Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Picked up everything for Immortal: the Invisible War 1e, some of it sealed and all of it dirt cheap. I dunno if that's "good", but it's "something" and I "got" it.
It was pretentious, derivative, and 'borrowed' a lot of concepts from elsewhere without credit. And I have to say that I loved it. I have it all- even two copies of the main book.

Speaking of that main book, be careful with it if it's 1e and not those borderline 2e books. The binding is terrible and the book splits easily.

It was pretentious, derivative, and 'borrowed' a lot of concepts from elsewhere without credit. And I have to say that I loved it. I have it all- even two copies of the main book.

Speaking of that main book, be careful with it if it's 1e and not those borderline 2e books. The binding is terrible and the book splits easily.
I've got the same- one of everything and two copies of the core.

Not sure what you mean by "borderline 2e", but my books are the Precedence 1e softcover.

Not sure what you mean by "borderline 2e", but my books are the Precedence 1e softcover.
Immortal Millennium

20210609_235659-75%.jpg

I say almost because they went out of business a bit after the first book was published. They did publish the other two, but only in PDF, to my knowledge.

There was also a 3rd try at this- also only in PDF. It had a devoted following.

My OSE Kickstarter finally arrived. I am happy with the material and feel like I got an excellent deal. I backed for the 4 "advanced fantasy" rulebooks and pdfs but they threw in 4 extra books as part of the stretch goals. If this company did another Kickstarter I would definitely take a look based on the success of this one.

View attachment 31771
I'm waiting for mine. I picked the two Advanced books I didn't have yet and added on a GM Screen.

I ordered my KS PoD of Trinity Continuum: Aberrant, which we just got codes for. Glad it came before the price increase for Premium goes up. Should be getting my replacement hardcover of Tiny cthulhu today as well

Prices are going up this summer. There's a thread on it over at TBP.
Thanks. I'm going to have to check if there's any premium print products on my wishlist.

While @ my FLGS today, I impulse-bought Necronautilus, based almost entirely on the art. I've read the first 25 pages now & it seems like something someone came up with while they were very stoned. I kind of doubt I'll actually play or run it, but the art sure is pretty, and there are some concepts I might be able to borrow for other games.

Prices are going up this summer. There's a thread on it over at TBP.
To summarize:

First:
DTRPG uses Lightning Source for POD. Lightning Source has changed presses for the premium color. The resulting quality is worse on these new presses than older presses. However, the low volume of printing is not enough to justify LS to keep using these older more expensive to operate presses. So starting July 1, all premium color books will be printed on the new presses.
Followed by:
DTRPG received samples of the new premium color books. They were deemed to be no better than the standard color. So, they reversed their decision to discontinue the ultra-premium. However, the price increase is substantial. You are looking at around a 45% increase in printing cost for ultra-premium starting July 1.

To put that into perspective, a 200 page hardcover ultra-premium will cost $35 to print starting July 1. That is $11 more than now. Vampire V:20 will cost $82.71 to print. Current print cost is $55.45. So, if they keep the same profit margin, expect the $92 book now to go up to $119.96.
As a bonus (depending on how you look at it)
The highest amount in terms of changes in printing cost is 53% increase over current cost. It really depends on the page count. The largest increase is in softcover. The binding costs for all have gone down slightly, but the price per page has gone up the most. In general, I would assume a 40-45% increase in print costs

On the plus side, B&W quality will be improved since they are going to better paper. Also, the print cost has a slight decrease.
I've been ordering print like it's going out of style- especially cashing in my POD-at-cost vouchers from Kickstarter that had languished.

I got my replacement limited edition hardcover of Tiny Cthulhu, which arrived in perfect condition. I gave the slightly damaged one to the guy running Alien, as he had mentioned interested in a Call of Cthulhu. I also ordered my PoD of Aberrant from the KS, and got notice my copies of Sword Noir 2nd and Agents of Bamf were shipped.

I've been ordering print like it's going out of style- especially cashing in my POD-at-cost vouchers from Kickstarter that had languished.
Is there any place you can see all of these grouped together or do you need to look up each separate Kickstarter for them? I know I have one still unused for getting some monster cards for BoL Mythic, but other than that one I think I used most of them immediately.

