Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I played a lot of GURPS back in the day when I just started roleplaying. All it takes to enjoy and appreciate GURPS is a GM who can make it run smooth as butter. I am far from such a GM, but as a player it was really good. I hear the GURPS Conan books are available print-on-demand?

I had a big chunk of cash back funds saved up on m6 credit card so I ordered a region free blu ray player and several Region B disks.

Plus picked up some reading.
You know she was in the news just maybe a week ago. She turned 70 and continues to look hot. I told one of my friends that either Botox or surgery must be her secret but my friend says it’s more likely witchcraft!

I played a lot of GURPS back in the day when I just started roleplaying. All it takes to enjoy and appreciate GURPS is a GM who can make it run smooth as butter. I am far from such a GM, but as a player it was really good. I hear the GURPS Conan books are available print-on-demand?
That they are. Looks like all of them are available.

Hey I have those Cthulhu tokens as well in both small and large sizes. Don't know what they were for originally but I have a ton of them.
Good pick up. I have no idea where they came from. Even the stuff I hand made is a mystery to me. :smile:

Picked up Alone against Fear (I never played 4 against darkness, the author's other game, but it seems it got quite a following)

View attachment 36058

What is it: basically a solo horror rpg: create a character, roll a mission and then go explore the town (map is in the book), each "block" you explore, you roll on different tables to see what happens. It's meant to be played as a campaign where your objective is to close the gates to hell/horrible dimension/whatever

I don't usually play solo rpg games (its easier to turn the PS4 on, shame on me) but I wanted to see how the author pulled it off and I must say I'm impressed: the rules are straightforward (usually, roll a d6 and try to get a high result) but meaty enough to allow for character growth and development.

There's quite a lot packed into these 104 pages,. There's already a scenario/campaign that's been released (Village of Dolls). If you're interested in any of the themes (solo play and/or horror) I would recommend it.
Interesting...
I have <0 interest in FAD, but solo horror RPG sounds fun:thumbsup:!

Mythras arrived today. I was late to the D&D 5e party (bought it about a month ago, haven't cracked the book open yet and the PHB is still in shrink) so imagine my joy when a new edition was announced. Yay.

I thought I'd put up a comparison about the Mythras core book and one of the core books of D&D. It's like comparing, say, a Spider Monkey to the 800lb Gorilla in the room (to my mind at least). Online Mythras gets a lot of love on all the forums I frequent but D&D is the game most discussed and played of course. Does that make it better? I'd say (on this forum at least) there are plenty for whom D&D is not the first chocie for fantasy gaming, and that's a situation partially of their own making with the edition warring and OGL.

This is a 'first glance' review. I've not read the rules but played both games in previous incarnations (I think Mythras stems from Runequest/Legend and 1e AD&D, BECMI and some 2e AD&D). I own previous versions of D&D (1e-4e) and the Runequest/Legend (Chainmail Bikini version, the GW version and another one, off the top of my head) game so know some of the terminology and can probably pick up the gameplay reasonably quickly in both cases. I hope.

The book itself:

Mythras strikes me as a Rules Cyclopedia type book. This is a good thing. I also bought this on sale for about £21 delivered with the PDF thrown in. I can't stress how much of a good deal this is. One book solutions weren't about when I was in school and I remember lugging about 1e AD&D, Oriental Adventures and a few other tomes as well as BECMI and whatever other games we fancied playing when at school. There was hardly any room for schoolbooks. Games have bloated massively since the 80s (Hero system, hang your head in shame) and I'm all in favour of one book solutions. Sure, there are expansions, splatbooks, more of everything available but a book + dice being all you need is to my mind, the best way to be.

AD&D (or just D&D these days) has always been a 'start with these three books' type game. Partially to keep the bullet stopping tome of intimidation from breaking bookshelves, partly because sell more books=more profit. Flicking from one book to the next has never been an enjoyable experience for me. When we played Rolemaster that seemed crazy when MERP as a one book solution could cover what we needed to do. MERP got the nod whenever I got the choice (and as GM, I had a fairly big say though we tried stuff I didn't want to GM but did anyway on a lot of occasions too).

