Tell me ye Pirate-y Tales

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

The Convenient Skill

Swashbuckler
Reaction score
Ahoy mateys, so as any good swashbuckling fan knows, today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

So, does anyone have any good stories about your favourite pirate RPG experience?

Or what's your favourite pirate game, boardgame, media, campaign or whatever?

Even less well known is that I talk like a pirate all the time.

a5J.gif

Flashing Blades is my favorite. The New World side of it has plenty of piratey goodness. I took the rules and set it in my own "new world" archipelago.

Favourite boardgame is Blackbeard by Richard Berg. Other boardgames have a pirate theme, but Blackbeard simulates the life of a pirate.

I feel obligated to point out that Linux is free and makes your teeth whiter.
To the Plank with yer "Free OS".
All Ports be Open port... Even illegally ported ports! Yar!

(Totally kidding too, btw... Don' sue me Microsoft)

To the Plank with yer "Free OS".
All Ports be Open port... Even illegally ported ports! Yar!

(Totally kidding too, btw... Don' sue me Microsoft)

There's a site that maintains a large amount of .pdfs whose official DCMA policy is "Yar Har Har, Fiddle Dee Dee"

Coincidentally, I ran an impromptu game of Magic World this morning for a friend and her nephew, with them both joining a crew of moon pirates... sailing the ether seas, harpooning monstrosities, and touching down on living planetoids to mine and harvest wildlife.
Lots of pirate-speak was had... but I had no clue that today was the day for it.

Last edited:
Coincidentally I ran an impromptu game of Magic World this morning for a friend and her nephew, with them both joining a crew of moon pirates... sailing the ether seas, harpooning monstrosities, and touching down on living planetoids to mine and harvest wildlife.
Lots of pirate-speak was had... but I had no clue that today was the day for it.

The first session of Dungeons & Dragons I ever played climaxed with an assault on a pirate crew. The party ended up claiming the ship and sailing it around for the rest of the campaign.

EiTSq2uUcAAVA4a.jpeg

Last edited:
Ahh, Sid Meier's Pirates. I was going to say they don't make them like that anymore, but of course they did in 2002.

I absolutely love the remake, and spent far longer on that game than any other, and I was the school Kick Off 2 champion (and that took some real skill - even if I say so myself).

For some reason the Amiga version never really did it for me. Then it was all about Guybrush Threepwood.

In fact I love the 2002 version so much that it hampers me playing pirate RPGs - even though I've written one myself.

Wrong thread of course but 16-bit Monkey Island and Sid Meier's Pirates (and Covert Action) deserve to be immortalised in the RPG world.

Favourite boardgame is Blackbeard by Richard Berg. Other boardgames have a pirate theme, but Blackbeard simulates the life of a pirate.
Have you played Merchants & Marauders?

I'm tempted to pick it up for my birthday (if I get enough).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back