Tell us about something good that you got recently

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Wow! Great buy.
Sure is, considering how much folks try to sell it for online these days.

Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl that is a great edition in that it also includes a whole bunch of info from the few modules made for the game, including setting info that was not in the original boxed set.

I know lots of folks who like to use for the cops side of the cops versus crooks equation, but I still think it works best for the gangster, get-rich-or-die-trying side of the equation.

Recovered from storage three hundred miles away after a mere thirty-eight years. There is only one lord of the books; only one who can bend them to his will.View attachment 50665

Your storage must have been much better than mine, or you just got lucky. My storage unit after 17/18 years had so much moisture that all the clothing and books were ruined. (sigh) Congrats though!

Wow! Great buy.

Gangbusters is an awesome game.

Sure is, considering how much folks try to sell it for online these days.

Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl that is a great edition in that it also includes a whole bunch of info from the few modules made for the game, including setting info that was not in the original boxed set.

I know lots of folks who like to use for the cops side of the cops versus crooks equation, but I still think it works best for the gangster, get-rich-or-die-trying side of the equation.

Skimming through it, it does seem to be a neat little ruleset, covering pretty much everything you would need for this sort of game.

And with competing factions with varying objectives being allowed, if not actively encouraged, it almost seems tailor made for a Braunstein-style game.

Skimming through it, it does seem to be a neat little ruleset, covering pretty much everything you would need for this sort of game.

And with competing factions with varying objectives being allowed, if not actively encouraged, it almost seems tailor made for a Braunstein-style game.
Absolutely!

Iwas very young when I first bought it in the 80s, and didn't get the Braunstein aspect, but boy, that's exactly what the game is, especially for the gangsters,

If you can find it at a reasonable price, the GB Murder in Harmony module (and to an extent, the Death in Spades module) actually give the investigator PCs stuff to do other than harass the snot out of the gangster characters. I suspect that, played as a Braunstein style game, GB characters should always get cronies (per the optional rules) and probably be bumped up to 3rd level, given their full 3rd level XPs-to-Spend on skills (as well as their freebie skill), and the GM should still have either random tables of events or some background "campaign front" type things working (stolen from Dungeon World) based on the city info provided in the book.

Furthering my DCC material are the following books, Empire of East and MCC core book and GM screen. (I always try to snag those when I can). Also the megadungeon by Greg Gillespie. It gets great reviews as a megadungeon so I couldn't resist getting a copy. DCC is a lot of fun and it's what I play on Sundays, so it made sense for me to snag the MCC and Empire of the East. (Plus I like Fred Saberhagen's books)

View attachment 47243

Man, I love their art on these covers

1666332971099.jpg
Under the Surface for Airship Daedalus, Maximum Mutagenesis for DCC, Adventure Perilous from Simian Circle Games (of Far Away Land fame), and The Toxic Wood with stats for Old-School Essentials. The top two are DTRPG POD purchases, the bottom two are Kickstarter rewards.

Last edited:
3rik 3rik How is the "Toxic Wood" hexcrawl adventure? I noted that it was a part of a Kickstarter and I was pondering snagging it on DriveThruRpg since it's available there now.

3rik 3rik How is the "Toxic Wood" hexcrawl adventure? I noted that it was a part of a Kickstarter and I was pondering snagging it on DriveThruRpg since it's available there now.
It looks pretty great. A dense, thin zine full of toxic goodness and lovely illustrations. Lots of tables. It's statted for Old-School Essentials so basically can be used with little to no effort with most OSR rules.

The info on the DTRPG page, together with the preview, gives a pretty good impression of the product and so does the Kickstarter page:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/407138/The-Toxic-Wood

Last edited:
This is the map book one needs to use The Book of the Smoke a Trail of Cthulhu supplement providing a gazetteer of occult London, c. 1930 published by Pelgrane. Yup, one is expected to source a genuine 1930 book in order to use a RPG supplement.

As it happens this gem comes from a hospice charity bookshop and I was glad to buy it. In addition, I’m very fond of Pelgrane products. But, really publishers - provide decent maps! The sequel to The Book of the Smoke, Guide to New Jerusalem, is now in pre-order for a not inconsequential sum. I wonder which rare tome GMs will be expected to hunt down. Has anyone tried the Fearful Symmetry campaign?263D569D-ECCD-4D8E-80D0-53F836EE8CB2.jpeg

I just snagged the Night Shade Weird Bundle of Holding. It features the collected works of William Hope Hodgson & Clark Ashton Smith, as well as The Book of Cthulhu I and II. A lot of great ebooks for the prince; The Hodgson ebooks alone cost about 50 bucks on Amazon. While not rpg material, it's rpg adjacent, because of all the inspiration they can provide.