IMG-20211001-130222.jpg

IMG-20211001-131731.jpg

In terms of book quality there is no contest. WOTC has the production budget to dwarf all others. Some other game producers can come out with stuff to rival it but these days I don't think anyone could quibble about the quality of the AD&D books. Glossy pages, art on just about every page, a massive art budget and an easy on the eye layout. Where I struggle is background art. Aside from making PDFs ink intensive if you want to print them I simply find them harder to read. My overriding impression of D&D 3e is 'Brown'. lots of brown or tan on every page. They may have gone for the aged tome look but it switched my brain off for some reason. Whether you like the art in the book is another thing. I love old school artists with clean, simple lines. Jeff Dee, Erol Otus, Larry Elmore, Bill Willingham, Liz Danforth, Gary Chalk, Russ Nicholson and more besides with the overriding theme that black and white/greyscale art is my favourite, no contest. There's some lovely art in the D&D books, but I'm not sure it adds to the game whereas I remember some of the pictures from my youth and the artists even now decades later.

The Mythras book has less art, is (I think) print on demand and has a very small font. It's harder to read and makes me wish for stronger glasses. I think a slightly higher art budget and a point or two more on the font would make me like the book more. As it is, the clean clear layout and less cluttered look appeals to me.

You can tell which pages are from which books:

IMG-20211001-130232.jpg

IMG-20211001-130237.jpg

IMG-20211001-130240.jpg

IMG-20211001-131708.jpg

IMG-20211001-131713.jpg

IMG-20211001-131716.jpg

This is a first glance from an appeal/look/design point of view. I have no doubt that both games play well and are written by people at the highest level of their craft. No doubt. Both games do the same thing (Fantasy gaming) in a different way and right now I would say Mythras is more likely to be read and played by me. I think D&D has changed a lot since I played it. It's easier on the eye, professionally laid out and very glossy. My son loves looking through the monster manual. I'm not sure it would be an easy game to teach him (he's 11 and never played RPGs before). Maybe the starter kit (which I have) is a better bet. I don't think Mythras would be a good start for him either (I always rated it as crunchier than D&D but I'll have a better idea when I read it).

From a personal point of view:

Mythras - bigger fonts, get one (or more!) of those artists I listed on board for some old school feel art (though the stuff in the book is nice, there's not a lot of it. Understandable with a lower budget for art.)

D&D - less is more sometimes. I'd be all over a refresh/reissue of BECMI and in any case I still have those old books (I think I have half a dozen complete sets of BECMI books but some of those are well battered) and am more likely to want to read/play that version of the game. AD&D always (to my mind) felt like it had an 'option creep' going on over time. You start with the core, then there's this book with these options, new classes, monsters etc that we use and before you know it there's half a dozen weighty tomes making the table and floorboards underneath it creak.

Each to their own, playing any RPG is good! Well, apart from FATAL and a few others :sad:

My son loves looking through the monster manual. I'm not sure it would be an easy game to teach him (he's 11 and never played RPGs before).
Yeah, I wouldn't go for new-style D&D with an 11-years old, either:thumbsup:.
Not even the starter kit.
I don't think Mythras would be a good start for him either (I always rated it as crunchier than D&D but I'll have a better idea when I read it).
I'd disagree, here. Mythras can be (and is) summarized in a 40-pages book - Mythras Imperative, a.k.a. the Quickstart:grin:! That's how "crunchy" it is...:shade:

After all, it has all of five rules you have to remember. Roll under skill and check level of success/failure, opposed rolls, comparing levels of success, action points, hit locations, done. The rest is just "non-game/in-game" stuff. If you have high Athletics, your character is really well-trained. Someone tries to strike you, you defend (or not), and if your move is clearly better, you get to do something by using the opening you managed to seize.
And so on.

