[Supers] Background game

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
rwMoXJq.png

The Guardian Angel

Height: 6' 1" Weight: Unknown, assumed to be 180lbs.
Hair: Black Eyes: Solid White

Origin: Angelic Warrior?

Prowess: 6 (Great)
Coordination: 6 (Great)
Strength: 7 (Incredible)
Intellect: 3 (Average)
Awareness: 4 (Fair)
Willpower: 5 (Good)

Determination
: 1

Stamina: 12

Powers:
Flight: 4 (Fair),
-Limit: Wings
Damage Resistance: 3 (Average)
-Limit: Blasting and Bashing attacks
Blast Damage: 5 (Good)

Specialties:
Athletics
Firearms
Occult

Qualities:
Mystical Champion
"Never Ending Battle"
Driven to help others

History:
The Lodge of Mystics is a secret order of protectors and champions keeping an eye on what is called Earth Prime. Which has it's own champions, true, but few are as versed in the arcane and occult as they are. They boast a wide roster of heroes and do-gooders, some more hard bitten than others.

No one really knows where the 'Guardian Angel' comes from, he was found in the 1870's near Carson City Nevada, fighting off Demons. Once the monsters were eliminated, he turned to them and simply asked where to next, as if he had always been a member. In turn the various early members of the order took him in without question as he was both deadly with his magical Winchester and an honourable man.

Since then he's served with several generations of master mages and similar seeming angelic beings. Although he keeps to himself in the inter-dimensional base of operations when not out in the world, he is as kind and gentle as man with his appearance suggests. His ability to hide his wings is useful for blending it, but his style of dress reminiscent of a cowboy makes it hard for him to stay inconspicuous at the best of times.

S'all I got. Sorry for being generic and uninspired. This world's setting is actually Green Ronin's Freedom City one...

I actually like it at times, when what-you-see-is-what-you-get. I had a vague idea about a mutant cowboy bounty hunter when I threw the image together, but I think Guardian Angel would make a nice depth building NPC for a campaign. He's been around for a really long time, everyone knows who he is, and when he shows up and asks the PCs for assistance how can they say no?

I actually like it at times, when what-you-see-is-what-you-get. I had a vague idea about a mutant cowboy bounty hunter when I threw the image together, but I think Guardian Angel would make a nice depth building NPC for a campaign. He's been around for a really long time, everyone knows who he is, and when he shows up and asks the PCs for assistance how can they say no?

My only germ of an idea was basically a rip off of the Saint of Killers. :smile:

Chris Brady, IIRC you don''t have any pictures to up load? How about you act as the judge for the next image that's posted?

If you're good with that. How about this one:

49011555808_fb08d7c8d9_o.jpg

Opening the floor to anyone for the previous picture.

Last edited:
Building this one in Tiny Supers, just for the practice (the system is still new to me).

Sculpture, as Briseis is commonly known to most of the world, is clearly not human but seems to be carved from marble. She was created by an unknown sculptor 2500 years ago. While being transported from Athens (as a gift to the city of Rhodes) the transport ship went down in a massive storm after being struck by lightning. She has vague memories of laying in the darkness for a long, long time, till the wreck was discovered by an underwater archeology team.

When brought up into the light of day, she found she was able to move and speak. She claimed half of the value of the cargo from the wreck and began her life with vast wealth. She quickly decided to learn English and joined the god-like heroes of the Americas. She would fight for the ideal of bringing peace to a chaotic world through justice for all.

Sculpture has natural armor due to her marble body, but also found she can mimic the appearance of any person she touches. Her stone body also gives her enhanced strength and per punches pack a lethal amount of force. Her exotic look as an idealized female figure combined with her charming personality has given her a celebrity status most heroes could only dream of.

fXLqqSb.jpg

Last edited:
Building this one in Tiny Supers, just for the practice (the system is still new to me).

Sculpture, as Briseis is commonly known to most of the world, is clearly not human but seems to be carved from marble. She was created by an unknown sculpture 2500 years ago. While being transported from Athens (as a gift to the city of Rhodes) the transport ship went down in a massive storm after being struck by lightning. She has vague memories of laying in the darkness for a long, long time, till the wreck was discovered by an underwater archeology team.

When brought up into the light of day, she found she was able to move and speak. She claimed half of the value of the cargo from the wreck and began her life with vast wealth. She quickly decided to learn English and joined the god-like heroes of the Americas. She would fight for the ideal of bringing peace to a chaotic world through justice for all.

Sculpture has natural armor due to her marble body, but also found she can mimic the appearance of any person she touches. Her stone body also gives her enhanced strength and per punches pack a lethal amount of force. Her exotic look as an idealized female figure combined with her charming personality has given her a celebrity status most heroes could only dream of.

fXLqqSb.jpg
Very cool. I haven’t played a supers game in 30 years but this kind of stuff makes me want to run one.

