Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
This is just my DTRPG stuff, synced using their tool. I haven't done any organization or anything on it yet, just a raw dump from the site. I'm sure I will trim it down quite a bit. My OneDrive, where I have been trying to keep my files in some kind of order, only has 126GB but that's from DTRPG, itch.io, HumbleBundle, direct downloads from publishers' shops, WeTransfer links from KSs (I hate when they fulfill that way) and so on. I decided to do the download from DTRPG's tool just out of curiosity.

View attachment 35276
Have care, it's a terrible time trap when you start trying to organize things. lol. I've made a few attempts on that with the pdfs during the past two years but I'm still not happy. ::grumble::

Edit: Though since I know how bad it is at half the size of yours, I should just put my nose to the grindstone and get it done before I reach double the 68gigs I currently have. lol

Hubris is fun! How’s Sullenlands?
Only from leafing through it and readings bits here and there its setting strikes me as somewhat vanilla but not in a bad way. It is mainly there to serve as a vehicle for the four scenarios and present you with a setting where the DCC core rulebook doesn't.

Yeah I think that a lot of people have bulky stores of games in their Steam lists and PDF directories thanks to bundle sales. Many of which they’ll never play. I’ve personally bought bundles just to get a single game that I wanted because it was cheaper than buying it on its own.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that a lot of people have bulky stores of games in their Steam lists and PDF directories thanks to bundle sales. Many of which they’ll never play. I’ve personally bought bundles just to get a single game that I wanted because it was cheaper than buying it on its own.
Bundle of Holding and to a lesser degree Humble Bundle are great ways to itch that scratch if you're even vaguely interested in checking out an rpg. Damn enablers. lol

While away from the internet I had time to read:

Odyssey of the Dragonlords: I had Covid at the time, but I wasn't really enthralled by what I read. This is simply not for me.

Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu: amazing art direction (imho way better than Chaosium's) but the text left me a little cold. This marked the end of my exploring of 5e third party books. There's too much padding for me. I had way more pleasure reading the Cthulhu Alphabet by Goodman games. YMMV.

As mentioned in another thread, Viking Death Squad, "Viking Death Squad is a game of desperate odds and thundering drums. It’s a world of burning iron and power armor, of supernatural darkness and technological terrors, of heavy metal and lightless starships.[...] inspired by ‘War Pigs’ by Black Sabbath. This game is the world of that song.". Probably not 'nuff said but it's really a cool read and makes me want to run it.

Whilst I know in one of the boxes in the (heh Gringnr :hehe: ) 'Lock up' has a few copies of the UK only printing of the all in one D&D Basic rules I wondered if there were any more out there.

Ebay doesn't list any.

I found one here:

(for anyone who doesn't want to click through this is what I'm talking about...)

g.jpg

That's some serious speculator type mark up going on in my opinion, but if the guy manages to sell at that price good luck to him!

As this is a 'something good you got recently' thread I'll wait and see what turns up after the order I just placed for the same book, to prove a point...more in a few days (or however 2nd Class UK post takes).
I ordered this book the other day. Arrived today, total cost is less than £7 posted.

The £480 guy is clearly trying to make a lot of bucks out of acaeum type collectors who want the British only print.

If anyone wants this one i will post it anywhere in the world for £479. Bargain

I got Macross Dog Fight: The Miniatures Game.

It includes 4 Kids Logic miniatures, all needing assembly and painting. The Officer's Battle Pod, Gerwalk VF-1J, and Fighter Mode VF-1J are all the same as the company's regular individual releases of the same miniatures. The Battloid Mode VF-1J is a sculpt unique to this game. All are very good models based on Robotech/Macross mecha. Assembly is going to require glue, but each model only has a handful of parts, and assembly is straightfoward.

