[SW5e] The Star Wars -- Star Wars without Canon

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dammit Victor

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I want to run a Star Wars game using the delightful SW5e conversion rules. Catch is... I want to do Star Wars as a genre, with its themes and overall feel, while discarding all but the loosest interpretations of the canon.

A whole hell of a lot of this remix is going to be done round-robin style by the players. The only constants are the things that are essential to Star Wars: nobody's going to ban humans or droids, and there's going to be a lot of aliens. There are Jedi and Sith in abundance, Jedi and Sith are available as PCs-- and if we get both, we'll deal with it. There is no gray side of the Force-- Jedi are corruptible, but they cannot remain corrupt for long without falling. Likewise, Sith can be heroes, but they either die a hero or they live long enough to see themselves become the villain; a Sith cannot maintain peace and order for long without falling. Spaceships, blasters, Mandalorians. No fucking Yuuzhan Vong unless someone is really gung-ho about them.

I'm starting from the premise that the days of the High Republic are long gone. The Republic we have today is riddled with corruption and inefficiency, and the Jedi are too bogged down in sectarian strife to uphold the Republic's lofty ideals or to do much more than play whack-a-womprat with the numberless Sith cults that keep boiling up out of the slums and the wastes of the galaxy. The Sith, likewise; while most of them hate the Jedi, and most of them hate the Republic, and most of them hate the other Sith... they're usually motivated (they are never "content") to pursue their own violent, insane goals over attacking more than targets of opportunity.

• Sheev Palpatine of Naboo is the Chancellor of the Republic. He has been given extensive wartime powers by the Senate, and the Senate will keep giving him more.
  • The Clone Wars has been going on for forty or fifty years now, long enough that the first (and second) generations of clonetroopers have died of artificial old age and the children of deserters are starting to wonder how many years they have left.
  • Darth Sidious claims to be the true Dark Lord of the Sith. No other Sith recognizes his authority, or even his association, except for his apprentice, Darth Vader.
  • The Jedi Temple of Coruscant claims to speak for the entire Jedi Order; in reality, they speak for most of the Core Systems and a handful of systems in the Mid-Rim, and don't have the power to do anything about the "heretical" Jedi Temples on other worlds.
  • Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi are the Jedi Temple's best and brightest, heroes of the Republic, though there are rumors that Anakin has been growing... erratic.
  • As the Clone Wars drag on and on and on, the Mandalorians find themselves on their favorite side of any war: both sides. They expect bloody reprisals from the Republic after the war, so even the ones fighting for the Republic are secretly hoping for the Separatists to win and honor their agreements.
  • Basically, Chancellor Palpatine and Darth Sidious are doing everything possible to make the galaxy worse, the Jedi and even some of the Sith are ineffectually flailing at making things better... and the only people who can fight the rising tide of corruption are the player characters.
So far... options look like Discord/roll20 from 3pm EST to 7pm EST or play-by-post on RPOL. Hit me up here or on the Pub Discord if you have questions or want to nudge me towards voice chat and/or forums.

Two questions:

First, how do you feel about crossover species?

Lightleth.jpg

Second, what's RPOL?

Two questions:

First, how do you feel about crossover species?

I'm willing to entertain the notion of adding species from other franchises, but if something is too iconic to another franchise it'll make our game less iconically Star Wars. Besides, aren't there already plenty of different "Klingons" in Star Wars?

Second, what's RPOL?

rpol.net

I'm willing to entertain the notion of adding species from other franchises, but if something is too iconic to another franchise it'll make our game less iconically Star Wars. Besides, aren't there already plenty of different "Klingons" in Star Wars?

rpol.net
I guess amorphs are right out then.

Having thought about it, the closest equivalent I can think of is the Mandaloreans, but of course now they've got a bunch going on thematically. Besides, I'm not gonna make it a sticking point - really I'm not even eager to play a Force-user, it's just that the idea of a lightsaber Bat'leth cracks me up so hard. :hehe:

Huh - that looks like an old and venerable website, but this is the first time I recall hearing of it. I guess your pitch was just that compelling.

I'd like to play. Gand Jedi? Gand Sharpshooter? Cathar Jedi (there are a few left.), Togorian? Barabel martial artist? (They respect the jedi)

C'mon, man, you don't have to ask.

But don't pitch characters yet. That's going to be Step 3 after players are picked.

I'm working on the game information and application process. Probably be able to post it tonight.

Having thought about it, the closest equivalent I can think of is the Mandaloreans, but of course now they've got a bunch going on thematically. Besides, I'm not gonna make it a sticking point - really I'm not even eager to play a Force-user, it's just that the idea of a lightsaber Bat'leth cracks me up so hard. :hehe:

My last pre 3.0 AD&D game had a Klingon Jedi in it. I was a Troll Shaman/Assassin. We pushed Vecna off the edge of the Multiverse.

So the game is now actively accepting applicants. Let me know who you are here on the Pub, and maybe I'll bump your application to the top of the queue.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back