Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Darling, IMO, is one of those words that carries with it negative connotations. Calling a game an rpg.net darling isn't a reason to buy it.

Mythras popularity and Mythras players' fandom here is overblown by people who don't like it, ironically by the people who like a game system more deserving of the term, PbtA.

The reason it had negative connotations is because people would ask for game recommendations, even for OGL d20 games, and the answer would be “Exalted (or other darling) is exactly what you need!” Not what they wanted, what they needed.

Now, that doesn’t happen here, which is why I made sure to insert clown.

I see Mythras does that more than any other single system here. It doesn't bother me, Mythras is a great system, and very flexible, if not my exact cup of tea as a go-to. Sure, I joke about the Mythras thing, but there's nothing wrong with system at all. I don't have some sort of hate on for it that some other people here have for their pet [insert story game here] though.

I see Mythras does that more than any other single system here. It doesn't bother me, Mythras is a great system, and very flexible, if not my exact cup of tea as a go-to. Sure, I joke about the Mythras thing, but there's nothing wrong with system at all. I don't have some sort of hate on for it that some other people here have for their pet [insert story game here] though.
That’s what’s happens with a toolkit system that isn’t chock full of specific genre and playstyle enforcing mechanics. It’s broadly applicable. People recommend GURPS and HERO for many things, there just aren’t as many people here playing those.

That’s what’s happens with a toolkit system that isn’t chock full of specific genre and playstyle enforcing mechanics. It’s broadly applicable. People recommend GURPS and HERO for many things, there just aren’t as many people here playing those.
Personally, I vastly prefer Mythras to either of those, but some of that is familiarity, and some of it is I think it's a more elegant system, or at least more in line with my personal gaming aesthetic. It is a very capable multi-genre system though, no doubt, as are the other two.

Not that there's anything wrong with genre tools, despite your dislike, but they're only good for what they're good for.

View attachment 25603
There's just something about the art and premise that grabbed me. Surely buying cooperative board games during a pandemic is a smart idea?
First of all, love that cover! I have to check the game out based on that alone.

Second of all, I have found Tabletop Simulator on Steam to be a decent enough replacement for in-person boardgames while the pandemic is raging. Maybe someone has ported this into Tabletop Simulator.

Even though I’ve ripped on 5E for other genres, I actually thought the 3E OGL was a very good toolkit to use for a lot of genres (Spycraft/Fantasy Craft, d20 Modern, Murants & Masterminds are but a few examples of great games). When you strip it down and build it back up, it can be very effective at doing a wide variety of things.

Yeah it's also said in jest quite often too. That might not always be clear to people who don't know the in jokes here. Also some people here do have a strong preference for it so in some cases that answer is telling the other Mythras lovers(man autocorrect has a persistent foul mouth!) where they can find a new setting.

First of all, love that cover! I have to check the game out based on that alone.

Second of all, I have found Tabletop Simulator on Steam to be a decent enough replacement for in-person boardgames while the pandemic is raging. Maybe someone has ported this into Tabletop Simulator.

Yeah it was the art that got me hooked! Haven't played it yet but it looks like a lot of fun and, more importantly, doesn't run for hours.

I will check that out, there's a few games i'd love to play online (ahem, Frostgrave) and if there's way then i'll try to get EftDC a play through!

My copy of Perceforest from Aeon Games arrived last weekend. I've given it a readthrough, and if you want "Pendragon with Mythras," this is going to be your one-stop shop. I would have preferred sticking with the original material's 'pre-Arthurian Britain through medieval eyes' setting instead of painting over the serial numbers, but there's plenty of meat here.
Same here. I completely understand the changes he made to make the setting more gameable, such as expanding the role of the Fae Forest into being a primary thematic antagonist, but I didn't really get the need for renaming Scotland and England and their counties and NPCs. I suppose it's so that he can develop it into his own setting in time and not be bound to the original material, but I still found it a bit odd.

