Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I hope you'll post something about Ghosts of Albion. I've been interested in the game, though not enough to pick it up.

I ran a 12 month game with two players using GoA and it was one of the most satisfying games I have ever been a part of. It was a while ago and I haven't touched the book since purely because I don't think I could replicate that feeling, but the CineUni version used in Ghosts fit the setting really, really well. I'll look at doing a write up one of these days but no idea when I'd get to it so don't hold your breath. :sad:

Try sending an email to SJG. I had in the Labyrinth and it was mis-bound. They helped out.

A good idea, but their response was literally "Just set something heavy on it. Deuces!"

Edit: tbf they left the door open to replacement if that doesn't work.

Last edited:
I'm not at all familiar with this pulp game. But I think I need to be. The materials look, well quite frankly "Fucking Awesome"!
I know, right! There's a quickstart available so you can check out if you like the system. It's a somewhat abstract, straightforward pool of d6 where you look for identical results. The more identical results the better. I don't think the proprietery dice are strictly required.

Basically the game is about exploration and treasure hunting, with the 90s/modern era being the default (Uncharted, Tomb Raider). Supplements cover other periods. The 1930s/Golden Age (Indiana Jones) book was also part of this Kickstarter. Their next Kickstarter will be for a Victorian (Jules Verne) and an Age of Piracy book.

Everything is very niocely produced and looks really cool, but if you really dislike the system you could probably get by with any other pulp game. So yeah, go and check out that quickstart first.

Last edited:
I'm not at all familiar with this pulp game. But I think I need to be. The materials look, well quite frankly "Fucking Awesome"!

The materials are the main reason I backed for the physical. There's also the beautiful quick start that sold me on the system.

The materials are the main reason I backed for the physical. There's also the beautiful quick start that sold me on the system.
Give or take one or two illustrations that look a little wonky, the production values are top notch!

Even though Tintin didn't limit himself to treasure hunting only, I'd like to run something Tintin-inspired with this sometime, as the system seems like it would be very fitting for that. I also like the idea of Uncharted-like modern day adventuring for a change.

Last edited:
Enlightened Magic.jpg

Chaosium does not seem to be selling paper copies of this anymore, but I was able to pick up a new copy from an online seller for about the price of the .pdf. I've not had a chance to read it yet, but the topic intrigues me and I've liked John Snead's work in general.

View attachment 28368

Chaosium does not seem to be selling paper copies of this anymore, but I was able to pick up a new copy from an online seller for about the price of the .pdf. I've not had a chance to read it yet, but the topic intrigues me and I've liked John Snead's work in general.
I believe it is based on the magic for Nephilim.

I believe it is based on the magic for Nephilim.
It's basically retrapping the second magic system that came out for Nephilim, not the one in the core book

It was called "Liber Ka, Authentic Western Ceremonial Sorcery for the Nephilim Roleplaying Game'

This version called 'Enlightened Magic' isn't Nephilim-setting specific, and is really quite good

It's probably the most authentic flavoured occult-style magic system that I have read for a rpg, it's well worth taking a look.

Last edited:
You've obviously never read Bonewits' Real Magic. I used to have a copy back in the late Seventies/early Eighties and it supported my gaming well enough. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Bonewits

Being familiar with both Bonewitz and actual magic traditions, let's just say Bonewitz is about as far from any authentic magical beliefs and practices as Silver Ravenwolf's Teen Witch.

Can't say the 'authenticity' of a magic system is a major concern for me because from my reading of the history of modern magic I'd be very skeptical of any historical claims about any such system. To be frank from my admitedly limited reading at best most of it is a few hundred years old and mostly it is an invention of 19th century romanticism.

This book demolishes most of the claims of historicity for magic practicioners (not just Wiccans btw) and it is actually written by a sympathetic historian.

220px-The_Triumph_of_the_Moon.jpg

Crowley's completely ignorant and nonsensical 'reading' of Kabbalah and his ideas fashonable prominence in so-called modern 'magick' is another prime example.

Last edited:
What actually is a good book on genuine magical practices in Medieval Europe?
I am partial to Richard Kieckhefer's Magic in the Middle Ages as a good introduction, and his partial translation of a German magical manual from the 1400s is quite intriguing:

Kieckhefer.jpgForbidden Rites.jpg

The Magic in History series from Penn State Press has a lot of interesting entries, like this edited volume by Claire Fanger and a mongraph by Frank Klassen:

Fanger Conjuring Spirits.jpgKlassen.jpg

View attachment 28368

I have a paper copy of this. It's a truly great book if you want to model magic in your games in a manner that looks something like real world western occultism. This is what you want to use if you want a game to be like the movie The Craft. Highly recommended! I am surprised its not more popular, but that might be because the magic system is very, very subtle. In other words you won't be throwing fireballs around but if you want the neighbor to slip on his steps next week and break his neck this is what you need.

So which one will give me real magical powers. That's the one I want.

Seconding the Magic in History series. I have quite a few of them on my shelf.

The University of Toronto's Readings in Medieval Civilizations and Cultures series which is another great series for anyone interested in the Middle Ages in general, not just magic in the Middle Ages.

Here are some of the books that I have on my shelf regarding medieval magic.

The Rise of Magic in Early Medieval Europe
European Magic and Witchcraft: A Reader (Readings in Medieval Civilizations and Cultures)
Binding Words: Textual Amulets in the Middle Ages (Magic in History)
Magic in the Middle Ages
Forbidden Rites (A Necromancer's Manual of the Fifteenth Century)

I don't own this one (well I do have a scan of the academic Latin version), but you might check this out too:

Picatrix (A Medieval Treatise on Astral Magic)

Last edited:
After eyeing it for ages I finally got a copy of Land of Ice and Stone for Legend. Prehistoric games seem like a hard sell without dinosaurs and other weirdness but reading through this has pumped up my enthusiasm for that sort of thing again.
It's got enough of a setting and hints of the mystical to soften the edges of playing grim/gritty cavemen. Totems and spirits providing low-level magic, primitive societies to mix and mingle with and loads of ice age beasts to run away from.

Legend slots easily into Mythras so if nothing else it could maybe see use as a Parallel for Luther Arkwright... or some 'Lost World' setting (just add a sprinkle of dinosaurs/mahars/sagoths)

Land_of_Ice.jpg

After eyeing it for ages I finally got a copy of Land of Ice and Stone for Legend. Prehistoric games seem like a hard sell without dinosaurs and other weirdness but reading through this has pumped up my enthusiasm for that sort of thing again.
It's got enough of a setting and hints of the mystical to soften the edges of playing grim/gritty cavemen. Totems and spirits providing low-level magic, primitive societies to mix and mingle with and loads of ice age beasts to run away from.

Legend slots easily into Mythras so if nothing else it could maybe see use as a Parallel for Luther Arkwright... or some 'Lost World' setting (just add a sprinkle of dinosaurs/mahars/sagoths)

View attachment 28462
When you going to run it?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back