Talislanta for 5E D&D

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

How much do you guess the all in pledge will be?

• Total voters
I just can't miss out on color for once. I am restraining myself from the all it level.

I went ahead at the early backer all in. I was going to be $50 short of it anyway with the all the books pledge. I figured the stretch goals and the extras were worth $50.

I went ahead at the early backer all in. I was going to be $50 short of it anyway with the all the books pledge. I figured the stretch goals and the extras were worth $50.
I did too, pretty much figuring this is a once-in-a-life kind of thing. If they end up doing another, I can safely skip it. But like I said, this is my chance to get a bunch of physical Talislanta goodness.

I'm debating with myself how much to go in for. Not whether, how much:shade:.

Of course, I'm also wondering how much I can re-sale the 5e physical copy for...:devil:

They got me with the all-in early bird level. Can't pass that up.
A lot of stuff there I know I'll never use, so fo once I'm safe. After doing that a few times I have a lot of stuff I'd rather not have

A lot of stuff there I know I'll never use, so fo once I'm safe. After doing that a few times I have a lot of stuff I'd rather not have
I was on the fence but the chance to get the maps (I love maps) and a GM's screen for $50 is worth it to me; I probably wouldn't have gone for the non-early bird all-in package. I also appreciate how they're letting us switch out the 5e book for an extra player's guide.

I did too, pretty much figuring this is a once-in-a-life kind of thing. If they end up doing another, I can safely skip it. But like I said, this is my chance to get a bunch of physical Talislanta goodness.

I was surprised the splash page of my confirmation called it Talislanta Final Edition

Went all in. Glad to hear that swapping the 5e book for an extra copy of the Player's Book will be an option.

I was on the fence but the chance to get the maps (I love maps) and a GM's screen for $50 is worth it to me; I probably wouldn't have gone for the non-early bird all-in package. I also appreciate how they're letting us switch out the 5e book for an extra player's guide.
Wha? Oh, I see, it is an option after the campaign is done—discussed in the comments section. I also see they are now hoping to have another campaign for a “campaign book”.

For those that have experience with previous editions, how easy or hard is it to create new archetypes? My one concern with the game is that it seems like there are so many races that many will be stuck with only one or two possible "classes" to pick from. I just know that at least one of my players will run into a situation where they really like a particular race but want to do something other than the official archetype.

For those that have experience with previous editions, how easy or hard is it to create new archetypes? My one concern with the game is that it seems like there are so many races that many will be stuck with only one or two possible "classes" to pick from. I just know that at least one of my players will run into a situation where they really like a particular race but want to do something other than the official archetype.
It helps to embrace the concept of there being no such thing as "balance" between the archetypes. It simply doesn't exist and never has, by design. With that said, it's trivially easy to make new archetypes. I have two approaches I personally take based on whether or not the archetype is a variation of an existing one or not. In the case of being a variation, take one or two existing archetypes and 'nudge' the stats, skills or unique abilities in relatively minor ways to reflect what set's apart the new archetype. If it's entirely new, I'll generally just go with "whatever feels right", which I know can be off-putting if you haven't really let go of the idea of balance, but I'm convinced that's how the published archetypes were made in the first place.

If you really, really want a procedure then I'd actually suggest stealing the character generation system from White Lies, which looks like this:

For each attribute, roll 1d20. The roll on the left will determine the attribute score on the right:

1 => -2
2-3 => -1
4-8 => +0
9-13 => +1
14-16 => +2
17-18 => +3
19 => +4
20 => +5

I want Talislanta, but not sure if I have any mental space left for another fantasy setting to run games in (I have Middle Earth, Glorantha, WFRP The Old Empire, Hyborian Age, Fateforge, and Numenera/Ninth World.

I do have an earlier edition of Talislanta that I have never gotten around to running.

I would love to grab this edition, but am unlikely to have the funds and mental space for it at present.

We'll see. These new books look gorgeous, and I certainly think this will be a good edition of TSL to have.

If I didn't have Atlantis The Second Age and love it so much, I would probably get this. The system is very similar but I find the setting to be more coherent and my cup of tea with its focus on S&S. This looks very cool though.

If I didn't have Atlantis The Second Age and love it so much, I would probably get this. The system is very similar but I find the setting to be more coherent and my cup of tea with its focus on S&S. This looks very cool though.
I agree Atlantis Second Age is great. But I have some odd love with Talislanta stemming all the way back to the 2nd edition cover with the Thrall Warrior. I’m in on this one and it will go beside my other Talislanta, Atlantis and Arcanum stuff.

it’s not like I don’t buy stuff I don’t need.

In either second or third edition, which you can find for free (legally) online, there are rules for creating new archetypes. Now, those editions may be somewhat different from the latest, because in 4th the game became a little more skill-based and less level-based. But the idea would probably be similar.

