[Supers] Background game

Nexus

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've tried this game thread on some other sites were its either done well or died a slow death. So let's roll the dice here on the rpgpub. :smile:

The Rules: First one person posts an image that is or could be a superhuman (villain, hero, cast member, whatever) Then others submit a name, powers and basic background. This doesn't have to include mechanics or be in a particular universe (though I've noticed something tends to happen if the thread takes off). Once three submission are done or a week has passed then the person that posted the original image picks the best description.

Then the author of the chosen best background can post an image and the process repeats. The selected winner can simply open the the floor for another picture from anyone. They still get to decide who wins that round unless they abstain. If there is no winner chosen for whatever reason, we can go by which background gets the most "Likes" or just reopen the floor for a new submission, first come, first server

Hopefully this will be fun and provide some inspiration for NPCs if nothing else.

I'll get the ball rolling with the first picture submission. 'Due' date is the 21st of June.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
COLDSORE
Real Name - Gabriel T. Harding
FIGHTING - Puny
AGILITY - Uncanny
STRENGTH - Typical
DURABILITY - Excellent
REASON - Puny
WITS -Typical
WILL POWER - Feeble

STAMINA - 50
PSYCHE - 6

Gabriel was a Figure Skater who was tossed out of the Olympics when it was discovered he'd been using steroids. Embittered and humiliated, Gabriel turned to drugs and sordid affairs as he became the posterboy of Tabloids and a laughingstock across the nation. Bottoming out, Gabriel broke into the local ice rink where he'd spent so much of his life training, and planned to commit suicide by drug overdose. Weeping on the ice, with the drugs not having the fatal effect desired, Gabriel's desperation led him to attempt electrocution by licking a wall socket.

Gabriel awoke the next morning to find the electricity, instead of killing him, had a weird reaction with the chemicals in his system, leaving him with strange new powers. Vowing revenge on the world that had scorned him, Gabriel adopted the name ColdSore and set about attacking professional athletes.

POWERS

FROST BREATH (Excellent) - Gabriel can emit a cold vapour from his mouth, causing Excellent Freezing damage.
ICE LICK (Uncanny) - Anything Gabriel licks with his tongue instantly Freezes
RESISTANCE-COLD (Fantastic)

Nexus

Legendary Member
Reaction score
You honestly think anyone can beat Coldsore? Done, move on, next picture! That was beautiful!
I want to give everyone a fair shot at least to avoid the impression its a race to get the first submission in. :smile:

Some folks might be getting cold feet, maybe fear of Coldsore's cooties. :grin:

Last edited:

robertsconley

Legendary Member
Reaction score
From my old Champions Campaign in the 1980s. That the letters MX on his chest.

robertsconley

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have several more as well. I kept a folder with all the material from those campaigns including character sheets.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
I don't mind acceding to someone else, gives me another chance to do a write-up

View attachment 10100

MOR-MAN X

FIGHTING - Good
AGILITY - Good
STRENGTH - Fantastic
DURABILITY - Fantastic
REASON - Typical
WITS - Excellent
WILLPOWER - Legendary

STAMINA - 100
PSYCHE - 38

Hyrum was a simple Pastor in Provo, Utah, until one day a tragic meteor shower killed his 17 wives. Distraught, he wandered into the Goblin Valley desert where he discovered a secret cave. It was here that he found a magical pair of mailed underwear. These enchanted briefs granted him extraordinary powers when he put them on. Seeing a new direction in life, he vowed to protect the world from the dangers of outer space.

POWERS
Flight - Excellent
Resistance (Salt) - Fantastic
Healing Hands - Excellent
Cosmic Awareness - Puny

WEAKNESSES - Chafing

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
MX.jpg
MX: The Flying Crayon

Fighting: Typical
Agility: Typical
Strength: Typical
Endurance: Excellent
Reason: Typical
Intuition: Typical
Psyche: Typical

