Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
3rik 3rik I appreciate the offer, but have no plans really to run HEX with the Ubiquity system, or doing a Victorian aged game.

Anyone else? No? :wink:

I'm interested as I have the Space 1889 BoH and like it but should probably hold off considering all the KS swag coming my way and my wife not appreciating my buying more physcial books, lol.

I'm interested as I have the Space 1889 BoH and like it but should probably hold off considering all the KS swag coming my way and my wife not appreciating my buying more physcial books, lol.
I'm in Europe, though, so shipping outside of Europe is going to be quite the costly affair. The book and dice currently aren't going anywhere. Shoot me a PM anytime you're interested.

View attachment 30876

Went ahead and picked these up this week. My initial impression is pretty positive. The system is a bit goofy, rolling very large d2 dice pools, but it also seems very easy to use. Attacker rolls dice pool, defender rolls dice pool, count successes (evens), if the attacker has more he does damage equal to the difference. Pretty much everything in the game is a modifier that adds or removes dice from the pool.
I'm not sure I'd use it over Pulp Cthulhu, but at least it's easy enough to understand and make comparisons that it'll be easy to translate into another system.

All the setting stuff is great though. I like the primer on the state of the world in 1936. One or two paragraphs on what's going on in about 40 countries. There are secret societies and exploration organizations to ally or compete with, the equipment catalog is surprisingly good for as light as the system is, and the bestiary has all the dinosaurs and overgrown animals I could ask for.

The Hollow Earth part of the setting is definitely light, mostly describing how things work differently from the surface, and a little bit of Atlantean history, but it's otherwise more an idea than a setting. I see on DriveThru there is a Mysteries of the Hollow Earth sourcebook that I presume provides more substance, but I can't find that one in print anywhere (under $500 anyway). So that's too bad.

Anyway, this is some good reading. Seems a shame the publisher isn't active anymore.
I think you are going to be pleased with your purchase! It’s a great set of rules and setting material. I guess I got lucky getting Mysteries of the Hollow Earth. It’s a great book made greater by the fact I only paid $25 for it in January. Occasionally even a blind squirrel finds a nut!

I might also recommend getting the PDF of Hero Games Inner Earth. It fits HEX like a glove and last week it was on special at DriveThruRPG for $2.50. I have also heard their book Lands of Mystery is also a good fit but I haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet.

Did some more prints of old D&D modules. I'm sure many of you will recognise these classics...

SAM_6133.JPG

Really nice bright covers and good internal reproduction of pages:

SAM_6134.JPG SAM_6136.JPG

SAM_6137.JPG SAM_6138.JPG

SAM_6139.JPG SAM_6140.JPG

SAM_6141.JPG

Had to do some reorganisation of the pages so that maps spanning two pages printed side-by-side and not overleaf but I think it was well worth it.

A used hardback copy of this arrived today in the mail:
Cohen Daily Life.jpg

I'd taken a copy out from the library as part of research for the Rome 1560 thread and liked it enough that I wanted my own. There is an updated second edition, with a much nicer cover, but it's a lot more expensive, so I was happy to settle for this version. Thomas Cohen has written a lot of interesting micro-historical studies of 16th century Roman society.

That's a steal, currently on Amazon for £261! I grabbed the softcover for a mere £16

Yesterday I got my loot from the Tiny Cthulhu kickstarter. I was happy until I saw the damage to the front and back cover of the limited edition hardcover (all the softcover books were fine). The owner of Gallant Knight told me to email him about. One thing I like about GKG is they provide excellent customer service in instances like this. Something I wish Green Ronin had done when my copy of ICONS Assembled edition arrived damaged. They never even bothered to reply to my email about it.

Also got my pdfs for Project Cassandra, one of the rpgs I backed as part of Zine Quest III

Last Saturday, I was able to go to my favorite used bookstore for the first time in over a year (thanks, COVID). It was my first time in a bookstore at all this year, I think. I bought four SF/Fantasy books:

TSLNDU1969.jpg PRGRNS1981.jpg

BTMLLNYRS1989.jpg THRLCTNTKN0000.jpg

I was happy to get the two Avram Davidson titles in particular. I read The Island Under the Earth earlier this year on Kindle and liked it so well I wanted a paper copy--and it was only $1.50. The Reluctant King by DeCamp was also a nice find in hardback, since I'd been mulling buying it on Kindle for $6.99, but I got the paper copy for less--$4.98. It's a collection of three of his shorter fantasy novels.

