Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm not sure that means what you think it means...
inconceivable.jpg

BTW, people, can anyone tell me something about the battery of Kindle? It arrived with about 50% battery (and got to about 75% while I was transferring PDFs to it). It's still working without recharging...

Do I have to follow the same procedure that is routinely used for mobile/smart phones (i.e. let it use up its charge and then charge it up for 10-12 hours)? Or is the battery different enough despite the similarities in dimension that I shouldn't do that?

I'm impressed how long this thing works, really, though I guess keeping it into airplane mode probably helps as well:tongue:.

I still use a 2012 Nexus 7. To be honest for just reading PDFs they haven't released anything in the same price range that is as good. It's a bit slow, but man the screen is still top tier.
Well, I'd have gone for a similar model. But it was the wife that got it for me as a surprise gift, so I couldn't really voice an opinion there:thumbsup:.

I'm just hoping that she hasn't bought already anything for Christmas and New Year, because I did recently voice my wish...

I'm getting a wrestling mat cover for the living room, and we all know the kids are going to love tumbling on it:shade:!

The saga of my new PC goes on. It seems that the machine wasn't as advertised on two fronts - 16GB of RAM instead of 32GB and 256GB SSD instead of 512GB. The vendor has replaced the SSD, and I just noticed the RAM when I installed the extra 64GB that I got for the machine. With a bit of luck they will be will be as responsive with the memory but they seem to have rather dropped the ball with this machine.

One more major install to go - the NVMe SSD. I might tackle that tomorrow.

In related news, the NAS is running swimmingly. Its disks arrived a few days ago and it will happily saturate a gigabit ethernet cable in large file transfers.

The saga of my new PC goes on. It seems that the machine wasn't as advertised on two fronts - 16GB of RAM instead of 32GB and 256GB SSD instead of 512GB. The vendor has replaced the SSD, and I just noticed the RAM when I installed the extra 64GB that I got for the machine. With a bit of luck they will be will be as responsive with the memory but they seem to have rather dropped the ball with this machine.

One more major install to go - the NVMe SSD. I might tackle that tomorrow.

In related news, the NAS is running swimmingly. Its disks arrived a few days ago and it will happily saturate a gigabit ethernet cable in large file transfers.
The last time I got an off-the-rack PC, I got a cheaper GPU than the one I ordered. The box even listed the better GPU that I was expecting. It is always a good idea to take a look inside a new PC.

The last time I got an off-the-rack PC, I got a cheaper GPU than the one I ordered. The box even listed the better GPU that I was expecting. It is always a good idea to take a look inside a new PC.
Even though this was secondhand, it looks like the vendor has configured this as the SSD isn't an original HP part, although the RAM is. They replaced the SSD when I contacted them, so I shall be charitable and assume this is an honest mistake. The machine was only a little over £500 or so, but that was still a significant premium over other ones with a 256G SSD and 16GB RAM. If fecking well ought to have come as specced.

And now I'm looking for a jailbreak option. Because Amazon's policy sucks as much as all things Amazon, short of their pricing policy:thumbsup:.

And now I'm looking for a jailbreak option. Because Amazon's policy sucks as much as all things Amazon, short of their pricing policy:thumbsup:.

One of the reasons that I got a Samsung branded B&N Nook... I can read everything on it, and it's just at it's based a Samsung Android Tablet.

I haven't had any issues with my Kindle battery, although I have noticed it doesn't last as long as my Kobo's used to. I just plug it in when I ever it occurs to me and mostly I don't have any issues. The real pain is having to convert all manner of things to Mobi format.

Yes, guys, jailbreak is the procedure which allows you to install a better reading app on your own e-book reader (and thus read in formats Amazon doesn't support). I have quite a few e-books that aren't in PDF/MOBI, and that's what Kindle supports.

I haven't had any issues with my Kindle battery, although I have noticed it doesn't last as long as my Kobo's used to. I just plug it in when I ever it occurs to me and mostly I don't have any issues. The real pain is having to convert all manner of things to Mobi format.
It reads MOBI or PDF, but it's a pain, yes:thumbsup:.

I'm going to also check whether the procedure of jailbreak is legal or not, because of course I wouldn't do anything illegal to a device I've purchased:shade:!

One of the reasons that I got a Samsung branded B&N Nook... I can read everything on it, and it's just at it's based a Samsung Android Tablet.
I would have as well. But since it was a gift, I didn't get to explain:grin:!

As it comes, you're also stuck with Amazon marketplace for apps, which has less than half that of google marketplace. There are workarounds.

I use Calibre to fix the issues with eBook formats. I use it to convert then to a standard format to void the Amazon issue. Only issue is that Amazon keep changing the encoding so you have to wait for the guys to break that encryption to read some of the newer stuff on your reader. I mostly use Gutenberg to pick up older out of copyright works so it's usually not an issue.

BTW, people, can anyone tell me something about the battery of Kindle? It arrived with about 50% battery (and got to about 75% while I was transferring PDFs to it). It's still working without recharging...

Do I have to follow the same procedure that is routinely used for mobile/smart phones (i.e. let it use up its charge and then charge it up for 10-12 hours)? Or is the battery different enough despite the similarities in dimension that I shouldn't do that?

I'm impressed how long this thing works, really, though I guess keeping it into airplane mode probably helps as well:tongue:.

Well, I'd have gone for a similar model. But it was the wife that got it for me as a surprise gift, so I couldn't really voice an opinion there:thumbsup:.

I'm just hoping that she hasn't bought already anything for Christmas and New Year, because I did recently voice my wish...

I'm getting a wrestling mat cover for the living room, and we all know the kids are going to love tumbling on it:shade:!
You got be careful with those things. My wife and I bought my daugher a gymnastics mat for Christmas one year and the first night she took out the television (luckily it lived).