The components are OK. There are several sheets of cardboard with punch out maneuver templates. There are also cardboard cards for each vehicle/mode of mecha. These cards double as the maneuver dials as you must assemble them with indcluded dials and clasps. There are also two separate cardboard damage dials which must be assembled in the same way. These constructed dials are just fine, but none of it feels as sturdy of cardboard as the FFG X-Wing components. This feeling of a lack of sturdiness is mostly evident in the maneuver templates.

There are an array of regular cards divided into different types. There are weapon cards for each mecha. There are cards for each player used when the mecha's path cross each other which are used to determine the result of the crossfire. There are also three different decks of damage cards used in different circumstances. Rounding it out are two pilot cards. The cardstock is OK, but is nothing special.

My set has a misprint. Two of the damage cards have incorrect backs. One has the back of a pilot card. The other has the back of the incorrect damage card deck.

Accompanying all this are quite a few plastic components. There are two ammunition trays, one for each player. These trays are meant to hold the ammunition counters for each mecha, and the counters are slotted neatly in. Each of these trays also has a folding lid. There are also lots and lots of stands which are intended to use to sit the miniatures on top of as well as act as guides for the maneuver templates as well as serving a stackable function to show elevation.

And then there is a rulebook. It's a tiny thing.

And... I will probably never play this thing.

After I ordered it months ago, my partner admitted that he absolutely loathes the movement template system from X-Wing. If he doesn't want to play the game, then there isn't anyone else I care to try and play it with.

Plus, reading the rulebook emphasized to me how tedious it all sounded to play. It's basically X-Wing Miniatures with more movement quirks like 4 direction movement and elevation. I have to say that it just seemed like a waste of time as I read it.

Why didn't I cancel my order? Regardless of whether I'd get any play out of this particular game, I wanted the miniatures. Each of the models tends to sell for about $15. So the miniatures already represented about a $60 purchase and the game was only $10 more than that. I figured I'd see if there was anything else interesting in the box.

As a starter, it kind of sucks. You can only do a battle of Khyron in the Officer's Battle Pod versus Rick Hunter in the VF-1J. There are no options for customization. There aren't even rules for terrain. Even though I hoped Kids Logic would start releasing expansions providing maneuver dials and cards for their other existing miniatures in the game, there has been no word of anything for the game beyond the base set.

If anyone wants my advice on this one, only bother with it if you love Robotech/Macross, love X-Wing Miniatures, and want to do a lot of homebrew with other Robotech miniatures you own. If you need a three mode Valkyrie and an Officer's Pod, then the game isn't that big a waste of money. But if the minis are all you want (for Robotech RPG Tactics or Battletech or something), and the unique Battloid VF-1J isn't a big deal to you, then it is probably better to just buy the 4 miniatures separate and skip the game pack.

I ordered this book the other day. Arrived today, total cost is less than £7 posted.

The £480 guy is clearly trying to make a lot of bucks out of acaeum type collectors who want the British only print.

If anyone wants this one i will post it anywhere in the world for £479. Bargain

Does this edition even have different art? From the cover I assume not.

I got my replacement copy of the Red Box, a mint copy of In Search of the Unknown module and the 1e Deities & Demigods for a whopping $6 or $7 at a local thrift shop a couple of years ago.

The book has different interior art and editing more to a paperback book format than the two 60 odd pages we know. Spelling tweaks for the British grammar and otherwise not much. A 'not for sale in USA or Canada' notice as well which is presumably why someone hopes they can gouge a collector

The book has different interior art and editing more to a paperback book format than the two 60 odd pages we know. Spelling tweaks for the British grammar and otherwise not much. A 'not for sale in USA or Canada' notice as well which is presumably why someone hopes they can gouge a collector

That's hilarious, I'm Canadian and have a mountain of 'not for sale in USA or Canada' paperbacks in my book collection, I assume from Brit expats or retirees collections.

When I get chance I will take a few pics of the different interior art for the Basic D&D red uk paperback.

In the meantime i had another run to the lock up and squeezed as many boxes as i could into my old jetta. Honestly the nose was pointing in the sky.

