Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It was on an RPG auction FB group. Got all three for $100, which I thought was a great deal, considering the scarcity of #1

Picked up OSE and does joining their Dolmenwood Patreon count as picking up something?

Got to say what a superbly presented set of books, I backed a load of KS so I can run the better half through some real D&D feel adventures.

Fuckin' joy to read aren't they.
It’s unbelievable, first set of rule books I haven’t wanted to tear my eyes out reading* in ages. I also love the balance between old school art yet not looking amateurish. Works of beauty.

*I don’t care how beautiful a book is if I can’t read the font due to size, text against background or you chose to write in hieroglyphs your bloody useless.

It’s unbelievable, first set of rule books I haven’t wanted to tear my eyes out reading* in ages. I also love the balance between old school art yet not looking amateurish. Works of beauty.

*I don’t care how beautiful a book is if I can’t read the font due to size, text against background or you chose to write in hieroglyphs your bloody useless.
Agreed. I was completely DONE with D&D style games until I read the PDFs of OSE.

Now I'm kicking myself for not having joined in the Kickstarter. Those books are impossible to find at a reasonable price (with reasonable shipping) here in Canada. But the PDFs are a delight too (nice indexing and hyperlinking).

Picked up OSE and does joining their Dolmenwood Patreon count as picking up something?
I'd definitely consider the Dolmenwood Patreon something worth mentioning.
Agreed. I was completely DONE with D&D style games until I read the PDFs of OSE.

Now I'm kicking myself for not having joined in the Kickstarter. Those books are impossible to find at a reasonable price (with reasonable shipping) here in Canada. But the PDFs are a delight too (nice indexing and hyperlinking).
If you have some patience, I doubt you are completely out of luck. Necrotic Gnome seems to do a fresh Kickstarter for the OSE line every time they run out of books to sell. I think they have done 3 or 4 so far. Sounds like they are due to run another.

Same, I’m hoping the Dolmenwood KS next year has the opportunity to grab the core books to.

I'd be tempted to sell some of my extra copies of the OSE books if my nephews hadn't already stolen them all.

Weird Frontiers arrived today (weird west DCC RPG). Pics beside Pathfinder 2E Core and D&D5E PHB for point of reference.

Attachments

• 4F60B8B1-0A4A-4161-AC3C-2EE77D174BF1.jpeg
    4F60B8B1-0A4A-4161-AC3C-2EE77D174BF1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 175CDD83-0617-468A-A00F-6B79BC8E5E48.jpeg
    175CDD83-0617-468A-A00F-6B79BC8E5E48.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 14
Picked up the Illuminati Pocket Box Bundle from Steve Jackson Games. I plan on buying the OGRE Bundle soon. Never played GURPS, but I have played In Nomine and The Fantasy Trip. Between those and games like Car Wars, Illuminati, etc. I'd say SJG is probably my favorite game company ever.

Curious about GURPS.

Edit: I already have the color version of Illuminati, plus all of the expansions, but man you can't beat the nostalgia of the pocket boxes. Plus the smaller cards make the 2019 reprint more portable and easier to play without taking up your whole table.

Last edited:
Weird Frontiers arrived today (weird west DCC RPG). Pics beside Pathfinder 2E Core and D&D5E PHB for point of reference.

I've watched a few videos of Weird Frontiers and it looks like a great 'little' game. I've got on the list to purchase a spare copy once all the KS ones have been fulfilled.

I've watched a few videos of Weird Frontiers and it looks like a great 'little' game. I've got on the list to purchase a spare copy once all the KS ones have been fulfilled.
I missed the KS but was fortunate enough to get in the order list before the books started coming in.

Just got the new 5e Spelljammer set, alt cover version from the FLGS.

Liking how concise these books are and the interior art is a nice mix of weird and the colourful. I will try and post more interior pics and thoughts on the content in the 5e thread this weekend.

20220825_201636.jpg

Just got the new 5e Spelljammer set, alt cover version from the FLGS.

Liking how concise these books are and the interior art is a nice mix of weird and the colourful. I will try and post more interior pics and thoughts on the content in the 5e thread this weekend.

