonated together this is instead 100G.

Last edited:
Ling today:
combat medic.jpg

Younger Ling:
HanakobyNightcrop.JPG

So for Ling we have an increase in Brawns and Willpower.

Brawn:
12+
Dexterity: 9+
Willpower: 11+

MOS:
Medic

Health: 17

Gear
Back-and-Breast armour
helmet
infantry rifle (1d8 ammo die)
combat knife
rations
medpack (1d8 supply die)
shotgun
combat drugs

Ling also now possesses the special ability "The Beast". As a result of her experiences last time and some work from the fine people in biotech, Ling can transform into a posthuman bipedal tank with naturally armoured skin. The downside is that the process drains her health while active and there is a risk of permanent injury and even death.

Last edited:
515550F9-155E-4362-8D8A-01CE94BCF825.jpeg

So Potter is now Brawnier and with more Willpower

Brains: 11+
Brawn: 7+
Dex: 9+
Willpower: 8+

MOS: Psi-Ops

Carry: 13

Health: 24

Special Abilities: Advantage on Battle of Wills (Battle of Wills is basically anything you do in a fight to throw your enemy off, i.e. Intimidation or distraction. If succesful they have a disadvantage on their next attack)
New Ability: Act twice per round

Gear:
Swagger Stick
Back-and-Breast armour
Helmet
Infantry rifle
Rations
Motion Tracker
Scope
LAW (Light Anti-Tank Weapon )

Also Potter has manifested psionic abilities. A combination of dormant natural talent and his experience in the last mission and grueling psi-op surgeries. These powers are:

Remote Viewing. See a location you've been to previously
Telekinesis. Move and throw objects of base weight up to 50kg. -1 to the activation roll for each additional 25kg.
Cyber Telepathy. Mental contact with AIs.
Teleport. Very draining with a potential health loss even when successful. Potter can move himself up to 1km. -2 to the roll for each additional person taken along.

Last edited:
Okay, I rolled up a character. I can reroll using a die roller or whatever if that needs to be a thing. Here's what I rolled, and I have no real idea what's good or not.

Brains: 13
Brawn: 10
Dexterity: 8
Willpower: 8

Health: 6

I don't know about a career, is Psi Ops neat? That's the only thing I qualify for other than Infantry. The general gist I'm getting, if low is good, is that I'm a kinda dumb frail gymnast who might have spooky powers.

I'm willing to help whittle down that list of drugs btw. I've pretty much killed the psychotropic bucket list, but I still have some empty boxes.
Infantry have a chance to get a heavy weapon and get to reroll damage rolls of 1.

Psionics have the powers. Potter ( Voros Voros 's marine) now has Psionics as well, but there are still other powers he doesn't possess that are useful (e.g. Healing, Mind Stab). If you don't have the rules and want psi-ops I'll random roll non-overlapping powers.

Last edited:
Team loot:
Depending on what you encounter and how things are going you may receive vehicle drops. These include tanks and combat walkers. I'll post the relevant details when they arise.
All vehicles are slaved to blow with significant force on a command word issued by Raúl of Dumarest's choosing.

Gunnery Sgt. Archibald "Shank" Gatsby

Archetype: Crusty old sergeant has been doing spec ops work for about 25 years now. Science is powerless to explain why he hasn't been retired.

Brains 9
Brawn 8
Dex 10
Will 9

Rank Sergeant
Health 9
Branch: Spec Ops

tropic-thunder-nick-nolte-date-2008-K3JDA6.jpg

So for Ling we have an increase in Brains and Willpower.

Brawn:
12+
Dexterity: 9+

MOS:
Medic

Health: 17

Gear
Back-and-Breast armour
helmet
combat knife
rations
medpack (1d8 supply die)
shotgun
combat drugs

Ling also now possesses the special ability "The Beast". As a result of her experiences last time and some work from the fine people in biotech, Ling can transform into a posthuman bipedal tank with naturally armoured skin. The downside is that the process drains her health while active and there is a risk of permanent injury and even death.
So was it Brains or Brawn that was increased? Because looking at the numbers it looks like the latter, not the former (I'm fine with either).