We've probably just about hit the saturation point for super heroes with all the TV shows and movies, but it has made it easier for people to get into the idea of playing super heroes. So many super hero RPG systems to choose from and more on the way. Plus you can roll with most any type of character from ancient god to alien from Alpha Centauri and no one will bat an eye.

It's a golden age for super hero roleplayers.

We've probably just about hit the saturation point for super heroes with all the TV shows and movies, but it has made it easier for people to get into the idea of playing super heroes. So many super hero RPG systems to choose from and more on the way. Plus you can roll with most any type of character from ancient god to alien from Alpha Centauri and no one will bat an eye.

It's a golden age for super hero roleplayers.
I disagree. There's no such thing as 'Franchise Fatigue' in my 45 years of life. How long has the original Doctor Who series last on the air, 25+ years before they took it off, and during the interim they still had toys, radio plays, comic books. The Simpsons are still going, didn't they break the record for longest lasting cartoon a decade or so back? And it also has spin off comics and merchandise too.

There's no such thing as 'saturation', if the audience likes something they will want more and more of it. What they don't like is 'bad' products. But unfortunately the money makers don't know or care that's the reason why a show/series/product fails, so they come up with excuses like 'saturation' or 'franchise fatigue' to pass off their own incompetence.

Now, Ronnie Sanford Ronnie Sanford do you have something for that image? I have been told to sit out and judge, so I want to see more! Doesn't matter the system, hit us with your idea!

Now, Ronnie Sanford Ronnie Sanford do you have something for that image? I have been told to sit out and judge, so I want to see more! Doesn't matter the system, hit us with your idea!
I don't have any images - sorry. But I wouldn't be upset if somone did a image akin to Ben in the Fantastic Four.

Here is a duo I did for a superhero project I'm working on. They don't have stats--but they did (secretly) have a name. You can give 'em stats and identities and I'll say what the name I gave the pair was ...bellbottom & pearshape2.jpg

Last edited:
I disagree. There's no such thing as 'Franchise Fatigue' in my 45 years of life. How long has the original Doctor Who series last on the air, 25+ years before they took it off, and during the interim they still had toys, radio plays, comic books. The Simpsons are still going, didn't they break the record for longest lasting cartoon a decade or so back? And it also has spin off comics and merchandise too.

There's no such thing as 'saturation', if the audience likes something they will want more and more of it. What they don't like is 'bad' products. But unfortunately the money makers don't know or care that's the reason why a show/series/product fails, so they come up with excuses like 'saturation' or 'franchise fatigue' to pass off their own incompetence.

Nah, go ahead and shoot something for her if you want. It sat around for awhile and we should keep things moving. There's already been one gray entry for her almost immediately after opening the floor to all participants.

Nah, go ahead and shoot something for her if you want. It sat around for awhile and we should keep things moving. There's already been one gray entry for her almost immediately after opening the floor to all participants.
Gimme a few.

I meant in terms of all the movies and TV shows we have now. It used to be rare to get a super hero movie and it was an EVENT to go see it with some friends. Special effects and action sequences that amazed are now pretty standard fare. Where do you go after the last couple Avengers movies? At some point, the interest in super hero movies/TV shows will trend downward. Not that it will ever go away, but I think we hit the peak in the last year or two.

Don't get me started on Disney and their scramble to earn back all the money they spent buying the Star Wars franchise. At least they seem to have backed off on cranking out a movie every year.

I meant in terms of all the movies and TV shows we have now. It used to be rare to get a super hero movie and it was an EVENT to go see it with some friends. Special effects and action sequences that amazed are now pretty standard fare. Where do you go after the last couple Avengers movies? At some point, the interest in super hero movies/TV shows will trend downward. Not that it will ever go away, but I think we hit the peak in the last year or two.

Infinity War and Endgame were massive events. As for 'trending downward' only if they become mediocre.
Don't get me started on Disney and their scramble to earn back all the money they spent buying the Star Wars franchise. At least they seem to have backed off on cranking out a movie every year.

Only because The Last Jedi killed the franchise and reduced it to Television. I personally believe that anyone who says that Star Wars is fine, actually hates the franchise and wants it dead. Because its in literally no way fine.

