Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Skywalker said:

Well it hasn't spawned an anime show yet, unlike old school D&D ;p
View attachment 45153

So old school got converted to anime, whereas 5e already is so doesn't need to. Got it! :thumbsup:

I vaguely remember watching Record of Lodoss War, was it? Was pretty good.

And speaking of old school... I picked up these recently:

SAM_7648.JPG

SAM_7649.JPG

SAM_7650.JPG

SAM_7651.JPG

SAM_7652.JPG

SAM_7653.JPG

KNOCK! issues 1, 2, and 3. Packed with cool ideas. Really are lovely digest-sized books, highly recommend them.

Attachments

• SAM_7650.JPG
    SAM_7650.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
From Wikipedia: “Record of Lodoss War was created in 1986 by Group SNE as a Dungeons & Dragons "replay" serialized in the Japanese magazine Comptiqfrom 1986 to 1988, though they also used the setting with other systems such as Tunnels & Trolls and RuneQuest.”

Citation: Yasuda, Hitoshi. Afterword. Record of Lodoss War 1: The Grey Witch (ロードス島戦記 灰色の魔女, Rōdosutō Senki Haiiro no Majo). By Ryo Mizuno. Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko, 1988. 291.

Lets see...

View attachment 45174

... how good this is!
I may have fallen deeply in love with this game already.

My wife is concerned.

Edit: I rarely post in this thread as I only buy books in electronic format which means I can’t post pretty pictures. But I think I should post here anyway.

So old school got converted to anime, whereas 5e already is so doesn't need to. Got it! :thumbsup:

View attachment 45164

View attachment 45165

View attachment 45167

View attachment 45168

View attachment 45169

View attachment 45170

KNOCK! issues 1, 2, and 3. Packed with cool ideas. Really are lovely digest-sized books, highly recommend them.
Cool map on internal cover, and I absolutely love the old school wacky artwork flavoured throughout these books.
Looks like these are nice little hardcover digests to have in the bookcase.
If I ran D&D OSR I certainly would be grabbing these

Small bundle of books today:

View attachment 45186
I have Tricube Tales, that core booklet of generic rules is really just a large pamphlet, yet I really love the simplicity of running it.
It feels very unencumbered, and is about as rules-lite as you can get but it works really well.

I like that characters are recorded as a few brief descriptors or phrases - barely worth jotting on an index card for each character. It’s a bit like playing with Fate Core Aspects and no Skills, and it works fine for such a little system

I can record three PCs on one page (with portrait pics), which is a shared sheet that can be passed around my group at the gaming table as needed. This can lend itself quite well to group suggestions, as every player can see the entire PC list whenever they read the sheet. In addition to this, because individual players do not constantly have the sheet in their hand, it prompts visualising the characters more as personas, which can lead to lots of getting into character and hamming up the roles.

It is surprising how good it is for what it does. Very rules-lite and straight forward. Lots of opportunities for hand wavey narrative hijinks. Also minimal book keeping for a GM, and perfect for doing a VTT if you only have a voice chat like Skype and an online group dice roller app.

I highly recommend Tricube Tales for any loose pulpy action game, or anything that is portrayed better in broad brushstrokes, it’s the opposite of granularity.
Lots of fun, and it should be more well known than what it is.

I don't know those other titles, but they have interesting covers

Last edited:
Battlelords of the 23rd century 7e.

Crunchy, hardcore ,detailed combat themed rpg set in a scifi space opera universe. Goes back to 1990, never succumbed to the dumbing down trend, never succumbed to wokism. I

IMG_3437 Medium.jpeg

After a playtest of the Marvel Multiverse, I went searching for supers games that capture intense gameplay at speed with not-too-much crunch (I'm too old to crunch overmuch through a system) and I think I found one in Prowlers & Paragons. I bought a POD version from DriveThru, which was my first POD and I've been pleased with the final package.

Lets see...

View attachment 45174

... how good this is!
My copy just arrived!

Didn't realize that it was going to be in color. Very nice. To be clear, all the artwork is B&W or greyscale. But it's very nice.

Going to build some characters tonight. Super psyched.

This is my first super hero RPG (Savage Worlds Super Powers Companion doesn't fully count, IMHO).

I have Tricube Tales, that core booklet of generic rules is really just a large pamphlet, yet I really love the simplicity of running it.
It feels very unencumbered, and is about as rules-lite as you can get but it works really well.