Last Saturday, I was able to go to my favorite used bookstore for the first time in over a year (thanks, COVID). It was my first time in a bookstore at all this year, I think. I bought four SF/Fantasy books:

View attachment 31270 View attachment 31271

View attachment 31272 View attachment 31273

I was happy to get the two Avram Davidson titles in particular. I read The Island Under the Earth earlier this year on Kindle and liked it so well I wanted a paper copy--and it was only $1.50. The Reluctant King by DeCamp was also a nice find in hardback, since I'd been mulling buying it on Kindle for $6.99, but I got the paper copy for less--$4.98. It's a collection of three of his shorter fantasy novels.
Is The Reluctant King a collection of Jorian the Clockmaker stories?

Some Kickstarter PODs arrived today. I also got my Tiny Cthulhu stuff in good condition, which isn't a given. :closed:

jJm4GYi.jpg

I finally got the last FFG Star Wars book (Starships and Speeders). I have completed the whole run from all their Star Wars lines.

Since FFG is not doing RPG's anymore and Asmodee has been silent on any new stuff (despite them saying they're going to keep the Star Wars line going) I feel that's a wrap. It's pretty complete. Prices dropped nicely.

As an initial super-skeptic of FFG's Star Wars, I'm pretty pleased with being wrong about it. It's a pretty damn good game. D6 good? In some areas better - force users. In others it's equal to the task (starship combat). But I got loves for my D6 edition, my FFG stuff sits proudly on several shelves. Damn nice books.

They stretched it out over too many books for me.

I even still got my d20 books (original/RCR/Saga) but I dumped my FFG stuff. There are some ideas worth using and I started to incorporate those into my D6 revision.

I was having too much fun with it all. Even their adventure books had really nice nuggets for sub-system use in them. I didn't like how they spread things across so many books, but the last three books did a decent job of codifying them all together. I was in for a pound.

Some Kickstarter PODs arrived today. I also got my Tiny Cthulhu stuff in good condition, which isn't a given. :closed:

jJm4GYi.jpg
Mine was ... OK. But I'm not going to bother them with it.

ORtrail ORtrail and chuckdee chuckdee Do tell us about Tiny Cthulhu. I was eyeballing that for a while but decided I didn't really need another Cthulhu game. I got Tiny Wasteland and I'm not really doing anything with that either. TinyD6 seems like a fun little system though.

It’s still only out to backers, but I’m enjoying Lowlife 2090. It’s basically Shadowrun using a modified version of Low Fantasy Gaming. My only gripes are:

1. The game is big on rolling randomly for pretty much everything, and the authors didn’t always think that aspect through. The first character I rolled up was a Brawler (meele combatant). I ended up rolling the same piece of cyberware for him twice, and while it makes sense for him to have two, there are no in-game benefits for having two. So I basically have a worthless item as one of his three pieces of starting gear.
  2. Characters have special abilities, which are either always on or can be used a total of one time per adventure per character level...and note those total uses are spread amongst all abilities known, and not per ability. The always on abilities can sometimes be so specific as to not come up in a scenario. Also, Brawlers can choose an ability that’s always on and makes my aforementioned-duplicated cyberware superfluous while also providing extra abilities. This kind of thing is very annoying.
  3. The original cover art was awesome and evocative of the setting. See below fir the final art.

I recommend the game, but be aware you may have to nitpick what you roll so your characters don’t get boned.

Attachments

• FA480C75-6D16-4568-A367-EEA882C25EF6.jpeg
    FA480C75-6D16-4568-A367-EEA882C25EF6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
A friend got me a copy of Lancer but due to his health and living conditions, he wasn't able to send it until recently. Interesting mecha game, a bit crunchy on the mecha side and lighter on the RP side, might try it someday as a test run.

Mutant Year Zero starter booklet for 7 bucks. Plus one of the Zone Compendiums for 9.

A|STATE (original version) hardback, 10 bucks.

All Priŝtino.

And a copy of Gadgets for Hero 3rd (I think), in OK shape for 5 bucks. Been wanting one to go with Justice, Inc.

Acquired a bit of a Holy Grail item. Bowen's original Hellboy statue from 1998. Only 200 made. This is one of those treasures I used to own but was lost in a move wherein most of my belongings disappeared.