Statuesque
Height: 6' Weight: 145lbs/380lbs.
Hair: Black/White Eyes: Brown/Solid White

Origin: Mutant/Earth Controller

Prowess: 3 (Average)
Coordination: 4 (Fair)
Strength: 3 (Average)
Intellect: 3 (Average)
Awareness: 4 (Fair)
Willpower: 5 (Good)

Determination
: 1

Stamina: 8 (12 in Stone form)

Powers:
Element Control: Earth 7 (Great)
-Free Extra: Alternate Form 7 (Boosts Strength and gives Damage Resistence to 7 Great)
-Free Extra: Telekinesis 7 (Great, limited to Earth and Stone)
-Extra: Blast

Specialties:
Athletics

Qualities:
Mistress of Earth
Forceful
Fearless

History:
Breanna has always been beautiful, entering pageants since she was six at her request, which her loving parents indulged, and winning almost all of them. A confident, if somewhat spoiled child of mixed descent, she never understood why some of the Black community disliked her or thought she was a sellout for using her attributes to make life easier for her commuity. The beauty never let it bother her, instead focusing on how she could help others.

However, being the granddaughter of a supervillain from the 60's and 70's didn't mean she'd have it easy. Although she expressed in her teens, she hid her power as Bree suddenly looked exactly like her exceedingly violent and hateful late grandmother. She knew this would cause her trouble in her life and wanted to hide it as much as possible.

The original Statuesque was never captured, never revealed who she had been and given that being a mutant generally extends one's life, when the stone white form (Suddenly naked) appeared and saved several people that would have been trapped under a building during the Silver Storm of Emerald City it caused quite the stir. Had she returned? Was she going to go on her infamous rampages against the 'establishment'?

Since then she's been confusing the Press and local hero and villain groups by acting in a manner unlike the original Statuesque. Bree is determined to be a force for good, to help, not hate. If her Italian/African-Irish/Middle Eastern family can make their differences work, so can the rest of the world!

Great background for Statuesque, full of adventure hooks for a GM to run with.

I liked Sculpture. The backstory was coo;, that and her power set are interesting takes on her appearance. Much the same applies to Statuesque, but the write up edges ahead due to the plot hooks in her background so I'm giving the nod to Chris Brady.

For the curious, here is the actual character (Statuesque) that the art was done for.

Melissa Andrew worked primarily as a restoration archaeologist, preserving and repairing artifacts for various museums and universities. Fieldwork was rare for her, unless there was something that needed to be preserved in place. She had been called out to a dig in Greece, what appeared to be an old buried temple. While preparing to return to camp at the end of the day, she was trapped inside the temple when an earthquake sealed the entrance and collapsed some of the upper layers. She spent a few days working through the temple in darkness, until she stumbled over the shrine, unsealed during the tremor.

The curse on the shrine to Aphrodite was meant to turn intruders into statues, but because the magic had faded with age, she was instead turned to living rock. She managed to make her way to the surface with her new strength, much to the relief of her coworkers. Unfortunately, at first she couldn't continue her former work, unused to being far stronger than she had been before. Too strong to safely work on delicate artifacts.

She left her position, but got hired by a construction firm to help with demolition, more of a publicity stunt than anything else, though she did prove quite effective. When she stepped in during a supervillain's rampage and saved her crew and the other civilians in the area, she was scouted for the Gateway Guardians and the rest was history.

In the wake of Major Victory's temporary departure from the team, Statuesque has assumed leadership of Gateway Guardians.

Statuesque in another costume variant

49012307372_ef6e0369e8_b.jpg

Last edited:
bellbottom & pearshape2.jpg

This duo.

They aren't written up--but I named them in my head--but the spoiler tags don't seem to work. So I don't know if I should provide the name or let the creator name the team.

Hmm, no offense, but back shots and the girl with the spear doesn't give me much to work with. The other one... hmm...

Perhaps Bell Bottom and Pear Shaped will need to wait for another day...

Or I can show the front-view (the scene is a 3d model) but I'd have to dig it up and render it.

View attachment 13633

This duo.

They aren't written up--but I named them in my head--but the spoiler tags don't seem to work. So I don't know if I should provide the name or let the creator name the team.

Belladonna (Annabelle Donnelly)
Drive: Guardian

Might: Average Superhuman
Agility: Exceptional Human
Toughness: Spectacular Superhuman
Intelligence: Spectacular Human
Knowledge: Spectacular Human
Resolve: Exceptional Human

Powers::

Powered Armor: Spectacular Superhuman armor that boosts her Might and Toughness.
Attack: Spectacular Superhuman Particle Beams
Defense: Exceptional Superhuman Body Armor
Move: Spectacular Superhuman (Leaping)
Manipulation: Average Superhuman (Hacking)

Belladonna is a protector by nature. She's a husky woman with a solid build and is obsessed with technology. She built her own mobile phone at 11. At 20 she started her first suit of power armor. She's upgraded it three times.

As a child, Belladone was constantly bullied over her size and weight and saw other abuse heaped upon her and those like her. Her intellect gave her an outlet to focus her strong desire to protect people of all kinds. When one of her designs had patent trolls claim the rights to some of her earliest work, she realized that bullies existed of all sorts, who used power and influence to cheat through technically legal means.