Not had the time to look in the boxes other than open the top to make sure rpg stuff is in there. My house is clogged up because I'm levelling the garage floor so it's a case of get stuff out of there don't care where

I'll update later on when I get home with what comes out of the boxes. Then try to figure out where it goes
IMG-20210909-123046.jpg

This is a bit RPG-adjacent, but I know there's some other DMR Books fans here, and I got an order in from them today:

IMG_20210909_183451.jpg

The Renegade Swords books are collections of some lessor-known works from the big sword-&-sorcery authors - Howard, Moorcock, etc. Lands of the Earthquake is another rarity, this one from Henry Kuttner. It's packaged with Under a Dim Blue Sun, by Howie K. Bentley, who's a modern writer - but look at this cover:

DimBlueSun+Cover+-+Low+Res.jpg

LOOK AT IT. Is that not the pulpiest thing you've seen today?

Anyway, I've been meaning to pick these up, and pulled the trigger due to a soon-to-end sale DMR is doing. Looking forward to digging into them!

This is a bit RPG-adjacent, but I know there's some other DMR Books fans here, and I got an order in from them today:

View attachment 35417

The Renegade Swords books are collections of some lessor-known works from the big sword-&-sorcery authors - Howard, Moorcock, etc. Lands of the Earthquake is another rarity, this one from Henry Kuttner. It's packaged with Under a Dim Blue Sun, by Howie K. Bentley, who's a modern writer - but look at this cover:

View attachment 35418

Anyway, I've been meaning to pick these up, and pulled the trigger due to a soon-to-end sale DMR is doing. Looking forward to digging into them!
That's so pulppy I think it turned me into low quality printing material.

My copy of Alien: Colonial Marines just arrived. Holy moley is it a dense book. There are a LOT of words in it. Lots of content.

First thought: why in the HELL isn’t there an Index for such a massive, content-rich tome? I accidentally found a list of NPC stats a few hours after I gave up trying to find such a thing.

For the first time I wonder about the quality of the minds over at Free League.

edit: I forgot to bookmark it and now I can’t find the NPC stat list anymore :sad:

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Creepy Comics, but these look fun. Are they any good?

They're solid mini-adventures. I don't really pay much attention to the comic part, although it's good to have for reference. And you could do something with the art if you're running a pulp/noir campaign, since they're obviously old horror comics. But I'm planning on using Chamber of Chills for my modern-day campaign (it introduces the Yeti to Cryptworld, so I had to). There are maps too. Again, very useful mini-modules.

View attachment 35417

View attachment 35418

I really enjoyed Land of the Earthquake when I read it a few months back, though I just read the magazine original rather than the DMR reprint. I think it's as good as Kuttner's better-known fantasy novellas like The Dark World.

My copy of Alien: Colonial Marines just arrived. Holy moley is it a dense book. There are a LOT of words in it. Lots of content.

First thought: why in the HELL isn’t there an Index for such a massive, content-rich tome? I accidentally found a list of NPC stats a few hours after I gave up trying to find such a thing.

For the first time I wonder about the quality of the minds over at Free League.

edit: I forgot to bookmark it and now I can’t find the NPC stat list anymore :sad:

I've read some criticism of the source book, that it left out things that it shouldn't have and yeah the lack of index was one of those complaints that I recall reading.

The unpacking process is taking a while! The other thing is the fusty smell which is going to take one or two weeks to dissipate. These things have been in storage for six years whilst I've been in rented homes so to finally be able to unpack them gives me a warm feeling inside. As mentioned before there had been a great purge some years ago to slice the book count well down.

There's nothing particularly rare on the shelves. I took a picture of a few bits before they found a new home and will at some point reorganise it all to see what I've got. It's probably clear which were my favourite games and/or what was cheap so I snapped it up because at the time it became something of an obsession!

Problem was when I started to collect things I had a much larger house than this and though there's only me living here it's started to feel a bit crowded now!

Need to get this sorted out so I have somewhere to sleep later on.