I mean, I've taught most of the system to my 9 yo daughter,* so I'm sure your son would get it quickly, too. And you can use the Monster Manual for the art:devil:!

Mythras strikes me as a Rules Cyclopedia type book. This is a good thing. I also bought this on sale for about £21 delivered with the PDF thrown in. I can't stress how much of a good deal this is. One book solutions weren't about when I was in school and I remember lugging about 1e AD&D, Oriental Adventures and a few other tomes as well as BECMI and whatever other games we fancied playing when at school. There was hardly any room for schoolbooks. Games have bloated massively since the 80s (Hero system, hang your head in shame) and I'm all in favour of one book solutions. Sure, there are expansions, splatbooks, more of everything available but a book + dice being all you need is to my mind, the best way to be.
The core book does have everything you need, but I think a lot of people will want at least one setting book as well. Running with just the core is going to require more assembly work than some people will want to do when trying a game for the first time. Even then, it's very instructive to look at pre-made setting to get fleshed-out examples of cults and fighting styles, and how they can all fit together.

Of course, the same is true of D&D, and there the setting book is your fourth book, not the second.
My overriding impression of D&D 3e is 'Brown'. lots of brown or tan on every page. They may have gone for the aged tome look but it switched my brain off for some reason.
D&D 5th Edition's background pattern reminds me of awful website design from the '90s. Your photos also highlight just how average their layout is when it comes to the text. It checks all the basics of design. I'd get a passing grade if I turned them in for an introductory layout design class. That's all I can say for them.

The wordiness in 5E is also a big obstacle. The Player's Handbook opens with a step-by-step summary of character generation. In most books, this would be an outline for you to consult, but WotC writers never use a word when 50 will do. Step One in the summary is "Choose a Race". Seems simple enough, but this book takes four paragraphs to explain the concept. Despite taking all this time, it never tells what races what are available to choose, or even what page to look on to find the races you are choosing between. Of course, once you find that chapter, it leads off with another section called "Choose a Race" which again spends another four paragraphs explaining the concept, while saying even less than the version in the "summary".

There are plenty of RPGs that have these kind of issues, and usually look past them. You'd just think that WotC would be able to do better than the average person making a game in their study at night while working a day job.

I would actually rate the layout and design as superior in Mythras if the print was large enough to read. But that's why I treasure my much more legible copy of Runequest 6.

Whether you like the art in the book is another thing. I love old school artists with clean, simple lines. Jeff Dee, Erol Otus, Larry Elmore, Bill Willingham, Liz Danforth, Gary Chalk, Russ Nicholson and more besides with the overriding theme that black and white/greyscale art is my favourite, no contest. There's some lovely art in the D&D books, but I'm not sure it adds to the game whereas I remember some of the pictures from my youth and the artists even now decades later.

The Mythras book has less art, is (I think) print on demand and has a very small font. It's harder to read and makes me wish for stronger glasses. I think a slightly higher art budget and a point or two more on the font would make me like the book more. As it is, the clean clear layout and less cluttered look appeals to me.

IMG-20211001-130232.jpg

IMG-20211001-130237.jpg

IMG-20211001-130240.jpg

IMG-20211001-131708.jpg

IMG-20211001-131713.jpg

IMG-20211001-131716.jpg

This is a first glance from an appeal/look/design point of view. I have no doubt that both games play well and are written by people at the highest level of their craft. No doubt. Both games do the same thing (Fantasy gaming) in a different way and right now I would say Mythras is more likely to be read and played by me. I think D&D has changed a lot since I played it. It's easier on the eye, professionally laid out and very glossy. My son loves looking through the monster manual. I'm not sure it would be an easy game to teach him (he's 11 and never played RPGs before). Maybe the starter kit (which I have) is a better bet. I don't think Mythras would be a good start for him either (I always rated it as crunchier than D&D but I'll have a better idea when I read it).

Mythras - bigger fonts, get one (or more!) of those artists I listed on board for some old school feel art (though the stuff in the book is nice, there's not a lot of it. Understandable with a lower budget for art.)

