Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Both are on at least one VTT so finding players might be easier than you think.

Doing the beta test of Modiphius US based website and my order came in. Got the last items I was missing in physical form for the Conan Rpg. Actually they just released a new book which sold out before I could snag it, so I'm just missing "Conan: Waves Stained Crimson" in physical book form. I do have the PDF. The slight glare is because most of it's still in shrink wrap.

Conan Rpg stuff.jpg

How’s Heart?

I’ve had Spire for a while and am finally preparing to run a campaign starting in a week or so. I really like the setting and the system seems pretty cool.

I am definitely considering picking up Heart. If you don’t mind sharing your thoughts on it, that’d be awesome.

It's good stuff. My gut reaction is that my biggest problem with it is some of the Zenith abilities are a little too vague, but that's very much part of the "story game" side of it (not a hot button, Spire and Heart both proclaim themselves as being both RPGs and story games).

I couldn't see such advice in Spire, but Heart straight up says it's meant for short campaigns - topping out at 8 sessions or so - because the characters are very much designed to die, either from rigors of the game or the Zenith abilities.

I also acquired both of these within the past few months and they’re fantastic books; even if my luck goes sour and I can’t get a group together they are a delight to flip through.
I posted my purchases in my group chat for my weekly game and one of my players really likes the sound of nordic horror. Looks like that might be the next one I run.

My girlfriend wants to watch Anne with the E on Netflix, so I might be able to learn a bit about the 19th century in the process. It's likely that I run the game in Canada because it's what I know.

My girlfriend wants to watch Anne with the E on Netflix, so I might be able to learn a bit about the 19th century in the process.

I'd highly recommend the 80's Anne of Green Gables set of three mini-series starring Megan Follows if you are looking for a more historically accurate picture of 19th century Canada. The new one has a reputation for rather jarringly inserting modern...sensibilities...into the story

I'd highly recommend the 80's Anne of Green Gables set of three mini-series starring Megan Follows if you are looking for a more historically accurate picture of 19th century Canada. The new one has a reputation for rather jarringly inserting modern...sensibilities...into the story
Megan Follows is one of the reasons why I'm kind of into redheads. Well, her Anne, anyway. Impressionable young mind, I had.

I got to meet her at a conference once. She was nice.

Megan Follows is one of the reasons why I'm kind of into redheads. Well, her Anne, anyway. Impressionable young mind, I had.

I got to meet her at a conference once. She was nice.

I'm surprised she didn't have a bigger career, she had such a huge screen presence and such a strong performance at such a young age.

Only other thing I saw her in was a film with Bill Bixby where she, IIRC, falls in love with her brother.

It's good stuff. My gut reaction is that my biggest problem with it is some of the Zenith abilities are a little too vague, but that's very much part of the "story game" side of it (not a hot button, Spire and Heart both proclaim themselves as being both RPGs and story games).

I couldn't see such advice in Spire, but Heart straight up says it's meant for short campaigns - topping out at 8 sessions or so - because the characters are very much designed to die, either from rigors of the game or the Zenith abilities.

That’s interesting. I think I’ll have to grab a copy soon.

I could see short campaigns in Spire. There does seem to be the potential for characters to flame out quickly. Everything is so stacked against them.

But I can also see the possibilities of a long campaign. The idea of the movement expanding into new districts and so on. It seems like there could be a lot of potential.

That’s interesting. I think I’ll have to grab a copy soon.

I could see short campaigns in Spire. There does seem to be the potential for characters to flame out quickly. Everything is so stacked against them.

But I can also see the possibilities of a long campaign. The idea of the movement expanding into new districts and so on. It seems like there could be a lot of potential.

One of the big keys in a long campaign of both Spire and Heart is that they *stress* that everything the PCs do should change the setting. So even as characters come and go, the changes to the setting should stay and build and grow (or be broken back down or changed into something else).

Mix of RPGs and board games turned up yesterday. Wasn't cheap but my first purchases for quite a while and I'm trying to offer my 11 year old son an alternative to computer games.

Dungeon feels like a game that could be altered/house ruled into something better. My son played a rogue and I played a cleric for our first game. Turns out the Cleric is the worst class in the game but lousy dice stuffed me over too and he won (got 10k+ gold back to game start) quite easily. I'll have a look on Boardgame geek and other places to see if people have any interesting house rules to spice things up or make it more like D&D.

5e Starter and the full fat core books were a tough sell on me. I last DM'd D&D in my early 20s and haven't missed it since, preferring supers gaming. As I play by post exclusively these days I can't help but think this will sit on a shelf gathering dust but we'll see. My son liked looking through the monster manual and asked quite a few questions about Alignment and stats so maybe I'll give this a shot.

Or find Tunnels and Trolls and let him have a stab at that too. Basic D&D was my first RPG and 1e AD&D never grabbed me as much - it always seemed like there were too many rules and stuff you didn't want or need. It's going to take a fair old chunk of willpower for me to read through the 5e core books. Time will tell.