View attachment 49095
I got the standard version. My kids are loving it. I have little murder hobos of my own now. I was worried I'd have to come up with an adventure on the fly and withing minutes of landing in port one is firing a ballista at random, another is trying to size up if he can kill the harbormaster and roll him for cash. The last one is fighting with the first the aim the ballista. Good times. Mother was a bit horrified.

I got the standard version. My kids are loving it. I have little murder hobos of my own now. I was worried I'd have to come up with an adventure on the fly and withing minutes of landing in port one is firing a ballista at random, another is trying to size up if he can kill the harbormaster and roll him for cash. The last one is fighting with the first the aim the ballista. Good times. Mother was a bit horrified.

I blame the dad.

I believe I may have mentioned this somewhere on the Pub but I can't recall exactly when or where: I originally late-backed for a POD copy for non-US backers, but the shipping costs turned out to be higher than the price of the books - the POD option has been split into two books - so the publisher kindly allowed me to switch to pdf-only. In hindsight this is probably for the better as I'm never really going to run this, fun as it looks.

Last edited:
Yesterday evening my copy of Gran Meccanismo arrived from Amazon. Their deliveries seem to be getting later and later into the evenings lately.

Anyway, that's by the by, the book arrived. It looks nice, the layout's good, and overall I'm very happy with what I've got for £16. It's a new RPG from Osprey. It's an alt-history, clockpunk game set in 16th century Florence. The system is the latest iteration of Graham Spearing's Wordplay system; which has now been rebranded as Tripod (TRiple Pools Of D6). I can't say I'm keen on the name Tripod and I think I'll just keep referring to it as Wordplay thanks! This new version is certainly slimmed down from the system presented in the previous Wordplay core rulebook and I think I noticed a couple of rules changes too but nothing hugely significant.

I think it depends on driver availability in a lot of cases since they started using independent drivers.

It's almost always been the same guy who delivers my Amazon packages for the last several months but recenly they've gone from being morning/lunchtime deliveries to evening ones. It's not really a problem at the moment as I'm still mostly working from home. It might be an issue as I start working from the office more though as most deliveries are arriving in an awkward spot (between 4:30 and 7:30) where I'll both be out of the house and office and my office's reception is closed too. :irritated: I'll just have to get things delivered to a locker and accept that I might be waiting an extra day or two to get them.

Where did you find a hard copy of Knock #1? I missed that one.
Sorry...I did reply to this, but I didn't quote your post. So you might not have seen. Apologies!

I got it on a FB group, paid $100 for all three. I thought it was a great price, considering #1 is very hard to find right now.

Picked up the Illuminati Pocket Box Bundle from Steve Jackson Games. I plan on buying the OGRE Bundle soon. Never played GURPS, but I have played In Nomine and The Fantasy Trip. Between those and games like Car Wars, Illuminati, etc. I'd say SJG is probably my favorite game company ever.

Curious about GURPS.
I love some GURPS. It's probably my "desert island" RPG. I know some folks find it, much like RM or Harnmaster, to be daunting because of the front-end work. But it really flows super smoothly after character creation, in my experience. The greatest strength of GURPS is that you can have exactly the character you envision. Not many other systems can accomplish that, in my opinion.

IMG_20220829_131530.png

Just got these 2 in the mail today. I've had the PDF of Mythras for awhile, but decided I needed a physical copy. The Monsters Know What They're Doing is a great blog I've enjoyed for years now, so I figured I'd snag his book. It's much beefier than I thought it would be. I have a few C&C books that should come later this week.

View attachment 49173

Just got these 2 in the mail today. I've had the PDF of Mythras for awhile, but decided I needed a physical copy. The Monsters Know What They're Doing is a great blog I've enjoyed for years now, so I figured I'd snag his book. It's much beefier than I thought it would be. I have a few C&C books that should come later this week.
I credit The Monsters Know blog with helping me attain 5e system mastery. Knowing the crunch isn't enough; he knows the crunch well enough to draw inferences which translate into gameable content.

Last edited:
Shiny and new, just the setting was enough to get me to pull the trigger on this:

Gran Meccanismo. Another Osprey Games RPG. Clockpunk Role-Playing in Da Vinchi's Florence. In other words, what if he had gotten to create his ideas?

EZD4URH.jpg

Quick glance through book impressions? They included a map of 1510 Italy! Take that Zorro RPG!