I just got my copy of this, which Pub regular Séadna Séadna worked on.
ACtC-3eI0BmHL--rFMXBJh78JW5q0NfJ8OeCUC4weQIdYSL4E_74jOf9RPGm3GzRmgRSBmrkIHeOgD9CSFqki37zwb2xeT6it6VajVVVw8dnKKNYIxkjzpf9DxSLNdUuEJCOCKO5ZbSxExr7dRdZm1hgh7APAA=w982-h1308-no

ACtC-3fw8NnQ4HvoPlUMRxo9KrTWPtWl7t7x2OELV79Q9SpcCNXjMSh6aSj43BKX8dWcvEs28C1T6XxEcSoFSz0Bp9SNUuis1hd9DTcoLbGiHEcbY6vw_hqhkPGaRRCyJUloHtqJ7NRdaPUuFpiPOodsgO51bw=w982-h1308-no

ACtC-3flL7TqPT0y2vSxOcuilQdZKcslAsF9nRwqahyVjubGPBhsx-a_2kWrq0YC0xMdaU6fG0PJyU4ZOG2KYaqe1KkRIpTHU0voqDHVl1efHFIuNF2it3dMQILPsk2IfahkN2BxQN8Hc-bvg3igNF5brSRo8g=w1743-h1308-no

Same here. I completely understand the changes he made to make the setting more gameable, such as expanding the role of the Fae Forest into being a primary thematic antagonist, but I didn't really get the need for renaming Scotland and England and their counties and NPCs. I suppose it's so that he can develop it into his own setting in time and not be bound to the original material, but I still found it a bit odd.

What names does he use? I can see why England and Scotland are out for anachronism reasons, but there are plenty of alternative pseudo-Arthurian names for the parts of the island.

Picked up the Handy Rotary Series of Ace of Aces. One of my favorite games ever. Paid thirty plus shipping. Which is about half of what I see other copies going for. Box was rough, but nothing a little packing tape won't "fix" (yeah, I'm the type of guy tapes his boxes - and sometimes his books). Books inside are pretty clean, save one small tear on the back cover of one. Goes nicely with the Powerhouse Series I picked up for twenty bucks at Half Price Books a few years ago. That one is showing its age.

I'm tempted to scan these, so that they can be played on an electronic device. Wouldn't be the same as flipping through a physical book, but eventually these are going to fall apart. When they do, I see no reason not to preserve them digitally.

ab8a76.jpeg

Picked up the Handy Rotary Series of Ace of Aces. One of my favorite games ever.

I remember playing those a lot back when they were new. My main opponent usually beat me, but it was fun nonetheless. I was also a big fan of the Avalon Hill game Richthofen's War.

I remember playing those a lot back when they were new. My main opponent usually beat me, but it was fun nonetheless. I was also a big fan of the Avalon Hill game Richthofen's War.

Neber played that, or Dawn Patrol. How are they? I'm not a big "wargame" guy. Part of the draw of AoA for me was always its relative simplicity. And replay value.

I used to work overnight, assembling computers. A co worker and I would get off work around 5AM, then head to Denny's, drink coffee and play Ace of Aces for an hour or two. Good times.

Flying Buffalo has a hardcover version of one of the series. Its about $75. I've considered buying it, but apparently one of the pages has the wrong maneuvers list at the bottom. The idea of buying a $75 game, then having to glue a "fix" onto one of the pages, bugs me.

What names does he use? I can see why England and Scotland are out for anachronism reasons, but there are plenty of alternative pseudo-Arthurian names for the parts of the island.
To be clearer most names he uses are attested names. England and Scotland get called Loegria and Albanie which you do find in Medieval records they're just rarer. I would have expected Logres, Angleterre or England based on the sources. Similarly all of Scandinavia is called "Skane". This continues for many towns, counties and NPCs where they receive obscure or rare names rather than their modern or typical mythic names.

The setting actual combines the world of Perceforest with other Arthurian prequel literature like Spenser's Faerie Queen, as well as using French Arthurian literature to fill out the geography and content in a few places. Thus you have less commonly seen material like the isles of Sorelois, Lontaine and Pomitain. What seems to be a genuine new feature of his setting is Ireland being broken into an archipelago of several islands each with its own chivalric kingdom.

Last edited:
Neber played that, or Dawn Patrol. How are they? I'm not a big "wargame" guy. Part of the draw of AoA for me was always its relative simplicity. And replay value...

Richthofen's War is definitely ad old-school hex-and-chit wargame, so you might not find it all that attractive. My memory is that it was of moderate to low complexity for its era, but it might be more complex than something I'd want to play today. One of the draws was that it included a wide variety of aircraft--from the early 'pushers' through to the advanced machines of 1918--and allowed for a wide variety of missions: recon, artillery spotting, dogfighting, balloon-busting, etc. IIRC it was at its best with a handful of aircraft on each side.

It was a standard my turn/your turn game, which I guess makes it a bad fit for air combat--your opponent sits still while you maneuver and shoot, and vice-versa. But that made it easier to play solitaire.