I like that characters are recorded as a few brief descriptors or phrases - barely worth jotting on an index card for each character. It’s a bit like playing with Fate Core Aspects and no Skills, and it works fine for such a little system

I can record three PCs on one page (with portrait pics), which is a shared sheet that can be passed around my group at the gaming table as needed. This can lend itself quite well to group suggestions, as every player can see the entire PC list whenever they read the sheet. In addition to this, because individual players do not constantly have the sheet in their hand, it prompts visualising the characters more as personas, which can lead to lots of getting into character and hamming up the roles.

It is surprising how good it is for what it does. Very rules-lite and straight forward. Lots of opportunities for hand wavey narrative hijinks. Also minimal book keeping for a GM, and perfect for doing a VTT if you only have a voice chat like Skype and an online group dice roller app.

I highly recommend Tricube Tales for any loose pulpy action game, or anything that is portrayed better in broad brushstrokes, it’s the opposite of granularity.
Lots of fun, and it should be more well known than what it is.

I don't know those other titles, but they have interesting covers

Do you have any of the 1 page supplements? Curious about the quality / how well they work with the system.

Do you have any of the 1 page supplements? Curious about the quality / how well they work with the system.
I downloaded most of those one-pagers, but haven't run any of them. They sure look alot of fun, but I think I may need a bit more of a scenario structure to make most of them hum. I'm sure the game mechanics will work fine, but I need to be a better GM to make a game out of a one-page idea.
I suspect I may be able to run a few one shots if I am feeling creative enough, but I tend to work better rifting off a more structured scenario.

I've been running Tricube Tales with some 1920s/1930s Pulp Adventure scenarios which were originally designed for Savage Worlds, and the system is really great for this kind of thing: Daring Tales of Adventure
(I actually recently posted an example of two of the characters in this thread's post)

I downloaded most of those one-pagers, but haven't run any of them. They sure look alot of fun, but I think I may need a bit more of a scenario structure to make most of them hum. I'm sure the game mechanics will work fine, but I need to be a better GM to make a game out of a one-page idea.
I suspect I may be able to run a few one shots if I am feeling creative enough, but I tend to work better rifting off a more structured scenario.

I've been running Tricube Tales with some 1920s/1930s Pulp Adventure scenarios which were originally designed for Savage Worlds, and the system is really great for this kind of thing: Daring Tales of Adventure
(I actually recently posted an example of two of the characters in this thread's post)

That thread led me here so now I'm stuck in a loop, thanks. :hehe:

Not usually into light games, but recently I have had some interest in finding something super quick and easy with a broad utility. Your description of this in the other thread peaked my interest. I like that is still uses dice, so not just a narrative method, but also not a dice pool. Doesn't hurt that it is cheap, there is a bundle that looks like in includes all the 1 page supplements for less than $10. Basically just wanted to know if they were decent, or if I should just get the core. Sounds like it is worth spending a few more dollars.

I think I remember being able to get most of those one-page genre ideas for free by downloading each of them separately from DrivethruRPG

I would buy the Tricube Tales core book (its so cheap), then use it to hack away at any setting you want to run, just as long as its very pulpy handwavey stuff

Two-Fisted Rollicking Pulp Adventure?
ThrillingTales of the Arabian Nights?
Princess Bride or Terry Pratchett Fantasy?
Hammer/Universal Fright Night B-Grade Investigators?
Dirty Harry, Lethal Weapon, Lone Wolf, Die Hard, Fast & Furious, The Expendables, Cheesy Action Heroes?

Yep anything along those lines are perfect for it if you are a tinkerer GM
Its also an excellent game if you ever need to play over a voice chat, its very simple.
Its highly narrative, but its not a storygame, its just very rules-lite
Sort of like Fate (or more like Fudge), but more handwavey and at the same time more straightforward.

It is all revolving around a very simple game mechanic:
- Can the players attempt an action?
It's Yes or No.
If Yes, assign a target number based on the difficulty (Easy 4, Average 5, Hard 6), then make the roll:
- They attempt the action described (Roll 2D6)
- Are they penalised in any way? (Roll 1D6)
- Are they advantaged in any way? (Roll 3D6)

You can work that out from the circumstances in the scene, as well as the characters' descriptors, such as concept, perks, quirks, and background.
So its pretty easy to GM this as you go, there's not much more rules then that.

Give the characters a few tokens for Luck/Karma and Resolve and that's it.