Is there any place you can see all of these grouped together or do you need to look up each separate Kickstarter for them? I know I have one still unused for getting some monster cards for BoL Mythic, but other than that one I think I used most of them immediately.
I just save and star the e-mails in gmail and tag them with kickstarter-rewards. That way I can keep track of them. I don't know of any other way to see them, other than perhaps in your notifications on dtrpg.

Snagged a complete copy of the Justice, Inc. box set for $25 at Half Price Books. It's obviously a play copy, but whoever owned it took pretty good care of it. Aside from a normal amount of wear (even on the dice lol), there are no bends, tears, or creases. I have a beater copy (no box), and a NIS copy, this gives me something in between.

Snagged a complete copy of the Justice, Inc. box set for $25 at Half Price Books. It's obviously a play copy, but whoever owned it took pretty good care of it. Aside from a normal amount of wear (even on the dice lol), there are no bends, tears, or creases. I have a beater copy (no box), and a NIS copy, this gives me something in between.
I’m a little jealous. In the late 90s I found a copy in the original shrink, the store honoring the original price written on it...Too bad the marker used had leaked through the shrink and onto the box.

I liked Immortal's setting. I dislike its binding, design, lack of clarity, and system. The 3rd edition "fan" version fixed most of that.

I got Monsterpunk, which feels like it's trying to do 4E D&D in a vaguer handwavy way with being bound to monsters as a power source for everyone and the classes, literally are "healers" "tanks" etc, (aka very video game-like too) but combined in different ways for each monster type. It reads well, no Idea if it plays well. But you mix them together and get a unique flavored character from those two things--role and monster.

Immortal Millennium

View attachment 31777

I say almost because they went out of business a bit after the first book was published. They did publish the other two, but only in PDF, to my knowledge.

There was also a 3rd try at this- also only in PDF. It had a devoted following.
I've not really checked out 2nd or 3rd editions. I know they changed the mechanics and lore with each edition. Which is not uncommon, but baffling to me, since critics praised both. The only thing contemporary reviewers picked on was the obvious editing and layout issues. Why they didn't release a cleaned up revision of the first, I'll never know. It's like they said, "Let's change everything that people liked, and keep the stuff they hated."

I've not really checked out 2nd or 3rd editions. I know they changed the mechanics and lore with each edition. Which is not uncommon, but baffling to me, since critics praised both. The only thing contemporary reviewers picked on was the obvious editing and layout issues. Why they didn't release a cleaned up revision of the first, I'll never know. It's like they said, "Let's change everything that people liked, and keep the stuff they hated."

That's about what they did. It's a shame... even though the 1st edition was a bit pretentious and over the top with its terms, most of the games in that era were. And it had a pretty solid system underneath all that.

That's about what they did. It's a shame... even though the 1st edition was a bit pretentious and over the top with its terms, most of the games in that era were. And it had a pretty solid system underneath all that.

Yeah, the system is a large part of the appeal to me.

Me when I initially read this post: Man, I’m glad I don’t have any vouchers, as I don’t need any hardcovers, but I’d feel like I’d have to soend the money on them if I did.

Me this morning when a Kickstarter sent me a coupon for an at-cost premium color core book they meant to send months ago: Dammit!

Me when I initially read this post: Man, I’m glad I don’t have any vouchers, as I don’t need any hardcovers, but I’d feel like I’d have to soend the money on them if I did.

Me this morning when a Kickstarter sent me a coupon for an at-cost premium color core book they meant to send months ago: Dammit!
Me this morning when someone sent me an at-cost voucher for a premium color book right after I made my last order... Dammit!

Just got my copies of Agents of BAMF and Sword Noir 2nd in the mail. Now just waiting for Aberrant to show up

Just got my copies of Agents of BAMF and Sword Noir 2nd in the mail. Now just waiting for Aberrant to show up

It would be interesting to compare the POD to the offset run. I backed for the latter, and it's a great book. I wonder if the POD will duplicate the raised portion of the title on the cover?

It would be interesting to compare the POD to the offset run. I backed for the latter, and it's a great book. I wonder if the POD will duplicate the raised portion of the title on the cover?

If you're referring to Agents of BAMF, the title is all the way to the top edge of the cover on my copy.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back