[Supers] Background game

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Nexus

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I've tried this game thread on some other sites were its either done well or died a slow death. So let's roll the dice here on the rpgpub. :smile:

The Rules: First one person posts an image that is or could be a superhuman (villain, hero, cast member, whatever) Then others submit a name, powers and basic background. This doesn't have to include mechanics or be in a particular universe (though I've noticed something tends to happen if the thread takes off). Once three submission are done or a week has passed then the person that posted the original image picks the best description.

Then the author of the chosen best background can post an image and the process repeats. The selected winner can simply open the the floor for another picture from anyone. They still get to decide who wins that round unless they abstain. If there is no winner chosen for whatever reason, we can go by which background gets the most "Likes" or just reopen the floor for a new submission, first come, first server

Hopefully this will be fun and provide some inspiration for NPCs if nothing else.

I'll get the ball rolling with the first picture submission. 'Due' date is the 21st of June.

47993073087_3a69d9e038_z.jpg

COLDSORE
Real Name - Gabriel T. Harding
FIGHTING - Puny
AGILITY - Uncanny
STRENGTH - Typical
DURABILITY - Excellent
REASON - Puny
WITS -Typical
WILL POWER - Feeble

STAMINA - 50
PSYCHE - 6

Gabriel was a Figure Skater who was tossed out of the Olympics when it was discovered he'd been using steroids. Embittered and humiliated, Gabriel turned to drugs and sordid affairs as he became the posterboy of Tabloids and a laughingstock across the nation. Bottoming out, Gabriel broke into the local ice rink where he'd spent so much of his life training, and planned to commit suicide by drug overdose. Weeping on the ice, with the drugs not having the fatal effect desired, Gabriel's desperation led him to attempt electrocution by licking a wall socket.

Gabriel awoke the next morning to find the electricity, instead of killing him, had a weird reaction with the chemicals in his system, leaving him with strange new powers. Vowing revenge on the world that had scorned him, Gabriel adopted the name ColdSore and set about attacking professional athletes.

POWERS

FROST BREATH (Excellent) - Gabriel can emit a cold vapour from his mouth, causing Excellent Freezing damage.
ICE LICK (Uncanny) - Anything Gabriel licks with his tongue instantly Freezes
RESISTANCE-COLD (Fantastic)

You honestly think anyone can beat Coldsore? Done, move on, next picture! That was beautiful!

I want to give everyone a fair shot at least to avoid the impression its a race to get the first submission in. :smile:

Some folks might be getting cold feet, maybe fear of Coldsore's cooties. :grin:

Last edited:
From my old Champions Campaign in the 1980s. That the letters MX on his chest.

I have several more as well. I kept a folder with all the material from those campaigns including character sheets.

MX.jpg
MX: The Flying Crayon

Fighting: Typical
Agility: Typical
Strength: Typical
Endurance: Excellent
Reason: Typical
Intuition: Typical
Psyche: Typical

Popularity: 20
Resources: Typical
Health: 38

Powers:
Posterior Colored Gas Emission: Amazing
Flight: Typical

Contacts: Ronald Reagan
Talents: None
Group Affiliation: Reagan's Raiders
81+xyK3QcAL__SY445_.jpg
Background:
A lowly clerk pushing papers on the LGM-118 Peacekeeper land-based ICBM project, also known as "Missile-eXperimental", in 1985 Warren Headly was depressed by his own mediocrity and resultant inability to advance in his career. Plagued by suicidal ideation, Warren decided to end it all by strapping himself to a test missile that was fired into an abandoned Crayola factory. However, rather than killing Warren, the unlikely combination of Warren's unique body chemistry, nuclear radiation, and melted crayons instead imbued Warren with the potentially useful ability to project gaseous colors from his rump with such force that his body is propelled upward. With practice, Warren discovered that he could use his colored gas for controlled subsonic flight. Finding an optimistic new lease on life, Warren donned a disguise and vowed to use his powers to fight crime and international terrorism as "MX: The Flying Crayon." After his success in foiling the Black-and-White Bandit became national news, Warren was recruited by the president to be a probationary member of Reagan's Raiders, the premier superhero team of the Chesapeake Bay Area.

Last edited:
I want to give everyone a fair shot at least to avoid the impression its a race to get the first submission in. :smile:

Some folks might be getting cold feet, maybe fear of Coldsore's cooties. :grin:
It's not that it's first. It's that it's absolutely priceless! it's the best thing I've personally read in a long time! I'm actually planning on using him (Once I change the system, as I'm running an ICONS game in a couple of weeks) with his history and personality as is!

It's technicqlly the 21st so, as everyone is agreement, may as well start the second round. There's 2 entries so we're already ahead. :grin: Deadline will be th 28th just to keep things simple.

Anyone going to do any non-parody entries? :hehe:

I would hope but if folks are in a joking mood who am I to mandate they change? The Tick and The Mystery Men (and Umbrella Academy, the show at least, haven't read the comic are popular and run in a lighter mood) :smile:

Edit: Note to others interested: A character sheet is not required either from a specific rules set or in general.

Guerilla A. P. E.

FIGHTING - Good
AGILITY - Typical
STRENGTH - Good
DURABILITY - Good
REASON - Good
WITS - Typical
WILLPOWER - Excellent

Carlton is an ex-mercenary who fought in the jungles of Southeast Asia alongside a team of supers (Might Makes Right) trying to bring down the mysterious Dr. Anaconda. After losing his left arm in a snake pit, the team built him a new bionic one called the Armor Piercing Extremity (APE). It is a chain fed mini-railgun with incredible armor defeating capabilities.

