Strife in Lake Superior: IC Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Riley smacks a palm against his face and pushes his empty bowl away. "Before we go any further with this," his tone is sardonic, "can I ask you to keep a secret?" He glares at Kyle. "I really hope I don't have to explain which one."

He sighs and returns to the subject at hand. "If we're going to be in this for the long haul, we can't be throwing around magic, especially if we're up against other magic users. We have to make it look like someone else is involved. Or even better, like some kind of accident. Someone kicked some wires loose while using the computer lab to be a moron, or whatever."

Riley smacks a palm against his face and pushes his empty bowl away. "Before we go any further with this," his tone is sardonic, "can I ask you to keep a secret?" He glares at Kyle. "I really hope I don't have to explain which one."

He sighs and returns to the subject at hand. "If we're going to be in this for the long haul, we can't be throwing around magic, especially if we're up against other magic users. We have to make it look like someone else is involved. Or even better, like some kind of accident. Someone kicked some wires loose while using the computer lab to be a moron, or whatever."

Kyle's eyes opened wide as he realized Riley wanted Alouette's identity to be a secret. So he nods sheepishly to both proposals.

"Well, there is the easiest method that I had already said, have a random student 'convinced' to pull the fuse box. It wouldn't exactly be untraceable, but considering that to the best of the research the headmistress is a Thyrsus, so it's not like she has the knowledge to figure out what happened outside of a student just doing that as some kind of prank unless she can identify the exact student and gets the notion to look at them with focused mage sight."

Nikki looks over to Kyle and shakes her head. "Forgive me but this person has asked that their identity remains unknown. Revealing their identity would mean betraying their trust. Besides, as I said, there is something I must do before I can ask for their help. I do promise to keep you informed should they agree."

OOC: I'm really sorry, I completely missed it!

Nikki looks over to Kyle and shakes her head. "Forgive me but this person has asked that their identity remains unknown. Revealing their identity would mean betraying their trust. Besides, as I said, there is something I must do before I can ask for their help. I do promise to keep you informed should they agree."

OOC: I'm really sorry, I completely missed it!

"All right, I won't pry," was the reply.

Rain pondered for a moment before speaking up. "This was a rather short meeting, and it doesn't exactly look like we've made a lot of plans. We should decide when we plan on meeting next before calling it done for the night."

"I think we got quite a lot done. We came up with a course of action for how to fix the most immediate problems, decided who might be the black horse in the upcoming elections, and came up with a specific course of actions we would need to follow in order to make sure that the college doesn't get in the way while the money transfer goes down.

"If you can think of anything else important that needs to be addressed than by all means, do go on."

Rain pondered for a moment before speaking up. "This was a rather short meeting, and it doesn't exactly look like we've made a lot of plans. We should decide when we plan on meeting next before calling it done for the night."

"What about next week?" Kyle said, letting a yawn, covered by his right hand, escape him.

Lilliana nodded her head in agreement. "We should probably head out now so that we aren't bothering Kyle anymore. It would be rude of us to overstay our welcome after all! I think we should all go and get some rest. We may not know everything, but being well-rested is super important as well. Thanks Kyle. For everything. I'm glad we got the chance to meet up with you. Without you, we would be lost without any idea of what to do to save the town. Your house is awesome by the way." His design choices were impeccable and his sense of style even more so. He really pulled his look off well and that was something to be admired. She wonders to herself about what secrets it might hold, but quickly dismisses those thoughts.

She smiles somberly as she realizes how much work they'll have to put in to save the town. It wasn't going to be an easy task when there were enemies on all sides and hateful people everywhere, but that was her mission and she couldn't ever let any of them down. Lilliana had to stay strong and hopeful for all of them if she was ever going to fix the problems plaguing the town. "Let's meet up the same time next week after we have at least tried to make a difference in the town! Together we'll be able to throw a wrench into the baddies' plans!" With that, Lilliana takes her leave and starts heading out of the mansion.

