Stratocaster (Slight Return)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The Overlöde: blighted by war and picked clean by the hunger for Ragnarok. Nowhere else has such a rich vein of this precious material. Even the Federation struggles against the forces that have been unleashed here. Once a region of high culture, the heart of which was Adamant Argentia; birthplace of the Amplifier Dragons. That world is believed a lost paradise; only the Mariners know for sure. They, like their Stratocaster charges, are lost. If you ever met one, chances are he’s lost his mind to Riff smoke, buried in dreams in a Noise Cantina somewhere within the Overlöde. But maybe he can navigate the Discordant Space awash within the Overlöde.

Discordant Space: twisted by the dark dimension known as Doomspace, Discordant Space is at odds with the universe and increasingly inimical to sanity and life. Those who sail close to it become Psycho Pirates. It is the above of the Heavy Elementals and their attendant Daemons. Cults of Doom have always existed, Doomspace is ageless; powerful lore has grown around the power of the Heavy Elementals, most notably the soul-twisting Morgothica Codices. Such power is sought by cultists, though the cost to know it is at least the soul of the supplicant.

Discordant Space: twisted by the dark dimension known as Doomspace, Discordant Space is at odds with the universe and increasingly inimical to sanity and life. Those who sail close to it become Psycho Pirates. It is the above of the Heavy Elementals and their attendant Daemons. Cults of Doom have always existed, Doomspace is ageless; powerful lore has grown around the power of the Heavy Elementals, most notably the soul-twisting Necrnomichorus. Such power is sought by cultists, though the cost to know it is at least the soul of the supplicant.

Discordant Space: twisted by the dark dimension known as Doomspace, Discordant Space is at odds with the universe and increasingly inimical to sanity and life. Those who sail close to it become Psycho Pirates. It is the above of the Heavy Elementals and their attendant Daemons. Cults of Doom have always existed, Doomspace is ageless; powerful lore has grown around the power of the Heavy Elementals, most notably the soul-twisting Morgothica Codices. Such power is sought by cultists, though the cost to know it is at least the soul of the supplicant.

Maybe a bit to Warhammer 40k esque, I might just leave it as sanity-twisting and get rid of Doom space/Codices.

Maybe a bit to Warhammer 40k esque, I might just leave it as sanity-twisting and get rid of Doom space/Codices.
I hear what you're saying. However, while it is a stale trope, it is an enduring one that I rather like.

Discordant Space needs to have some source though. So if not the warp Doomspace then something, and something cosmic scale.

I shall be changing the name of the Codex to the Necronomichorus. The function of this perhaps equally stale trope is to focus dark knowledge. Besides that aspect of the Cthulhu Mythos, for example, has always been one of its most appealing aspects. A tangible source with perahsp nominal explanatory power commensurate with its enthralling mystique. What does the Necronomichorus even contain? What powers does it have?

And of course it's a ridiculous portmanteau word of the kind needed here

How about: the Metal Wars and the battle for Ragnarok unleashed daemonic forces - the Heavy Elementals - who had been dormant since their defeat during an ancient cosmic war.

I might just stick with it being the Necronomicon, I'm pretty sure that's public domain now. Maybe the corruption of the book itself has infected space over the Millenium? What about a book of disturbing intrusive alternate reality geometries called the Discordium, or perhaps with the music them we could go with the Obscene Chord? The Black Riff, the Souldrinker Song?

Last edited:
I didn't change the name for copyright reasons, but to make it sound appropriate to the setting :grin:

Inter-Galaxus: once there was Adamant Argentia. But now it is in ruins. Surrounding space claims neutrality against the encroaching, Ragnarok-hungry, Solar Federation. This is the territory of the mysterious cartel calling itself Inter-Galaxus. What is their connection to the Star Luthiers of old? Are the Barons of Inter-Galaxus aligned with the forces of the Heavy Elementals? Are they the gatekeepers to the now-haunted ruins of Adamant Argentia?

Remember Tomorrow: this is the credo of the Anarchs. Those that are outcast and bereft following the Metal Wars. Many have turned to Inter-Galaxus for a home and a new purpose, but some have been chosen by lonely Stratocasters. Both survivors of a terrible galactic war. You’ll often see this scrawled in lonely corners of the streets of Megagard, as well as whispered in the gambling halls and Riff dens of Inter-Galaxus.