Popularity: 20
Resources: Typical
Health: 38

Powers:
Posterior Colored Gas Emission: Amazing
Flight: Typical

Contacts: Ronald Reagan
Talents: None
Group Affiliation: Reagan's Raiders
81+xyK3QcAL__SY445_.jpg
Background:
A lowly clerk pushing papers on the LGM-118 Peacekeeper land-based ICBM project, also known as "Missile-eXperimental", in 1985 Warren Headly was depressed by his own mediocrity and resultant inability to advance in his career. Plagued by suicidal ideation, Warren decided to end it all by strapping himself to a test missile that was fired into an abandoned Crayola factory. However, rather than killing Warren, the unlikely combination of Warren's unique body chemistry, nuclear radiation, and melted crayons instead imbued Warren with the potentially useful ability to project gaseous colors from his rump with such force that his body is propelled upward. With practice, Warren discovered that he could use his colored gas for controlled subsonic flight. Finding an optimistic new lease on life, Warren donned a disguise and vowed to use his powers to fight crime and international terrorism as "MX: The Flying Crayon." After his success in foiling the Black-and-White Bandit became national news, Warren was recruited by the president to be a probationary member of Reagan's Raiders, the premier superhero team of the Chesapeake Bay Area.

Last edited:

Chris Brady

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I want to give everyone a fair shot at least to avoid the impression its a race to get the first submission in. :smile:

Some folks might be getting cold feet, maybe fear of Coldsore's cooties. :grin:
It's not that it's first. It's that it's absolutely priceless! it's the best thing I've personally read in a long time! I'm actually planning on using him (Once I change the system, as I'm running an ICONS game in a couple of weeks) with his history and personality as is!

Nexus

Legendary Member
Reaction score
It's technicqlly the 21st so, as everyone is agreement, may as well start the second round. There's 2 entries so we're already ahead. :grin: Deadline will be th 28th just to keep things simple.

Nexus

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to do any non-parody entries? :hehe:
I would hope but if folks are in a joking mood who am I to mandate they change? The Tick and The Mystery Men (and Umbrella Academy, the show at least, haven't read the comic are popular and run in a lighter mood) :smile:

Edit: Note to others interested: A character sheet is not required either from a specific rules set or in general.

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
Guerilla A. P. E.

FIGHTING - Good
AGILITY - Typical
STRENGTH - Good
DURABILITY - Good
REASON - Good
WITS - Typical
WILLPOWER - Excellent

Carlton is an ex-mercenary who fought in the jungles of Southeast Asia alongside a team of supers (Might Makes Right) trying to bring down the mysterious Dr. Anaconda. After losing his left arm in a snake pit, the team built him a new bionic one called the Armor Piercing Extremity (APE). It is a chain fed mini-railgun with incredible armor defeating capabilities.

POWERS and TALENTS
Stealth - Excellent
Firepower - Incredible (APE) Typical (Back-up Pistol)
Kung-fu Grip - Good
Boot traction - Decent

WEAKNESSES - APE Ammo is depleted uranium which makes him slightly radioactive and nominally dangerous to anyone standing to his left.

OHT

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Badly Drawn Boy

After being given a cybernetic arm with a throbbing hood on the end, Richard Thomas vowed vengeance against the world. Dressed in his spermatazoa pattern pyjamas and executioners hood, Richard walks the mean streets injecting unsuspecting passers-by with his truth 'serum'.

Sorry, *runs for cover*..... :hurry:

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Its the deadline so Ross Conley, as the last person to submit can pick the winner who'll put up the next picture.
Eh, just consider it a hopscotch from the first one. At this point I thjink we should take what we can get unless the thread catches on more than it has

Guerilla A. P. E.

FIGHTING - Good
AGILITY - Typical
STRENGTH - Good
DURABILITY - Good
REASON - Good
WITS - Typical
WILLPOWER - Excellent

Carlton is an ex-mercenary who fought in the jungles of Southeast Asia alongside a team of supers (Might Makes Right) trying to bring down the mysterious Dr. Anaconda. After losing his left arm in a snake pit, the team built him a new bionic one called the Armor Piercing Extremity (APE). It is a chain fed mini-railgun with incredible armor defeating capabilities.

POWERS and TALENTS
Stealth - Excellent
Firepower - Incredible (APE) Typical (Back-up Pistol)
Kung-fu Grip - Good
Boot traction - Decent

WEAKNESSES - APE Ammo is depleted uranium which makes him slightly radioactive and nominally dangerous to anyone standing to his left.
That's actually quite good, I'd use that in a game.

Badly Drawn Boy

After being given a cybernetic arm with a throbbing hood on the end, Richard Thomas vowed vengeance against the world. Dressed in his spermatazoa pattern pyjamas and executioners hood, Richard walks the mean streets injecting unsuspecting passers-by with his truth 'serum'.