One thing to bear in mind is that unlike D&D, the “races” (which in many cases are really cultures IMO) are really different in terms of the roles in their societies. For example when it comes to warriors, some “races” may not even have anything like a “warrior”, while others might have very different “warriors” from each other. In Earth terms, it might be like comparing the roles in a hunter-gatherer society with the roles in a feudal society.

Of course at the end of the day it’s your game but I think after reading the rules and setting you probably won’t want to modify the archetype options much.

Last edited:
PDFs just got sent out. Haven't had a chance to look at them yet but I have them.

I have them and have leafed through the pdfs. The Big Blue Book is so defining for how I view Talislanta, that it is almost weird to see the setting in all of its colorful glory.

And while the presentation is not the crisp perfection of BBB, I like what I see. This might just get me to play Talislanta again.

Oh and I love the way that spellcasters know all the spells of their order (at least I think they do), and in addition the GMs book contain a wealth of forgotten spells and tomes that can be discovered during play.

This to my mind is the perfect fusion of the flexibility of 4th ed with the spell hunting of the earlier editions.

First impressions...

The PDFs are massive. I was a little disappointed to see how big the file sizes are, but that's just a nitpick. Flipping through the files, I like what I see though it's a little daunting as someone new to the setting. This definitely won't be a setting I'll digest in a weekend. I'm a fan of the art overall, especially some of the monster designs. No separate files for the world map or character sheet is a downer but hopefully those will be released later.

Came here to announce this myself. Unfortunately they came right as we were starting to prep dinner, so I'm only a few pages into the player's guide. So far so good. Interestingly the so-called 'sub-men uprising' is now officially canon and the setting has been update to reflect the repercussions of that event.

Edit: will definitely be keen to discuss this further as I digest the material.

My email came straight from DTRPG; Everything Epic sent the message through them. Log into your DrivethruRPG account and check your inbox. If you don't see anything from EE and still don't have it by tomorrow, I'd email EE directly and see if there was a problem.

The email address they put in the message itself, if anyone needs it (though I suspect the system is still churning through the list and would advise waiting at least until tomorrow): INFO@EVERYTHINGEPIC.US

Not there either...:sad:
That's interesting. If it's not in your mail theres a bunch of places to go wrong but for it to not be in the DTRPG system it means either they haven't gotten to your account yet or they have a problem with your account. That's was part of why I was asking to make sure you filled out the survey. Any chance you gave a typo'd email address? If it's not that and you don't see it by tomorrow I'd email that address above.

I'd forgotten to check back in because I wanted the atlas in PDF but the player hardback and they didn't have that available. I'm asking now, but I figure I'll just have to wait for it to go on sale.

Mechanically it looks like they have scaled things back a bit, and that is ok in my book. Stats are more restrained, skills are more restrained and so on. And while zero still isn't true average, it is a lot closer in the current archtypes.

I still miss Combat rating and Magic rating, but I'm obviously in the minority here. I also think it is mechanically inelegant when most skills use one stat and some use two. But it is a minor thing.

Mechanically it looks like they have scaled things back a bit, and that is ok in my book. Stats are more restrained, skills are more restrained and so on. And while zero still isn't true average, it is a lot closer in the current archtypes.

I still miss Combat rating and Magic rating, but I'm obviously in the minority here. I also think it is mechanically inelegant when most skills use one stat and some use two. But it is a minor thing.
Yeah. Scaling back on the number creep was necessary, I think. I haven't done a side-by-side, but stats overall appear to have been reduced for the starting templates. Though you do actually get a small bucket of XP right at the start to spend on customization, so that might well be an illusion. Meaning after you spend that XP you could very well end up with a template just as "powerful" as previous editions, only more customized from the start. Hit points have been scaled back a little too, which I think is a good thing. Though in this edition you add +2 HP for every 25 XP you earn (and don't have to spend XP to gain HP). I don't tend to like HP escalation, so I may end up curbing that a bit or adjusting it to be more stingy. I could even see myself bumping starting HP across the board and ejecting that rule altogether.

I'm actually with you on CR and MR. I kind of wish they'd have included it. I really liked the idea of combat efficacy in particular not being directly tied to strength or dexterity (in which you could conceivably make a sequel-era Yoda character shine). It was the only thing I really didn't care for in The Savage Lands too. On the flip side, I can see why people seem to prefer it the new way and for me it's not a deal breaker.

Finally got my PDF's, I'm disappointed in the spell lists as is typical for me. I loved the ability to make new spells and say they were things you'd known all along. A friend said it made the Archaens fell less "epic" pretty much, and I wholly disagreed because the Archeans were very much making new life, clones, probably things (comparable too) like energy weapons and space ships (teleportation/gates), and now people can't do anything of that scale. Just make the Tech equivalent of guns and cars (wind ships)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back