OOC: Chapter has ended. Have 1 Beat, which adds to the 4 Beats earned before to give 1 XP; and if you have earned any Luminous/Arcane Beats (which are interchangeable now), please tell me when and how on the OOC Thread?

Total Number of Beats: 5.

XP Gained: 1.

Riley puts aside the temptation to text his new friends, "I'm in", or something similarly dramatic. <I'm at the university. Where do you guys want to meet?> He was there to learn what they were up against before they dealt with the computer lab. His magical perception had already told him there were two powerful protective spells cast on the school, but those were more proof against magical problems than anything else.

((Collab Post between Templum Domini and Darinas; Crossover between Strife in Lake Superior and Crisis in Waveton))

Thompson Estate Study

Kyle Thompson would go to his study, and open the desktop computer that lay there, before opening an encrypted website whose coding was crafted by Princesses, Magi, and Demons (Not the Abrahamic kind, the Cyberpunk kind). This was used when he delved into matters that, though not immoral, per se, were unacceptable. And said matter was calling Dennis Machiel, the 'Apex' of Waveton. He would send a quick message to the guy, saying: Thompson Here; I need to talk about a business proposal. Can't meet you face-to-face. Get your webcam ready.

Machiel Inc.

Dennis Machiel was looking through the papers of his company. Every now and then, just working on his everyday job as a CEO was somewhat... relieving for him. He enjoyed feeding as much as any Beast, of course, but with all the supernatural things he had to deal with in his life, from his fellow Begotten to Nobles and the Darkness, it felt good, sometimes, to just practice an activity that reminded him part of him still was somewhat like a human being. As he was reading, a message popped on the screen on his computer. Machiel frowned as he recognized the name: Kyle Thompson. That was the name of a young man from the twin city of Breezeton, a Mage if he recall correctly. An orphan who had recently inherited a fortune from the death of his parents. He also had the reputation of being a playboy who enjoyed going to parties; basically a sort of male counterpart of Heather Anthon - though he doubted Kyle could possibly have an ego as big as Hearther's. Machiel had had the opportunity to talk with him before, obviously, but for the most part, they had not exactly been close friends or anything similar, and in fact he suspected the Mage was uncomfortable with his kind. What could be the reason behind this message? Opening the mail, he read it. A business proposal? Interesting... after thinking for a second, he typed a message of his own.

"Doing this. You can call in about 10 seconds."

He sent the message, then adjusted his webcam. It had been a while since he had the opportunity to talk with Family outside the Nobles. This should be... interesting.

Thompson Estate Study

As Kyle activated his webcam, he would clear his throat, trying to suppress the discomfort he did feel. He would then say, "Mr. Machiel, thank you for giving me your time."

A pause, before he continued, "Long and short of it is that Mayor Fitzhue is planning to start the Second American Civil War with Breezeton as a flashpoint. Sounds outrageous, but what I said is the truth. Will you believe me?"

A sigh from the young man, who obviously looked somewhat...flustered. "I am trying to get Mayor Fitzhue overthrown in a way that does not explode social tensions within the city - the same social tensions that he plans to use to create Civil War - and that way is the November mid-term elections in the US. I already have a candidate in mind, a Princess by the name of Alouette, but she needs support in her future campaign." A frown as Kyle's tone grew firmer. "Support from powerful quarters who can protect her from the Association of Dairy Farmers, the Lake University of Technology, and the Breezeton Neighborhood Watch that keeps watch over them both."

Another pause for effect. "But the most important thing is to remove Mayor Fitzhue from the equation should defeating him in an election fail...or succeed. Even then, I don't want him dead as it would force open the social tensions I mentioned. No, I want him taught a lesson."

Machiel Inc.

