Tell us about something good that you got recently

That's lovely. It also makes me think I could get one as a gift for my better half, though my guess is she'd appreciate Jeeves & Wooster or Beatrix Potter more than anything F&SF related.
Definitely, I bet she'd love it. My wife and I love ours. They were fast, the packaging was great, the tracking worked and they look very good on the desk.

Ok, right after I posted the pad, UPS dropped off a Kickstarter/backerkit she did on our doorstep. Damn heavy box and was unexpected. We're both big Firefly fans and we have this game including a custom wooden box for it, but it's been out of print for a while. So when the 10 anniversary project came up she dived in on it. Below will be multiple pictures of each level of the box, they did a superior job on this, so I don't see us needing to get another custom wooden box for this one. Each picture will be the layer below and then the game pad opened up. I am impressed, the game's a lot of fun.

This is a bigger/longer post than I normally do, but I figure doing a layered picture taking was probably the best route. There is a spot for each token which makes this really nice, as I said, we won't need another custom Firefly box for this one. The top layer tokens will go into the trays on the top once you take them out. :smile:

Firefly Board Game 10th Anniversary edition 00.jpg

Firefly Board Game 10th Anniversary edition 01.jpg

Firefly Board Game 10th Anniversary edition 02.jpg

Firefly Board Game 10th Anniversary edition 03.jpg

Firefly Board Game 10th Anniversary edition 04.jpg

Firefly Board Game 10th Anniversary edition 05.jpg

Firefly Board Game 10th Anniversary edition 06.jpg

Firefly Board Game 10th Anniversary edition 07.jpg

Firefly Board Game 10th Anniversary edition 08.jpg

Firefly Board Game 10th Anniversary edition 09.jpg

I added a description. Didn't think it's necessary, until you posted...:thumbsup:
I thought that they might be but there wasn't enough shown for me to be totally sure. Which is why I asked. The "Action Point" card was the one that clued me in. heh.

I thought that they might be but there wasn't enough shown for me to be totally sure. Which is why I asked. The "Action Point" card was the one that clued me in. heh.
Honestly, I'm still not sure whether I'd leave those in the deck. But I might just decree that you have to pull 3 cards and use one of them...:shade:

My lesson in not ever doing pre-orders finally arrived. Next time I'll purchase the books that are out and not have the whole order prevented from shipping due to the other books not done yet. heh. Free League really puts out outstanding books. I had to wait four months before the order shipped.

Free League order 01 of 02.jpg

Free League order 02 of 02.jpg

Last edited:
My lesson in not ever doing pre-orders finally arrived. Next time I'll purchase the books that are out and not have the whole order prevented from shipping due to the other books not done yet. heh. Free League really puts out outstanding books. I had to wait four months before the order shipped.

View attachment 77986

View attachment 77987
Free League have the best production quality at present - every one of their hardcover books are absolutely stunning to have in one's collection.

Ok, right after I posted the pad, UPS dropped off a Kickstarter/backerkit she did on our doorstep. Damn heavy box and was unexpected. We're both big Firefly fans and we have this game including a custom wooden box for it, but it's been out of print for a while. So when the 10 anniversary project came up she dived in on it. Below will be multiple pictures of each level of the box, they did a superior job on this, so I don't see us needing to get another custom wooden box for this one. Each picture will be the layer below and then the game pad opened up. I am impressed, the game's a lot of fun.

This is a bigger/longer post than I normally do, but I figure doing a layered picture taking was probably the best route. There is a spot for each token which makes this really nice, as I said, we won't need another custom Firefly box for this one. The top layer tokens will go into the trays on the top once you take them out. :smile:

View attachment 77686

View attachment 77687

View attachment 77688

View attachment 77689

View attachment 77690

View attachment 77691

View attachment 77692

View attachment 77693

View attachment 77694

View attachment 77695
Big fan of the game, I had no idea they did a 10th anniversary run.

View attachment 77686

View attachment 77687

View attachment 77688

View attachment 77689

View attachment 77690

View attachment 77691

View attachment 77692

View attachment 77693

View attachment 77694

View attachment 77695
I was sorely tempted by this but it was not cheap and I am. I will ogle from afar.

