Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I got my 40th anniversary Call of Cthulhu box. As 2nd edition was the first RPG I bough in English (I had to read an English book for school, and managed to get the teacher to agree that an RPG would suffice), I just got this one to have a spare. :smile:

Some recent chatter about Tri Tac Games sent me to get some Bureau 13 PDFs toute de suite! The Black Powder supplement has some good Wild West coverage. Is this a new Western system with which to plague my friends?

Yeah 1st edition PHB and DMG did wonders for my vocabulary.
It was the same for me ! My English teacher really wondered where the hell I had been exposed to words like "spear", "voulge" and "henchmen" :grin:.
My personal favorites were "legerdemain" and "mountebank" (good luck reading that last one... well, anywhere at all).

Damm !

I just read this from the Webster dictionary :

" In Middle French, folks who were clever enough to fool others with fast-fingered illusions were described as leger de main, literally "light of hand." English speakers condensed that phrase into a noun when they borrowed it in the 15th century and began using it as an alternative to the older sleight of hand."

legerdemain <<<< léger de main !

I spent 40 years without realizing that word came from my (at the times medevial) mother language.

AD&D blows my mind again !

All bow down before Gygax !

Bit of an oddball update for me.

As some might remember the Tunnels and Trolls Deluxe edition I printed had a ... unique cover. Paint, following an internet guide and... it not turning out as planned resulted like it had been rolled in poop.

Plus, despite splitting the book in half (Character creation and combat/magic and in book two all the fluff, world info and adventures) it's still a handful so I thought I'd split it up again. This is something I'm planning to do for the Against the Darkmaster game as someone showed up thread. Easier to manage in smaller books.

The problem is covers. Dammit.

I've tried printing A4, spreading A4 onto several sheets to make an A3, covering in brown wrapping paper, faux leather, painting a cover... Finally got an A3 ink refill kit so going to permanently stain my fingers filling that I should think. Even then, the A3 printer I have is old and I don't even know what it prints like because it was second hand and I've not used it for years.

Lasers don't print full colour pages well. Pages yes, duplex, fine, but full colour is a challenge for them.

Bullet stopping tome printed and bound in half. More useful, easier to handle, still a bit of a handful.

The plan was to print a smaller book with faux leather cover and gold foil text after messing about in photoshop. Then switching to paintshop pro because it does a lot of the same thing without the faff. This was the way it looked on screen:

My laser printer had other ideas. The brown came out more red for some sheets. Weird as it was all printed at the same time, new/fresh toner etc. It decided to flip me a finger and I went with it anyway rather than print again and see the same result.

Anyway. plodding on. The book is easier to handle, tough (that greyboard is as thick as you'll find anywhere. I can't find it any thicker than 3000 microns).

These books are meant for using/reading so I build em to take a beating. The original dog poo cover book has had some use, probably more than any other book I can remember for decades.

Almost half the thickness of the dog poo special one off edition. This is character creation and equipment. Next up is combat and magic.

Hopefully this will be easier to handle and reference.

Book 2. Ready to cover. Nnngh.

Plan is to print book three and four all in the same style (or lack of) and make either a slipcase or a box to put them all in. Note it would be a far easier process to softback these books but I like the solid feel of hardback and I've refined the process so from print I can sew and cover in under an hour, and that's mostly for the glue drying. I use PVA to stick to boards and glue stick where any paper is involved. The glue sticks do not ripple pages. Found that out during this whole process and I'm happy with it. Clear contact to cover is still a bitch to handle. No bubbles this time but I didn't get off unscathed shall we say.

This time last year I'd have dropped a £1000 or whatever on a new A3 printer with an ink tank. With the rail strike looming and zero overtime I'm having to tighten my belt somewhat.

One last thing...

A comparison of what you get from Drivethru vs homebrew. The XXVC clone (think the author frequents here, no?) with variant 'nicked off the internet' cover. The Marvel Supers clone is in hardback. Both of mine are A4 and the POD stuff are... slightly smaller. Not a lot but this stuff matters when your eyes are crap. I also print all mine off at 102% size to squeeze everything on the page but also help when reading just a tiny bit. Every little helps!

Edit: One last pic! This is the cover I've been toying about with for book 2.