Regularly goes for several thousand on the secondary market, but I was able to acquire from a local seller for just a little over $500.

Hellboy Statue.jpg

I had a hardback copy printed of the Spire by Indie Press Revolution and it came out really nice.
I've been thinking about picking up a bunch of Spire and Heart books for about a year or so now. The setting is pretty interesting and the artwork is very cool so they should be easy sells yet, for some reason, I never quite manage to take the plunge.

Question: is the paper finish matte or glossy? It looks matte in your picture and that is something I prefer. I tend to read in bed at night and I dislike the glare of my light reflecting off the page. Increasingly, glossy paper is putting me off buying books. Hmmmm... Now I'm trying to remember if I mentioned that in the "What is the most superficial reason you have rejected a RPG for?" thread.

I've been thinking about picking up a bunch of Spire and Heart books for about a year or so now. The setting is pretty interesting and the artwork is very cool so they should be easy sells yet, for some reason, I never quite manage to take the plunge.

Question: is the paper finish matte or glossy? It looks matte in your picture and that is something I prefer. I tend to read in bed at night and I dislike the glare of my light reflecting off the page. Increasingly, glossy paper is putting me off buying books. Hmmmm... Now I'm trying to remember if I mentioned that in the "What is the most superficial reason you have rejected a RPG for?" thread.
I'd say on a scale to 1 to 5 with 1 being Matte and 5 being High Gloss. I'd score this a 3. It seems most shiny in the artwork that tends to have a lot of black.

I'm in the same boat. Every time I get ready to pull the trigger, something holds me back.

This got delivered today...

1622580794582.png

You ask what the Jackals do in the Zaharets. I ask you, what happens if they do nothing?
- Nawsi Namar of Orsem Honess, speaking to the Sar of Ameena Noani

The Fall of the Children of Bronze is a grand campaign for Jackals, and includes 14 adventures spanning 9 years. Players will explore the ancient myths and legends of the War Road, from the bustling streets of Ameena Noani in the north and Sentem in the south, to abandoned temples in the wastes and mansions deep within the earth. They will encounter beings and powers from the past - ancient but far from dormant - and come face to face with the hidden hand that would the Law of Men torn down and chaos brought to the Zaharets.

Quite surprised to see Osprey publish a campaign for one of their setting books, always assumed they were one-off things, but happy to show support. Not sure when I'll get around to reading it properly but will likely skim over it in the next few days.

ORtrail ORtrail and chuckdee chuckdee Do tell us about Tiny Cthulhu. I was eyeballing that for a while but decided I didn't really need another Cthulhu game. I got Tiny Wasteland and I'm not really doing anything with that either. TinyD6 seems like a fun little system though.
Some quick notes from looking at the Tiny Cthulhu book:

I've only glanced through the book, very much the Tiny D6 system, but you have Corruption Tests vs Mythos stuff

Also optional rules for Item Tracking and Depletion Points for some items (so they wear out or get used up)

For Archetypes you have: Investigator, Dilettante, Explorer, Mystic, Spiritualist, Inventor, Soldier, Veteran, Writer

Cinematic Ammo: Test after a battle to see if you've run out of ammo for a heavy weapon

This got delivered today...

View attachment 31529

Quite surprised to see Osprey publish a campaign for one of their setting books, always assumed they were one-off things, but happy to show support. Not sure when I'll get around to reading it properly but will likely skim over it in the next few days.
I’d be interested in hearing your reactions to it. I’ve been considering buying it on Kindle, where it is relatively cheap. There are things I like about the Core rules and others that I don’t, so it would be useful to learn more about this supplement before taking the plunge.

OSE Advanced delivers today.
OSEA.jpg
It's a (mostly) fantastic looking collection of books.
I've already added the Carcass Crawler's expanded equipment to my weekly game. I figure as PCs die I'll allow some of the expanded races/classes for new characters.
Probably won't get to run the adventures with this group, unfortunately, as I'm pretty sure a couple of them backed this and have already read the adventures. But I may find some material in them to repurpose anyway.

I picked up 3rd edition Ninja Hero, some kickstarter exclusive add ons for Dungeon Saga and Troika! @HPB.

I had Troika in PDF but never read it. I just realized it's just Fighting Fantasy with Kool backgrounds. That's not bad but I was thinking it was something new.

Attachments

• PXL_20210603_204233924-01.jpeg
    PXL_20210603_204233924-01.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 7
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back