D&D - less is more sometimes. I'd be all over a refresh/reissue of BECMI and in any case I still have those old books (I think I have half a dozen complete sets of BECMI books but some of those are well battered) and am more likely to want to read/play that version of the game. AD&D always (to my mind) felt like it had an 'option creep' going on over time. You start with the core, then there's this book with these options, new classes, monsters etc that we use and before you know it there's half a dozen weighty tomes making the table and floorboards underneath it creak.

Each to their own, playing any RPG is good! Well, apart from FATAL and a few others :sad:

The wordiness in 5E is also a big obstacle. The Player's Handbook opens with a step-by-step summary of character generation. In most books, this would be an outline for you to consult, but WotC writers never use a word when 50 will do. Step One in the summary is "Choose a Race". Seems simple enough, but this book takes four paragraphs to explain the concept. Despite taking all this time, it never tells what races what are available to choose, or even what page to look on to find the races you are choosing between. Of course, once you find that chapter, it leads off with another section called "Choose a Race" which again spends another four paragraphs explaining the concept, while saying even less than the version in the "summary".

I feel like part of the issue is the emphasis on a line of hardback books. D&D players have also been trained to expect 3 core books. That creates lots of pages to fill so it looks like the buyer is getting their money's worth.

Many designers are also used to getting paid by the word, usually a rate where they need Lots of words to make rent.

I don't think it works quite that way though. Don't the companies say I want and X thousand word book which the writers then write to? I couldn't as a writer boost income by padding with wordiness because the company would just say my limit is X words so cut out stuff

I don't think it works quite that way though. Don't the companies say I want and X thousand word book which the writers then write to? I couldn't as a writer boost income by padding with wordiness because the company would just say my limit is X words so cut out stuff

Depends on the publisher. I’ve had some where they’ve given me a variable word count to reach, and I didn’t puff out the pieces so I’d get the maximum dollar. Perhaps foolish on my part.

I picked up the Pathfinder Beginners Box at a thrift store. It packs an impressive amount of stuff in it. Lots of cool cardboard minis, big battle maps and well broken up rulebooks. I am not in love with the layout. It's so cluttered but they do a good job with using color to indicate grouping (assuming you're not color blind).

Greatest Thieves in Lankhmar box set arrived today. It's thicker than the Lankhmar box, but doesn't seem to have as much inside, owing to the fact that some of it is die-cut counters, plus a book of handouts. A single adventure with options for tournament scoring and what looks to be some cool puzzles and minigames, like a rooftop chase with a special map. Pretty jazzed about this. I bought DCC specifically to play Lankhmar. Not saying it doesn't look like a hoot anyway, Lankhmar or no, but Lieber's stories are my favorite fantasy tales, and DCC nails it in a way D&D couldn't.

Greatest Thieves in Lankhmar box set arrived today. It's thicker than the Lankhmar box, but doesn't seem to have as much inside, owing to the fact that some of it is die-cut counters, plus a book of handouts. A single adventure with options for tournament scoring and what looks to be some cool puzzles and minigames, like a rooftop chase with a special map. Pretty jazzed about this. I bought DCC specifically to play Lankhmar. Not saying it doesn't look like a hoot anyway, Lankhmar or no, but Lieber's stories are my favorite fantasy tales, and DCC nails it in a way D&D couldn't.
Very nice. I keep reading a lot of good reviews on the DCC Lankhmar stuff. I'm very tempted.

Very nice. I keep reading a lot of good reviews on the DCC Lankhmar stuff. I'm very tempted.
Hard to go wrong with the original Lankhmar box set. It's $45 on Amazon with free shipping. And it's packed full of stuff. GM screen, players' and Judges' guides, setting book, adventure 2 and maps. More impressive than the newer box set, tbh.

I believe there's some Lankhmar stuff available for Savage Worlds. I take it the DCC stuff is far superior?

Mythras arrived today. I was late to the D&D 5e party (bought it about a month ago, haven't cracked the book open yet and the PHB is still in shrink) so imagine my joy when a new edition was announced. Yay.

I thought I'd put up a comparison about the Mythras core book and one of the core books of D&D. It's like comparing, say, a Spider Monkey to the 800lb Gorilla in the room (to my mind at least). Online Mythras gets a lot of love on all the forums I frequent but D&D is the game most discussed and played of course. Does that make it better? I'd say (on this forum at least) there are plenty for whom D&D is not the first chocie for fantasy gaming, and that's a situation partially of their own making with the edition warring and OGL.

This is a 'first glance' review. I've not read the rules but played both games in previous incarnations (I think Mythras stems from Runequest/Legend and 1e AD&D, BECMI and some 2e AD&D). I own previous versions of D&D (1e-4e) and the Runequest/Legend (Chainmail Bikini version, the GW version and another one, off the top of my head) game so know some of the terminology and can probably pick up the gameplay reasonably quickly in both cases. I hope.

The book itself:

AD&D (or just D&D these days) has always been a 'start with these three books' type game. Partially to keep the bullet stopping tome of intimidation from breaking bookshelves, partly because sell more books=more profit. Flicking from one book to the next has never been an enjoyable experience for me. When we played Rolemaster that seemed crazy when MERP as a one book solution could cover what we needed to do. MERP got the nod whenever I got the choice (and as GM, I had a fairly big say though we tried stuff I didn't want to GM but did anyway on a lot of occasions too).

IMG-20211001-130222.jpg

IMG-20211001-131731.jpg

In terms of book quality there is no contest. WOTC has the production budget to dwarf all others. Some other game producers can come out with stuff to rival it but these days I don't think anyone could quibble about the quality of the AD&D books. Glossy pages, art on just about every page, a massive art budget and an easy on the eye layout. Where I struggle is background art. Aside from making PDFs ink intensive if you want to print them I simply find them harder to read. My overriding impression of D&D 3e is 'Brown'. lots of brown or tan on every page. They may have gone for the aged tome look but it switched my brain off for some reason. Whether you like the art in the book is another thing. I love old school artists with clean, simple lines. Jeff Dee, Erol Otus, Larry Elmore, Bill Willingham, Liz Danforth, Gary Chalk, Russ Nicholson and more besides with the overriding theme that black and white/greyscale art is my favourite, no contest. There's some lovely art in the D&D books, but I'm not sure it adds to the game whereas I remember some of the pictures from my youth and the artists even now decades later.

IMG-20211001-130232.jpg

IMG-20211001-130237.jpg

IMG-20211001-130240.jpg

IMG-20211001-131708.jpg

IMG-20211001-131713.jpg

IMG-20211001-131716.jpg

I have read that the next edition of Mythras (no firm plans announced yet) will likely have some colour to the title pages and edgings and such, but the general format will be more or less the same. This would be consistent with the more recent publications such as the most recent version of Mythras Imperative and the Mythras Companion. They are a touch more colourful and more appealing with today's market, but essientially the same clear common sense read that the DM usually prints. So that's good.

As far as WotC having the big budget for production and artwork, that is true, but there are lots of publishers who match them (and sometimes outdo them), such as Cubicle 7, Modiphius, Studio Agate, and Chaosium, just to name a few in my bookshelf. The recent CONAN, RuneQuest, and WFRP 4E books are great, and the glossy 7th Sea 2E books are a thing of beauty.

So WotC doesn't always have the best looking books on the shelves these days, but they sure as anything still have the biggest market share in the rpg industry, as it's quite amazing where you'll find the D&D 5E line showing up on shelves these days.

I believe there's some Lankhmar stuff available for Savage Worlds. I take it the DCC stuff is far superior?
I have both. The DCC stuff is more in-depth, but the Savage Worlds stuff is good- consider that the DCC is a full on boxed set, while Lankhmar: City of Thieves is a 96 page sourcebook. There's no way they can be compared.

I'm a fan of Steve Jackson's Illuminati. I managed to snag a copy of Brainwash (the only expansion I was lacking for the Deluxe version of 1st edition). It was being sold as a bundle with the game for 50 bucks on Mercari. Now, Brainwash usually sells for over a hundred. The guy selling it was a veteran, and I wasn't sure if he knew the value of it. So I messaged him and told him I'd like to buy it, but did he know it was selling on eBay (I mean actually selling, not just being priced at) over a hundo? He replied that yes he knew but it was just collecting dust and it was priced to move, but thanks for letting him know. I had a $20 coupon on Mercari, so it really worked out. The counters are unpunched, and the paper "board" is in decent shape.

I haven't checked out the 2nd edition of Illuminati, but the later printings of first are great, IMO.

Against The Darkmaster

Just looked if there was a POD + PDF bundle on sale but nope. The PDF is on sale at twenty odd quid but that price point is a no no for me. Looked on the website, the dead tree book is sold out in the US and won't ship to the UK because of Brexit issues. Hmmm. Sounds like bollocks to me, but if they don't want my money... *shrug* I always have my MERP books and the critical tables are a thing of joy and beauty to anyone who played D&D and needed a bit more... splatter... in their gaming. And unseen imaginary turtles.

Edit: Weird I just clicked on another link and the price is £11.05 on sale. I shall investigate further unless there is someone who can point me to a review...?

J Jenx you need to get Lyonesse by TDM. It is a thing of beauty! Best looking TDM product by a mile and is one of the prettiest books I’ve ever seen.
Jack Vance's Lyonesse trilogy is probably my favorite work of fantasy fiction, rivaling (and in some ways surpassing) the great Professor Tolkien's Middle Earth tales. Mythras, on the other hand, is way too crunchy for my taste. I see the PDF is currently on sale at DTRPG, I'll probably pick it up because I love the setting. Much as I love hardcover books, the price tag on this is awfully steep for something I'm unlikely to run.

Jack Vance's Lyonesse trilogy is probably my favorite work of fantasy fiction, rivaling (and in some ways surpassing) the great Professor Tolkien's Middle Earth tales. Mythras, on the other hand, is waaay too crunchy for my taste as either a player or GM... I see the PDF is currently on sale at DTRPG, I'll probably pick it up because I love the setting. Much as I love hardcover books, the price tag on this is awfully steep for something I'm unlikely to run.

As I was pleasantly surprised by Alone against Fear, I went for the rpg designed by the same author, Tales of Blades and Heroes (derived from his skirmish game, Song of Blades and Heroes) and I 'm a bit underwhelmed: it manages to be too light and too fiddly at the same time (damage is a bit too close to the miniature game, à la Savage Worlds). It just doesn't click with me. The GM book has some interesting ideas regarding GMing (nothing groundbreaking though). As far as I know the line is dead..

I also grabbed a copy of Warpstar. Warlock seems to get all the love (judging only by DTRPG sales figure/badges) but Warpstar is pretty cool, I really get the 2000AD comics and the sci-fi books of the Fighting Fantasy line vibe. I don't know why I waited so long to get it. If you have any interest in sci-fi inspired by the british comics of the 80s-90s (Nemesis the Warlock, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog...) and other sources, this is a good pick. It's extremely versatile, you could run a Space 1999 game, a Traveller campaign or a full W40K ripoff. It's one of these games that makes you want to run it each time you read it.

As a GM who knows their players won't find the most obvious clue in their adventure, I will reiterate: go buy Warpstar!

Last edited:
My copy of Untold Adventures arrived today. I think it might be my favourite iteration of the endless S&W related clones. I like OSR retro clones that reduce the amount of PC options, not increase them and it has only two classes, the Swordsman and Spellcaster (not overly hyped on the names but it’s a small grievance). This is what I plan to use to introduce any new player I come across to the joys of (my version of) ‘Old School’ play.

4A7061B3-9DCB-4747-BA1F-81C97F3F993C.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back