Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Loom is a dark fantasy setting by Jesse Ross, designer of Trophy. Essentially a series of tables as tools to generate adventures, monsters, pretty much everthing for the setting. Pretty much system neutral.

20240405_160004.jpg

I still find understanding what Trophy is to be unusually impenetrable. It intrigues me, but no one seems to be able to explain it in a way that makes sense to me. I may just need to grab it at some stage, given Gauntlet’s other games (Hearts of Wulin and Brindlewood Bay) are amongst my top 10.

I still find understanding what Trophy is to be unusually impenetrable. It intrigues me, but no one seems to be able to explain it in a way that makes sense to me. I may just need to grab it at some stage, given Gauntlet’s other games (Hearts of Wulin and Brindlewood Bay) are amongst my top 10.

Let me take a quick stab at it: Trophy Dark is a bit storygamish although there is a GM.

It is a horror fantasy game about a group of adventurers penetrating a dark wood in search of treasure. It has a clear structure with a series of themed 'circles' as the PCs descend into increasingly nightmarish encounters and inevitably meet their doom.

This circle structure is a big part of the game and easily grasped so the GM can create their own. Now there are inumerable 'hacks' of the game with a number of different themes, settings and even genres beyond the initial premise of Trophy Dark.

Trophy Gold uses the Trophy structural approach to adapt classic dungeons into its playstyle but with a number of tweaks to better fit the more heroic assumptions of D&D-like play.

I just pulled the trigger on dead tree for all the Heart products. Next pay I'll get busy with that fancy new kickstarter.

View attachment 78761
I'm considering getting SPIRE and HEART at some stage.
Not sure if I'll ever run them, but they sure look creative and trippy - like an rpg setting created by Alejandro Jodorowsky, Mervyn Peake, Brian Lumley, Gene Wolfe, and David Lynch.

The reviews for both rpgs are really out there, but this recent one from Quinns Quest has me in stiches:
HEART (Quinns Quest review)

Last edited:
Let me take a quick stab at it: Trophy Dark is a bit storygamish although there is a GM.

It is a horror fantasy game about a group of adventurers penetrating a dark wood in search of treasure. It has a clear structure with a series of themed 'circles' as the PCs descend into increasingly nightmarish encounters and inevitably meet their doom.

This circle structure is a big part of the game and easily grasped so the GM can create their own. Now there are inumerable 'hacks' of the game with a number of different themes, settings and even genres beyond the initial premise of Trophy Dark.

Trophy Gold uses the Trophy structural approach to adapt classic dungeons into its playstyle but with a number of tweaks to better fit the more heroic assumptions of D&D-like play.
That is helpful, especially the distinction between Dark and Gold. In regard to mechanics, what are some of the main gameplay loops and why do they work well?

Sighs. Does no one use text anymore? I prefer to read not watch videos, but seriously thank you for at least finding something! :grin:
Since I haven't played them (yet) and I cannot actually show you any of the contents I figured the video would be more helpful. She actually played both games and will show some of the contents of the books on camera while explaining what they are like.

That is helpful, especially the distinction between Dark and Gold. In regard to mechanics, what are some of the main gameplay loops and why do they work well?
There are other threads on the board dedicated to Trophy (and to Heart and Spire) that dig into the details a bit.

I am too lazy/busy to post links right now.

Also looks like a pretty neat channel about solo RPGs, thanks :thumbsup:

Yeah, Deborah's channel is great for info on solo games, with lots of clear shots of book spreads and crochet needles. She's definitely not in it for the fame of being a YouTube star which is a nice change of pace. She did an interview on someone else's channel once and her video feed was nothing but her hands. Pretty funny.

Yeah, Deborah's channel is great for info on solo games, with lots of clear shots of book spreads and crochet needles. She's definitely not in it for the fame of being a YouTube star which is a nice change of pace. She did an interview on someone else's channel once and her video feed was nothing but her hands. Pretty funny.
I've been watching her channel for years now... total hobbyist, no bullshit.

Not so much something we originally got recently, but rather returned to us years after being stolen--ehem--borrowed without permission and taken far away--is a collection of rpg titles from the late 1990s (missing from our collection since circa 2013 or so). A half dozen first edition Legend of the Five Rings books? Yes, thank you very much. :coffee: :shade:

We've quite excited to have them back.

Paging Fenris-77 Fenris-77 because he's the one that seems the most familar, also.

I got this today, and I'm planning on reading it to see if I can use it for my Nightside-inspired game. Maybe it will work, if not I'll do a custom game.
Apocalypse Keys takes a number of great mechanics from other PbtA RPGs and adds them to a Hellboy style setting. Looks pretty good. I think the RPGs it borrowed from are fantastic so it has tempted me as well.

I really need to get better about this...

Nah, stay as you are. The surprise is much nicer than dealing with the arcane machinations of postal services!!!

On the bright side, UPS managed to deliver a couple of packages today (I assume this was related to the random card, covered in some kind of indecipherable eldritch runes, that they deemed to shove through my letterbox earlier in the week).

Along with a couple of collections of Gerry Conway's Batman stories, I received a copy of The Chronicles of Future Earth: Player's Guide.

PSX_20240408_000246.jpg

I picked it up out of curiosity after seeing some discussions of the extremely late delivery of the original Kickstarter and after being impressed by Sarah Newton's recent Lair of the Leopard Empresses.

It's a very nice looking book and the example characters remind me of the Fate 3.0 game Legends of Anglerre (although this game is based on Fate Core). I doubt it'll get played but it might be a nice source of optional rules though.

Nah, stay as you are. The surprise is much nicer than dealing with the arcane machinations of postal services!!!

On the bright side, UPS managed to deliver a couple of packages today (I assume this was related to the random card, covered in some kind of indecipherable eldritch runes, that they deemed to shove through my letterbox earlier in the week).

Along with a couple of collections of Gerry Conway's Batman stories, I received a copy of The Chronicles of Future Earth: Player's Guide.

View attachment 80488

I picked it up out of curiosity after seeing some discussions of the extremely late delivery of the original Kickstarter and after being impressed by Sarah Newton's recent Lair of the Leopard Empresses.

It's a very nice looking book and the example characters remind me of the Fate 3.0 game Legends of Anglerre (although this game is based on Fate Core). I doubt it'll get played but it might be a nice source of optional rules though.
I had no idea this was finally available. I liked the original BRP version but always felt it was incomplete. Given the rather hefty price-tag for the .pdf of this version, the fact that it is Fate, and that the other two books needed to play don't seem to be out, I doubt I'll be purchasing.

I had no idea this was finally available. I liked the original BRP version but always felt it was incomplete. Given the rather hefty price-tag for the .pdf of this version, the fact that it is Fate, and that the other two books needed to play don't seem to be out, I doubt I'll be purchasing.

I haven't read it yet but the Player's Guide (which is pretty big) seems to contain all the rules you need. The only issue you might have, with running the game out of the Player's Guide alone, is the lack of setting information. For my tastes there's enough detail, but I like brief overviews, and it's clear that there's a lot more coming on that front so, if you want to keep everything strictly on canon, then you'd want to wait. Nothing will change that it's Fate though (which I don't mind)!

View attachment 80488

Wow I'm a kickstarter back and just received the pdf
I had no idea that hard copies are already available
It's Fate, I'm okay with that, but I've gone off Fate a bit since I backed this
I really wish she had moved ahead doing it with BRP like her original version (or even Mythras)

Wow I'm a kickstarter back and just received the pdf
I had no idea that hard copies are already available

Did you back a tier with a physical copy? If so... not too great when non-backers get physical copies before the backers. I've been there myself. More than once even. It's not the end of the world but it is annoying.