Also, any particular game mechanics for unleashing the Beast that I need to know about?

So was it Brains or Brawn that was increased? Because looking at the numbers it looks like the latter, not the former (I'm fine with either).
Sorry it was Brawn. I'll correct that above.

Also, any particular game mechanics for unleashing the Beast that I need to know about?
Mechanics are here:
Brawn and dexterity reduced by 5 each to 7+ and 4+. Advantage on all saves and act four times per combat round.
Drains 2 Health per round with a 5% risk of serious injury on activation.

Gunnery Sgt. Archibald "Shank" Gatsby

Archetype: Crusty old sergeant has been doing spec ops work for about 25 years now. Science is powerless to explain why he hasn't been retired.

Brains 9
Brawn 8
Dex 10
Will 9

Rank Sergeant
Health 9
Branch: Spec Ops

tropic-thunder-nick-nolte-date-2008-K3JDA6.jpg
So your abilities are:
Advantage on one damage roll per fight.
Ignore one Tension [You're a calm dude]

Equipment:
Back-and-Breast armour
helmet
rations
Grenade Launcher [Means grenades can be tossed at Long distance, not just medium. d4 Ammo Dice of grenades.]
Scope [Increases the range of your rifle from Medium to Long]

d4 ammo dice means I roll each time you fire and on a 1 or 2 you run out of grenades. So expect about two shots until/if you find more grenades.

So your abilities are:
Advantage on one damage roll per fight.
Ignore one Tension [You're a calm dude]

Equipment:
Back-and-Breast armour
helmet
rations
Grenade Launcher [Means grenades can be tossed at Long distance, not just medium. d4 Ammo Dice of grenades.]
Scope [Increases the range of your rifle from Medium to Long]

d4 ammo dice means I roll each time you fire and on a 1 or 2 you run out of grenades. So expect about two shots until/if you find more grenades.
A bug hunt? I should be retiring on a cushy book deal by now. Oh, right. That's the SEALs. Never mind.

I love the marines. Every paycheck a fortune, every meal a feast. Another day in the fecking corps.

Last edited:
Sure, let's go psiops. Roll away sir.
Equipment:
Back-and-Breast armour
Helmet
Infantry rifle (1d8 ammo die)
Rations (at d12 supply dice)
Combat Drugs (d6 supply dice)

Powers:
Mind Stab: Mental Attack dealing 2d8 damage to sentient biological entities
Pyrokinesis: 3d8 flame damage which causes terror. You can enhance it to add Blast or Heavy Weapon effects. -2 to roll each, or -4 if you add both.
Healing: Heal 1d10 + 1 HP. Cannot heal yourself.
Chronokinesis: Stop time. -2 to roll for each person taken with you. Effect lasts for 10 subjective seconds. High risk of serious injury [25%]

Blast means 1d3 others near target are hit. Heavy Weapon means it can damage vehicles or beasts with vehicle level natural armour.

Dexterity and Willpower went up and some new abilities.

20190503_233745.jpg

Name: McGriffin aka "Griff"

Brains: 11+
Brawn: 8+
Dexterity: 10+

MOS: Engineer

Carry: 13

Health: 15

Gear:
Back-and-Breast armour
Helmet
Infantry rifle
Rations
Satchel Charge
Toolkit
Motion Tracker
Targeting Reticule (+1 to Ranged Attacks)

Ability:
Astromech. Due to latent genetic talent and severe injuries, the former discovered and the latter inflicted during the last mission, Griff has been augmented into an astromechanic. Circuitry runs through his body with small circuit diagrams visible around the eyes and finger tips. This allows an advantage on dealing with human tech and no disadvantage when dealing with xeno-technology.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back