It's crappy pic time! Yeah!
DSC_0025[1].jpg

So, left to right:

HAUNTED WEST: a 800 pages tome of Old West roleplaying, From what I've read and skimmed so far: that's pretty solid stuff. Loads and loads of background (making it easy to run a purely historical campaign if you wish to), an alternate reconstructon timeline and plenty of weird stuff if you wish to add those elements in your campaign. System-wise it's a bit all other the place but basically it's modified BRP with some changes that I don't like but hey, it's BRP , one of the simplest system to tailor to your needs. Overall I like it. A 2nd edition in two volumes with better layout/illustrations would do the game a ton of good but I'm happy with what I have nonetheless.

CALL OF CTHULHU 5th edition (french edition): I really like this edition (even though I like some changes brought by 7th edition). Easy to use, to read,, I love the black & white illustrations, good adventures, plenty of lore... It's nice, it's compact. I sold it a long time ago and always regretted it. Now it's back home.

CHILDREN OF FEAR: a rather classic Cthulhu campaign (prevent Cult Y from doing X, with a small twist I won't spoil here). There's a ton of historical background, I'm cool with that, it's one of CoC's strength as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to run it with Chinese characters running after the Investigators you're supposed to play. An unholy mix of Call of Cthulhu and a 90s Hong-Kong flick (Gunmen for the win).

View attachment 50937
Under the Surface for Airship Daedalus, Maximum Mutagenesis for DCC, Adventure Perilous from Simian Circle Games (of Far Away Land fame), and The Toxic Wood with stats for Old-School Essentials. The top two are DTRPG POD purchases, the bottom two are Kickstarter rewards.
Under the Surface is an amazing pulp sourcebook - good buy!

As a birthday present to myself, I got the Marvel United Xmen playmat (photos are not mine):

44D720E6-DE36-449F-8CC4-7C1A89117B0B.jpeg

It really makes the game run more smoothly. Not crucial at all, but I loved how it streamlined play. It is reversible! On the other side all of the text and sections suit a single player, or if everyone is sitting on the same side of the table:

6863A2FC-4013-47FB-85EF-099B1C0B517B.jpeg

(again, photos are not mine)

I payed DOUBLE what the KS backers did for this, but it was worth it. I love this game.

As a birthday present to myself, I got the Marvel United Xmen playmat (photos are not mine):

View attachment 51177

It really makes the game run more smoothly. Not crucial at all, but I loved how it streamlined play. It is reversible! On the other side all of the text and sections suit a single player, or if everyone is sitting on the same side of the table:

View attachment 51178

(again, photos are not mine)

I payed DOUBLE what the KS backers did for this, but it was worth it. I love this game.
I have the original mat. It’s the only game I have a mat for. Totally agree it adds a lot to the game in terms of organisation and presence.

I backed the Kickstarter for that, but only at the pdf level. Would love to get it in print! IIRC it consists of two books, right?
Oh, not exactly. Correction: There's a complete edition and a Player's Guide. Everything from the Player's Guide is also in the complete edition.

Oh, not exactly. Correction: There's a complete edition and a Player's Guide. Everything from the Player's Guide is also in the complete edition.

I got the complete book in the mail. I did print up the Player's Guide after getting the pdf, so I'd have a copy for players to look at as needed

read as in need to read. Which is quite high at the moment.
I could give you a run for your money. I have a high one still in my kitchen that I haven't taken into my gaming room yet!

I got the complete book in the mail. I did print up the Player's Guide after getting the pdf, so I'd have a copy for players to look at as needed
I hope to get a hold of a print copy sometime. Hopefully some of them will make their way to a relatively nearby gamestore. Do you have a pic?

Weird Frontiers and Starforged dropped today...

SAM_8256.JPG

That figure is to give you an idea of scale. Weird Frontiers is frickin' huuuuuuuuuuuge!

SAM_8257.JPG

:shock:

I thought Against the Darkmaster was a hefty/silly-sized tome but I'd not yet seen this Megalodon of a book!

Finally got all my FASA Thieves' World game modules. Including one that I'd never been able to get my hands on. The mini-module that was given out at a convention. "The Blue Camel". There supposedly was another game module in planning that never was released that was to be called "Vengeance", if I recall. Thieves World FASA Game Modules.jpg

Also my order from Chaosium came in for their new RuneQuest Weapons and Armor book arrived. Really nicely done. Plus the eBay order of just the book for Stormbringer 2e arrived, that I can compare to the 1st edition box set trio books. :smile: Stormbringer 2e & RQG Weapons & Equipment book.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back