Memoir 44 is a wargame with good reviews so thought it would make a change from the mostly fantasy stuff on the shelves (Munchkin. Dune, Talisman and other board games).

Gloomhaven is massive. Good reviews but think I will try to entice some old schoolfriends round for a gaming night rather than overload my son with this. 9kg of gaming in one box is a lot o stuff.

Gloomhaven jaws of the lion I will try with my son. Said to be an easier way into the game so I stuck it on the shopping list.

Star Realms had decent reviews and as a quick to play (15-30 mins supposedly) card game about conquering the galaxy I'm hoping this is a fun diversion from video games.

new-stuff.jpg

5e Starter and the full fat core books were a tough sell on me. ...

It's going to take a fair old chunk of willpower for me to read through the 5e core books. Time will tell.
My advice is DM from just the rules in the starter set and only read parts of the core books that you think will enhance your game. Much lower entry bar that way.

Lucky, my copy's not coming until - holy cow, it's out on Thursday.

Of course, I only ordered the regular hardcover.

I'm in my 40's now; if I was ever going to exit that phase, it's too late now. My bookshelves make me happy.
Mine ended when I had kids because it got hard to justify that expense and space at that point. Had I not married or had kids I think I'd be right there with you!

Mine ended when I had kids because it got hard to justify that expense and space at that point. Had I not married or had kids I think I'd be right there with you!

Yeah...

(sigh). Things are probably going to change when I tie the knot after the fiancé finishes school, so doing my best to complete my collections as much as I can now...

Yeah...

(sigh). Things are probably going to change when I tie the knot after the fiancé finishes school, so doing my best to complete my collections as much as I can now...

Do you guys want kids? I find that to be the big reason why finances change and money you’d blow for hobbies goes to babies.

Do you guys want kids? I find that to be the big reason why finances change and money you’d blow for hobbies goes to babies.

Sometimes? I dunno, I guess occasionally I think about the future and I want some sort of legacy, but..

Most of the time I don't think kids would make me happy or I'd find it rewarding. Especially as I'm getting older.

But the reality is, it ultimately won't be up to me, it'll be my SO's choice. She'll be outliving me anyways.

Sometimes? I dunno, I guess occasionally I think about the future and I want some sort of legacy, but..

Most of the time I don't think kids would make me happy or I'd find it rewarding. Especially as I'm getting older.

But the reality is, it ultimately won't be up to me, it'll be my SO's choice. She'll be outliving me anyways.
Kids are crazy. Source of my greatest joys/fears/highs/lows and definitely frustrations. I mean I have four small people pushing my buttons all day some intentionally others by accident.
Whatever you do have long very detailed conversations about what life would be like and what each of you is expecting of the other once kids are in the picture because whoo Nelly that is going to a different world. Because it's some crappy conversations of it's honest but it's much better than being the divorced parent.

Children are amazing and I find it to be very rewarding and you learn things about yourself you never would have without them. It’s scary to think about what you are getting into but it becomes second nature after you get into it.

I remember you telling us that before and now I feel like a jackass.
No, don't worry about it. It was a lifetime ago in a very real sense. I can't say it doesn't colour my feelings towards having a child with my fiancé, but I also didn't make the proposal without being aware that she wanted kids.

Yea, marriage and kids has done a number on my RPG collection and collecting habits. It's actually a good thing though as I've applied much more focus to my purchases which are almost exclusively PDF. I have had some big runs of purchases, but all to support something I was actively working on or running. Far fewer, "ooh, that looks cool" purchases.

Being a parent is like being a manager to me (go with me for a minute here...)

I've been told I'm a good manager, but I just can't really get myself into that mindset. I never wanted kids because I just couldn't get myself into that mindset. I even broke up with a girlfriend with that as one of the reasons. I have two step-kids now with my wife, and everyone tells me I'm a great parent. But I still couldn't imagine having small children- mine were 8 and 12 when we got married, and not sure I could deal with anything younger.

My collecting habits have never changed other than by space- it's my hobby, and my wife understands that. It also helps that I make enough that the amount I spend isn't really something that affects our finances and I try my best to keep it that way.

Back to the thread, I got these two in today:

Wickerpunk_Cover.png
The_Soul_Sword_Forge_Cover.png

Both are from Kickstarter. I'm so glad I got in on both!

Being a parent is like being a manager to me (go with me for a minute here...)

I've been told I'm a good manager, but I just can't really get myself into that mindset. I never wanted kids because I just couldn't get myself into that mindset. I even broke up with a girlfriend with that as one of the reasons. I have two step-kids now with my wife, and everyone tells me I'm a great parent. But I still couldn't imagine having small children- mine were 8 and 12 when we got married, and not sure I could deal with anything younger.

My collecting habits have never changed other than by space- it's my hobby, and my wife understands that. It also helps that I make enough that the amount I spend isn't really something that affects our finances and I try my best to keep it that way.

Back to the thread, I got these two in today:

View attachment 35016
View attachment 35017

Both are from Kickstarter. I'm so glad I got in on both!
Cool !!! - I backed Wickerpunk, so mine must be on its way !!!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back