Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Nothing quite as interesting as the packages some of you have been getting but the postie just dropped off the new Mansions of Madness from Chaosium plus the Aquelarre Game Directors Screen, a beautiful piece of cardboard. It's a four section screen so getting a picture is hard but I'll see what I can do.

I keep dropping hints to the wife to buy me the Twin Peaks: The Return set but she has yet to take the hint.
I watched Twin Peaks with my (now former) girlfriend over the summer. She'd never seen it and didn't even know anything about it. I had to keep my copy of The Return hidden during the first couple of seasons. The cover is a bit of a spoiler for the end of season two.

51UzC%2BB5zML._SX385_.jpg

So, I went to the Chaosium site to check that out. Turns out I somehow had $34.99 store credit with them! I had no idea. Still have no idea why. Since fantasy is not really my bag, I ended up ordering Mansions of Madness and Secrets of Morocco for Call of Cthulhu instead, as they are having a big sale on a lot of their older books, presumably clearing out the warehouse and raising capital by getting rid of outdated stock. These will be the first published scenarios I've ever owned for Call of Cthulhu. Paid a total of $6.27. Pretty sweet deal.
The Chaosium books arrived fast! An expansion for the Luchador RPG also arrived today.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Now I want to combine them and run a globe-trotting luchadores contra Cthulhu campaign using Lucha Libre Hero as another resource but using the simpler Luchador RPG for the rules. I have all the supplements. It's not an amazing game, but it's good enough and easier to jump into than Hero System.

I keep dropping hints to the wife to buy me the Twin Peaks: The Return set but she has yet to take the hint.
I hear ya. I took my wife to the local comic book store to show her the Jack Burton and Dale Cooper Funco Pop! figures she could get me for my birthday this month. I am pretty sure she forgot about it 5 minutes after we left the store.

Now I want to combine them and run a globe-trotting luchadores contra Cthulhu campaign using Lucha Libre Hero as another resource but using the simpler Luchador RPG for the rules. I have all the supplements. It's not an amazing game, but it's good enough and easier to jump into than Hero System.
I would so play in that game.

A few months ago, I finally got my hands on Damnation City for Vampire: The Requiem. That book, and Block by Bloody Block have long been my go-to in PDF format for building out cities, defining territories, and making an open-sandbox Vampire or Hunter game feel lived in and real.

Getting my hands on a physical copy just brought me joy. So I couldn't pass up the opportunity as it's not being printed any longer.

I'm in the home stretch of prep for our second campaign today. So here's my work stack:

20201003_145151.jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
I wasn't looking to acquire more gaming stuff, but I found this at a low price and couldn't resist since I was already fantasizing about running a Space: 1889 game over in the "Whatcha Readin'" thread:
Thinking up ideas for a Space: 1889 game that will likely never happen...
View attachment 22937
All I had before was the rulebook so this supplement will be utterly new to me.

The Alien RPG by Free League.

I really, really like this system. Especially the Stress dice idea. Really elegant, in my opinion.

Plus I love to flip through the rulebook. So atmospheric. And I appreciate the author's attempts to merge the Lore of the setting from all the different movies. How the Xenos thrive in isolation, without a Queen.

Very cool and I take back my negative comments a year or so ago when this was first announced.

Just got this lovely giant from Mierce Miniatures...

View attachment 22959

Ostensibly he's for my Warmaster-in-28mm Undead army, but I'm thinking of making some custom Kingdom Death rules for him, as he definitely fits that aesthetic
That... That is AWESOME. If you do paint him, please show when done. PLEASE!

actually at that size (he stands 158mm tall), I think it's a good opportunity for me to try doing him entirely in oil paints

Of course you're going to OSL all those lanterns. Right? Right?!

Of course you're going to OSL all those lanterns. Right? Right?!

Indeed, but subtle OSL. Some guys take that WAY too far these days.

That is one of the things that really appeals to me about it though, all those different individual light sources spread across the model

Indeed, but subtle OSL. Some guys take that WAY too far these days.
Yeah, bunch of look at me mofos. Ive seen some spectacular models done with heavy OSL, but those are the minority.

from Mierce Miniatures
At one point Mierce were trying to fund a kind of dungeon crawler with lots of minis through Kickstarter but it fell through. Do you know if there are plans to give that another try?

At one point Mierce were trying to fund a kind of dungeon crawler with lots of minis through Kickstarter but it fell through. Do you know if there are plans to give that another try?

I dunno, never heard anything about it. I just know them for Darklands

huh, 2017. I've heard no talk of it since, maybe they abandoned the idea when the KS failed?

They have been very prolific with new minis, I get emails from them all the time

huh, 2017. I've heard no talk of it since, maybe they abandoned the idea when the KS failed?

They have been very prolific with new minis, I get emails from them all the time
That's a pity. At the time, I was thinking of picking up one dungeon crawler board game and I thought theirs looked cool. Since then, I bought CMON's Massive Darkness instead, and I own more than enough boardgames with minis now, really. But Mierce's minis looked particularly cool, so I think if they ever decide to have another go at it I would back it.

A few months ago, I finally got my hands on Damnation City for Vampire: The Requiem. That book, and Block by Bloody Block have long been my go-to in PDF format for building out cities, defining territories, and making an open-sandbox Vampire or Hunter game feel lived in and real.

Getting my hands on a physical copy just brought me joy. So I couldn't pass up the opportunity as it's not being printed any longer.

I'm in the home stretch of prep for our second campaign today. So here's my work stack:

View attachment 22909

Those books are really, really cool and I wish I’d actually done something with either or both of them at the game table (and/or that other WoD and CoD lines had city books half as good as those). I talk a big OSR game but urban dark fantasy sandboxes are what I really feel at home building.

My shitload of flat plastic minis from Arcknight has arrived at the collection point for pick-up! I'll pick them up later this afternoon.

We're playing Bubblegumshoe at the moment, so I picked up a copy of the rulebook, and so far after reading through it I really like it; it's a simple and trimmed-down implementation of the Gumshoe system (Specifically designed in this case for kids solving mysteries, like Veronica Mars or the Hardy Boys) and in particular I like the way it handles contacts (As a pool of semi-focused points) and social combat (While "annoy someone enough they lose their cool and storm off" might not conceptually work for adults, it makes sense for kids). It's also an Evil Hat book, so it has their typically great layout and art direction.

We're playing Bubblegumshoe at the moment, so I picked up a copy of the rulebook, and so far after reading through it I really like it; it's a simple and trimmed-down implementation of the Gumshoe system (Specifically designed in this case for kids solving mysteries, like Veronica Mars or the Hardy Boys) and in particular I like the way it handles contacts (As a pool of semi-focused points) and social combat (While "annoy someone enough they lose their cool and storm off" might not conceptually work for adults, it makes sense for kids). It's also an Evil Hat book, so it has their typically great layout and art direction.
I really need to pick that up. I remember Ken Hite talking about it on his podcast around the time it came out. It sounds like the kind of book with solid ideas for investigative games whether I actually end up running the game or not.

While "annoy someone enough they lose their cool and storm off" might not conceptually work for adults
Never give adults too much credit. I've dealt with a particular individual who turned this into an art, and that was in no way as funny as it may sound.

addendum: Guy was a downright narcissist, getting off on people's flustered and annoyed reactions to his taunting and "jokes". Really made you almost want to kill him at times. Extremely toxic person, especially in a workplace situation.

2nd addendum: He just wouldn't quit, no matter what. Any reaction was giving him some kind of kick, even ignoring him. But I made him quit eventually, by reporting his ass to HR and the manager.

Last edited:
I didn't even know those existed. I might have to pick up the Spider Queen pack as a tester.
I don't know whereabouts you are, but it cost me an arm and a leg to have them sent here. Better to binge-order.

There's a few alternatives that might be worth checking out as well:

Dungeon in a Box have Skinny Minis: https://dungeoninabox.com/
Geek Tank Games also have several sets of flat minis: https://geektankgames.com/

Picked up a copy of Mutant Crawl Classics a couple weeks ago. I'm pretty stoked about it. I'd like to run a mash up campaign using both it and DCC.

I wanted to love MCC so much - but it just didn't quite do it for me. For my tastes, The Umerican Survival Guide was a better treatment of the genre for the DCC ruleset. (USG and MCC are probably blendable - but I've never tried).

Oh man I forgot: at the end of the summer I managed to snag the beautiful 30th Anniversary edition of the WEG Star Wars RPG. Second-hand through Facebook Marketplace (for 40$ CAD!!!):

81whczkxoAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It is really a beautiful set... and the rules are pretty kick ass. I can totally understand how some players prefer the 1st edition over the others. Really charming simplicity!

Example: the initiative rules are neat for blaster fights. Whoever gets the highest attack roll shoots first. God damn how perfect is that?!?

I'd argue that the simplicity makes it fast and quick but also easily modifiable (just like 0e D&D).

The really sad part is that we can't play with my son's friends who are crazy Star Wars fanatics (~8 years old). Stupid Pandemic.

Oh man I forgot: at the end of the summer I managed to snag the beautiful 30th Anniversary edition of the WEG Star Wars RPG. Second-hand through Facebook Marketplace (for 40$ CAD!!!):

View attachment 23019

It is really a beautiful set... and the rules are pretty kick ass. I can totally understand how some players prefer the 1st edition over the others. Really charming simplicity!

Example: the initiative rules are neat for blaster fights. Whoever gets the highest attack roll shoots first. God damn how perfect is that?!?

I'd argue that the simplicity makes it fast and quick but also easily modifiable (just like 0e D&D).

The really sad part is that we can't play with my son's friends who are crazy Star Wars fanatics (~8 years old). Stupid Pandemic.
The last 21 years of Star Wars have successfully killed off all interest I have in the property, but this game remains one of my fondest memories of childhood gaming and I would happily dive into that original trilogy galaxy again if the opportunity came up.

View attachment 23019

Zoom?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back