One might not like 2d20 or Cypher, but both of their production quality is to the same as FL.
Well I quite like Cypher - it's not a default of mine, but I don't mind it all the same, especially Numenera. Yes those MCG books are excellent quality.
As far as 2D20 goes, I like the core mechanic and not much else as far as mechanics go, but they have some pretty good setting licences. I do have all the Conan books and I was part of the John Carter crowd-funding, and their production quality is really great.

I also love the production quality coming out of Chaosium and Cubicle 7 these days. MCG and Modiphius are possibly slightly better, but it's all splitting hairs in the same stratosphere.

However I feel Free League is just that bit better than the rest, the textures of their hardcovers, the matte finish pages, stuff like that.

Either way we go, the production quality of most rpg books is pretty good these days!

Last edited:
Really surprised that didn't go big backer/money wise.
What made you expect it to go big?

I have no idea of the publisher's status. I mean, they seem very small press. They did a couple of pretty neat games but nothing too fancy when it comes to production values. Physical copies are not widely available if at all. Their site looks a bit wonky at the moment, but their pdf's can all be bought from DTRPG.

What made you expect it to go big?

I have no idea of the publisher's status. I mean, they seem very small press. They did a couple of pretty neat games but nothing too fancy when it comes to production values. Physical copies are not widely available if at all.
You have interesting concepts that are different from typical DnD fare and yet it's DnD 5e. It feels like often anything that's a DnD variant can really take off if it's got an interesting/different angle.

Wasteland Sagas has that feel in my opinion. So the potential for doing really well is there.

You have interesting concepts that are different from typical DnD fare and yet it's DnD 5e. It feels like often anything that's a DnD variant can really take off if it's got an interesting/different angle.

Wasteland Sagas has that feel in my opinion. So the potential for doing really well is there.
There's this infection/zombie game in their backlog called Pathogen Unclassified that also looks interesting, but I've not been able to find a place that sells it in print.

They recently Kickstarted Renegade City, a kind of GTA-like game that uses a set of dominoes.

Last edited:
In the last couple of days I acquired the following...

PSX_20240219_005106.jpg

POD copies of Myriad Song and Cthulhu Dark Ages from DTRPG. Both very nice quality and arrived very quickly too. Pretty pleased with that.

Rivers of London came from Amazon US. Looks a good implementation of BRP and a nicely done book overall. The only downside is that while Amazon US managed to get the book to the UK in around 3 days it then took two weeks for the Royal Mail to figure out what a parcel is, what they're meant to do with them, and then to actually deliver it. :facepalm:

View attachment 78135
View attachment 78136

Osric Player's Guide. Nice, large, readable fonts. No split tables. Dirt cheap price. Perfect table copy for any Osric or AD&D player.
Too many changes from AD&D for me to use it as a reference. I wonder if they will have a revised players guide after revising the core rules. I’m not down on OSRIC if that’s what you want to play but I question it’s usefulness as a reference due to the changes.

Too many changes from AD&D for me to use it as a reference. I wonder if they will have a revised players guide after revising the core rules. I’m not down on OSRIC if that’s what you want to play but I question it’s usefulness as a reference due to the changes.
With the ease of getting the pdfs and print on demand of the AD&D 1st edition books, I tend to ponder the need myself. Though I do think the OSRIC material is better written. Overall for anyone who came from the era that they played the old editions originally its a "six of one or half dozen of another" situation. Definitely not a need basically. I have the pdf and pod of OSRIC just because I love collecting game books but I definitely don't need it.

With the ease of getting the pdfs and print on demand of the AD&D 1st edition books, I tend to ponder the need myself. Though I do think the OSRIC material is better written. Overall for anyone who came from the era that they played the old editions originally its a "six of one or half dozen of another" situation. Definitely not a need basically. I have the pdf and pod of OSRIC just because I love collecting game books but I definitely don't need it.
Exactly, in fact there is a strong argument for a group that is new to the scene with no nostalgia to just grab OSRIC and not look back if they want to play AD&D 1E adventures without converting them.

Edit to add, my problem is mixing OSRIC and AD&D rulebooks together as interchangeable because you will have some conflicts. If you are only using OSRIC there is no issue at all.

I wish the AD&D Players Handbook would've been as easy to use as this one is. I'd have loved this back in the '80s. Besides, the interoperability with AD&D wouldn't be an issue for me. "Close enough" would suffice for my purposes.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back