Last edited:
It was the same for me ! My English teacher really wondered where the hell I had been exposed to words like "spear", "voulge" and "henchmen" :grin:.
My personal favorites were "legerdemain" and "mountebank" (good luck reading that last one... well, anywhere at all).
Comics writer Marv Wolfman observed that in elementary school he could tell which kids read comic books, because they were the only ones who knew the word "invulnerable."

Being one of the people who played the heck out of that games (for 18ish years) and contributed, I still suggest the 92 version of the game. I hope you got that version.

Yes, I did! I had that edition way back in the nineties but never actually played the game - the tone, the art, and its encounter table were more a source of inspiration once I scared myself off with the realistic damage system. Rereading the book, I'm sorry that I missed just how simple and swift the game is when you follow certain options - really fun old-fashioned gaming here!

I remember using the word “dais” for a raised platform due to D&D and having my primary school teacher being impressed. Also learning about 30, 45, and 60 degree angles about 5 years before being taught them in math.

I got a new Laptop. My old one, while still technically functional finally got to the point where it's too frustrating to deal with. Mostly the screen has started to fall apart, forcing me to stick a bunch of tape around it and wedge a external harddrive cord in between the screen and the keyboard in order to hold it in place tight enough. Plus it could barely have 2 tabs open without lagging.
So I upgraded, and got a gaming laptop. It has less memory than my original but now that I no longer need to use the aforementioned external hardrive cord I can use that for storage.
It does have Windows 11 and I am not a fan, might very well have a friend downgrade back to windows 10.

Last edited:
Noble Knight arrived today:

Starfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook and Armory. Pretty sure everyone knows exactly what these are.

Starfinder Advanced Skill Guide from Rogue Genius Games... third-party supplement for Starfinder, adding all sorts of optional skill rules, including applying the Skill Unlock rules from Pathfinder Unchained to Starfinder and its slightly modified skill list.

Arcforge Technology Expanded and Psibertech from Legendary Games. These are for Pathfinder, rather than Starfinder, but in space fantasy games, armories are as crucial as bestiaries.

Pathfinder Unchained is a long-time wishlist item of mine, as the Unearthed Arcana of Pathfinder. I love this book, and I'm gladI finally glad I got my hands on it. My own game designs... owe a lot to some of the variants in here.

Swords & Wizardry core rulebook. Enough said, really... I just bought this for context for all of the White Box offshoots I already own.

And, finally... a massive haul of D&D 4e books. Player's Handbook 1, 2, and 3 and the supplement handbooks for Martial, Arcane, Divine, and Primal classes. I accidentally ordered a duplicate copy of Martial Power, and that plus my remaining store credit is worth about half of the price for Psionic Power.

I'll be getting the 4e DMG and MM1, at least, from a friend who has no further use for them. I'm considering whether I want to get the other Monster Manuals or not.

I'll be getting the 4e DMG and MM1, at least, from a friend who has no further use for them. I'm considering whether I want to get the other Monster Manuals or not.

My recollection is that MM1 almost immediately started showing some strange gaps even in Tier 1 play. I don't recall if it was just my preference that I aesthetically wanted to branch out to monsters beyond it's pages, or if it was genuine deficiency in monster types at certain threat levels.

I actually have a fondness for 4e but it’s a collection nightmare in that you really need as many books as possible to get the full picture. The core 3 books are rough once you play the game for a while, so much so that you can’t own just those and stop there. I sold all my 4e books as a result a while back as I couldn’t commit that much shelf space to a game I wouldn’t play that often, whereas I have kept my core 1e and B/X books as the above does not apply.

Anywhere I can get 4e hardcopies on the cheap? There was a time I could buy them for next to nothing and I stupidly did not take advantage at the time.

I think the 1-2 years after a new edition is put out is about the low for buying the previous edition. That's long enough that people who were holding onto the previous edition start to be a real minority and coincides with when many people are dumping the previous edition because they're sure they are done with it. Makes it a flood at the used stores who just want to turn it over quick. That's when I started buying my 4e books.