Yes, guys, jailbreak is the procedure which allows you to install a better reading app on your own e-book reader (and thus read in formats Amazon doesn't support). I have quite a few e-books that aren't in PDF/MOBI, and that's what Kindle supports.

Not sure if this will help, but this article discusses loading other e-readers onto kindle fires

You got be careful with those things. My wife and I bought my daugher a gymnastics mat for Christmas one year and the first night she took out the television (luckily it lived).
Yeah, "a protector for the TV and the PS" has been added to the price:grin:. I'm considering it part of the shipping, really...

Not sure if this will help, but this article discusses loading other e-readers onto kindle fires
Thank you! I'm still studying the available options:thumbsup:.

Whelp, every paycheck I buy myself some gaming stuff. Holy suppurating fuck is my reading list getting long. I just grabbed Warlock! and Ultraviolet Grasslands and I'm probably two months behind in my reading already, all told. OCD is a thing people. :grin:

Thank you! I'm still studying the available options:thumbsup:.

Your welcome! On Thursday, i was able to add the play store to my kindle fire 8, and added the nook reader to it (as well as Book Funnel and Prolific Works, which are apps for two sites I've gotten free ebooks from)

My last post on this thread was about getting Esoteric Enterprises. I am now running that for my online group and enjoying it. Here is a link to my review on DriveThru if you are interested: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=297833&term=esoteric enterpri

Just this morning the next new shiny thing arrived: Crypts & Things, a Sword & Sorcery Roleplaying Game. C&T has been out for several years and I have no idea why it took me so long to get, unless it was the unfortunate title that sounds more like a discount funerary store than an rpg. C&T is an OSR game using an improved version of Swords & Wizardry to play in a Hyborean-type setting. The book seems very sturdy and the layout is simple and easy-to-read. I love me some classic Sword and Sorcery, but the last rule system I tried to use for it, Low Fantasy Gaming, was a tad too crunchy for me. C&T is simpler and I am already familiar with Swords & Wizardry so this seems perfect. This may be the next campaign I run with my local group, once we get back to regular gaming.

C&T has been out for several years and I have no idea why it took me so long to get, unless it was the unfortunate title that sounds more like a discount funerary store than an rpg.
I think I backed this, in any case I've been having it for years now. And I never thought of this comparison:grin:!

I've been reading over the free QuickStart for Lone Wolf Fists, the post-apocalypse, kung fu game currently advertised in our banner ads. The system involves rolling multiple dice and building matching sets in a method clearly influence by the One Role Engine as used in Reign (Paging AsenRG AsenRG ), but it is clearly its own thing. Joel Clark, the designer, just put up a short video where he breaks it down.

Full disclosure: Joel Clark is my friend and a podcast collaborator, but given that I pick and choose my friends entirely by the quality their game design chops, I don't think this can be seen as clouding my judgment.

I saw a thread over on the big purple about some small press game called Vampire - Alone in the Darkness. I looked at the product page, and was a little turned off by the fact they have no full size preview (I can't read the quick preview even with my glasses). However, they posted images of some pages on the product page, and those were easy to open in another tab and enlarge to allow me to read them. I liked what I saw, and just plopped the 4.99 for a copy. I've only read the first 16 pages, which is mostly background. It's not a rip-off of Masquerade, etc. Vampires here don't secretly hold the power; they keep to the shadows. Vampirism isn't necessarily transmitted by biting/blood drinking. It appears to be a form of demonic possession, going by the intro fiction. Vampires do form groups in cities, and Castes (I'm assuming they're like clans, as the background only mentions one by name, not what they are) exist. While it can be run traditionally, it states you can play solo or troupe style without a GM. I asked if they might be doing a pod, as a book mockup in the listing looks cool.

I also checked out the publishers website, and they have another game called Heritage of Cthulhu, which I would love to know more about. They also have a two other games in the works, one of which looks like a werewolf rpg, and another about witches. Definitely interested in their Cthulhu game if they decided to put it out in English

Please link the website good sir.

Here ya go (which is also linked to from the product page). It's in Portuguese, as the publisher appears to be from Brazil.

I'm into character creation right now, and seems pretty easy with 3 stats and 3 derived ones. The base mechanic looks like D10 + Attribute, with any skills adding +2 on top of that

Brazil seems to be putting out some decent games. I really, really like Elephant and Macaw Banner about 16th century South American exploration in Brazil with fantasy overtones.

Brazil seems to be putting out some decent games. I really, really like Elephant and Macaw Banner about 16th century South American exploration in Brazil with fantasy overtones.

I have that one as well, though it is still in my to read pile. It's also got some decent support, with like 3 or more supplements in pdf out

I'm thinking that I'll put it up for play early in 2021. Either the first or second scenario/supplement.

I've been reading over the free QuickStart for Lone Wolf Fists, the post-apocalypse, kung fu game currently advertised in our banner ads. The system involves rolling multiple dice and building matching sets in a method clearly influence by the One Role Engine as used in Reign (Paging AsenRG AsenRG ), but it is clearly its own thing. Joel Clark, the designer, just put up a short video where he breaks it down.

Full disclosure: Joel Clark is my friend and a podcast collaborator, but given that I pick and choose my friends entirely by the quality their game design chops, I don't think this can be seen as clouding my judgment.

:grin: I see my tastes are well-known!
I'd also say it's about 2 generations removed from Reign/ORE, though the general idea of looking for matches is one I really like...:thumbsup:

AFAIK, first it was ORE, which introduced "looking for matches dicepool".
Then there was Weapons of the Gos which make matches translate to numbers.
Then you got a development of this in Legends of the Wulin which added all sorts of bell and whistles.
And then you have Lone Wolf Fists, where each die is possibly used by itself, though still evaluated as in WotG/LotW:shade:.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back