Machiel listened patiently to Kyle's explanations. He raised an eyebrow at the mention of Mayor Fitzhue's projects. A Second American Civil War? In 2018? That sounded ludicrous. Then again, these were Mages they were talking about; ludicrousness and defying reality practically was their hat in the Family. And from what he had heard, the social tensions in Breezeton were at their worst lately. He repressed an irritated groan when Kyle mentioned the Dairy Farmers and the Lake University. Both of these organizations had the reputation of being as obnoxious as one another, and had been practically tearing the city apart. He didn't particularly believed in that whole "teaching lessons" thing Isabella always was preaching about, but it was situations like that almost made him believe such a culture was justified. Almost.

Strangely, it appeared Kyle had read his mind (something that, considering he was a Mage, could very well have been literally true), as that was exactly his next point. He had not said it out loud, obviously, but the implication was here. Machiel allowed himself a small smile as he felt the Crooked Man shiver with anticipation. Kyle knew how to entice a Beast's Horror.

"This is most... interesting, Mr Thompson," he started. "Still, I admit I must raise concern regarding a few issues. You mentioned this candidate you want me to support is a Princess, correct?" He joined his hands. "As you might already know, we Begotten... haven't been in the best relationship with the Hopeful these last years. In fact, we have been at war since around the 90s; only two month ago did we manage to strike a Truce, and we are still struggling to have it respected. Now, I am not sure how different exactly Nobles in Breezeton are compared to in our own city, but... don't you think your friend would express some reluctance about receiving help from one of the Dark Mother's Children?"

Thompson Estate Study

Kyle's reply was, "That's the best part; she doesn't have to know. To her, you are just another CEO, one who can provide needed campaign funds and lobbying."

Machiel Inc.

Machiel was somewhat surprised by the Mage's answer; that was unexpectedly devious, from someone he would have expected to be more of an idealist. Clearly he didn't know Kyle Thompson as well as he thought.

He considered the offer for a moment. Usually, the Inguma wasn't particularly interested in human politics; they always felt like petty squabbles to him, with both candidates being just as bad as one another. Besides, he already had his hands full with supernatural politics. But here, there was more than that at play; if Kyle really was serious about this entire new Civil War story, then the results of Mayor Fitzhue's plans could have horrible repercussions on Waveton as well; racism and religous intolerance already were strong as it was, and a war would most likely intensify them. Conversely, there were actually strong benefits; aside from a golden opportunity to feed in a way that would not harm innocents, the Nobles in Waveton would probably happy to see him actively support of one of their own outside of Waveton. This could help solidify his position as an ally of the Hopeful, which could contribute to reinforce the Truce and establish a durable peace.

"Very well, Mr Thompson," he eventually said. "Ms Alouette will have my support in the upcoming elections, and I will be happy to help you deal with Mr Fitzhue regardless of the results. You have my word."

Thompson Estate Study

Kyle smiled widely, "Thank you; I trust it is as good as your bond." A yawn, covered by his hand. "And with that, I have to take my leave and sleep..."

"Um, nice job." Riley looks surprised, but also faintly appreciative. He falls in step with Megan, pointing toward the nearest entrance. "I figure we can grab a map of the school and have a look around. See what we're up against. After that, we can find the entrances to the maintenance areas."

"Well, that is certainly an idea. Although, I've been off campus for a year, I don't think that they would have changed the layout of the school terribly much from when I was taking a minor in Architecture. I would say that I know more about the layout of the school than anyone there, but I guess I never finished the class, and I didn't actually build the school, but I DID study the blueprints and that should be well enough a replacement for a map.

"But, the school is built like a tower with two garishly ugly side wings on the ground floor. The computer lab is on the third floor, and the maintenance room is in the basement, since it was over-designed in order to stand up against any wayward tornado that hits this part of the state, and it has an almost labyrinth for a basement that the entire student population can hunker down in, with the electrical junctions being close to the surface behind a locked door. The easiest place for everyone to meet up would be about a half mile off campus on the eastern dormitory, it's the closest housing to the school, and nobody tended to question new faces there."

Adrian was acting as self assured as she could possibly have been through a text message in a conversation she had invited herself into. Of course, she didn't make much in the way of shortening her conversation, she was paying for unlimited text and by god was she going to get her money back from it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back