I wanted to get the 4e books to reskin the system into a board game style dungeon crawler

My recollection is that MM1 almost immediately started showing some strange gaps even in Tier 1 play. I don't recall if it was just my preference that I aesthetically wanted to branch out to monsters beyond it's pages, or if it was genuine deficiency in monster types at certain threat levels.
Well... my use-case here isn't satisfying play experience-- I'm looking for design principles I can extrapolate into the rules framework I'm designing. Given the wording of the OGL, I don't think I could translate 4e monsters into an OGL-compliant work and... I would want to very thoroughly cross my eyes and dote on my teas before I even tried to reimplement 4e monster design concepts in the 3.PF OGL versions of the monsters.

But what I'm really looking for from these books is how do I design bosses and minions in a natural and satisfying way within a ruleset designed around OSR/NSR principles? Of every edition of D&D, I don't hesitate to say that I think 4e had the best monster design... even if the combat system was a little grindy, which is a problem I'm already trying to solve.

Leger de main? I always read it like in its native French, except sometimes I also pronounce the "r" as a bow to the way English usually spells French words...:grin:

Damm !

I just read this from the Webster dictionary :

" In Middle French, folks who were clever enough to fool others with fast-fingered illusions were described as leger de main, literally "light of hand." English speakers condensed that phrase into a noun when they borrowed it in the 15th century and began using it as an alternative to the older sleight of hand."

legerdemain <<<< léger de main !

I spent 40 years without realizing that word came from my (at the times medevial) mother language.

AD&D blows my mind again !

All bow down before Gygax !

Really? As a French Language School graduate I knew it since the first time I met it. Admittedly, it was in an RPG text, so the point stands... but my comment was "OK, obviously another French word that the English adopted, like melee".
(That one is my go-to example since reading Ivanhoe - so before starting with RPGs - where it was mentioned that "melee" was a newfangled French word:shade:).

Only comic readers knew “excelsior”!
Which meaning did the know:tongue:?

Admittedly, even I didn't know it's a font size, until today, and why did I know that it also means "wood shavings" is a question even I can't answer:thumbsup:!

Took advantage of DTRPG before prices go up to finally get the Boot Hill 2e line in print:View attachment 46430
Great minds think alike. I have the 2E boxed set and original copies of the modules but figured it would be nice to have knock about copies. You can see the boxed set second from the top in the second row, I’m not sure where the actual modules are buried at the moment…

Attachments

• 90BEC909-D70E-4DBC-90DC-65E4BEC8BDE9.jpeg
    90BEC909-D70E-4DBC-90DC-65E4BEC8BDE9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 267F569F-2715-4E7D-BCCD-BEE5E98C70DE.jpeg
    267F569F-2715-4E7D-BCCD-BEE5E98C70DE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Great minds think alike. I have the 2E boxed set and original copies of the modules but figured it would be nice to have knock about copies. You can see the boxed set second from the top in the second row, I’m not sure where the actual modules are buried at the moment…
Nice! And I noticed that Boot Hill sits right next to my favorite board game, Chill: Black Morn Manor, as it should be!

Nice! And I noticed that Boot Hill sits right next to my favorite board game, Chill: Black Morn Manor, as it should be!
I'm slowly making new pieces and cards so I can take it to various old school conventions and run it for folks. That and ICE's The Lonely Mountain which is kind of like Dungeon on steriods.

A generous friend of mine recently traded me his collection of Mayfair Games DC Superheroes boxed sets and adventures. I've been wanting these forever, so super geeked to have these in my collection now. Been loving reading through them! Can't wait to play sometime.

A generous friend of mine recently traded me his collection of Mayfair Games DC Superheroes boxed sets and adventures. I've been wanting these forever, so super geeked to have these in my collection now. Been loving reading through them! Can't wait to play sometime.
TSR MSH was my game as a youth, I never had DC Heroes back then but not too long ago picked up a bunch of stuff for it and hope to get it to the table next year!

Who needs new games when there are all these cool old ones still out there!

TSR MSH was my game as a youth, I never had DC Heroes back then but not too long ago picked up a bunch of stuff for it and hope to get it to the table next year!

Who needs new games when there are all these cool old ones still out there!
This is part of why I never really sell anything but duplicates. It just keeps getting easier and easier to find someone willing to play a game when you have all of them and are open to most genres. I'm in demand! Well at least in my head.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back