Storytelling to ORE conversion

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Imperator

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Hi all.

The other day, playing Giovanni Chronicles IV, we had a very tense, very nasty firefight in our session. A rival Mafia family attacked one club with the PCs inside, and things went to hell quickly. Anyway, the combat was a slog, and my wife commented that it took too long, given that it was not such a big battle (4 mafia hitmen vs 3 PCs and a ghoul). And she's right, classic Storytelling system has been always slow when it comes to combat.

Of course, I would not have had this problem if I had run with my intuition and switched to Requiem system for this part of the campaign but, alas, didn't want to bother with the conversion, and we don't have that much combat in this campaign anyway. But it got me thinking.

Since I played ORE for the first time, using NEMESIS, I liked it. And in the surface, it is so similar to Storytelling that a conversion should be easy. But, for whatever reason, the task seems a bit daunting.

Do you know of any WoD-to-ORE conversion out there? Could we create one here, in the forum? What do you think?

Sorry dude I love Reign but my casual knowledge of WoD wouldn't help.

I remember there was a website doing oWoD to ORE years ago but my google-fu failed you :oops:

Last edited:
I don't know of one.

But I think what I'd do is try using WIld Talents as a base. Both because that has modern combat, but also because I think you could translate superpowers to disiplinces relatively easily.

I'd start by looking at the dice probabilities. If they are close to matching up, I'd consider actually converting things mechanically. If they don't, I'd just rebuild the WoD splats from scratch using ORE.

Let's take a look. HorusArisen's news about Reign yesterday got me pulling my ORE books off the shelf, so I am willing to play along. Obviously, I am ignoring things like botches in WOD, and hard and wiggle/expert dice in ORE, so these are very rough estimates. And ORE has the whole thing with multiple matches that we are ignoring too.

If I recall, oWoD went with a Difficulty number of 7 by default
Okay, going up by pool size and roughly rounded
  1. 39%
  2. 56%
  3. 65%
  4. 71%
  5. 76%
  6. 79%
  7. 82%
  8. 85%
  9. 87%
  10. 89%
And looking at ORE

1. 0%
  2. 10%
  3. 28%
  4. 50%
  5. 70%
  6. 85%
  7. 93%
  8. 98%
  9. 99.6%
  10. 99.9%
Yeah, that doesn't match up so well. I'd just rebuild the concepts in ORE.

As an additional note, Reign does have modern combat rules. They are in the "Out of the Violent Planet" setting in The Third Year of Our Reign. I'd also say that Esoteric DIsciplines, with their tidy paths, seem closer to the way vampire power mechanics work than the powers in Wild Talents.

I parted with my WoD books years ago though, so I can't try my hand at making vampire esoteric discipline from on in the original game. I'd be happy weigh in if someone else wants to try.

Check out THIS

Its Nemisis, ORE's horror adaption. Its not straight WOD conversion, a little more Cthulhu-inspired, but maybe a few steps further in the direction you're looking for

Interesting. I don't know Wild Talents. Care to elaborate?

Check out THIS

Its Nemisis, ORE's horror adaption. Its not straight WOD conversion, a little more Cthulhu-inspired, but maybe a few steps further in the direction you're looking for
I love Nemesis, it was my first Ore game. But the hardest part is translating Disciplines and the like.

Well, the scale is the same, but the percentage chances are very different. If this isnt an issue for you, you could do a straight import, but that would leave out the issue of wiggle and hard die. If you want to fully incorporate them, that is probably going to be a bigger endeavour, yeah. I did find a dead link to an ORE-nwod conversion circa 2011, but even the Wayback Machine couldn't pull it up unfortunately.

Last edited:
I might chime in later but this is my minimalist, just-the-core-mechanic take, off the top of my head:

• Retain Storytelling attributes, skills, disciplines, everything.
  • Cap all dice pools at 10.
  • Dice that come up 10s are no longer rerolled.
  • Dice after the 10th may be used to "buy" automatic 10s, like expert/hard dice (on a 2:1 exchange rate) or set to any desired result, like master dice (on a 3:1 exchange)
What say you all? How badly could it go?

Interesting. I don't know Wild Talents. Care to elaborate?

It is a superhero version of ORE with a relatively crunchy, point-buy power system. I don't think it really fits with WoD as well as Reign. Crunchy power design just isn't a WoD thing. The linear paths of Esoteric Disciplines and Martial Paths in Reign are a better model.

I might chime in later but this is my minimalist, just-the-core-mechanic take, off the top of my head:

• Retain Storytelling attributes, skills, disciplines, everything.
  • Cap all dice pools at 10.
  • Dice that come up 10s are no longer rerolled.
  • Dice after the 10th may be used to "buy" automatic 10s, like expert/hard dice (on a 2:1 exchange rate) or set to any desired result, like master dice (on a 3:1 exchange)
What say you all? How badly could it go?
Seems worth a spin to me.

Thinking on my last post, the probabilities are different, but the probabilities in WoD always felt wonky anyway, so using the same stats with the ORE system just might make them work better.

OK, I have Reign so I can check those paths...
Just to be clear, I don't think the particular paths in the book will match up. I just think they make a good template for adding vampire disciplines to.

Okay. I am revising my opinion. I think Wild Talents might be useful. I'd ignore the power creation mechanics, but the descriptions of effects would probably be useful for thinking about how to model disciplines in ORE. The digest edition would give you everything you needed.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back