POWERS and TALENTS
Stealth - Excellent
Firepower - Incredible (APE) Typical (Back-up Pistol)
Kung-fu Grip - Good
Boot traction - Decent

WEAKNESSES - APE Ammo is depleted uranium which makes him slightly radioactive and nominally dangerous to anyone standing to his left.

Eh, just consider it a hopscotch from the first one. At this point I thjink we should take what we can get unless the thread catches on more than it has

Maybe you're right. The thread seems to have its leash anyway.

I admit I'm disappointed the game format didn't work out (I found it more fun in the threads where it did work out) but hopefully the thread will survive in some form.

So what can someone come up with for this character?

38661147825_dab8c6de8e_b.jpg

So what can someone come up with for this character?

38661147825_dab8c6de8e_b.jpg
Blackjack

FIGHTING - Excellent
AGILITY - Good
STRENGTH - Good
DURABILITY - Good
REASON - Good
WITS - Excellent
WILLPOWER - Typical

Blackjack is a street level crimefighter with the ability to "shadow walk," which is using shadows to teleport to other shadows. This ability comes from the fact that his father is Erebus, the Greek god of Darkness. His mother was addicted to an arcane drug known as "shadow deep" and was being pushed by a death cult tied to Erebus. Erebus fell in love with John's mother in her dream state, and the relationship coupled with the drug drove her insane. Blackjack blames the drugs and the street for her death and uses his powers and martial arts for revenge.

POWERS and TALENTS
Stealth - Incredible
Nightvision - Incredible
Shadow walking/teleport - Good
Investigation -Good

WEAKNESSES - Shadow walking does not work in light/ in the absence of shadows

Blackjack

FIGHTING - Excellent
AGILITY - Good
STRENGTH - Good
DURABILITY - Good
REASON - Good
WITS - Excellent
WILLPOWER - Typical

Blackjack is a street level crimefighter with the ability to "shadow walk," which is using shadows to teleport to other shadows. This ability comes from the fact that his father is Erebus, the Greek god of Darkness. His mother was addicted to an arcane drug known as "shadow deep" and was being pushed by a death cult tied to Erebus. Erebus fell in love with John's mother in her dream state, and the relationship coupled with the drug drove her insane. Blackjack blames the drugs and the street for her death and uses his powers and martial arts for revenge.

POWERS and TALENTS
Stealth - Incredible
Nightvision - Incredible
Shadow walking/teleport - Good
Investigation -Good

WEAKNESSES - Shadow walking does not work in light/ in the absence of shadows
I LIKE this one! Stolen!

No takers? Okay, how about this one based on my City of Heroes Character:

Switch

View attachment 10432

Prowess 4 (Fair)
Coordination 5 (Good)
Strength 3 (Average)
Intellect 4 (Fair)
Awareness 4 (Fair)
Willpower 3 (Average)

Stamina 6
Determination 2

Powers:
Teleport 7 (Incredible, Device: Amulet)
-Defensive 7 (Extra, Incredible)
-Affects Others 7 (Extra, Incredible)

Specialties:
Martial Arts

Qualities:
'Quit hitting yourself'
In the Nick of Time

History:
RCMP agent Evangeline Watson was chasing a thief who had somehow managed to get in a government vault. But this criminal, even a super powered one, was acting oddly, as she raced through the streets and rooftops of Toronto. Every time she thought she'd lost sight, it appeared just out of reach. Also, she caught herself thinking of her past. Her admiration of her father and big brother, on how she wanted to be like them, officers of the law that helped those around them. The drive she found after Albert got crippled by a thug's bullet.

All the events were run through as she chased this strangely dressed for Canada thief. However, each time she'd lose and find the perp, they were always a bit closer. And the moment that her memory of getting her first posting in the North ran through her mind she leapt and caught them!

Except that she was in the mid air between two buildings and in her hands was the item, an amulet, that was taken. As she plummeted to her death, eyes closed and cursing herself for not judging the distance properly, the bump of hitting rooftop gravel was the next thing she felt as she rolled a few times. Battered, but safe. And once opened her eyes, found herself no less than 100m from her starting position despite having been run ragged all over the metropolitan.

After discovering that the amulet was never in the Vault, she's also figured out a few more details. First, it's Scandinavian in origin. It creates portals for the wielder, it protects the wielder using those portals and that it always seeks out a wielder with a just heart. The battle costume came with the amulet, and so after taking the non-imaginative name of 'Switch' (As in switching places, a tactic she loves to use), the newest heroine in the Canadian skyline will prove that she will always get her criminal.

Huh, I read the image as female.

That's three if you want to select a winner Picaroon Jack or you can wait a little longer. :smile:

Last edited:
Its Friday again (weird how it keep working out that way, Innit?) so lets pick a winner, give 'em a chicken dinner and let 'em post a pic. :smile:

Chris Brady's entry got to 2 positive reactions so I think we should call it the winner for this "round'. CB, show us what you got (picturewise....not that kind of picture, I...you know what I mean. :grin:)

commission__matthaus_williams_by_johnbecaro_d4bybtu-pre.jpg

I don't have anything that I've done (I've not sketched in literal years), all I have is this image I am using WITHOUT permission. As this is a game, however...
Have at it.

POOR MAN'S NIGHTWING
commission__matthaus_williams_by_johnbecaro_d4bybtu-pre.jpg
Anything Nightwing can do, he does almost as well, but charges significantly less for his services.
so like "Poor Man's N1ghtw1ng" for copyright reasons. LOL

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back