"The Hurlant Empire lasted a thousand years along with its seemingly immortal Emperor; the blessed of the Amplifier Dragons. Born of war, the gods seemingly decreed war should also be the means of its demise.
The death throes Hurlant Emperor tore apart the stars. The Scream, as it is known, exists across space creating a vast rift of Discordant Space. Only the Hyperborean Eye, the last independent core of an Amplifier Dragon, keeps civilisation alive, facilitating travel across the Scream. The Gate, preserved by the Amplifier Cult, is now kept at the heart of Warlock Station.
This last battle took place in orbit of the imperial capital, Megagard. The skies writhed as galactic fleets fought. Megargard is now the sole source of Ragnarok. The Metal Wars ended over Megagard. The conflict started over dwindling sources of Ragnarok. As a consequence they destroyed more than they saved: Heavy Worlds were created from the ruins of stripmined world. Eventually the fight was taken to Megargard. By this time the nascent Solar Federation was ascendant. The conflict was all but over, the Hurlant Emperor refused surrender and ended his reign - and his empire - in fire leaving the Federation to take Megagard.
Thus ended the Metal Wars"

- I found this amid the liner notes for an unknown album by a mercurial group history knows only under the name, Stratocaster

Last edited:
"Seven Deadly Sins, Seven Ways to Win"

Warmonger (possibly Neon Knight, though perhaps too on the nose): sanctioned by the galactic mercenary guild called the Warchestra, you FIGHT! Empowered to Warspasm (from Slaine's Warp spasms, inspired by Irish myth) and equipped with War Runes you fight for glory. Specifically the popularity of your recordings uploaded to the galactic network. There is only war...and views.

Electric Mage - combining mystical tech with the recorded power of the extradimensional magical force known as the Electric Ether, you case spells. Traditionally Magi would venture into places filled with Distortion, where the EE bleeds through. Using Sci-Vinyl you record those and play them back(wards) to cast spells. Yes this is weird.

Amplifier Alchemist - scouring the galaxy for the lost tech of the Amplifier Dragons you deal with and likely work for Tech Barons. Scrounging from them what you can to pursue your own tech projects. This tech is highly prized and much of your time is spent fighting over caches and trying to sell as little as possible to the Barons.

Mariner - ancient pilots of the legendary Stratocaster ships, largely now bereft. Your use of Riff smoke to expand consciousness and navigate is still a valuable skill. Maybe you can find one of the surviving Stratocasters and complete yourself. Otherwise you can stay here and listen to the nightmares of the stellar sea. You may or may not speak in rhyme.

Doomcaster - legendary Doomhenge is the home of this strange and feared cult. You are arbiters of prophecy, read in the bloody cards of the Doomdeck. You were present when Imperial Hurlant fell and your proximity foretells...DOOM! Curse those who cross you for yours is a terrible but necessary burden in these benighted times.

Re-Daemon-ed - a creature corrupted by the power of Discord you are conscripted by the Church Galactica. Fitted with a Contrition Collar you use your powers to earn redemption by serving communities as police, prosecuting the Church's Book of Law. You have daemon powers as well as access to the Church's impressive armoury, the Canon. In return the Church takes a tithe from communities it polices (whether they like it or not). Maybe one day you'll earn forgiveness.

Prophet of the Hawkwind - well this is where it gets weird. This is a slot for a priest type class. Just not entirely sure what to fit. I do like the word Hawkwind (the band I can honestly take or leave :grin: although Levitation is a great album).

Got it:

Prophet of the Hawkwind - the chorus of the hawkwind sings mightily. The Hawkwind is the Great Saga of the Stars, kept and passed down through oral and choral tradition, to which subsequent members contribute. Much knowledge is bound within the Song of the Hawkwind and those who maintain it are enjoyed for their performative skills and their knowledge. Minstrel historians of the cosmos.

These are the character types

Let's talk about Factions.

Imperial Loyalists - the faded heirs of the last Hurlant Emperor. In truth they are his fractious offspring, largely genetically manipulated. Or were, the fall of the Empire has left them in dire need of their Ragnarok-fuelled gene alchemy. They control a few worlds and fight amongst themselves for the favour of the few generals and merchant lords loyal to them, feeding from a sickening teat. Time is not on their side.