Flying Buffalo has a hardcover version of one of the series. Its about $75. I've considered buying it, but apparently one of the pages has the wrong maneuvers list at the bottom. The idea of buying a $75 game, then having to glue a "fix" onto one of the pages, bugs me.

Wow! That would certainly be a deal-killer for me.

Last edited:
The problem with Scotland is that it's full of Scots.

Picked up the Handy Rotary Series of Ace of Aces. One of my favorite games ever. Paid thirty plus shipping. Which is about half of what I see other copies going for. Box was rough, but nothing a little packing tape won't "fix" (yeah, I'm the type of guy tapes his boxes - and sometimes his books). Books inside are pretty clean, save one small tear on the back cover of one. Goes nicely with the Powerhouse Series I picked up for twenty bucks at Half Price Books a few years ago. That one is showing its age.

I'm tempted to scan these, so that they can be played on an electronic device. Wouldn't be the same as flipping through a physical book, but eventually these are going to fall apart. When they do, I see no reason not to preserve them digitally.

ab8a76.jpeg
I used to have that blue set as a kid. That is a fun game.

To be clearer most names he uses are attested names. England and Scotland get called Loegria and Albanie which you do find in Medieval records they're just rarer. I would have expected Logres, Angleterre or England based on the sources. Similarly all of Scandinavia is called "Skane". This continues for many towns, counties and NPCs where they receive obscure or rare names rather than their modern or typical mythic names.

The setting actual combines the world of Perceforest with other Arthurian prequel literature like Spenser's Faerie Queen, as well as using French Arthurian literature to fill out the geography and content in a few places. Thus you have less commonly seen material like the isles of Sorelois, Lontaine and Pomitain. What seems to be a genuine new feature of his setting is Ireland being broken into an archipelago of several islands each with its own chivalric kingdom.

That's good to know. By coincidence, a homebrew Arthurian game I made years ago used Loegria for England too; I think I got it from Geoffrey of Monmouth.

Place-names are always a bit of a conundrum in Arthurian games, I think--in particular, how much should they incorporate modern English names, or place-name elements, like -bury? Certainly there is precedent in Arthurian literature for thoroughly anachronistic mixtures of Roman names, others derived (often fancifully) from Welsh, made-up French names, etc. alongside then-current English names. But on the other hand, names that are too redolent of the English language seem weird in a game set before the English takeover. IIRC, at one point Greg Stafford was working to de-Anglicize all the place names in the Salisbury region for Pendragon.

I'd guess, too, that people from the British Isles may view the issue differently than Americans or people from elsewhere. If you're familiar with Andover, it may be a pain to remember to call it Leucomagus, for instance. If you're not, then it is less of an issue.

IIRC, at one point Greg Stafford was working to de-Anglicize all the place names in the Salisbury region for Pendragon.
Yeah this was a big discussion point on the old Nocturnal forums. He had basically done it for all of Britain, but then decided to reverse back to English/Modern names.

I'd guess, too, that people from the British Isles may view the issue differently than Americans or people from elsewhere. If you're familiar with Andover, it may be a pain to remember to call it Leucomagus, for instance. If you're not, then it is less of an issue.
That's a good point, probably what's going on in my own case. It's basically a question with no answer as there has been so many names and alternate spellings of those names over the centuries that it's a balancing act between flavour and obscurity.

EDIT: In the first post I made a mistake when editing the post: Roman de Renard is an example of the Arthurian prequel literature used. The Faerie Queen is heavily used in Perceforest but it's Arthurian.

Last edited:
My copy of Perceforest from Aeon Games arrived last weekend.
OK, this sounds like a fun read. I'm not getting any hits on Perceforest from DTRPG or Kickstarter - where might someone get their hands on a copy of this?

OK, this sounds like a fun read. I'm not getting any hits on Perceforest from DTRPG or Kickstarter - where might someone get their hands on a copy of this?

As far as I know, the only place to get it is to order at Aeon Games and wait for the new print run, or hope copies make it to your FLGS.

It's POD from Aeon games so presumably they'll be able to do a fast reprint unless the newish Covid restrictions screw things up. Poole (the printer' s location) is in the highest tier - total shutdown I believe.

What are you talking about? Eating it at all should be against the Geneva Conventions! Gah! Only Aussies would create something so vile and force it on others as if it's edible.
There are many things we can blame aussies for. Their stubby little legs. Their annoying accent. Their thieving of kiwi race horses, desserts and music acts. But for vegemite we actually have to blame the British, who once stared deeply into a vat of yeasty leftover brewing goo and thought 'there must be a way we can sell this'.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back