Sorry, *runs for cover*..... :hurry:

Heh, this was a 2am sketch based on my memories of a toy I actually had when I was young. Even at that age I was surprised by how garish his outfit was. I wonder if @Endless Flight recognizes the influence?

Nexus

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Eh, just consider it a hopscotch from the first one. At this point I thjink we should take what we can get unless the thread catches on more than it has
Maybe you're right. The thread seems to have its leash anyway.

Endless Flight

Nerd
Administrator
Reaction score

That's actually quite good, I'd use that in a game.

Heh, this was a 2am sketch based on my memories of a toy I actually had when I was young. Even at that age I was surprised by how garish his outfit was. I wonder if @Endless Flight recognizes the influence?
Looks like you had one of the early G.I.Joe figures and used it for the base uniform.

Nexus

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I admit I'm disappointed the game format didn't work out (I found it more fun in the threads where it did work out) but hopefully the thread will survive in some form.

Nexus

Legendary Member
Reaction score
So what can someone come up with for this character?

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
So what can someone come up with for this character?

Blackjack

FIGHTING - Excellent
AGILITY - Good
STRENGTH - Good
DURABILITY - Good
REASON - Good
WITS - Excellent
WILLPOWER - Typical

Blackjack is a street level crimefighter with the ability to "shadow walk," which is using shadows to teleport to other shadows. This ability comes from the fact that his father is Erebus, the Greek god of Darkness. His mother was addicted to an arcane drug known as "shadow deep" and was being pushed by a death cult tied to Erebus. Erebus fell in love with John's mother in her dream state, and the relationship coupled with the drug drove her insane. Blackjack blames the drugs and the street for her death and uses his powers and martial arts for revenge.

POWERS and TALENTS
Stealth - Incredible
Nightvision - Incredible
Shadow walking/teleport - Good
Investigation -Good

WEAKNESSES - Shadow walking does not work in light/ in the absence of shadows

Chris Brady

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Blackjack

FIGHTING - Excellent
AGILITY - Good
STRENGTH - Good
DURABILITY - Good
REASON - Good
WITS - Excellent
WILLPOWER - Typical

Blackjack is a street level crimefighter with the ability to "shadow walk," which is using shadows to teleport to other shadows. This ability comes from the fact that his father is Erebus, the Greek god of Darkness. His mother was addicted to an arcane drug known as "shadow deep" and was being pushed by a death cult tied to Erebus. Erebus fell in love with John's mother in her dream state, and the relationship coupled with the drug drove her insane. Blackjack blames the drugs and the street for her death and uses his powers and martial arts for revenge.

POWERS and TALENTS
Stealth - Incredible
Nightvision - Incredible
Shadow walking/teleport - Good
Investigation -Good

WEAKNESSES - Shadow walking does not work in light/ in the absence of shadows
I LIKE this one! Stolen!

Picaroon Jack

And the Brothers Slack
Reaction score
No takers? Okay, how about this one based on my City of Heroes Character:

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
View attachment 10432

Doctor Sanguinomancy

Real Name - Varney Ruthven

Fighting - Good
Agility - Good
Strength - Legendary
Durability - Uncanny
Reason - Excellent
Wits - Excellent
Will Power - Uncanny

Varney was a prostitute in Victorian London until he had the misfortune of having a vampire for a client. Turned into a creature of the night, he stalked London as a bestial thing for several years until he was driven from the city by the fearless Vampire Hunter Dicky Swift. Fleeing the hunters, Varney was pursued to a city on the Swiss border and hid in the catacombs beneath the city, but a freak earthquake trapped him underground in an Undead slumber.

It was not until a bombing during WW 2 Tha at Barney awoke again. Making his way into Switzerland to avoid the war he encountered the Doctor Carl Jung, who, fascinated by the creature, convinced him to undergo psycho-analysis.

These sessions turned the. vampire from a savage creature into a calm and erudite man, well in control of his unconscious desires for blood. It was under Jumg's tutelage that Varney came to study Alchemy and unleashed an untapped potential for magic beyond that of any ordinary man.

Varney was destraught when Jung passed in the early 60s, refusing to allow his pupil to grant him the gift of immortal life, and once again holed himself away from the world in a period of extended slumber.

Varney was finally awoken again after a terrorist bombing unearthed his hiding place. Faced with a Dystopian future, Varney devoted himself to tracking down other monsters, subduing them, and subjecting them to therapeutic rehabilitation.

POWERS
Alchemy (Excellent)

TRAITS
Undead, Psychology, Occult

Last edited: