Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Over at DriveThru, Adamant Entertainment is giving away a "15th Anniversary Flashback" that includes the first issue of their d20 swashbuckling 'zine, Buccaneers and Bokor. I was particularly impressed with the island descriptions, especially the one that managed to combine a decent explanation for dinosaur survival, real Caribbean history, and a Big Trouble in Little China reference.

Over at DriveThru, Adamant Entertainment is giving away a "15th Anniversary Flashback" that includes the first issue of their d20 swashbuckling 'zine, Buccaneers and Bokor. I was particularly impressed with the island descriptions, especially the one that managed to combine a decent explanation for dinosaur survival, real Caribbean history, and a Big Trouble in Little China reference.
That sounds pretty damn cool. I'll have to check it out.

I saw that...any idea if there are significant changes from 1e?

I've not got 1e, so a bit tricky for me to comment. I believe the 4 character classes hae been modified a bit and armour has new rules. There's also a lot of random tables and stuff to help improvise a game as the text is about 120 pages now.

I've not got 1e, so a bit tricky for me to comment. I believe the 4 character classes hae been modified a bit and armour has new rules. There's also a lot of random tables and stuff to help improvise a game as the text is about 120 pages now.
That all sounds extremely welcome, actually. I believe that the armor rules of The Black Hack were almost universally criticized.

After my giftbuying binge, I finally received my print copy of everywhen.

I'm reading (for review) a game called Endless Realms that seems too crunchy for my tastes, but full of so many evocative and delicious details that I am pretty sure I'm going to be recommending it anyway.

And in keeping tabs on my archrival, I've purchased his pre-Prime work for Cortex Plus Fantasy, A Registry of Rules that I am currently giving its first read-through. Can't recommend it on the basis of the first page, but I'm confident that I've purchased well.

Laserburn is really fun, and the gameline and minis are still available from Alternative Armies.

(also great if one wants some cheap Judge Dredd minis)

Yep I really dig it. I ordered the rule book and the supplements still available about five or six years ago. It's a bit roll heavy, and the turn structure isn't really clearly articulated, but the games I've played of it have been fun.

There is also quite a few homemade supplements floating around for it that seem to have been the product of a short lived yahoo group.

I recently received Aperita Arcana for Fate Core. It's a great book that is an excellent toolbox resource for playing Fate Core in a classic fantasy setting. I'm very impressed. Considering that Evil Hat hasn't brought out a Fantasy Toolkit, then this fills the gap.
I am running The One Ring scenarios with Fate Core, so this book is pretty helpful.
Highly recommended for Fate Core fans!

Last edited:
On the heels of the Chaosium announcement, I ordered hardcover copies of Prince Valiant and Pendragon 5.2. Anxiously awaiting their arrival!

Not an RPG, but I also picked up a few lots of Papo medieval figures on Ebay for my son's Xmas present. So far I've resisted the temptation to covertly play with them while he's asleep, but Christmas is still over a month away... :hehe:

Interesting that you mention Necromunda, I recently dug up the old Confrontation rules from WD magazine. They were the predecessor to Necromunda and introduced the basic lore of the planet. System wise it's a cleaned up version of the old Laserburn rules which is a percentile system. It looks a little fiddly but I'm really digging it.

I'm going to kit bash together a couple of gangs this week and give it a go.
Heh, I just read the Confrontation rules last night from Yaktribe. It's worth scrounging up just for the detailed Rogue Trader Era view of Necromunda and the setting.

I managed to replace some of my Cyberpunk 2020 books that vanished between the UAE and Germany so I'm happy about that.

Got my hardcopy of Warhammer 4e a week or two back and had an enjoyable game of Night of Blood using it. Really liking this.

I picked up a copy the The Black Hack 2e a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I'm not a huge fan of OSR products as I don't any real nostaligia attached to D&D (I was a Dragon Warriors fan!), but it's a fresh enough take on the familiar tropes that I'm really keen to try it out.
I didn't realise there is a second edition of it. Interesting. Are you familiar with the first edition? Is there much difference? Sorry didn't read far enough down, to see your answers on this:smile:

I just ordered Maze Of The Blue Medusa, still waiting for it to arrive but I got the pdf with it.
Having a brief glance at the pdf, I can say that this looks impressive; a classic sprawling megadungeon with a weird fantasy punky edge to it.
I don't have LoFP, but I could easily run this with DCC or S&W, and it also wouldnt take much to use it with D&D 5E.
However I might just want to convert it to BRP as well (Magic World). We'll see.
Some interesting situations in there, it looks like a wild read and will be a challenge to my group.

Last edited:
Just picked up The Gladiator Pits of Gorn for ICONS. ICONS is one of my favorite games, and one of my favorite things about it is the implied setting. It's very old school they way they add a few details here and there, to be discovered through the adventures, rather than written all up as a setting book. One of these days, I plan to sit down and read through all my ICONS PDFs and piece together everything I can about the setting, just for fun. Anyway, this adventure gives us a bit more about the Molten Men and their underground realm, and the major hero and villain, Volcano and Gorn (respectively). Good stuff.

I didn't realise there is a second edition of it. Interesting. Are you familiar with the first edition? Is there much difference? Sorry didn't read far enough down, to see your answers on this:smile:

From what I gather (I don't own 1e):

- Armour rules are different
- The 4 classes have tweaked abilities
- Spells work differently somehow/a bit
- There's lots of additional random tables and guidance stuff

Just picked up The Gladiator Pits of Gorn for ICONS. ICONS is one of my favorite games, and one of my favorite things about it is the implied setting. It's very old school they way they add a few details here and there, to be discovered through the adventures, rather than written all up as a setting book. One of these days, I plan to sit down and read through all my ICONS PDFs and piece together everything I can about the setting, just for fun. Anyway, this adventure gives us a bit more about the Molten Men and their underground realm, and the major hero and villain, Volcano and Gorn (respectively). Good stuff.

I kind of did an ICONS-verse campaign, relying heavily on official published adventures and villains. I with a few tweaks managed to weave The Mastermind Affair, Jailbreak and The Sideral Schemes of Dr Zodiac as one coherent story-arc mixed with some of the other one-shots . I even managed to squeeze in a SpiderFridge (Susan) cameo. Good times!

I kind of did an ICONS-verse campaign, relying heavily on official published adventures and villains. I with a few tweaks managed to weave The Mastermind Affair, Jailbreak and The Sideral Schemes of Dr Zodiac as one coherent story-arc mixed with some of the other one-shots . I even managed to squeeze in a SpiderFridge (Susan) cameo. Good times!
That sounds awesome. I'm envious!

After my giftbuying binge, I finally received my print copy of everywhen.

How do you like Everywhen? I'm a big fan of BoL and Dicey Tales, and followed the community preview. Didn't have a chance to really playtest it though.

How do you like Everywhen? I'm a big fan of BoL and Dicey Tales, and followed the community preview. Didn't have a chance to really playtest it though.

I have not had a chance to playtest it either, but it feels like a good solid toolkit combining the best of Barbarians of Lemuria and Dogs of WAR. I feel like it could have been toolkittier, though, with content about replacing Attributes and Combat Abilities, and with more guidelines on setting design. Still very solid for the price, and I'm glad I bought nine copies.

I just ordered Maze Of The Blue Medusa, still waiting for it to arrive but I got the pdf with it.
Having a brief glance at the pdf, I can say that this looks impressive; a classic sprawling megadungeon with a weird fantasy punky edge to it.
I don't have LoFP, but I could easily run this with DCC or S&W, and it also wouldnt take much to use it with D&D 5E.
However I might just want to convert it to BRP as well (Magic World). We'll see.
Some interesting situations in there, it looks like a wild read and will be a challenge to my group.
Just updating this - my hard copy arrived.

Such a beautifully made book, very study hard cover, and looks great, just like Red & Pleasant Land.

This book is much thicker than I thought, this is definately going to take some time to get thru.

Really great physical book to own.

I wish there was more art, but what is there is bizarre, emotive, and atmospheric, really great for the setting.

I just have to work out whether this is going to be run with D&D OSR (DCC/S&W), or whether I tweak it for D&D 5E. I may even do a full system conversion to some variant of BRP, given I prefer such. The D&D OSR stat blocks don't bog things down, the descriptions are quite evocative and it will be easy to portray the challenges in any system.

Really great stuff for anyone who wants to try something a bit different with their classic fantasy settings.

Last edited:
Yeah, the reviews that covered the binding etc. are what made me decide to get a physical copy. It's something you wouldn't feel embarrassed to display.

I have Maze but pdf only. Will spring for the hardcopy sometime.

I may have to check out the new Black Hack. I own the Rad Hack but being a complete OSR noob I feel reading Black Hack would clarify some of the assumptions it seems to make.

Recently picked up the recent edition of RuneQuest.
Great setting and nicely produced books
1873718660_IMG_2752(2).JPG.6a8d710bc7aa9c5301dbb36ce93db6e9.JPG
Does it have Pushed Roles?

Last edited:
Does it have Pushed Roles?
Nope, RQG doesn't have any of the specific CoC 7E dials from what I can see, but they could be easily added if you want players to have some consistency between CoC 7E and RQG.

RQG is basically RQ2 + Pendragon dials (Passions, Virtues/Runes)

Very lengthy lifepath char gen involving family history, its really cool.

There's an optional quick char gen process if needed, although thats not really the focus here. Its much better to do the lifepath char gen to bring the character backstory history alive.

Nope, RQG doesn't have any of the specific CoC 7E dials from what I can see, but they could be easily added if you want players to have some consistency between CoC 7E and RQG.

RQG is basically RQ2 + Pendragon dials (Passions, Virtues/Runes)

Very lengthy lifepath char gen involving family history, its really cool.

There's an optional quick char gen process if needed, although thats not really the focus here. Its much better to do the lifepath char gen to bring the character backstory history alive.

RuneQuest plus Pendragon? Sold.

RuneQuest plus Pendragon? Sold.
Yep, if they remained somewhat true to what Design Mechanism did with RQ6, I'll definitely be picking up the new Chaosium RQ and the Glorantha book. Who am I kidding? I'm going to get them anyway. Got a chance to look at the RQ rulebook one of my CoC players brought to the game. Very nice layout and artwork.

That was the same day my hardcover Keeper's Rulebook for CoC7e arrived. Test drove it that day and had a blast with my group. We're playing through an arc I've titled "Digital Nightmare" running with an article and adventure in Challenge magazine coupled with some info from the Chaosium Digest, the 1990s Handbook and an adventure from The Stars Are Right (plus the 7e update pack for said adventure). It's amazing how all that material dovetails together regardless of the source.

The crew came through the first adventure relatively intact physically, but minus some SAN (which they regained at the end after dispatching the monster and putting its summoner in the hospital). But, there's some complications for their investigation on the horizon...

Ha! On the day that Dungeon of the Mad Mage is officially available from Amazon, they tell me that expected delivery is 1-3 months! Very good price, mind you. I expect they've sold so many copies they need to restock to fulfill all the pre-orders.

Ha! On the day that Dungeon of the Mad Mage is officially available from Amazon, they tell me that expected delivery is 1-3 months! Very good price, mind you. I expect they've sold so many copies they need to restock to fulfill all the pre-orders.
This is lame. That happened to me with the OD&D woodbox reprint. They never delivered. Hope you have better luck with your shipment.

Reactions: OHT
Internet connection. I've been using mobile internet for about a month now, but my internet connection (which involved no less than five different parties) has finally gone live in my new abode. The various parties that had to get involved were:
  • BT.
  • The landlord.
  • The landlord's electricians.
  • The building's property management company.
  • The building's freeholder
To paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson: Internet connection - how hard can it be?

Sadly, it's not the longest I've had to wait to get an internet connection working properly. #Firstworldproblems

Well, I've obtained the whole Microlite collection in anticipation of trying again on my retrogame.

My copy Dungeon of the Mad Mage arrived this morning. Hopefully I can get a chance to read it this week and give my thoughts.

Oh, hope mine will be here soon.

Had a discount at Magic Mayhem in the UK so bought WFRP 4e. Looks pretty good so far, albeit slightly more crunchy than previous outings. Like what they've done with careers a lot - and there's still room for plenty more. Itching to roll up a character but family stuff intrudes. Le sigh.

Breaking the rules of my own thread here with an announcement and a question...

First, the announcement. I noticed in DriveThru today that the new Kult has been released. I hope you weren't expecting it to be reasonably priced! I know they completely changed the mechanics, and I've heard something about it being a Powered game - not that I was a big fan of the original mechanics, mind you. I'm on the fence with this one, so if someone gets it, please report back.

Second, the question. I picked up Everywhen based on learning (in this thread) that it was based on the BoL engine. I've always appreciated BoL, but now something about the rules is getting on my nerves a little: the asymmetrical nature of the basic resolution roll. On an unmodified 2d6, success occurs on 9+. This just rubs me wrong, since the odds for attempted stealthiness is going to depend on whether the ninja or the sentry is making the roll, for example. What happens in an opposed roll? It seems to imply that the mechanics are all player-facing and that opposed rolls are just not done - after all, initiative is very player-centric (i.e. roll to act before enemy rabble).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back