The Sinquisition - the galactic faith is of course corrupt and decadent given the fall of Imperial Hurlant. Now the Holy Triumvirate are but one man; the Omnipope who controls the Church Galactica. The militant wing thereof is the Sinquisition who conscript those bearing one of the seven marks of sin: the taint of Discord. We know such beings, soulless, as Daemons. They can earn forgiveness through service as a reDaemoned. Marshalls of the Sinquisition are Crucifixed; made safe (just not to their enemies) by means of a Jericho Collar. They use their powers under strict license protecting the faithful, in return for a generous planetary tithe (souls?) made to the Omnipope. His fief is of course an almighty Cathedral world, Seraphicus, where city-choirs sing his praises endlessly. For the Omnipope!

Dude, write this. Get the game system. Make it, I'll buy.
Thanks! I will endeavour to do so

The Wolves of Ragnarok - led by the False Emperor, Fenris of Hurlant. He is the head of the squabbling remains of Hurlant, too weak to challenge for power amid the ruins of Megagard. Fate has spared them though, marked by the Technopagan priests of Chrome Cruach, the Wolves of Ragnarok, the greatest of the evil cults active, sees Fenris as their dark messiah. Their deliverer. He is now their leader, yet the real power remains with the priests who flatter Fenris with enough Ragnarok to stave off genetic decline, but not enough to prevent Discord mutation.

The dice system needs to be d12.
Roll a 11 and get an auto success. I don't need to explain why

The Torque Armada

Smashing through space, causing damage to the fabric of reality and thus spreading Discord, the Armada uses bludgeoning sonic force of Distortion Drives. They are mutants and heretics who raid and pillage. They are directed by powerful Sonic Shamans who hear the call of the Heavy Elementals.

Last edited:
The Rock of Ages - alone, somewhere in the depths of the warped space known as the Overlöde, the birthplace of the Stratocasters. Here, a portal to the Electric Ether shrouded in endless lightning, are the graveyards of the Amplifier Dragons. Many Alchemists and Agents of Fortune aspire to plunder its terrifying depths, riding the lightning. At the heart of this vast screaming planetoid, also known as the Eye of Hurlant, is the Celestial Axe. The living forge that turned the wreckage of the Dragons, cast down by the Heavy Elementals, into the mighty starships known as Stratocasters. Few claim to know the location of the Rock, and of those even fewer can be trusted.

Agents of Fortune - Doctor D was once a famed astrologer in the court of the last Hurlant emperor. His mysterious disappearance before boarding the flagship at the battle of Megagard is thus...predictable. Since then he has evaded galactic bounty hunters as well as the tender ministrations of the Imperial Remnant, founding a group of fortune tellers for hire: the Agents of Fortune.

i think this will replace the Hawkwind character class who i will repurpose folding them into the Doomcaster archetype.

Going to retool the Doomcaster archetype to prevent it clashing with Agent of Fortune.

Agents are more the astrologer type, which was sort of the Doomcaster's gig (only in a very THE END IS NIGH PRAISE THE EMPEROR kind of way, perhaps not that last part).

Doomcasters will focus on the power of the Heavy Elementals. Essentially using evil as a weapon against itself. So they are just as heretical, fear-inspiring and nutty as before. Now the Doomdeck will be use to capture the spirits of these Heavy Elements and draw power from them. Or something,

Was wondering if there need to be alien/non-human races. They would need to be iconic. COuld be derived from fantasy races - elves and dwarves. I'd rather than than a bunch of bizarre shit as there's enough of that already.

Was wondering if there need to be alien/non-human races. They would need to be iconic. COuld be derived from fantasy races - elves and dwarves. I'd rather than than a bunch of bizarre shit as there's enough of that already.
I'd go strange, but think "What would show up in Heavy Metal Magazine, or on an Album Cover from Rock that fits this vibe"

So Cyborgs? Maybe Skinless "Ghuls" showing just musculature (Eddie?) instead? And so on.
Possibly six-winged (no arms) and flaming eyes on their wings? Manipulative feet/talons? Non-humanoid (or mostly not) Cthulhu-esque things??

Who knows but give me some time I'll find art for inspiration (there was an artist interpreting angel descriptions with really way-out-there art, that made look like abstract concept made flesh--was kinda neat)

I'm reluctant to use Eddie as a race type. It's a little on the nose, which is something I'm trying to avoid as much as possible. Also, the ReDaemoned class (daemons being people tainted by evil and not actual demons) is the Eddie character type. - as seen on Somewhere in Time.

There's also mutants, known as Torques (which, coincedentally, sounds like...)

I'm reluctant to use Eddie as a race type. It's a little on the nose, which is something I'm trying to avoid as much as possible. Also, the ReDaemoned class (daemons being people tainted by evil and not actual demons) is the Eddie character type. - as seen on Somewhere in Time.

There's also mutants, known as Torques (which, coincedentally, sounds like...)
The whole thing is on the nose. Guitar names, bands and songs as factions, events and characters. You need to watch Cyborg with Vanne Damme, that's full o guitar names, too.

But seriously, you're in the cheese up to your neck. Just embrace it.

I agree. You might even have random tables that stir up Cenobite style imagery (I won't nod to the game that did this--because the system is terrible) but they can be fun or "pick from a list" as an option. Like blend of jet cycle and man, with chains of flame about his body and an eagle skull for his head.

I'm wondering how many factions/organisations are necessary.

Also thinking of making the Omnifaith (galactic church, if I haven't mentioned it before) as some kind of cynical corporate thing. After all how many eighties metal acts sang about poor old (not) Jimmy Swaggart :grin:

A corporate religion little bit inspired by 40k/metabarons and SLA Industries

I'm wondering how many factions/organisations are necessary.

Also thinking of making the Omnifaith (galactic church, if I haven't mentioned it before) as some kind of cynical corporate thing. After all how many eighties metal acts sang about poor old (not) Jimmy Swaggart :grin:

A corporate religion little bit inspired by 40k/metabarons and SLA Industries

Heh. I might not go with "Omni" because that was a cool science/sci fi magazine once upon a time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_(magazine) I'd hate to mix the two up here :grin:

(As a man of faith, and big science/sci fi nerd.)

Yes, Omni isn't the best choice. I'm thinking the Broadcast Church. But I don't know.

Yes, Omni isn't the best choice. I'm thinking the Broadcast Church. But I don't know.

Sadly Cyberpapacy is taken, what about the Temple of Transcendant Transmissions? Through in a not to Dianetics somehow, its run by actual aliens trying to control your mind.

I'm thinking it should be a Church devoted to Ragnarok. With the fall of Imperial Hurlant, the rise of the Solar Federation, and supply of Ragnarok diminishing, the Church consolidates its position and puts itself at odds with the Federation as everyone fights (again) over what remains.

So the galactic media network, broadcasting war for views and manipulating the masses, is run by the Karneval Nine. They may be a cult of Doom, which is a term dedicated to any evil cult that worships the Heavy Elementals.

The foremost of these vile entities, and the object of reverence to the Wolves of Ragnarok (who are the greatest such cult, ruled by a guy that looks suspiciously like Richard O Brien with the sort of cyberware you saw in the art of early 40k editions), is called Chrome Cruach.

The leader of the Solar Federation is proper.ly called the Voxfuhrer. He has his own Stratocaster. It's a bit like Shinzon's starship in Star Trek Nemeis, in that it's absurdly customised. It contains a full Amplifier Dragon skeleton, not just part of it (as all Stratocasters do, it's what drives them). However he doesn't know that it's possessed by Chrome Cruach, in fulfilment of Prophecy (the Nine Norns of DOOM). This impressive world smashing starship is called Arioch V, probably.

Since there are a couple of people kind enough to follow this, perhaps they might share some ideas for inspiration (comics, if any, would be a good start). I'm struggling to get the setting down. I find it very easy to get sidetracked and bogged down in minutae which isn't helpful because no one wants to read 200 pages of setting nonsense! Inclding me!

Having looked at Mork Borg, I think the style of that production would be perfect for something like this. Also note to self: if i ever finish this, kidnap the artist from Solar Blades and Cosmic Spells (or Kevin O Neill or Moebius).

I see you've read Slaine, have you read any Nemesis the Warlock? Seems close in tone to what you're going for, albeit fairly satirical. Perhaps a little bit Incal or Metabarons, too.

This will be a bit all over the place: Strontium Dog, Judge Dredd, for darker comics (anything Heavy Metal basically). Lauraline and Valerian (more hopeful, but VERY well done.) Starslammers, American Barbarian (Post-Apocalypse with an artist who manages to make surprisingly Kirbyesque work), Camelot 3000, Metabarons

Though supers (which I'm trying to stay away from there are still good ones to get inspiration from), Planetary, Spider-Man 2099, Graphic Novel: Dave Cockrum's The Futurians

Other non-comics: Batman Beyond Cartoon (Though you may want to watch Batman: TAS first few seasons because they're good and its the same Bruce Wayne.)

Books: Keith Laumer's Retief, and Bolo series, Hammers Slammers (same), Matadora Series (by Steve Perry IIRC.) All of the Eternal Champion Series, Princess of Mars (and other Barsoom titles), the Glen Cook Black Company series, also finally for this post is the pulpy, over the top, space opera series: Deathstalker.

Oh and to add to Deathstalker, his spy series (The Man with the Golden Torc?) has some wild ideas around magic and strange-matter, and more. Though none of his books rise above being very pulpy and sometimes silly. Though, there are some neat truly alien, and odd touches. Also Gemmell's fantasy series: Druss the Legend (Legend). Also the independent from series but still Gemmell written books: Knights of Dark Renown, and Morning Star.

Oh, and Green Lantern Far Sector is a very good "sci fi" story just utilizing a Green Lantern (a unique one) to tell the story. Oh and the webcomic Kill Six Billion Demons has crazy and wonderfully inspiring fantastic imagery.

Thanks very much. You didn't include (though I'm sure the Amplifier Dragons will forgive you) Nemesis the Warlock :grin: I mention because on the 2000ad website it is or was on sale. Half price the graphic novels digitally. Well worth it or the first two books. I can imagine the capitl of Imperial Hurlant, Megagard City, used to look a lot like Termight. Clearly also a huge influence on the Hive City concept of 40k.

Part of my issue is trying to conceptualise the Solar Federation within what is clearly a somewhat gothic baroque and Norse-mythologically influenced setting. Obviously we know where the idea came from (2112 by Rush, for those that don't know. The Solar Federation is the ideologically oppressive Ayn Rand influenced future society of the story).

Sadly Nemesis is not one I ran into over the years. Also, while the gameplay was horrendous there is the cyber-Norse setting of Too Human it had great cut scenes in the story. I've not watched them outside the game, but since there is that video I may spend an hour on it today.

Sadly Nemesis is not one I ran into over the years. Also, while the gameplay was horrendous there is the cyber-Norse setting of Too Human it had great cut scenes in the story. I've not watched them outside the game, but since there is that video I may spend an hour on it today.
Yes, the setting was interesting even if the game was not. The valkyrie saving your character upon death is inspiration for what are tentatively called the "Video Valkyries" which I haven't fully fleshed out. The idea goes along the lines of the media show that Warmongers sell their content to can, for a price (measured in ratings), send out the Video Valkyries to rescue you when you die.

The Metal Wars have ended, Imperial Hurlant is destroyed. It’s stranglehold on ever-dwindling Ragnarok apply is broken. New factions rise to stake a claim.

The destruction across Hurlant space was such that it gave birth to the Overlode. Now the only source of Ragnarok, the Overlode is blighted with Discordant Space. Born of Pandemonium Weapony unleashed during the Metal Wars, this is twisted space. Dangerous and filled with treasure

Factions part 1:

Rising from Hurlant’s ashes is the Solar Federation, an austere propaganda-driven state, led by the Vox Populist. It has significant assets and seeks to consolidate them by dominating the Overlode’s supply of Ragnarok. They have control over the Mjolnirite refineries once controlled by Imperial Hurlant. The Vox Populist’s propaganda is the Catechism of the Anthem; a state driven authoritarian agenda broadcast throughout their ever expanding space.

The Seven are the Ravens of Ragnarok. They have ever watched over this material at the behest of the Amplifier Dragons and their creators, the Metal Gods. There is a legend: the Seven Omens. A doom culminating in the return of the return of the Heavy Elementals should the Ravens be destroyed; one doom, one Omen, per Raven. The last emperor of Hurlant destroyed them. All bar one, rescued by the mysterious magus, Doctor Dee, who was declared a traitor for his actions. The Agents of Fortune, the faction he runs, serve and study the legends of the Omens. They work to forestall the final doom, but Dee fears it is inevitable - and then the Stratocasters returned!

For some reason I want a PC type called "Warpwolves." and I've no idea where that name came from.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back