It's Fate, I'm okay with that, but I've gone off Fate a bit since I backed this
I really wish she had moved ahead doing it with BRP like her original version (or even Mythras)

The BRP -> Fate move did seem like an odd choice. After seeing Lairs of the Leopard Empresses I'm surprised Sarah didn't go with T&T/M!M! as the system for this. I think it would have worked well. A BRP related system, as you note, would seem the more obvious choice though. What is interesting, is that in the intro to this version it does say that this implementation of Fate has been tweaked to allow for a grittier zero-to-hero approach with character death very much on the cards. I think that will work just fine but, at the same time, it is not known as Fate's forte... so, again, Fate seems an unusual choice.

From the last few months...

april24.PNG

Tabloid, probably not to use as is but the idea of having the PCs being journalists for a tabloid should make for a fun, short campaign.

Japan Empire of Shadows is really impressive, kudos for the massive amount of images ("how do a 1920 japanese cop looks like?" It's here!).

I haven't read Branches of Bone (viking scenario for CoC) or Cursed but reviews were pretty good.

Jackals because d100 light + Sword and sandals is always cool.

Sigil and Shadow, having read Promethea, Swamp Thing and viewed once again Jodorowsky's Holy Moutain, I knew I needed that game.

EDIT: and I forgot about BRP, but does it need any introduction?

Last edited:
Tabloid, probably not to use as is but the idea of having the PCs being journalists for a tabloid should make for a fun, short campaign.

I've wanted to get a look at this for a long time as I'd like to see how it compares to Pandemonium! Adventures in Tabloid World (which I own). Is it a used copy or a POD?

Japan Empire of Shadows is really impressive, kudos for the massive amount of images ("how do a 1920 japanese cop looks like?" It's here!).

I'm really interested in this and quite jealous! Does it contain stats for Yokai by any chance?

Did you back a tier with a physical copy? If so... not too great when non-backers get physical copies before the backers. I've been there myself. More than once even. It's not the end of the world but it is annoying.
Yeah I backed for physical copies, but I'm down in Australia so sometimes we get them a bit later.
However we don't get them all that late,and out of courtesy you would think they could wait a month until the backers received their copies
The BRP -> Fate move did seem like an odd choice. After seeing Lairs of the Leopard Empresses I'm surprised Sarah didn't go with T&T/M!M! as the system for this. I think it would have worked well. A BRP related system, as you note, would seem the more obvious choice though. What is interesting, is that in the intro to this version it does say that this implementation of Fate has been tweaked to allow for a grittier zero-to-hero approach with character death very much on the cards. I think that will work just fine but, at the same time, it is not known as Fate's forte... so, again, Fate seems an unusual choice.
Yeah I was into Fate Core at the time, but since have moved off it unless its for pulpy genres. Adding dials to try and make Fate more gritty is such a unusual choice, especially since Sarah's original version was in BRP, which was a perfect fit for a gritty genre.

I've wanted to get a look at this for a long time as I'd like to see how it compares to Pandemonium! Adventures in Tabloid World (which I own). Is it a used copy or a POD?

I'm really interested in this and quite jealous! Does it contain stats for Yokai by any chance?
Tabloid is a POD as they're rather cheap on DTRPG.

Empire of Shadows comes with stats for a few Yokai (five, each with a classic illustrations). The book is 400 pages long and litterally jam-packed with info.
I think it's worth every penny.

Tabloid is a POD as they're rather cheap on DTRPG.

Empire of Shadows comes with stats for a few Yokai (five, each with a classic illustrations). The book is 400 pages long and litterally jam-packed with info.
I think it's worth every penny.
I've been tempted as well, but haven't taken the plunge so far...:shade:

As always if you're going to run a horror-themed game in 1920s Japan it's a no brainer, otherwise it's just going to be an expensive dust collector :grin:
As it happens, though, I am probably going to, it's just not exactly cheap, and likely to become more expensive due to DT not having an European printer...:angel:

Yes, I'm still sorry for having had to pay custom duty on Raiders of R'lyeh:thumbsup:!

Last edited:
I have a happy day today. I mean I have a sore throat and my head hurts a little, but more importantly, I've received two packages today.

First one was a set of Burning Wheel books. I've recently joined a PbP Burning Wheel game, so I was excited to have a reason for buying these :grin:
bw_books.jpg

The second package contained two BattleTech miniature packs. I was waiting for these since January or so.
battletech_packs.jpg

There are other threads on the board dedicated to Trophy (and to Heart and Spire) that dig into the details a bit.

I am too lazy/busy to post links right now.
Quick question regarding Trophy Dark. Can it be run it be with little to no prep? Or does it require a prewritten scenario or prep to work?

Got my physical copies of the Outgunned RPG (by the same folks who made Broken Compass). The accessories (dice, decks) are in a box made to look like a VHS tape case.

Niiiiice. Glad to see rewards are starting to ship now. I went pretty much all in with some add-ons too. Can't wait to get my hands on it all!

It's been a while since I've done one of these...
1712809048483.png

From Kickstarters - It's actually pretty cool that they include physical assets for the Alchemy VTT purchases
1712809057506.png
I'd not heard of the Legacy of Cthulhu so decided to pick it up on Amazon. Dusk City Outlaws I've been after for a while and got it on an exchange on RPGG.
1712809067260.png
Cypher Kickstarter, Oracle Character Generator from a Kickstarter, and Return to the Dark Tower in the Pyramid system (reminds me of Aganst the Dark Lord in theme)
1712809076457.png
Two more Kickstarters
1712809085379.png
And Four more...
1712809094479.png
And some Osprey RPGs
1712809104382.png
Outgunned delivered and glad I went all in.
1712809115094.png
Forgot that I had this picture already of the Kickstarter on the left- the one on the right I have the PDF from Kickstarter but wanted the HC.

Got my physical copies of the Outgunned RPG (by the same folks who made Broken Compass). The accessories (dice, decks) are in a box made to look like a VHS tape case.

View attachment 80596
Oh wow, I will have to get this to sit next to my Broken Compass collection one day.
(It's supposedly pretty similar in core mechanics, with a few changes, so I'll have to review the differences at some stage)
I love the digest size book format (similar to Broken Compass), but fitting it in a slipcase to look like a VHS tape is truly wonderful

It's been a while since I've done one of these...
View attachment 80615

From Kickstarters - It's actually pretty cool that they include physical assets for the Alchemy VTT purchases
View attachment 80616
I'd not heard of the Legacy of Cthulhu so decided to pick it up on Amazon. Dusk City Outlaws I've been after for a while and got it on an exchange on RPGG.
View attachment 80617
Cypher Kickstarter, Oracle Character Generator from a Kickstarter, and Return to the Dark Tower in the Pyramid system (reminds me of Aganst the Dark Lord in theme)
View attachment 80618
Two more Kickstarters
View attachment 80619
And Four more...
View attachment 80620
And some Osprey RPGs
View attachment 80621
Outgunned delivered and glad I went all in.
View attachment 80622
Forgot that I had this picture already of the Kickstarter on the left- the one on the right I have the PDF from Kickstarter but wanted the HC.
Oh wow that's quite some Monty Haul you have there mate - Enjoy !!!

Oh wow, I will have to get this to sit next to my Broken Compass collection one day.
(It's supposedly pretty similar in core mechanics, with a few changes, so I'll have to review the differences at some stage)
I love the digest size book format (similar to Broken Compass), but fitting it in a slipcase to look like a VHS tape is truly wonderful
I love Two Little Mice, but I opted out of Outgunned because I hadn't even tried out Broken Compass at the time of the kickstarter. I figured I didn't need even more bad conscience on my shelves.

But damn does it look good. I very much look forward to a contrast and compare of the two games.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back