Though she won the patent case on her technology, it left her bitter over the failure of the government to protect those creative innovators like herself. So she built herself a new identity with technology at her grasp. She built the "Bella" suit. She named it so because she thought her nickname used by her close friends and family was beautiful.

She is kind, generous, and giving a person, and feels that true beauty is very much being kind to others. But not so kind you get taken advantage of so she looks at her super actions as an extension of protecting kindness. She expects no media presence (though she trends highly for showing that beautiful women come in all forms as does intelligence and talent.) Her greatest message is in her protecting people and keeping an eye out for legal abuses of power utilizing her technology called the "Watchdog" L.A.I to help defend those defenseless against "legal" bullies like Corporations shutting down small farmers, and local stores replaced by megastores and staffing underpaid employees. She uses her money and the Watchdog system to fight against usurious mortgages, help stop data theft, and working for the poorest people with no means to fight back when the system fails them.

She's long been considered a role model by other technological heroes, even some who fit more "common" beauty standards, for her boisterous kindness, generous heart, and sheer joy at making technology to make the world safer. She's a local heroine at best but has national appeal.

Jasmine (J.C. Eze)
Drive: Revenge

Might: Spectacular Human
Agility: Spectacular Human
Toughness: Spectacular Human
Intellect: Exceptional Human
Knowledge: Exceptional Human
Willpower: Spectacular Human

Power(s)

Superskill: Spectacular superhuman acrobatics/gymnastics
Superskill: Spectacular Superhuman fighting with a spear.

Jalye Christia Eze or Jasmine as she is known is the child of Nigerian immigrants to the United States. While she never grew up in a wilderness and had little experience with it, she loved pictures of her ancestral homeland and other wild places. She became a wildlife photographer and traveled the world for a decade before returning home.

Through these travels, she witnessed untold acts of abuses of power, cultural erasure, both abroad and at home. In a city riddled with crimes that mostly struck the poorest. She grew angry at seeing these systemic abuses in what was supposed to be a civilized society--though she'd witnessed worse elsewhere she decided more was needed to aid the poorest communities, both as an active socially adept woman who began many charities, and as Jasmine, the Wild.

Though her skills as a gymnast and use of a spear come from her parent's care to keep some cultural traditions (dancing, folktales) and her pursuit as a professional gymnast as a child. She also asked her father often of the spear he'd brought from home, which he claimed was passed down from generation to generation of defenders of what had centuries ago been their familial purpose as village protectors.

Whether true or not, she took the spear up as her weapon of choice and trained with the best people her abilities as both a gymnast and well-known photographer could gain access too as trainers.

Now as Jasmine she utilizes these skills honed to the absolute peak of capabilities better than anyone ever believed is possible. She wears dark clothing when she hunts, but added in glowing flowers, and butterflies visible in the darkness to remind people of nature's gentle side as well as its fiercest. She adores children and seeks to make sure they are kept safe from harm which is another reason for the gentler markings on her costume. She teamed up with the unlikely tech-hero Belladonna to make sure she could do more to bring the world to a better place.

She is often found showing off her gallery of one of a kind nature photographs that often have been used to sell people on visiting the wild places, but only so long as a portion of the money for the pictures goes to heritage and wildlife preservation organizations.

Though some people think of them as a "couple." They team up only on the battlefield of the city. (Belladonna being happily married for a decade to a male model who adores her, and Jasmine has no real interest in long term relationships)

In many ways, the pair make an unlikely duo of heroes, both though from the same neighborhood as children and friends since they were six.

It is notable that Jasmine's name comes from a very non-toxic homemade Jasmine based perfume that everyone smelled on her, while Belladonna chose hers. Jasmine just accepted the name that people used.

Last edited:
Belladonna (Annabelle Donnelly)
Drive: Guardian

Might: Average Superhuman
Agility: Exceptional Human
Toughness: Spectacular Superhuman
Intelligence: Spectacular Human
Knowledge: Spectacular Human
Resolve: Exceptional Human

This is fantastic--as I said, my name for the duo was Pear Shaped and Bell Bottom--but I really like how you did this! Kudos!!

I'm sorry I let this thread lay fallow for so long. I guess Silverlion is the winner. :smile: Dis you have a picture to post, Silverlion?

Should we put this one on the backburner for now and open the floor for new pic?

Yeah, I usually get some inspiration fairly quickly, or not at all with some character art.

I don't consider myself in charge of the thread (I suppose ultimately, the Staff if it comes down to it) but I think we should open the floor to a new pic, 1st 1st serve and if anyone comes up with for Silverlion's entry cam offer it up at anytime.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back