Luck/Karma is very handy for rerolls, enhancing rolls, or just narrative edits, and regained during milestones, use of Quirks, other in-session awards etc. Resolve is depleted socially (humilation, intimidation, fear, etc) or physically (fatigue, illness, injury, etc), which recovers at different rates depending on the cause, situation, and other circumstances. Having no Resolve means the character is incapacitated. No hard rules here, it's all very vague and flows with the pacing of the game,

I would have to read the book for more specifics, but there is not much more to it as this is all covered in quite a small digest-sized booklet.

Tricube Tales is the opposite of granularity, but that's pretty much what I like about it.
I have BRP/Mythras and WFRP for when I want to get tactile and crunchy, and they are the kind of systems that are great for ongoing campaigns.
Tricube Tales is the exact opposite, and it has become a handy rules-lite game I can run on the spot for pulp adventure action or just stuff to goof around with.

I'm reposting these characters below from my other post, as they really have no place in the Hall of Shame thread
Here's two Pulp Adventure characters in my group, these are literally their character sheets:

1651882133630.png
Madelaine Montegomery
Concept: Astute Adventuring Scholar
Rank/Advances: 1/3
Perks: Steely Gaze, Moxie, Worldly Wise
Quirk: Curious /Meddling
Conflict Style: Mental
Tokens: Luck 3, Resolve 3
Background: A strong-willed New Yorker Field Academic of some renown,
an experienced Archaeologist who often spends more time in dusty ruins
than she does in musty libraries. Her love of righting injustices is second
only to her love of ancient cultures and lore.

1651882166876.png
Victor Culvier
Concept: Rugged Aviator Adventurer
Perks: Eagle Eyes, Trick Shot
Quirk: Brash
Conflict Style: Physical (ranged), Physical (melee)
Background: A dashing and roguish adventurer from Belgium who was a
famed Flying Ace of The Royal Flying Corp during the Great War. These days
he is an independent operator whose blend of daring flying skills and the ability
to handle himself in a fight (Bartitsu), has often seen both favour and fallen foul
with smugglers and scofflaws alike.

So these are examples of how characters get recorded, that is pretty much all the info required for the characters.
Tricube Tales is a generic toolkit, but the game really only hums well for pulpy rollicking style genres where you don't need much meat on the bone, it's all about handwavey fun

It's not for everyone, but if you approach it with that mindset then it is very light to run and surprisingly good fun

By the way, I hope you liked The Loop. It's like Hotel California in that it's hard to leave heh heh

Last edited:
I may have fallen deeply in love with this game already.

My wife is concerned.

Edit: I rarely post in this thread as I only buy books in electronic format which means I can’t post pretty pictures. But I think I should post here anyway.
Pretty pictures are optional. Coming to this thread to talk about a cool PDF you got is entirely welcome.

Pretty pictures are optional. Coming to this thread to talk about a cool PDF you got is entirely welcome.
On the other hand going to any thread to talk about what you had for dinner or got up to the weekend is pretty much mandatory.

thread-drift.gif

I think I remember being able to get most of those one-page genre ideas for free by downloading each of them separately from DrivethruRPG

I would buy the Tricube Tales core book (its so cheap), then use it to hack away at any setting you want to run, just as long as its very pulpy handwavey stuff

Two-Fisted Rollicking Pulp Adventure?
ThrillingTales of the Arabian Nights?
Princess Bride or Terry Pratchett Fantasy?
Hammer/Universal Fright Night B-Grade Investigators?
Dirty Harry, Lethal Weapon, Lone Wolf, Die Hard, Fast & Furious, The Expendables, Cheesy Action Heroes?

Yep anything along those lines are perfect for it if you are a tinkerer GM
Its also an excellent game if you ever need to play over a voice chat, its very simple.
Its highly narrative, but its not a storygame, its just very rules-lite
Sort of like Fate (or more like Fudge), but more handwavey and at the same time more straightforward.

It is all revolving around a very simple game mechanic:
- Can the players attempt an action?
It's Yes or No.
If Yes, assign a target number based on the difficulty (Easy 4, Average 5, Hard 6), then make the roll:
- They attempt the action described (Roll 2D6)
- Are they penalised in any way? (Roll 1D6)
- Are they advantaged in any way? (Roll 3D6)

You can work that out from the circumstances in the scene, as well as the characters' descriptors, such as concept, perks, quirks, and background.
So its pretty easy to GM this as you go, there's not much more rules then that.

Give the characters a few tokens for Luck/Karma and Resolve and that's it.

Luck/Karma is very handy for rerolls, enhancing rolls, or just narrative edits, and regained during milestones, use of Quirks, other in-session awards etc. Resolve is depleted socially (humilation, intimidation, fear, etc) or physically (fatigue, illness, injury, etc), which recovers at different rates depending on the cause, situation, and other circumstances. Having no Resolve means the character is incapacitated. No hard rules here, it's all very vague and flows with the pacing of the game,

I would have to read the book for more specifics, but there is not much more to it as this is all covered in quite a small digest-sized booklet.

Tricube Tales is the opposite of granularity, but that's pretty much what I like about it.
I have BRP/Mythras and WFRP for when I want to get tactile and crunchy, and they are the kind of systems that are great for ongoing campaigns.
Tricube Tales is the exact opposite, and it has become a handy rules-lite game I can run on the spot for pulp adventure action or just stuff to goof around with.

I'm reposting these characters below from my other post, as they really have no place in the Hall of Shame thread
Here's two Pulp Adventure characters in my group, these are literally their character sheets:

View attachment 45255
Madelaine Montegomery
Concept: Astute Adventuring Scholar
Perks: Steely Gaze, Moxie, Worldly Wise
Quirk: Curious /Meddling
Conflict Style: Mental
Background: A strong-willed New Yorker Field Academic of some renown,
an experienced Archaeologist who often spends more time in dusty ruins
than she does in musty libraries. Her love of righting injustices is second
only to her love of ancient cultures and lore.

View attachment 45256
Victor Culvier
Concept: Rugged Aviator Adventurer
Perks: Eagle Eyes, Trick Shot
Quirk: Brash
Conflict Style: Physical (ranged), Physical (melee)
Background: A dashing and roguish adventurer from Belgium who was a
famed Flying Ace of The Royal Flying Corp during the Great War. These days
he is an independent operator whose blend of daring flying skills and the ability
to handle himself in a fight (Bartitsu), has often seen both favour and fallen foul
with smugglers and scofflaws alike.

So these are examples of how characters get recorded, that is pretty much all the info required for the characters.
Tricube Tales is a generic toolkit, but the game really only hums well for pulpy rollicking style genres where you don't need much meat on the bone, it's all about handwavey fun

It's not for everyone, but if you approach it with that mindset then it is very light to run and surprisingly good fun

By the way, I hope you liked The Loop. It's like Hotel California in that it's hard to leave heh heh

Sold

View attachment 45164

View attachment 45165

View attachment 45167

View attachment 45168

View attachment 45169

View attachment 45170

How big are those? And where can you pick them up now?

Mankcam Mankcam doesn't know it, but he convinced me to buy Tricube Tales.
When I previously bought it on DrivethruRPG the little hard copy core rules booklet was very inexpensive, and came with a pdf version and a phone app version, so its pretty handy. I should get a finders fee, but given the price of the core booklet, I'ld probably have to sell a hundred of them in order to buy myself a cappucino, heh heh. I really mean it when I say that there's not much to the system, but that's the charm of it.

I hope you have alot of fun with the game, I find it to be a little rippa to run :shade:

Last edited:
How big are those? And where can you pick them up now?

They're pretty much A5, 15cm x 21cm or thereabouts, and softback with full colour throughout; really lovely books. I got them off a Kickstarter and I'm guessing they'll run other campaigns for later issues as that seems to be the trend. You could contact the creators for more info through KS.

Picked up a copy of Top Secret: New World Order at HPB for 25 bucks. Corebook has a couple of creases, but everything else is nearly pristine and complete. Yeah, I hear terrible things, but I've been wanting to get it anyway because reasons.

Edit: the character sheet has a callout to the best spy series of all time, The Sandbaggers.

So this isn't exactly something I obtained recently, but I have rather a large collection of DCC stuff that I've never done more than glance at, but which I am currently actually reading. It's a more interesting design take on the OSR than I was expecting. Plus it has a lovely amount of gonzo baked into the adventures, which I like.

Picked up a copy of Top Secret: New World Order at HPB for 25 bucks. Corebook has a couple of creases, but everything else is nearly pristine and complete. Yeah, I hear terrible things, but I've been wanting to get it anyway because reasons.

Edit: the character sheet has a callout to the best spy series of all time, The Sandbaggers.

I wouldn't mind adding Top Secret to the game stash. Chances of running it are zero but both the original and later SI edition had some novel ideas and are interesting to me from a historical and nostalgic perspective. The original TS has one of the great RPG covers.

Sadly only NWO is available on Drive Thru. I know nothing about it, but the reviews are pretty awful, so I'll be curious to hear what you think of it, hot mess or just a dated game system not accepted by the New World Order. :hehe:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back