Not that much art, but what is there is fair-good. By not much I mean every four pages or so, when I'd love to see something every two pages.

Gran Meccanismo. Another Osprey Games RPG. Clockpunk Role-Playing in Da Vinchi's Florence. In other words, what if he had gotten to create his ideas?

Oh yes. I need that. Not want. I must have that.

It's a very interesting game. The setting is pretty cool and the bit of the book I've read so far is great. I don't think I could sell my friends on playing it unfortunately but it is worth picking up for a read if nothing else. It's not exactly expensive either. However, the rules are nice and easily hackable too so it's got a lot of potential utility and (assuming you don't have a version of the Wordplay/TRiPOD system already) it's good to have the system in hardcopy.

two more Osprey RPGs I'd not seen -

Amazon product

Amazon product

I'm interested in both of those too. Is it just me or has Osprey very quietly become a big deal in RPGs? Looking at the stuff they've released the last couple of years... there's a lot of very cool products there. I don't think there's ever been a company putting out so many different one off (more-or-less) games before.

Is it just me or has Osprey very quietly become a big deal in RPGs? Looking at the stuff they've released the last couple of years... there's a lot of very cool products there. I don't think there's ever been a company putting out so many different one off (more-or-less) games before.
They certainly have most of a full stable of them now, pretty much out of nowhere. The authors on these two are experienced too, though there is no house system. They don’t appear to care about that at all.

They certainly have most of a full stable of them now, pretty much out of nowhere. The authors on these two are experienced too, though there is no house system. They don’t appear to care about that at all.

I think it's great that they're going with a lot of niche settings with original, or at least less well known, systems behind them. It would be easy and very profitable (though much less interesting) for them to just churn out a line of 5E compatible sourcebooks.

Back in the day, it seemed like it was more common for RPG publishers to produce games with completely different systems, rather than using a house system the way many of them do now.

Back in the day, it seemed like it was more common for RPG publishers to produce games with completely different systems, rather than using a house system the way many of them do now.

The thinking behind that was that gamer groups tend to stick to what they know. Getting most groups to change, even mere edition changes is quite hard. By having several products (and products lines) that groups/players can change to WITHOUT MUCH IF ANY LEARNING CURVE, you have an increased market for those products (lines). It has worked pretty well for SJGs, HERO, Palladium, White Wolf, WotC, TSR, Tri-Tac, and others.

This was mentioned in my OSR thread, but as not everybody may read that thread

On a suggestion I picked up Ghastly Affair, a gothic game of romantic horror. System is level / class using OD&D or B/X as a foundation. The artwork has an appropriate Edward Gorey-esque feel to it, and the writing is much more than just D&D with the serial numbers filed off. The author goes into a lot of depth for how to run a game in the style of gothic horror / romance fiction, lots of do and don't suggestions. Much of the setting advice would be useful to an author wanting to write in the style.

I've been reading through the rules and am impressed enough that I will be ordering hard copies as well. Looks like a fun change of pace, hunting (or being hunted by) vampyres, wolfmen, and disgraced nobles through dark foggy streets and moors.

Not going to be everybody's thing but a well done adaption of D&D to an unusual genre.

1662006064118.png

I think this is cyclical. In the 70s and early 80s it was common for game publishers to offer a variety of completely independent games, using TSR as the example D&D, Boothill, Gamma World, Top Secret. Fantasy Games Unlimited had Chivalry & Sorcery, Flashing Blades, Merc which were entirely different games, but they also had Bushido, Aftermath and Daredevils which used the same base underlying system.

In the 1980s you really start to see house systems develop, Runequest was adapted with minor changes to run Call of Cthulhu, and then a variety of others including Stormbringer, Worlds of Wonder, and Superworld. Champions was adapted to a variety of lower powered genres with Justice Inc, Danger International, and Fantasy Hero.
In the mid to late 80s generic rule sets started to become popular, GURPS being the big one, but HERO quickly switched from stand alone games using a house system to a generic core with genre books (Champions initially remaining a stand alone game). The 90s saw a mix of stand alone, generic and house systems, but the d20 craze in the early 2000s I think placed a lot more emphasis on house (d20) systems, although generic continued to be popular as well. Seems like the last 5-10 years there has been some move back to completely independent games although there are still plenty of examples of generic and house system games.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back