Can I just say for the record how ridiculous Hero 6e is. 5e was a bullet stopper, 6e is so big it comes in two books (to start with) and I have no idea why I bought it. The size is just... why?!?! Does anyone play 6e and can say it's genuinely better for being so big? Other than that there are a few oddities/uncommon games on there. 7th Sea, Chivalry and Sorcery, Pendragon, Prince Valiant, Brave New World, Alternity, Heavy Gear, James Bond 007 amongst the mass of usual things from TSR etc. Oh and Cyborg Commando. Still in shrink. I tried reading some of the novels to prepare me for breaking into the boxed set and reading it but the first story was boring and I gave up on it. Then I found out that the game was not Gary Gygax's finest hour.

As I've mentioned none of this stuff is particularly rare or valuable but it's important for me because I feel (finally) that this is my place, my stuff and no one can take it from me or tell me what I can and can't do. Living with someone is always a give and take process but I can honestly say I have no desire to co-habit again!

The green folders aren't the expansion set for 'Showering Products - the RPG'! They are the Marvel Who's Who. As far as I know they are all in there but I fell out of love with that system a while back although histories of obscure characters are interesting. Plus I will pick from them to use in my shared world DC/Marvel/Whoever else I can throw in RPG.

The bottom pile is 'everything for XXVC' (the boxed set is on the shelves). At some point I would like to run a play by post set in the XXVC universe. The top pile are the various Fighting Fantasy game books (Allansia, Titan plus others) and the Sorcery books which were great and sonnuva bitch in terms of difficulty.

The middle book is an oddity.

Tunnels and Trolls power trip by Outlaw Press/James L Shipman and bought before I realised the controversy the guy caused. The game itself is crap (rolling stats could technically leave you with a character with stats in the thousands or millions), not Ken St Andre's finest hour, but there is a germ of a good idea in there and I love T&T so I hope Ken finds the time to revisit the game.

Proof the red book paperback ain't rare. Knew I had one (or four) copies somewhere. I mentioned earlier about the copy for sale for £480. Nonsense,

The headings for the chapters have new art but the other Elmore 80s stuff (men and women with salon hair and chiselled chins/abs) of the standard books appears to have gone leaving page after page of text walls.

I'll sift through more boxes and the shelves and see if there is some interesting stuff to post up. Got a pile more boxes to go through and shelves are creaking already...

Oh, and...

conan.jpg

Last edited:
Tunnels and Trolls power trip by Outlaw Press/James L Shipman and bought before I realised the controversy the guy caused. The game itself is crap (rolling stats could technically leave you with a character with stats in the thousands or millions), not Ken St Andre's finest hour, but there is a germ of a good idea in there and I love T&T so I hope Ken finds the time to revisit the game.

I had that one once upon a time. As you say, it is crap.

The stuff about the D&D book is interesting. I never knew about that one until this thread.

Out of print books and boxed sets are becoming very valuable, at least as far as eBay is concerned. I’ve seen those DCH second edition boxed sets go for $150-200 if they are in good shape. MSH advanced sets upwards of $100.

The unpacking process is taking a while! The other thing is the fusty smell which is going to take one or two weeks to dissipate. These things have been in storage for six years whilst I've been in rented homes so to finally be able to unpack them gives me a warm feeling inside. As mentioned before there had been a great purge some years ago to slice the book count well down.

There's nothing particularly rare on the shelves. I took a picture of a few bits before they found a new home and will at some point reorganise it all to see what I've got. It's probably clear which were my favourite games and/or what was cheap so I snapped it up because at the time it became something of an obsession!

Problem was when I started to collect things I had a much larger house than this and though there's only me living here it's started to feel a bit crowded now!

Need to get this sorted out so I have somewhere to sleep later on.

Can I just say for the record how ridiculous Hero 6e is. 5e was a bullet stopper, 6e is so big it comes in two books (to start with) and I have no idea why I bought it. The size is just... why?!?! Does anyone play 6e and can say it's genuinely better for being so big? Other than that there are a few oddities/uncommon games on there. 7th Sea, Chivalry and Sorcery, Pendragon, Prince Valiant, Brave New World, Alternity, Heavy Gear, James Bond 007 amongst the mass of usual things from TSR etc. Oh and Cyborg Commando. Still in shrink. I tried reading some of the novels to prepare me for breaking into the boxed set and reading it but the first story was boring and I gave up on it. Then I found out that the game was not Gary Gygax's finest hour.

As I've mentioned none of this stuff is particularly rare or valuable but it's important for me because I feel (finally) that this is my place, my stuff and no one can take it from me or tell me what I can and can't do. Living with someone is always a give and take process but I can honestly say I have no desire to co-habit again!

The green folders aren't the expansion set for 'Showering Products - the RPG'! They are the Marvel Who's Who. As far as I know they are all in there but I fell out of love with that system a while back although histories of obscure characters are interesting. Plus I will pick from them to use in my shared world DC/Marvel/Whoever else I can throw in RPG.

The bottom pile is 'everything for XXVC' (the boxed set is on the shelves). At some point I would like to run a play by post set in the XXVC universe. The top pile are the various Fighting Fantasy game books (Allansia, Titan plus others) and the Sorcery books which were great and sonnuva bitch in terms of difficulty.

The middle book is an oddity.

Proof the red book paperback ain't rare. Knew I had one (or four) copies somewhere. I mentioned earlier about the copy for sale for £480. Nonsense,

The headings for the chapters have new art but the other Elmore 80s stuff (men and women with salon hair and chiselled chins/abs) of the standard books appears to have gone leaving page after page of text walls.

I'll sift through more boxes and the shelves and see if there is some interesting stuff to post up. Got a pile more boxes to go through and shelves are creaking already...

Oh, and...

conan.jpg
I wouldn't blame Ken St. Andre too much for T&T supers. The entirety of his contribution was likely the article he wrote about the possibility of such a game. No more than a few pages of notes really. The rest is pure Shipman. If you ever want to sell it, I love T&T and even like some of Shipman's stuff, so lemme know.

Snagged some of the Warhammer Fantasy Rgp stuff, I want to see how it compares to BRP based rpgs these days. I tend to always snag GM screens when possible as an aside. Since they tend to be harder to get later on. Figured I'd start with the starter box since those these days appear to really give you a good introduction into the game. I'll keep the core book as a reference to check things if I find myself confused by something in the starter box set.

Warhammer Fantasy Rpg Stuff.jpg

There is a whole raft of Italian movies in this vein during the 60s and 70s, some of which are well regarded like l'Amarate Brancaleone, which I assume inspired the title, and others which are well known, such as those with Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill.

TBH if you have every played WFRP, you will get the genre immediately :smile: Its a fun overlay to any D&D game and the implementation and setting is good.

From the Intro in the book:

The world you live in is one of breathtaking adventure, heroic feats, and legendary deeds. Here, knights in shining armor lead fearless armies against terrifying enemies; skilled treasure-hunters, ready for anything, explore the forgotten basements of long-lost empires, juggling lethal traps and nameless monsters; cunning, mischievous heroines use their charm to deceive princes and merchants and steal treasures worthy of a royal ransom in one night!

But you’re not one of them... you are the ones who step in when things go wrong: lazy swindlers, low-life scoundrels, listless dabblers, and greedy Knaves.
The ugly, the dirty, the bad ones.

Sounds like most of the D&D games I play TBH :grin:

Last edited:
Snagged copies of the OSE advanced tomes plus the adventures when they finally went up on Exalted Funeral’s site a few weeks ago. They arrived yesterday. The books are pretty nice. I’d love to run OSE for my group again some time. I’m running WWN though, so I should still be able to get some use out of the adventures. I’ve got the perfect spot for Halls of the Blood King.

OSE books.jpeg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back