Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Been busy on eBay lol.... Plus my RQG Starter Box came in finally.
View attachment 38500

All are complete on the eBay stuff and the boxes are in decent shape. All the books inside are near mint which is awesome.
At one point, I owned all of those RQIII materials, but I sold most of them in various collection purges over the years. I still have the core books, Land of Ninja, and the Vikings book, though.

Hey, all you Chaosium types, which range is their city supplement in?

Hey, all you Chaosium types, which range is their city supplement in?
Do you mean the "Cities" supplement? Originally done by Midkemia Press and then Chaosium and last Avalon Hill. I don't think they did another one after that. I had used to have all the Midkemia Press stuff once upon a time. For the time period they were ahead of their time in some ways. Probably why Chaosium used their encounters stuff in the "Thieves' World" box set.

Do you mean the "Cities" supplement? Originally done by Midkemia Press and then Chaosium and last Avalon Hill. I don't think they did another one after that. I had used to have all the Midkemia Press stuff once upon a time. For the time period they were ahead of their time in some ways. Probably why Chaosium used their encounters stuff in the "Thieves' World" box set.
I'm not sure what that means in terms of availability, but it doesn't sound good...

Following posts are open boxes of each of the Avalon Hill RQ 3rd edition. Pain in the ass to get the size of the pictures down, I'm not photographer by any means but there is a size limit to post on the jpegs I've noted. Seems to be a bit over 2KB. So I had to chop the pictures a bit. Only one interior book had damage and that was only to the cover. Which I taped up with clear tape to prevent further damage. Besides that all the books are damn near new condition.

Because I went all OCD completionist I've got a few more books to go. Of the box sets I'm basically complete in my opinion. Box 2: Adventurer Sheets - Human and Box 3: Adventurer Sheets - Non Human aren't too hard to get your hands on. After that there's ten sundry other books and no more box sets that I'm aware of. Also one of the pictures is of Thieves' World and the Companion which Chaosium published themselves. I'm still missing the three FASA created adventures plus the one that was released at a Con. I had a chance at the three with the one box set of Thieves' World and Companion but got out bid after I thought the clock was done. (side note i'll never do bidding again, I was 0-3 for that due to the fucking second timer bullshit, I'll simply buy it or make and offer high enough to get the seller to bite or I'll walk away... basically fuck bidding)

Avalon Hill RQ-3 Box Set 1.jpg

Avalon Hill RQ-3 Box Set 4.jpg

Chaosium Thieves' World and Companion.jpg
Avalon Hill RQ-3 01.jpg

That's all folks. Back in the late 70's and 80's Chaosium/Avalon Hill did the best damn box sets, with the RQ stuff, Call of Cthulhu material, Elric boxes etc. I always felt they were years ahead of everyone else. With the latest RQG Starter Box they've shown that they've still got it. I'll do open box shots of that material if anyone wants it. Though after all these pictures you all might want me to stop. lol. Thank you R rmeints for motivating me to track these all down. :hehe:

Edit: Forgot. I'll start back up around February/March to finish collecting the ones I'm missing. I tend to stop ordering things by Thanksgiving and until after the New Year, the heavy shipping, weather etc just means more chances of lost or damaged shipping. I also always cross my fingers that no one Kickstarter wise is shipping during this time. Unfortunately the 2nd edition Call of Cthulhu Kickstarter I think is shipping around that time. :sad:

I’m excited that I stumbled on Legends Walk in the DriveThru sale today. I had the first edition years ago, but forgot the name. When I saw the second edition today I had to buy it.

Hopefully nostalgia hasn’t hazed my recollection of how much I enjoyed it.

Elder Secrets of Glorantha! For all those Avalon Hill RuneQuest supplements, Chaosium provided finished, camera-ready pages to Avalon Hill, leaving only spaces for Avalon Hill to fill with art AH would commission in-house. Avalon Hill's manager for all their RPG lines, including RQ, was a high-school kid Eric Dott hired from behind the counter at his local game store in Baltimore, this being the only person Eric Dott knew who had any familiarity with RPGs. The high-school kid had, we may infer, no great experience in art direction. The illustrations in Elder Secrets -- in particular, the one for the fearsome Crimson Bat, the monster that terrorized entire civilizations -- convinced Chaosium they had to manage the art direction as well as the text.

I can't find the Elder Secrets illo of the horrible Crimson Bat, that immortal scourge of entire cultures. Perhaps someone here could scan and post the Elder Secrets illo of the terrifying Crimson Bat, agent of devastation that could wipe out entire empires.

Last edited:
Elder Secrets of Glorantha! For all those Avalon Hill RuneQuest supplements, Chaosium provided finished, camera-ready pages to Avalon Hill, leaving only spaces for Avalon Hill to fill with art AH would commission in-house. Avalon Hill's manager for all their RPG lines, including RQ, was a high-school kid Eric Dott hired from behind the counter at his local game store in Baltimore, this being the only person Eric Dott knew who had any familiarity with RPGs. The high-school kid had, we may infer, no great experience in art direction. The illustrations in Elder Secrets -- in particular, the one for the fearsome Crimson Bat, the monster that terrorized entire civilizations -- convinced Chaosium they had to manage the art direction as well as the text.

I can't find the Elder Secrets illo of the horrible Crimson Bat, that immortal scourge of entire cultures. Perhaps someone here could scan and post the Elder Secrets illo of the terrifying Crimson Bat, agent of devastation that could wipe out entire empires.
Right, I recall that pretty much that Chaosium did the work mostly to completion, I just wasn't aware of that whole hiring the counter kid from the local game store part. LOL Nicely played Avalon Hill. Wow. I thought the whole idea of Chaosium using Avalon Hill at the time was due to AH having a larger reach and more publishing muscle to produce more books faster. Sounds like Avalon Hill fooled Chaosium.

Last edited:
...Perhaps someone here could scan and post the Elder Secrets illo of the terrifying Crimson Bat, agent of devastation that could wipe out entire empires.
I'm pretty sure Acmegamer's post from yesterday (26 Nov.) that is it on Book 2 where he has the box set unpacked. It looks like a fun pet, not the destroyer of empires....but perhaps that is why is is so evil, like the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man.

View attachment 38591
View attachment 38592

That's all folks. Back in the late 70's and 80's Chaosium/Avalon Hill did the best damn box sets, with the RQ stuff, Call of Cthulhu material, Elric boxes etc. I always felt they were years ahead of everyone else. With the latest RQG Starter Box they've shown that they've still got it. I'll do open box shots of that material if anyone wants it. Though after all these pictures you all might want me to stop. lol. Thank you R rmeints for motivating me to track these all down. :hehe:

Edit: Forgot. I'll start back up around February/March to finish collecting the ones I'm missing. I tend to stop ordering things by Thanksgiving and until after the New Year, the heavy shipping, weather etc just means more chances of lost or damaged shipping. I also always cross my fingers that no one Kickstarter wise is shipping during this time. Unfortunately the 2nd edition Call of Cthulhu Kickstarter I think is shipping around that time. :sad:
Goddamn, that’s sweet. I have the Deluxe RQ box, and a couple copies of Thieves’ World (one mint), but I really will have to look for Griffin Island and Japan (just for the maps if nothing else).

Yeah, show us the new box stuff.:thumbsup:

Goddamn, that’s sweet. I have the Deluxe RQ box, and a couple copies of Thieves’ World (one mint), but I really will have to look for Griffin Island and Japan (just for the maps if nothing else).

Yeah, show us the new box stuff.:thumbsup:
Until my dying day I'll totally regret giving my large library of gaming stuff away to an old military buddy back in 1999/2000 (winter of 1999). Thinking that gaming was dying and online was where it was at and that I clearing up all the space would be a good thing. What a dumbass I was.

I'm trying to view the last ten years of rebuilding after coming back to the hobby after ten years as a positive thing, having fun in just collecting things again and re-reading them. Plus it's been a lot of fun and interesting to read all the new material that's come out in recent years and see how it's developed as a hobby.

Edit: Lucky for me my wife supports my addictions err hobbies. lol

Until my dying day I'll totally regret giving my large library of gaming stuff away to an old military buddy back in 1999/2000 (winter of 1999). Thinking that gaming was dying and online was where it was at and that I clearing up all the space would be a good thing. What a dumbass I was.

I'm trying to view the last ten years of rebuilding after coming back to the hobby after ten years as a positive thing, having fun in just collecting things again and re-reading them. Plus it's been a lot of fun and interesting to read all the new material that's come out in recent years and see how it's developed as a hobby.

Edit: Lucky for me my wife supports my addictions err hobbies. lol
Never get rid of anything and if someone says to you want my old xxx just scream yes enthusiastically. It works for me. Not so much for my wife but that's her problem....

I got something quite nice recently. 5 copies of the Swords and Wizardry Complete box. Not for me, for Toys for Tots.

View attachment 38763
View attachment 38764
View attachment 38765
I hope some lucky kids get these games and the adventures inside fuel their imaginations for years to come.
I may have been responsible for an e-mail at my employer years ago about “appropriate” Toys For Tots donations after I contributed a FFG Confrontation set.

I may have been responsible for an e-mail at my employer years ago about “appropriate” Toys For Tots donations after I contributed a FFG Confrontation set.
I hope I didn't get Luchesse Boots in trouble, then. :irritated:

Last edited:
Just got mine yesterday as well and played some of the basic scenarios with my daughter, mostly against mooks and Rupert Throne. Haven't gone up against supervillians yet. It's good fun, fairly quick to learn.

I'll have to paint mine first. Get nervous twitches* when I play boardgames with unpainted plastic miniatures!

* Joking here. But not by much!

Definitely a boardgame week this week...

SAM_7010.JPG

... Camera couldn't focus due to the Spice, maaaaaaaaan!

SAM_7011.JPG

That Dune is the revised version of the old one. Gets rid of clunky rules, speeds up play and makes it far more playable for two players (supposedly).

It appears above on the cover of the Secrets book. Someone could post a cropped higher-resolution closeup of it... e.g. me. But I'm lazy, that bookshelf is whole yards away in another room, and I have a small degree of concern about the eyes and minds of innocent forum-readers.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back